• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ingles - how immersive an experience have you found it?

LorneB

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues - Porto to Vigo, 2017; Vigo to SDC to Muxia, 2018
Hi there. I’m thinking of spending around five to seven days walking the Ingles, and would be interested in getting some input.

I’ve walked the Portuges from Porto to Santiago, before continuing on to Muxia. A wonderful experience! All together, I probably spent about twenty days walking, and really enjoyed the slow-going approach, and the way it allowed me to sink into the moment.

If I were to walk the Ingles, I would probably only have five to seven days, and am wondering how immersive an experience that would be. Have those of you who have walked it found that you were able to “sink” into the experience the way one might on a longer route, or did it feel it was over almost as soon as it began? Or somewhere in between, perhaps? (I know I'm not specifying exactly what I mean by "immersive," so I'm happy to leave that to your interpretation.)

Anyways, I hope the question makes sense, and I welcome your thoughts.

Thanks very much,

Lorne

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Lorne, interesting question. I think it’s more of a taster, it gives you a hint of how good walking can be, but it’s definitely over too soon. It’s like a couple of sip’s of a good wine - enjoyable in its own right, but leaving you wanting more.

From my perspective- I’d just found my rhythm, and it was over.

It’s a great first Camino, or a quick reminder of how good the Way is. It’d be nice to do if you arrive in Santiago sooner than expected, and really just wanted to walk that little further.

And, regardless of the fact that it has more tarmac than I prefer, it’s interesting, easy to access, well supported (infrastructure), and with sufficient pilgrims to either have company or space, as you desire.

Buen Camino

I think that is a matter of personal mind-set. Some say that they need a week, maybe two, to get into the Camino-feeling, so on the Inglés you would run out of road before that. For me, I vividly remember leaving Ferrol on an early, grey morning and just a few hours later, I was already ‘there’ – in the Camino feeling.

As @Peterexpatkiwi says, there is a fair amount of road-walking on the Inglés, but it is primarily small country roads with little if any traffic.

You can read my short account of the walk here:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Absolutely a personal mindset.
I walked the Ingles already three times and from day one I am in " pilgrimzone".
It is all about intention IMO.
Even when we do a daywalk to a local place of worship ( 40 k ) and come back by bus it feels complete.

Last edited:
This is so personal. The Inglés was for me an afterthought, an add on after Gijón - Muxía (Norte) and the Portuguese Coastal route. I had a few extra days so I took the train up to Ferrol from Santiago.

I personally would not walk the Inglés on its own since it's too short for my liking and of all my Caminos my least favorite but heck, many pilgrims will disagree with me!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I enjoyed it, it was challenging with some very steep hills. But it is very short. I had started the year planning on doing the Portuguese Camino from Faro or Lisbon and then doing Ingles, but scheduling only allowed Ingles. I walked the last week of October and there weren't a lot of fellow pilgrims, I found I missed the frequent Buen Caminos. In hindsight, I wouldn't walk another 5 day Camino. It's too short, I think for me 3 weeks is the minimum needed for my future Caminos.

I haven't walked the Inglés yet, but with the time and money involved getting to Europe from the west coast of the US I would do it as an add on to a longer walk. Who knows? Maybe this year if I have time.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm walking the Ingles as my first camino ever later this year. My own concern is that I won't feel that sense of elation and accomplishment once I arrive in SdC as it's just a 5 day walk vs a 5 week walk on the Frances. Oh well, it is what it is.

If the English could have found a safe deep-water port nearer to Santiago than Coruna the Ingles would be something you started walking after a leisurely breakfast in order to make mid-day mass. It is what it is - if you want a longer walk, start further away.

If I wake up in the morning, I’m on my own, there’s a faint smell of chorizo and I can see a rucksack then I’m sufficiently immersed. I’ve never really understood subtlety.

I'm walking the Ingles as my first camino ever later this year. My own concern is that I won't feel that sense of elation and accomplishment once I arrive in SdC as it's just a 5 day walk vs a 5 week walk on the Frances. Oh well, it is what it is.
It was my first, and you will feel a sense of accomplishment at the end, because you have accomplished your first Camino . If it’s also your first long distance walk, doubly so!
I think it’s an excellent first Camino, as I mentioned above. And, if you do enjoy it, and are anything like many here on the forum- myself now included- it won’t be your last.

Elation? That’s subjective. There’s an excellent thread on the ‘Camino blues’ - not all feel elated at the end.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Varekai I walked the Ingles a couple of years ago. It's a great Camino. Starts by the sea, wanders up and down a river then up and over and up and over some lovely countryside. Couple of really nice towns to pass through. Arriving in Santiago is always special. You'll have a great time.

@LorneB If you're after an immersive experience I reckon you could walk this route in solitude if you wanted to. I've walked more popular Caminos and you can struggle to get away from the crowds. Not so on the Ingles. Spend a couple of days not talking to people and you'll begin to feel how long a day can be :)

In my viewpoint as a still working US citizen with limited vacation time, immersive is what you bring to it. If you approach it as, "Holy cow, I get to spend 5 full days walking, eating, and sleeping Camino!" - my take is, you'll be immersed.

Alternatively...how many days did it take you to become " immersed " on the Portuguese?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Interesting. I've only just started walking, from A Coruña but it does feel odd. Haven't seen a single pilgrim, haven't heard a single " buen Camino" and bar and hotel staff seem a bit non-plussed by a solo older woman in walking gear.
Two beautiful churches were open (Santiago in O Burgo and Santa Maria de Cambre) but neither had a stamp. But it's beautiful, and maybe tomorrow.....

Interesting. I've only just started walking, from A Coruña but it does feel odd. Haven't seen a single pilgrim, haven't heard a single " buen Camino" and bar and hotel staff seem a bit non-plussed by a solo older woman in walking gear.
Two beautiful churches were open (Santiago in O Burgo and Santa Maria de Cambre) but neither had a stamp. But it's beautiful, and maybe tomorrow.....

Possibly because very few walk from A Coruna. By the time you get to Bruma, you should meet up with other pilgrims.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Ingles was my first Camino. I did no research, no training, and had no expectations, beyond thinking it would be an adventure and give me time to finally figure out what I should have said and done differently, during one of the worst years of my life.

The reality was a little different: I didn’t think about much of anything, except how I was going to make it to the top of the next hill, and, also, a nonsense song got stuck in my head, and ended up mercifully drowning out the dreary, monotonous turntable of self recriminations that played over and over in my mind, and that had been my lot for the last year. Somehow, by the time I reached Santiago, I knew exactly what I needed to do next, and I was at peace. I truly can’t explain what happened, but something did…Having said that, I knew, even as I took my final steps, that this Camino hadn’t been long enough. So, my resolution to walk the Frances was born in the mud of my final soggy day on the Ingles.

Just finished. Whilst actually walking, for me it was as worthwhile and immersive as a longer Camino. What I missed was the daily rhythm of albergue life. That's partly because I was on the A Coruña branch which is less frequented, and partly because I had to do short stages and therefore stayed in hotels a couple of times, and in A Coruña where there isn't an albergue.
I also missed the experience of meeting and re-meeting other people, which happens on a longer walk .

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
No rooms in Bruma tonight. Anywhere. Is it cheating to take a cab 10k away to get a place to stay?
Hello all, I'll be walking the Camino Inlgés staring 21st May, along with my husband and my mother. My husband and I are relatively fit, in our mid-40's, and my 75-year-old mother is somewhat fit...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...
I did a search in this sub-forum but couldn't find anything recent. How much cash should I bring for the Ingles? All of my pre-booked accommodations except one accept credit card. That one place...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.