• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances transport

Theresag

Time of past OR future Camino
July August 2018
Hi, we are landing in Madrid on 17 July and then need to travel to Leon, what is the best way to travel there. How far is the station/bus terminal from airport. First timers in Europe, abit apprehensive!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Agree with @Bradypus that the bus is a good way of getting around. In my experience of planning getting to and from Madrid to Santiago and Santiago to Porto road beat out rail. I'm sure there are exceptions to this but Spanish roads seem to be pretty quiet and you can travel fast. In the UK I'd rather do almost anything than take a long distance bus.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We flew overnight to Madrid and took the bus to Burgos. That ride is an hour plus shorter than the ride to Leon. I was slightly cramped in my bus seat. But I'm a somewhat big guy (6ft tall and 200 lbs).

Access to the Madrid metro and rail system is almost directly above the bus pickup point, so taking the Cercania line to the train station is not really difficult although it may entail a 1/2 hour ride. Then you will hopefully have your first ride on a high speed train and appreciate the comfort and speed of train transport.

If you have used a subway system where you live, you can probably manage the transit to the originating rail station. Or manage it, if necessary, by asking some fellow traveler for his/her assistance. If you don't speak much Spanish this will be your first Camino baby step...politely seeking assistance from a local.

If this sounds too intimidating, opt for the bus.

Tom

P.S. Read some of the forum posts about getting to the Camino - there is a wealth of info related to your question.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/traveling-to-from-the-camino.19/

Agree with @Bradypus that the bus is a good way of getting around. In my experience of planning getting to and from Madrid to Santiago and Santiago to Porto road beat out rail. I'm sure there are exceptions to this but Spanish roads seem to be pretty quiet and you can travel fast. In the UK I'd rather do almost anything than take a long distance bus.

Personally I prefer train travel to buses. The Spanish rail services are very good and there is a lot of investment in them going on. But it is probably not worth the time and trouble spent travelling into central Madrid and switching to the main line rail network just for the single journey to Leon when a cheap direct bus service runs right from the airport itself.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back