• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ingles from A coruna

marigold

Time of past OR future Camino
(2009) Sarria - Santiago; (2011) SJPP - Navarette; (2012) Logrono - Santiago;( 2013) Leon - Santiago - Finesterre
Hi folks, just back from doing this and then going to Fisterre and Muxia. I didn't like the Ingles much. I didn't see anyone else the whole time, and several Spanish people I spoke to told me it was dangerous to be walking alone. I've never felt scared about walking alone on the Camino (Frances), but I started to feel a bit vulnerable. I stayed in the municipal in Sergude (only me!), which was nice -lovely new modern hostal and friendly hospitalera. No bars or shops along the way except in the main towns. The path was very overgrown in places and I was grateful for the support of Johnnie's guide for directions. I met some lovely Spanish (Galician!) people along the way and was glad to be able to speak Spanish. Missed a turn before Saradondes and a jogger took me back to the route. Lovely bar lady in Saradondes (Quintanos) where we talked politics and she made me a delicious boca with pan de Carral. My favourite bit was the long walk through the pine forest before Siguiero (some people say it was the worst, but I loved the smell and the soft pine needles). So this is the ideal route for getting away from it all!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm sorry that you did not enjoy walking the Ingles. My experience was very different - perhaps in part because I walked with a friend. We walked in January and saw almost no other pilgrims. I have heard others say that at times they have found the route quite busy. Personally I enjoyed the quietness. I did not think that the sparsity of facilities along the way( in comparison with the Frances) was too great a price to pay for a much more tranquil experience. Did your Spanish contacts say why they felt it was dangerous to walk alone? Was there something specific to the Ingles which troubled them or was it a more general belief that walking solo is inherently risky? I cannot recall anything about the route which gave me any undue cause for alarm.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm sorry that you did not enjoy walking the Ingles. My experience was very different - perhaps in part because I walked with a friend. We walked in January and saw almost no other pilgrims. I have heard others say that at times they have found the route quite busy. Personally I enjoyed the quietness. I did not think that the sparsity of facilities along the way( in comparison with the Frances) was too great a price to pay for a much more tranquil experience. Did your Spanish contacts say why they felt it was dangerous to walk alone? Was there something specific to the Ingles which troubled them or was it a more general belief that walking solo is inherently risky? I cannot recall anything about the route which gave me any undue cause for alarm.
I think it was because I am a female walking alone. Maybe also because of the disappearance of a girl in Spain at this time. Maybe because locals are not used to seeing peregrinos like they are in other routes.

No one really knows how many pilgrims walk from Coruña but it is certainly a small fraction of the number who walk from Ferrol.
This summer hospitalero in Bruma told me that they make maybe just 1-2% of all Ingles pilgrims.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked alone from A Coruña last year. I agree that it's a very solitary Camino until Bruma, but I'm surprised that it's considered unsafe. It's remote in some places, but I'd walk it again without hesitation.

I walked alone from A Coruña last year. I agree that it's a very solitary Camino until Bruma, but I'm surprised that it's considered unsafe. It's remote in some places, but I'd walk it again without hesitation.
I'm sure part of the reason for so few pilgrims start from A Coruna is that it doesn't qualify for Compostela (75kms or so?).
I'll walk it someday nevertheless ;)

I don't think we should say 'it's considered unsafe'.I didn't mean that. It was just a few local elderly people who said that it is dangerous for a woman to be walking alone. I think they would say that anywhere. Let's continue to believe in the spirit of the Camino and the wonderful Spanish people.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don't think we should say 'it's considered unsafe'.I didn't mean that. It was just a few local elderly people who said that it is dangerous for a woman to be walking alone. I think they would say that anywhere. Let's continue to believe in the spirit of the Camino and the wonderful Spanish people.
Thanks @marigold and apologies for misunderstanding your post.

I bet a lot of folks on the CF are wishing for open roads (and albergues;)) right about now. So sorry it wasn't what you'd hoped for.
I also was questioned a lot about being a solo female (on Norte, Primitivo, ingles, porugues...etc, even once on the Frances)...almost always by older women. Of course, older women I knew back in the states had the same questions ...
In the beginning of my walk, when my Spanish was at it's worst, I wrote in my blog that I wasn't sure if the ladies were saying "you go, girl" or saying "you are one crazy girl"...but I preferred to think it was the former. :)

I didn't like the Ingles much. I didn't see anyone else the whole time, and several Spanish people I spoke to told me it was dangerous to be walking alone.

Sorry to hear that you didn't like CI. I hear your concern about being alone. Since i am a male so this could be the reason I dont have the same concern. I walked alone and really enjoyed the quietness and routes on my own. I did like seeing other pilgrims along the route for short time and mostly we part ways again after having meal and would again see them at the albergue.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
No rooms in Bruma tonight. Anywhere. Is it cheating to take a cab 10k away to get a place to stay?
Hello all, I'll be walking the Camino Inlgés staring 21st May, along with my husband and my mother. My husband and I are relatively fit, in our mid-40's, and my 75-year-old mother is somewhat fit...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...
I did a search in this sub-forum but couldn't find anything recent. How much cash should I bring for the Ingles? All of my pre-booked accommodations except one accept credit card. That one place...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back