• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Camino Frances in Winter

Theandrea, I'm sure you've heard about the three "phases" of "a Camino" -- we're delving here into the "phases" beyond those three, and indeed to some extent those "before" them, those when you're walking alone before even reaching a "gathering place" like SJPP or Burgos or Le Puy or wherever, and those when you're alone after leaving the Pilgrim Community, your "Camino Family", behind to start your long walk home ...

My most difficult experience on the Camino, and it surprised and terrified me, was in 2005 after I left the Arles Way alone to make my Way towards Lourdes -- after a very lonely walk across Provence, I had met some fellow Pilgrims after Arles and onwards ; but leaving that Way and that Company after Castres and Revel then finding myself back in the same loneliness was extremely hard to deal with, as was the sudden massive crowd some weeks later at SJPP, and so on.

Most Pilgrims who simply follow one of the Spanish Ways never experience anything at all similar, including actually many starting further away than SJPP, because that experience is always a gathering together, and so psychologically far less troubling than the "falling apart" of a Reverse or Winter Camino, away from the Community.

And so the "stages" beyond that anguish, where the focus of the Pilgrim returns towards the difficulties and beauties of the long walk home of Return from Compostela remain unknown, and "scary", to most.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Actually not so much, I only was 'alone' aka the only pilgrim in only one albergue. Also there is a difference between loneliness and solitude ;-) You will be fine! Buen Camino, SY

Itero de la Vega > Fromista

Hospitalera greetings from Fromista (that one will be explained below ;-)

Weather: The usual fog and temperature ;-( – do I need to say more? It really got a bit depressing after 2 weeks – magical fog is ok – for a time ...

Way: Only place in between is Boadilla where bar-albergue might or might not be open and even if it is open, food offers are limited. Also, if you plan to stay here (if it is open) you have to book the whole package of bed-dinner-breakfast for 23 Euros … reasonable as there is no shop open as far as I could see ...

Albergue Fromista: Warning! I am a bit biased towards Albergue Betania as I know its hospitaleros since many, many years ;-) The main albergue is in a flat/apartment on the ground floor: 5 beds, a dormitory with 2 single and one bunk bed (2x2) and a couch chair that converts to a single bed (situated in the kitchen/living room), spacious and well equipped kitchen that also serves as the common area, shower and toilet, washing machine, small balcony. There is always enough food in the kitchen to cook up a decent meal and to have breakfast before setting out. There is also an additional (3 single beds) dormitory on the first floor with its own shower and toilet but kitchen and common area are on the ground floor. One key per floor is given to the pilgrims, so you have to speak to each other to make sure you can re-enter the albergue when going out. Cost: Donation (see next paragraph)

When Lourdes and Jose moved to Fromista they quickly realised that all the albergues here would closed in winter (not enough pilgrims = not enough ROI for albergue owners) and that also many (but not all) of the restaurants would be closed equally. So they bought a second flat/apartment with the only goal to make it into an winter albergue! This year they bought another flat as the number of winter pilgrims increases continuously and they all need a place to stay …

Do I really need to say more? Ok, they are also the people that maintain the winter-pilgrim-life-saving website http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/ and Lourdes was the one that started the whole Hospitaleros Voluntarios movement …

So, if you stay at their albergue and can afford it, please be generous with your donation as every single cent goes back to other pilgrims in form of shelter, food and (online) help. And if you can't afford to leave a donation because you are short on funds – this albergue was made especially for YOU!

Eating/Shopping:

There are several shops/supermercados open in Fromista, in the entrance of the main albergue is a map that shows them all. Also a few meters after the albergue is the health center with 24h emergency service and in the center of the town is a pharmacy.

If you want to splash out on gorgeous food, Los Palmeros is in the same street as the albergue, no menu, only a la carte, but situated in the same building where once was the medieval pilgrims hospital. Very nice also, but closed for winter at the time of writing, is “Asador Villa de Fromista”. The only 'menu place' open as far as I know is “Van Dos” where the street where the albergue is crosses the Camino. Pretty decent menu for 12 Euro in a 'take me home to the good old times' setting.

Being a Hospitalera again: Already whilst me being on the Camino, Lourdes asked me if I would fancy replacing them for a few days as hospitalera as they would like to take a much needed short vacation – obviously I was more then happy to do so! So, since 26th December I am officially the substitute hospitalera at Albergue Betania and I am loving every second of it (Yes, including cleaning the bathrooms!) Next posts will be therefore about 'hospitalera tales' ;-)

Further Plans: On 31st December I will take the train to Santiago (via Palencia) to meet up with some friends there and to spend New Years Eve in Santiago. The last time I did this was during my first ever pilgrimage in 1999 when I had the privilege of experiencing the change of the millennium in Santiago – so I am a bit teary-eyed about that ;-) Anybody else in Santiago for New Years Eve? Let's meet up and celebrate!

'Somewhen' in the first week of January I will take public transport back to Fromista to continue my pilgrimage and usual pilgrim/Camino updates will resume.

Buen Camino de la Vida, SY

PS Tomorrow I am expecting 9 pilgrims for 7 beds – It will be fun ;-)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wishing you a Happy New Year and and looking forward to your great posts resuming in January.

Sounds like a great way to spend the week between Christmas and New Years. Lucky you.

Hola Sybille - you are obviously enjoying the double break - from walking and winter. The opportunity to volunteer was also an opportunity to repay the gifts. NYE in SDC should be a great time - Ivar might even buy you a coffee or vino tinto??!! Again a great informative read. Cheers.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@SYates - would it be possible to publish a photograph of this albergue? Brierley does mention it but does not show a location (in my 2015 edition). Thanks

@ SYates
Enjoy your "rest"/"work" and the Special New Year Switch
Waiting for the next update (I think many of us do)
Ultreïa - Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi. SY!
Your post is wonderful!!!
It will be helpful when I walk the French way on Feb 2017!!!

Please update the winter camino and Buen Camino!!!!

Oh, I didn't know you were out running in Winter time! I seldom visit the CFrancés section! It must be interesting during this time of year! I guess you have answered to other people above, but... My questions are: What temperatures? Rain? Snow somewhere? Muddy roads??? Wouldn't some albergues be closed because it's "off season"? How do you plan to pass the "higher sections" like O Cebreiro - it must be snow up there by now? I wouldn't know so please enlighten me...

Ciao/BP

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Gee Sybil , I really did enjoy your Xmas winter thread ........ So many pilgrims at Roncesvalles? I guess you are the one everyone will blame in a few years time for hordes of pilgrims causing mayhem during Decembers to come? I have to try this myself - open up San Anton for December as well.

Sybille, you are my new hero!
I've always dreamed of a winter Camino, but my warm Mediterranean blood cries out, "No! Don't DO it!"
Seems like you've chosen the perfect year and weather!
I hope you had a very HAPPY NEW YEAR and I look forward to future posts.
Great thread!

Dear SYates,

I hope everything is alright with you. Where did you spend Christmas and New Year's Eve?
Wish you a Happy New Year! Let all your dreams come true!

Thanks so much for sharing! Will give me something very special to look forward each day....especially to experience the CF vicariously in Winter. Stay safe and Buen Camino!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you so much for your continued blog, following from the armchair has made me realise that I don't have to wait for the good weather to make the journey. Next years I will be starting in the middle of March, not quite a winter pilgrimage, but i'm sure it will have additional challenges from my last one.

Buen Camino

Hi. Frederick
Great!!!
I will arrive at SJPDP on 09. Feb. 2017. And start to walk on 10. Feb.
When &where will you start to walk?
I arrive in SJPP on 1 February and start walking On 2 February. Hopefully we will meet somewhere on the Way or in Santiago. Enjoy your preparation

Thanks so much for the continued updates. When I say invaluable, I mean invaluable. Could not get nowt yesterday in Viana, all accommodation closed. Remembered your update about police having albergue key. his phone was off !! The kindest of kind Spanish gentleman, tracked him down and he raced to the albergue about 7pm. Nearly had to sleep in the church yard. Been held up due to sickness and the kindness I've received has almost, I repeat almost, reduced me to tears! Faith in human kindness restored. Thanks again! Wild.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi ho I am in astorga today. There is a group of 9 pilgrims. All mostly Spanish and Italian. It's 3 degrees a little sun today and everything was shut due to new year celebration. Alburge Maria is open and warm and has hot showers! It was hard tonight to find a menu perigrino. Off to rabanal tomorrow,

Hola Sybille - hope you had a great NYE in Santiago. When do you expect to resume the pilgrimage from Fromista?? Cheers

Very accurate description. Special place, special lady proprietor! To only ask for donations, warms the cockles of your heart!

I feel like I'm reading your next book. Great tips Buen Camino

This is great--thanks!

Hi SYates,
Just checking in to say that I hope all is going well on your Camino, let us know when you have a chance. You helped out a lot of people these past few months. I thought of you yesterday when I was talking to a student of mine who is just back and had received your updates regularly from the FRances. He was way behind you but he, his mom, and sisters were extremely grateful.

For some reason just found this thread today. Very much enjoyed reading it so far. Great tips and information - many thanks!

Apologies and pilgrims greetings from Prague ;-)

After my short stint as a hospitalera in Fromista I did indeed take the train to Santiago and celebrated New Years Eve there. My original plan was to go back to Fromista and continue on foot but as I was in Santiago it became clear to me that the Camino had already answered my questions, so I booked my flight back to Prague.

So, double apology for posting this so late and for no more Camino updates from me --- for the moment.

Buen Camino to all out there, SY

Good to know your safe and well. Wild

Hola SY - glad to hear from you, we (your camino family) were starting to worry about you. Totally understand the decision, you have (as you say) answered the questions about walking the Camino during winter. Cheers for now. M

Exactly the situation when in 2015 I started barefoot in Mediterranean sea in Valencia and when I stepped (barefoot again) in Atlantic in Muxia I knew that's it. Although my plan was to walk from Muxia to Fisterra. Instead I just hitchhiked to Cee and with a second ride to Fisterra. You just have to be open to feel what your inner self is telling you. That I'm sure!
Great to hear from you again, Sybil!!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
SY,
Glad to learn that you are safe at home. Enjoy your daily/familiar comforts and memories. Thanks again for your helpful recent winter updates. Take care.

So glad you had a successful Camino. I have just spent a few days on the Norte. 17degrees in San Sebastián yesterday. I am heading over to start the Frances tomorrow. Your reports inspired me.

Thank you for taking the time.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well done on your walk and I'm glad to hear that the winter Camino answered your questions

Okay ... I gotta ask - Did Rebekka Scott give you grief for traveling from Moratinos to SJPDP just to walk back across Spain to Santiago de Compostela?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,
A question concerning the time of leaving the albergue [08:00 hrs] in the morning during the winter months of December and January when the sunrise is around 09:30 hrs. Does this make navigation a bit of a problem?

Hi,
A question concerning the time of leaving the albergue [08:00 hrs] in the morning during the winter months of December and January when the sunrise is around 09:30 hrs. Does this make navigation a bit of a problem?

Hi, the albergues tend to be a bit more lax in winter about kicking you out early. (I think they also like to sleep in .) Before I turn in for the night I tend to source which place is open for breakfast in the morning in case I AM kicked out at 8am. (Note that this doesn’t always work. The night shift tell you they open at 8am, but the morning shift are sometimes still in bed at 8am .)
Jill

Sunrise Jan 28 was around 8:25am - 8:30 so with dawn before that we didn't have any problems.

K

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi,

I just chat with the hospitaleros the evening before regarding 'rules versus reality' ;-) Apart of one place, the municipal in Larrasoaña, they let us stay until there was light. Also to consider, many bars/cafés will have limited opening times in winter - better buy something the eve before to munch for breakfast ;-) Buen Camino, SY

So happy to discover this thread - thank you!

Most read last week in this forum