• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Forum Topic... Portable Clothes Wringer?

Time of past OR future Camino
2022, 2023, 2024, 2025
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask...

It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well, and I wish I had a wringer available to squeeze out more water.

My question for all the wise pilgrims out there... has anyone found a portable wringer that has worked well for them?

I found this one via Google, but not sure if's any good or not... Amazon Link To Lightweight Portable Wringer.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask...

It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well, and I wish I had a wringer available to squeeze out more water.

My question for all the wise pilgrims out there... has anyone found a portable wringer that has worked well for them?

I found this one via Google, but not sure if's any good or not... Amazon Link To Lightweight Portable Wringer.
Just use two pilgies! One at either end of your garment! :)

Samarkand.

Sorry but that's about as sensible as taking a Rice Cooker! (long story)

I wouldn't use that on my clothes as it would ruin them.
If you have quick drying clothes it's not hard to get them dry.
Just do your laundry as a 'first' thing after checking in to give maximum drying time.

Squeeze the washed clothes.
And then folding your towel around them and walking on it can draw our more water......

NB. The Donativo in Rabanal (Gaucelmo) has an electric spinner!

You could get the same effect as that device passing your clothes over a tap, around a pipe or similar....
Just don't wreck the plumbing!.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you have a towel, roll the items to be ‘wrung’ in it, like a Swiss Roll, then with clean bare feet stand on and walk on the spot on the roll.

It’ll get a remarkable amount of the water out.

I have no helpful suggestions as to how to then dry your towel.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just roll the clothes like a swiss roll, then wring them.

I second the suggestion to place already wrung socks/underwear in a quick-dry travel towel, roll it, and wring it. Even more moisture will transfer to the towel.

By the way.. wringing clothes damages them a lot. The shape, stitching, fibres. The more pressure the more damage. I'd suggest (in good weather) attach damp clothes to your backpack and let the sun take care of them as you walk. I've often done it with socks and underwear (no shame) and even a t-shirt.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That thing weighs 340 gms.
That kind of weight really has to 'earn' it's way into my pack!

Wonder how much the ‘portable washer’ weighs 😂

From Amazon description of this ‘portable clothes wringer’:

“ It is the perfect companion to any portable washer or manual washing machine!”

Last edited:
The Donativo in Rabanal (Gaucelmo) has an electric spinner!
If I had a nonprofit camino foundation, my first project would be to make sure all albergues had one of these. It reduces drying time immensely and virtually eliminates dripping.

I remember that the albergue in Pamplona long long ago used to have one, and it worked wonders, especially since at that time there was no outdoor drying space! .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

On the second day of our first camino, when we started washing and wringing our clothes, a delightful Irish lady who had grown up in a convent came over to us and showed us how to do it quickly and efficiently. From that day on, in the 9 camino paths we have walked, we never had a problem. Of course, please, please take wicking clothing, including quick drying socks.

I'm sure others in this thread came spell it out step-by-step, and I would defer to any Irish lady who grew up in a convent! If not, I'll detail the process in a later message.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Have you never learned the "roll and stomp" technique? I have been drying clothes in accommodations all over the world for some 50 years using this technique.

Lay out your portable towel on a flat service - Over several years of experimentation, I settled on using a microfiber yoga towel that folds small, yet is long enough to cover my XXL magnificent corpulence. this is WITHOUT the grippy dots on one side. It allows me to get from a shower area to my bunk completely covered. It rides as padding at the bottom of my rucksack, in a Ziplock bag.

Lay your hand-wrung clothing on the flat towel. Then, starting at one end, tightly roll the clothing up in the towel.

You will end up with a rolled up towel with clothing inside - looks like a fancy dessert roll. Walk on the rolled up towel on the floor. Do this walking / stomping part a couple of times, turning the rolled towel to a different perspective. Two to four times is usually enough.

Once finished, unroll the towel. Your clothing will have all possible water extracted from it. The towel will be wet. When I stay in a hotel-type accommodation, I use their towel to do this.

You will stlll need to hang your clothes to dry. But they will dry A LOT faster this way. In fact, I have immediately worn microfiber shirts and boxer shorts after rolling and stomping.

Hang the towel to dry. It will be good-to-go the next morning. In a bunk bed scenario, I use the towel - hung side-wise - as a privacy barrier / curtain. Hang it with clothes pins or binder clips (always carry a few for situations like this. This does a dual purpose, provides some privacy while drying. In a hotel, just hang your towel over a shower rod to dry.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Laundry spinners, also known as rotary extractors, are great but perhaps too costly for many albergues.

Has anyone ever used a (clean) mechanical mop squeezer to extract water from a bunch of wet laundry? No twisting of the textiles required.

More "Stuff' To carry is NOT the answer. Everything you carry should have at least two defined and defensible uses. You should be in the habit of applying this two-use test for everything you plan to wear or pack. Only the rare exception has a single use. Try it.

The roll and stomp - using a yoga towel - has at least six demonstrable uses:
1. To cover and dry ME.
2. To use to roll and stomp clothing to dry it.
3. As a privacy divider in a albergue, bunk-bed situation where the bunks are bumped up to each other.
4. As a light blanket on an airplane or when sleeping.
5. As a head and shoulder covering shawl for warmth when needed.
6. As an emergency location marker panel - if you bought a bright color - mine is bright orange. In a remote area, it can guide rescuers seeking me by air.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I admit this is the first time I have heard of the roll and stomp method.
What a brilliant idea!

I have always hand wrung and then hung to dry. Mostly dry clothes at the end. But I can see that this would be far superior!

Thanks for the tip!

G

I admit this is the first time I have heard of the roll and stomp method.
What a brilliant idea!

I have always hand wrung and then hung to dry. Mostly dry clothes at the end. But I can see that this would be far superior!

Thanks for the tip!

G
I guess you could call our process "Wring, roll and stomp." And if there's time and room on the string to hang them, do so. And we have had times when rain resoaked some clothes. This is why we always carry diaper pins to attach wet socks and others on our backpacks.

Never carry something you don't need. Pilgrims over the centuries have come up with ingenious ways to resolve problems!

I remember an albergue having a manual spinner - it was literally a salat dryer/spinner x 5. It was sooooo effective. Loved it!

€46,-

Well… about the drying gimmick, I don’t know if you noticed but in the demo when she finished, the woman’s pants were soaking wet at the bottom. I am guessing her shoes were too.
Another thing to consider is the likely scarcity of a large enough countertop space where the thing can be loaded. I wouldn’t want to do this on the ground. Kind of defeats the purpose.
Same principle, what I do is to wring out clothes by hand then twist them in a towel.
In colder or inclement weather, and if we have arrived later in the day, past sundown, when an electric dryer is available, I have taken turns with other pilgrims and used just the spin cycle. That usually jump starts the drying process enough so things will be dry by morning. And everyone can take a turn because it’s quick.
I guess if one is using pack transport, the extra weight of the item wouldn’t be a problem. As for me, I probably wouldn’t carry the wringer gadget. But it is intriguing and might be fun to experiment at home with it first before carrying it on the Camino.

I am intrigued by the roll and stomp method. I'm not sure I want to put my towel on the floor though. I roll my clothes in my towel and twist it to squeeze out water, holding each end. Nothing seems to stretch like it would without the towel.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am intrigued by the roll and stomp method. I'm not sure I want to put my towel on the floor though. I roll my clothes in my towel and twist it to squeeze out water, holding each end. Nothing seems to stretch like it would without the towel.
I also don't do the "stomp on the floor." I find it enough to put my clothes on the towel, roll it up, and twist. If I put it on the floor then I'd have to wash the towel too!

I often use the roll in a towel method, but have never stomped on it on the floor. Instead I sit on it on the bed and it works good enough. I would never place my clean, body drying towel on any floor surface. I especially like thick, fluffy cotton towels provided at private accommodations.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Many albergues I stayed at on the Norte had a little centrifugio to spin extra water out of your clothes after washing. Worked very well. And I will echo that hand wringing then wrapping up in towel and stepping on it to extract extra water helps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sorry but that's about as sensible as taking a Rice Cooker! (long story)

I wouldn't use that on my clothes as it would ruin them.
If you have quick drying clothes it's not hard to get them dry.
Just do your laundry as a 'first' thing after checking in to give maximum drying time.

Squeeze the washed clothes.
And then folding your towel around them and walking on it can draw our more water......

NB. The Donativo in Rabanal (Gaucelmo) has an electric spinner!

You could get the same effect as that device passing your clothes over a tap, around a pipe or similar....
Just don't wreck the plumbing!.
Agree! That is absolutely something not worth lugging around on your back!! And the rolling it in your toe and stepping on it is the technique I've used a lot and really helps. That plus, of course, bringing quick dry clothing.

In 2011 I discovered to my delight an old fashioned wringer in the basement of the albergue in Roncesvalles. I walked in May and June and my second task, after showering, was to do my dobhying (laundry). Generally, because of the late afternoon heat, the clothes were dry in a couple of hours. Modern quick drying textiles are a boon.

Use a towel

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That is why one uses an easily washable microfiber towel. If in doubt, after you have stomped out all the other clothing, you could hand wash the microfiber towel.

Wring it out as best you can, then hang it. It should be dry by morning.

Or, you can attach it to the outside of your rucksack using safety pins - the ones you carry for clothesline use. On a sunny day, it will be bone dry in less than an hour.

It DOES work.

Hope this helps.

Tom

That is why one uses an easily washable microfiber towel. If in doubt, after you have stomped out all the other clothing, you could hand wash the microfiber towel.

Wring it out as best you can, then hang it. It should be dry by morning.

Or, you can attach it to the outside of your rucksack using safety pins - the ones you carry for clothesline use. On a sunny day, it will be bone dry in less than an hour.

It DOES work.

Hope this helps.

Tom
To be honest rolling the clothes in the travel towel and twisting them also works. With no need to wash the towel...just dry it!

I bought nappy (diaper) pins which lock shut. Ideal for backpack drying should anything not be fully dry in the morning.

Happy handwashing

Caroline

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.