• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances in March. Warm clothes

jjev

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances '23
Hello everyone,

I will start my Camino Frances on 6th of March from SJPP.

I have a question regarding warm clothes.
I've watched several videos and some people walk in shorts, others wear sweaters and hats. Its totaly confusing.

What should I take?

At the moment list looks like this:
1. Trailrunners
2. Xero sandals
3. Waterproof socks
4. Hiking socks x2
5. Hiking pants
6. Shorts
7. Long sleeve t-shirt - merino
8. Short sleeve t-shirt - merino
9. Fleece hoody
10. Buff
11. Cap
12. Raincoat

I was thinking maybe I need to swith fleece with down puff hoodie or keep fleece and take down vest?

All ideas are appreciated!
Thx

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have walked in the autumnal equivalent to March (November) a few times. Recommend a packable down, and a fleece mid-layer (but not a hoody because they are a pain in the butt with the pack and poncho. Get a full zip so you can vent it without having to take it off), long sleeve and short sleeve merino base layer. I always solve the warmth and wet issue for the legs with a combination of running tights (synthetic is better in the wet, I find) and convertible pants. Next shoulder season I will have my Fjallraven KEB trousers (They are vented!) and the running tights layer.
A raincoat will get saturated where your pack straps press into it. Get yourself a poncho that goes over your pack (Altus makes a good but expensive one. Decathlon makes a good and inexpensive one.)
I do usually have hiking sandals even in the colder season because you can still get warm, sunny days, a need for dry shoes etc. and you can -- on a camino anyway -- wear your preferred hiking sock with them and nobody will look at you sideways.
Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Definitely layers. March is likely to be still snowy, both in the Pyrenees and then later ranges like Cebreiro. I tend to be warm all the time, but I think I did not wear shorts during April the three times I walked that month

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
T
Hello everyone,

I've watched several videos and some people walk in shorts, others wear sweaters and hats. Its totaly confusing.

What should I take?

1. Trailrunners
2. Xero sandals
3. Waterproof socks
4. Hiking socks x2
5. Hiking pants
6. Shorts
9. Fleece hoody
10. Buff
11. Cap
12. Raincoat

I was thinking maybe I need to swith fleece with down puff hoodie or keep fleece and take down vest?

Thx
This would be a layer short for my taste. I have a base layer t-shirt and mid-layer trekking shirt, to which I can add a fleece and then a rain-jacket. The t-shirt and trekking shirt are duplicated, but I only carry one fleece and rain-jacket. I wear hiking pants, although I will choose a weight that suits the season.

You could get sufficient layers to stay warm with what you have, but if that is all you are carrying, you won't have clean dry clothes to change into at the end of the day when you want to do your washing. I have seen someone walk like this. We shared a room at Atapuerca, and once he had showered, he covered himself with his sleeping bag to do his washing, and spent the rest of the afternoon in our room huddled up in his bag. Other than a short foray into the dining room to eat some tinned food he had brought with him for dinner, that's where he stayed until the next morning.

As an aside, I have never had any issue with my rain jacket wetting through from my pack straps, even in very wet conditions. And when I walked the CF starting in late Mar, the coldest days weren't in the Pyrenees, but later around Logrono where there were a couple of days of very bitter mornings.

You should be prepared for the alpine weather to turn quickly crossing the Pyrenees, but having crossed them I posted the thermal gear that I had for that back to friends in England. You could also post it to Santiago. Ivar has a baggage store there that I have used a couple of times to good effect.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

What should I take?

1. Trailrunners
2. Xero sandals
3. Waterproof socks
4. Hiking socks x2
5. Hiking pants
6. Shorts
9. Fleece hoody
10. Buff
11. Cap
12. Raincoat

Thx
Hi jjev, while I have not walked in March, I have gone thru the angst of planning for a cold weather Camino. I wore a long sleeve tech shirt, a fleece hoodie, and a waterproof windbreaker. That combo worked fine for me. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello @Perambulating Griffin , @Vacajoe , @dougfitz ,@henrythedog and @CaminoKentucky

Thank you for the input. I've reconsidered my list accordingly, new items are in bold:

1. Trailrunners
2. Xero sandals
3. Waterproof socks
4. Hiking socks x2
5. Hiking pants
6. Convertible hiking pants instead of shorts
7. Running tights or similar
8. Long sleeve t-shirt - merino
9. Short sleeve t-shirt - merino
9. Thin Fleece full zip
10. Fleece hooded jacket
10. Buff
11. Cap / Hat
12. Raincoat
13. Cheap Poncho. I will take one just in case bad weather in Perynees.
14. Gloves

What do you think?

Take a puffy. I’ve walked many times in mid-April and have encountered warm days and white-out snow on May 12th at Cruz de Fero. I hadn’t taken gloves or beanie in the spring as my first Camino was in the fall, I learned quickly the the spring can be cold. Plenty of days it was below freezing when I started walking. Then a week later I would be by a stream picnicking in short sleeves.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello @Perambulating Griffin , @Vacajoe , @dougfitz ,@henrythedog and @CaminoKentucky

Thank you for the input. I've reconsidered my list accordingly, new items are in bold:

1. Trailrunners
2. Xero sandals
3. Waterproof socks
4. Hiking socks x2
5. Hiking pants
9. Thin Fleece full zip
10. Fleece hooded jacket
10. Buff
11. Cap / Hat
12. Raincoat
14. Gloves

What do you think?
Looks good to me.

Depends on how you cope with cold temperatures. I know I get cold easily - so even in June/July 2021 I had layers as you seem to be packing, but I also had in terms of upper body the following:
1 tank top
2 t-shirts
1 thin long sleeve sun shirt
1 3/4 zip merino wool pullover
1 down puffy with a hood
1 rain jacket

It happened to be unseasonably cold on the Camino that year - and I ended up wearing all my layers in the early morning and in the evenings (and was still cold) - so I ended up buying a fleece. The following year - I brought everything described above - except the wool pullover and the fleece - and was just fine (late May-June 2022)

Lower body I was fine wearing running shorts (when warm) or my leggings (when cold) - I ended up not wearing my convertible hiking pants at all. Especially after I started losing weight and they were too loose on me. I found stretchy was better -but if you wear hiking/convertible pants - you might want to ensure you have a belt!

If you bring a buff you shouldn't need a cap - a buff can be used for head warmth.
You don't need a rain jacket AND a poncho. I prefer the rain jacket since it also serves as a windbreaker or extra warmth layer on very cold days.

And given a choice between fleece or down puffy - I personally prefer the down puffy as it is usually lighter and packs smaller. Also - it is easier to buy a cheap fleece in Spain than a cheap down puffy if you find you need more warmth than you brought.

1. Trailrunners
2. Xero sandals
3. Waterproof socks
4. Hiking socks x2
5. Hiking pants
9. Thin Fleece full zip
10. Fleece hooded jacket
10. Buff
11. Cap / Hat
12. Raincoat
14. Gloves

What do you think?
I walk in November/December and I have a down/synthetic jacket that is super light. I am sure it is lighter than the fleece.hooded jacket and just as warm. I can roll it up tight and stick it in the back pouch of my pack without a problem. I would replace the thin fleece zip and have two marino long sleeve pullovers. They will dry faster and smell alot fresher. Probably lighter also. If it is really cold with a mid weight long sleeve merino pullover. and my jacket I always warm. In fact many mornings I am looking to take something off after 15 minutes or so even if it is around freezing. I don't know how warm running tights are but I alway use a midweight base layer bottom that I wear under my pants. When it starts to get warm later in your camino, especially as you head into Galicia it will probably will still be pretty chilly in the morning. If you put the base layer bottoms on and then your shorts you will be warm in the morning. As the sun comes up and the temperature rises you can easily stop take off your shorts and base layer bottoms. Stick the bottom in your pack and put your shorts back on and you are off again. I would also take one quick dry t-shirt as it will get pretty warm on some days and pretty warm in the albergue. To tell you the truth I only take one merino wool pullover and one t-shirt and I do great.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My husband and I hiked the Camino Frances starting on March 6, 2022 and arriving in Santiago on April 16. We had a couple of beautiful warm days and we also had snow. It was colder than I expected it to be. I packed 3 short sleeve merino t shirts and 2 long sleeve merino t shirts. I also brought a fleece and a rain jacket. Packed a headband for my ears, a waterproof baseball cap (to keep the rain off of my glasses), waterproof gloves and a buff for my neck. I did not bring a winter coat. A few days I had all of the above on as the day started out at 22 degrees F. Most of the time I wore one or two long sleeve and one short sleeve merino t shirts, fleece, turtle, headband and cap. I only wore my gloves once or twice although my husband wore his gloves most days. My husband brought shorts but only wore them a couple of days near the end.
When we reached Astorga we had snow flurries. We saw on the news that evening that parts of the Camino Frances (parts we had already hiked) were closed because of the snow. It was a fairly big snowstorm. We had 4 awful rain/wind blowing/very cold days. Good rain gear is important.
There is so much beauty on the Camino. It was a trip of a life-time! Wonderful memories!
God bless you and I wish you a wonderful Camino!
Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Fleece? Big No! - Remember, "Kotton Kills!"

Always use breathable synthetic or wool. Even my underwear is not cotton.

For winter hiking, look at ski base wear, like Under Armour ColdGear shirts and pants. It's also good to wear when shoveling snow at home.

-Paul

Cheap Poncho. I will take one just in case bad weather in Perynees.

You can encounter bad weather on other parts of the trail. The Pyrenees doesn't have a monopoly on bad weather. And you do know that regardless of weather that the Napoleon route will be closed on March?

Fleece? Big No! - Remember, "Kotton Kills!"
???
I've never seen a fleece jacket made of cotton. We aren't talking about sweatshirt fabric. They are generally synthetic.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My first Camino in 2013 was in March/April. Layers & Layers that should be our mindset. You’ll start in cool temps, you’ll heat up quickly. Yes it’ll rain, be prepared. Spend on a good raincoat and poncho. No gortex footwear either. Don’t breathe well. If they get wet, which they will, gortex dries very slowly.

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A selection of Camino Jewellery

1. Trailrunners
2. Xero sandals
3. Waterproof socks
4. Hiking socks x2
5. Hiking pants
9. Thin Fleece full zip
10. Fleece hooded jacket
10. Buff
11. Cap / Hat
12. Raincoat
14. Gloves

What do you think?
I'd ditch the fleece hood for a down jacket or equivalent (I have a Patagonia Micro Puff) as this will provide better warmth but pack smaller and, as said above, without a hood which is just a faff and you already have cap/hat/buff. Good Luck.

I'd ditch the fleece hood for a down jacket or equivalent (I have a Patagonia Micro Puff) as this will provide better warmth but pack smaller and, as said above, without a hood which is just a faff and you already have cap/hat/buff. Good Luck
Thx for the input!
I might then take North Face Thermoball instead. Its actually warmer than micro puff.

But then it looks like I have too much warm clothes.

If I layer up merino long sleeve + thin fleece or 2nd merino + thermoball + raincoat, I can hike in -15C easily.

I doubt that it will be that cold, so maybe I am taking too much?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello everyone,

What should I take?

1. Trailrunners
2. Xero sandals
3. Waterproof socks
4. Hiking socks x2
5. Hiking pants
6. Shorts
9. Fleece hoody
10. Buff
11. Cap
12. Raincoat

Thx
Think layers. I would take rain jacket instead of a rain coat. It can be used for rain or for a top layer if you are cold. Instead of shorts, consider zip off pants, midweight leggings, and rain pants as a lower body layering system.
I like layers of sleeveless shirt, then long sleeve shirt, then fleece, and finally raincoat for cold Weather--but March may cause you to either add a puff vest or change out the fleece for a packable puff jacket (if you are in the US, you can at least check out a 10 day weather forecast before you leave).
I always use ultrasil waterproof bags for all of my gear. I also bring along a large, strong plastic bag to line by back pack--or a backpack cover--for rainy weather.

Hello everyone,

What should I take?

1. Trailrunners
2. Xero sandals
3. Waterproof socks
4. Hiking socks x2
5. Hiking pants
6. Shorts
9. Fleece hoody
10. Buff
11. Cap
12. Raincoat

All ideas are appreciated!w

Hello everyone,

What should I take?

1. Trailrunners
2. Xero sandals
3. Waterproof socks
4. Hiking socks x2
5. Hiking pants
6. Shorts
9. Fleece hoody
10. Buff
11. Cap
12. Raincoat

Thx
We walked late April! Definitely layers and most mornings wore a light puffer jacket! Not an Everest type but a 550 fill very light and squishes into one of it's pockets.

Hello everyone,

What should I take?

1. Trailrunners
2. Xero sandals
3. Waterproof socks
4. Hiking socks x2
5. Hiking pants
6. Shorts
9. Fleece hoody
10. Buff
11. Cap
12. Raincoat

Thx
Light wool sweater + raincoat is all you'll need to keep warm. Remember, you're walking.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello everyone,

What should I take?

1. Trailrunners
2. Xero sandals
3. Waterproof socks
4. Hiking socks x2
5. Hiking pants
6. Shorts
9. Fleece hoody
10. Buff
11. Cap
12. Raincoat

Thx
For that time of the year, forget shorts and short sleeves. I brought 2 long sleeve shirts, and one short sleeve (usually to sleep in but occasionally to layer with and used for a couple of days during warmer weather). Also, long sleeves are used for SPF - it may be cold during this time of year but the sun is deceivingly strong enough to get you a sunburn.

Forget the shorts as you will not use them during that time of year. Bring convertible hiking pants if you want to have a pair shorts....but you will not probably use the convertible part (shorts) as the weather will probably not be warm enough. I brought a pair of very lightweight hiking pants and a pair of convertible.

I recommend that you bring two fleece jackets or a fleece jacket and a puffy jacket so that you can layer up for colder days and there will be some. I strongly recommend that you bring a hat to protect your head from the sun and a beanie and gloves for the colder days.

You do NOT need waterproof socks even though I do not know what that means. I brought 3 pairs of medium cushion hiking wool socks and 3 pairs of thin liner socks and wore trail runners. Flip flop for end of day use is great.

A rain over-coat and rain over-pants are important to have in my opinion when it is cold and raining with a strong wind. These can also used as windbreakers for very cold and windy days. Though you sweat terribly in them and forget as Goretex simply does not work in my opinion!

A buff is lightweight and can be handy. I used the hoodie of my rain over-coat that had a drawstring that I could pull tight on when the cold wind was blowing in my face.

Last edited:
What should I take?

Sorry folks, for this thread I skipped all the responding posts before this.

I suggest bringing an old sweater or sweatshirt with you for a few days to make sure you're warm enough in the Pyrenees. Donate it once you are in Pamplona.

I believe it will be accepted at the Albergue de Pamplona (AKA Pamplona Hostel). It is right on the camino, first albergue on the left, shortly after entering the walled city. Look for the stylized fat red pilgrim. Click map to expand.

foto_no_exif.png

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.