• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances in January ?

Villeneuve1979

Hi everybody,

Recently arrived to the site and am excited that to be embarking upon walking the Camino Frances in January 2012. The plan at the moment is to start walking from St Jean to Santiago on the morning of January 3.

By virtue of the fact that I am a Proffessional Tennis Coach and used to taking time off during a short off season, I am bound to consider a Winter Pilgrimage, rather than a Spring or Summer One. I have already gleaned valuable insights into the specifics of preparation for Jan /Feb, but would be interested to hear from members who had any info on the following :-

1) I would prefer to complete the 750 mile route without the need to bring a tent and camping equipment. Will this be possible in reality, with so many albergue's and refugios shut ?

2) Has anybody completed a pilgrimage along the Camino Frances in January without having had the need to pitch a tent ? Does anybody know of any Pelegrino accommodation that will definitley be open especially in early Jan ?

3) I have heard that Hospitalleros can sometimes be prevailed upon to open for out-of-season pelagrinos. John Brierley has stated in his book ' A pilgrim's guide to the Camino De Santiago', ' I have never wanted for a bed or a floor to sleep on, at this time of year'. I am guessing that much depends on the ingenuity of the pilgrim ?!

Buen Camino, to those of you walking in 2012. :D

Damian

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Damian,
I really don't think you'll need to camp out (or want to) especially in mid-winter.
If I was walking in winter I would have a day-by-day stage itinerary worked out in advance based on the distance I like to walk and on staying in places likely to have open albergues.
I would check this website for opening months of all the albergues on the Camino Frances.
caminodesantiago.consumer.es
I would take my cell-phone because there is no real guarantee that those places will definitely be open. I would ask the hospitalero or a fellow peregrino to phone ahead to see if the next place is open.
I would work out my daily stages using this website:
www.godesalco.com/plan
(It doesn't start from St Jean but you can a day or two onto your plan for St Jean to Roncesvalles).
Many albergues open in April and close at the end of October - mainly because they can't get volunteers in winter and there are not sufficient pilgrims to warrant the expense of lighting, water, heating etc.
The majority of albergues are in buildings owned by the church or the municipality and don't have resident hospitaleros who could open for you. Most of these are staffed by volunteers who serve for two weeks and then move on.
If you have suffcient funds for your Camino, you could also book ahead at pensiones, hostales, fondas or small hotels.
I hope you have a mild, clear, snow and rain-free Camino.

My experience this February was a good one, Villeneuve. I had a small tarp/tent arrangement, but never used it. Mind you, I was prepared to stay in hostales and other private accommodation. If one asks very nicely but insistently about prices before being conducted to a room, the news is usually good. Sometimes the heating is down or off, so it pays to have a good sleeping bag at night, but I found that staying dry was the key to walking in winter. A phone and Miam Miam Dodo guide wouldn't be a bad idea.

At least you won't get so hot and thirsty on the meseta!

Rob

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am beginning from leon and will be arriving on the 6th of january 2012. Looking to be in santiago de compostela by the 18th of january. From all the posts I have read there is at least one albergue open per town/city. It is not as bad as non camino walkers have made it out to be, in fact the people who have walked it in winter seem to have enjoyed themselves much more.

Perhaps I will see you out there!
Best of luck

Hi

At the beginning of the Holy Year 2010 I walked through New Year from Ponferrada and a couple of years before I walked from St Jean in November. I'd endorse all of Sil's advice. Have a reserve of cash in case you need to use hostels at times. Talk to the hospitaleros and find out what albergues are open ahead of you and plan ahead accordingly. You will not need a tent and you will always find a bed - but sometimes it does take some planning and altering the stages you are walking to fit in with what is available. You'll have a blast.

Buen Camino

John

I walked starting in very early March and worried a bit about the same thing as people said (on this forum and elsewhere) that lots of albergues would be closed. I very easily found albergues to sleep in each night. I realize that more will likely be closed in January than in March but I don't think you should have a problem. It was mainly a case of a town that had two or three albergues that maybe only one of them would be open. I would not bring camping gear. You might have to stay in a pension a few nights but I would imagine you could find an albergue each night. Early on, the open albergues should be able to tell you which albergues ahead are opened and you can plan your route each day based on that information. I'd rather walk in January than July. Have fun.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Thank you so much for your replies to the subject above. I feel apart of the Camino experience already ! It would seem that at least the Municipal refugios and albergues will be open throughout January even if nothing else is.

I will order a forum members badge today and display on my back pack with pride !

Will any other members be on the route in Jan. I will be walking from St Jean on ther morning of Wed 3 January.

Joyeux Noel ! :D

P.S. Does anybody know if the eccentric character Ramon in the film 'The Way' is based on an actual hospitallero ?

Ramon featured in Jack Hitt's book which was written some years ago. I'm not sure if he is still around but there are many others to spice up the Camino!

Hello Damian,

I am planning on starting the Camino Frances in SJPP on Jan 2, 2012. Are you still planning on walking in January? It's nice to know at least one other person will be on the trail!

Beth Ann

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Beth Anne,

Yes I will be walking from St Jean on Jan 4 after having arrived in Biarritz the day before. I've picked up on your early posts re coming into St Jean from Ronscevalles on Jan 2. Will you be staying in St Jean that evening before walking on 3rd ? Yes, like wise it is comforting to know that there is another soul out there !

Its raining hard here in York, but good prepaeration for conditions we are likely to face for our Winter Camino. How to stay dry will the name of the game I think.

It would be lovely to meet you at some point along the way I hope.

Merry Xmas and Buen Camino ! Im sure we'll both have a blast ! :D
Damian

Hi Damian,

Yes I will be getting into SJPP on the evening of Jan 2, and will start walking the next morning. Are you planning on staying in alburgues? I am, as long as they are open. I am sure we'll run into each other at some point.

Happy Holidays!
Beth Ann

Hi Beth Ann (apologies for spelling your name wrong in my previous post)

Yes. There will be at least one albergue or refugio open in most towns I am reliably led to believe, so will stay in pellegrino accomm forthe most part, and perhaps the odd night or 2 in hotels or pensiones.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, like wise it is comforting to know that there is another soul out there !
Fourteen pilgrims today in the Santiago Pilgrim Office! You won't be alone, but you won't find a crowd.

Most read last week in this forum

On the Camino Del Norte. Surprised by the amount of pilgrims. Many mature pilgrims, like myself with a few Caminos under their belt, mostly appear to be staying in hotels. If staying in hotels be...
Hi I just joined and will be doing a solo walk from SJPP to Finisterre in May Jun 2025... long time to go yet but VV excited ... will be finalising dates and flights from Canberra as soon as...
For those of you who are using the ATM colour chart. One bank is suggested at less than 2 Euro when in fact was 4.50 Euro per withdrawal
Hello Pilgrims, I am Brendan an Australian Scot. I am new to the forum, but not new to the Camino. On Tuesday May 28 I will start on my seventh Camino the Norte from San Sebastián. I will try and...
I am looking for people who want to walk the camino del norte in may 2025 - starting from Irun, Bilbao or another place. Nice to hear from you.
Ciao everyone, just a quick introduction. I'll be starting my Camino from SJPP on June 6th 2024 I've always been curious and for now I'm taking it with a grain of salt and cautious optimism...but...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back