• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Packing List (subject to revision) :-)

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67185

Gear lists are fun to read --- at least for me. Perhaps my list will be a fun read for others. Maybe it gives others, who need ideas of where to begin or what to cut in order to decrease pack weight, a place to start.

My backpacking experience over the last five decades has evolved into carrying ultralight gear whenever possible. For my Camino gear list, I sifted out those items which are used when traveling the Pacific Crest Trail or other wilderness destinations; after all, the Camino is not a wilderness backpacking trip. Carrying large amounts of food and water, cooking gear, fuel, clothing for extreme changes in weather, etc, are simply not needed.

I try not carry things that are of a "just in case" nature. This list includes only those things which are non-consumables --- the pack's base weight. It doesn't include the clothing that I will be wearing which -- for the shirt and bottoms -- are just another set of the shorts and shirt which is in the pack. I will also be wearing a 26 oz pair of trail runners, a 2.5 ounce pair of Smartwool socks, and a "flap" hat --- a baseball-style hat with an attached neck cape; it is the same one I wore during a five day hike across Death Valley.

This kit has a lot of trail miles behind it. It works exceedingly well for me. I am not suggesting that it will, or will not, work for anyone else. Oh, yeah, before I forget, the gear listed takes up less than 35 liters. My pack can be over-filled to 60 liters, with a comfortable carry limit of 35 pounds. For just 35 liters of gear, this pack can be compressed down to a nice, medium bundle.

All items were carefully weighed on a calibrated scale.

upload_2017-7-2_13-26-46.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Are the closet and bath items in stuff sacks? My bedding is in a dry sack, will not be happy with wet bedding.

We will walk, slowly, starting in Sept and probably finish by the end of October. So the clothes are a bit heavier. But now, I have a reason to go through my pack again. :)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Are the closet and bath items in stuff sacks? My bedding is in a dry sack, will not be happy with wet bedding.

We will walk, slowly, starting in Sept and probably finish by the end of October. So the clothes are a bit heavier. But now, I have a reason to go through my pack again. :)

Yes. But, they are super lightweight nylon bags (included in the total weight) for organization purposes only. Four stuff sacks that I use weigh a total of 2.1 ounces. When backpacking in the wild, I use two additional bags: one for all the meals and food ingredients, and another to hold all of the food and snacks that I will use for that day.

The waterproofing comes from a lightweight, waterproof, liner bag for the inside of the pack (included in the weight of the pack). My poncho also covers my pack when it is being worn.

I will be leaving St Jean Pied de Port on Camino September 14. The pack contents are adjusted for the measured historical temperature range for late September thru October. :)

I stayed at casa rurals and three and four star hotels on my Portuguese Camino and did not take any sleeping bag
or sleeping quilt. Every place had sheets on the beds. I also took no micro towel. That's a lot of space in the Osprey pack
now freed up.
I did take an extra pair of Columbia Water-Proof runnin shoes tied on to the outside of
my pack. The best tops were "Stay-Dri" polyproplene Nordic skiing polar fleeces
Best rain suit is breathable Frogg-Toggs. One pound for top and bottom If it really pours you will get wet in a poncho I think.
Best socks are Alpaca socks which really wick!
Take no Cotton. Check this out https://www.slowcaminobook.com/pilgrims-walking-gear.html

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I stayed at casa rurals and three and four star hotels on my Portuguese Camino and did not take any sleeping bag
or sleeping quilt. Every place had sheets on the beds. I also took no micro towel. That's a lot of space in the Osprey pack
now freed up.
I did take an extra pair of Columbia Water-Proof runnin shoes tied on to the outside of
my pack. The best tops were "Stay-Dri" polyproplene Nordic skiing polar fleeces
Best rain suit is breathable Frogg-Toggs. One pound for top and bottom If it really pours you will get wet in a poncho I think.
Best socks are Alpaca socks which really wick!
Take no Cotton. Check this out https://www.slowcaminobook.com/pilgrims-walking-gear.html

1. Although it's nice to have the budget to do as you did, not all of us are willing to spend that much on accomodations :) If one can afford it and wishes to spend the cash, there's no problem with doing so.

Alburgues along Camino Frances may or may not have complete bedding. Plus, I prefer my down sleeping quilt to blankets. No worries about space in my backpack, either; my sleeping quilt compresses down to the size of a Coke can, so it's not really a big space hog. There's plenty of space left over in my 35 liter of configured pack space.

2. Carrying spare shoes. Should one wish to carry the extra weight, that's fine; each individual has unique needs. I have read a number of Camino-related posts which share your decision to include extra shoes. If extra footwear is desired, another alternative are the many types of sandals which are a terrific, lightweight alternative to carrying extra shoes.

On the 2650 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail, one pair of shoes sufficed (I did go through three pair, having new shoes mailed to me at specific resupply points). I do take a spare pair of insoles, though.

3. When one states an absolute about what is "best", hopefully the data and subjective concensus of backpackers and experienced trekkers (including Camino walkers) will agree. From my experience, the best tops are those which match the climate one will be hiking in. Artificial wicking materials like poly/nylon mixes are excellent tops. But I personally think that the wicking, breathability, and effective, useful temperature range of Smartwool-type tops get a huge two thumbs up. For my Camino, I may still decide to replace one of my two tops with a long-sleeved Smartwool light-thickness top. My flip-flopping back-and-forth has to do with the fact that the Smartwool top weighs 3 ounces more than my poly-blend, long-sleeved, REI Sahara tops.

3. I agree with your observation about Frogg Toggs breathability. Few garments -- and only those costing much, much more -- can match Frogg Toggs level of breathability. The problem with Frogg Toggs is their friability; they are not the heartiest of garments in harsh terrain conditions when bushwacking off-trail. For a trek like the Camino they will perform well.

As to my getting wet with a poncho, please rest your concerns :) I have thousands of miles of backpacking in some of the rainiest climates. Think Washington State's Cascade Mountains and the Olympic Rain Forest. I stay very dry and comfortable with my poncho/ rain kilt combo, at less than half the weight of even Frogg Toggs.

4. Again, I cringe when told that a product is "the best". I have to respectfully disagree with your sock assessment.... there are many types of "best" socks available. Alpaca socks, as a natural fiber, are a good choice, and they do wick well. But so do Smartwool and DarnTough socks which have thousands of enthusiasts in the backpacking and mountaineering communities. As for your concern about cotton, I don't include cotton in my packing list.

I appreciate your feedback and your insights. I wish Frogg Toggs were better known among Camino pilgrims.

leaving St Jean Pied de Port on Camino September 14
You have packed shorts. We are from Arizona and would freeze wearing shorts. Long pants, add leggings when it gets colder. 60F is cold. 50F is really (really, really) cold. 40F and we are frozen.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You have packed shorts. We are from Arizona and would freeze wearing shorts. Long pants, add leggings when it gets colder. 60F is cold. 50F is really (really, really) cold. 40F and we are frozen.

Yup, shorts. Until it gets down below 35F, it is only shorts. If it goes below 35F, I put on my Smartwool, light weight, long-john bottoms under my shorts. I only wear pants when backpacking if I'm trooping thru snow. :)

Pretty good list. I did not see your cell phone/charger......this will warm the cockles of some members hearts, but perhaps its an oversight. You do not need a headlamp unless you plan on walking before dawn. Lots of people take a first aid kit like they are going to the planet Zorkan. There is a fully equipped farmacia in every town. Next time, I'm taking some tape and two bandaids in my pack. I also see no need for the KFS, but a swiss army tool with a blade, scissors and tweezers did come in handy for me. A lighter......but no tobacco? What for? No campfires, that's for sure. You also really do not need the compass or thermometer, but I understand if these are for peace of mind. You really do not need them though.

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Pretty good list. I did not see your cell phone/charger......this will warm the cockles of some members hearts, but perhaps its an oversight. You do not need a headlamp unless you plan on walking before dawn. Lots of people take a first aid kit like they are going to the planet Zorkan. There is a fully equipped farmacia in every town. Next time, I'm taking some tape and two bandaids in my pack. I also see no need for the KFS, but a swiss army tool with a blade, scissors and tweezers did come in handy for me. A lighter......but no tobacco? What for? No campfires, that's for sure. You also really do not need the compass or thermometer, but I understand if these are for peace of mind. You really do not need them though.

Buen Camino!

Hi, Rick. I appreciate your reviewing my list.

1. Not taking a phone. Nor a camera. I guess the reason why has t o do with my personal need to focus on the pilgrimage and less on trying to capture it externally. I have an international calling card that will work in both France and Spain. It has a massive number of minutes on it. I'll use whatever public phones are available, or just email, to keep those at home apprised of my status.

2. I do plan on walking pre-dawn for late September and October. Shorter days and longer nights:) What I won't do is to use the headlamp in the dorm/sleeping areas of an Alburgue. :)

3. My first aid kit is minimal, just what is needed to get me through to the nearest pharmacy. The kit has a mini-tweezers that I've used for splinters and tick removal. Although I'm not planning on ticks, I am figuring on splinters; they are drawn to me :) The medicine kit is listed separate. It is for my prescription medications, each of which I am bringing a 35 day supply.

4. You're right, no tobacco.... never used the stuff in my life. The lighter is not for fires, but for the amount of weight, it works for surface sterilization of needles, knife (especially if it will be cutting any food after its been in the yuck), and it also works to repair or modify synthetic materials on the fly. But, for Camino you may be right about their usefulness. Thanks

5. :) My thermometer/compass is a dinky one-piece unit from REI which I got as a Christmas stocking-stuffer when I was 15 (yeah, yeah, yeah...15 year old boy getting stockings. Well my mom was my mom, what can I say). I've had that small little thing clipped to every pack for every trip since then. Bonus, the thermometer is actually really accurate, and is fun to consult when curious about how cold/hot it is. And since my mom passed away earlier this year, I guess the sentimental value of that thing seems to have grown.

As you've already surmised, it's not about piece of mind, just sentimentality. I have a bigger compass that I take along when backpacking in the wild.

Rick, if you think of any other things, give me a shout.

Hi, Rick. I appreciate your reviewing my list.

1. Not taking a phone. Nor a camera. I guess the reason why has t o do with my personal need to focus on the pilgrimage and less on trying to capture it externally. I have an international calling card that will work in both France and Spain. It has a massive number of minutes on it. I'll use whatever public phones are available, or just email, to keep those at home apprised of my status.

How do you plan on emailing without a smart phone? And good luck finding a public phone. In all my routes I only remember seeing two of them. Bring the phone even if you only turn it on should you fall off a cliff to dial 112.

How do you plan on emailing without a smart phone? And good luck finding a public phone. In all my routes I only remember seeing two of them. Bring the phone even if you only turn it on should you fall off a cliff to dial 112.

Thanks for the heads up, I might have to reconsider. Although if I fall off a cliff, I would probably wish more for morphine than a cell phone. Since I won't have the morphine, that leaves the cell phone ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My med kit is mole skin and medipore tape, I get impact blisters. Tiny scissors for the tape, cut to fit near my toes. a couple of band aids, a couple of alcohol wipes. My prescription meds for 3 months aren't light weight, just is what it is.

Phone and charger. The phone will be on "airplane" 90% of the time.

I take some other things you don't, but some of my questions about your list are:

What is the scrubbie sponge for?
Why the aqua mira? Water is clean and plentiful on the camino.
For the same reason, you may not need a bladder if you're carrying bottles
No short sleeve shirts? (I only carry one base layer ls, and two ss t shirts)
No sunscreen?
What kind of shoes are you wearing?

I take some other things you don't, but some of my questions about your list are:

What is the scrubbie sponge for?
Why the aqua mira? Water is clean and plentiful on the camino.
For the same reason, you may not need a bladder if you're carrying bottles
No short sleeve shirts? (I only carry one base layer ls, and two ss t shirts)
No sunscreen?
What kind of shoes are you wearing?

1. The scrubbie is for basic cleaning. It is just a small square.

2. There are a few areas where water is suspect when west of Burgos. Lots of folks reporting GI problems. Yes, water throughout Spain is as safe as any other European country. But even in America, there are precautions I will take with water in various locations in the southwest and southeast from public municipal water sources. Additionally, periodic use of Aqua Mira also serves to disinfect the water bladder.

3. I don't carry bottles. The Evernew collapsible bottle is filled and then emptied into the bladder via a quick disconnect; I do not have to even open my pack to accomplish a refill.

4. No short sleeve shirts. If desired, the sleeves roll up.

5. No sunscreen. I don't need it with long sleeves, and my legs are extremely tanned.

6. I use New Balance Leadville shoes.

:)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Dave,
You have posted a packing list and you are telling us the specific brands of the items you deemed optimum (the BEST)
These are the things that made the final cut. Not just a backpack, but a Gossamer Gear - Mariposa backpack.
Presumably you are saying it is the best selection for you.
Why the cringe? At mentioning the word "The Best"
BTW I actually owned 30 alpacas and their fiber has four times the insulation capacity of wool. Due to the fiber being just 20 microns
thick it creates more surface area and therefore it traps more air than wool, smart wool or any other sock.
We (as a group) will make these recommendations more for folks planning their first Caminos who what to know
what the "BEST" is!
I do not expect my recommendations will change the habits of seasoned Peregrinos like yourself.
It is a very well thought out list you have done and particularly useful for new peregrinos!
Thanks for your contribution of the BEST.

Those Leadville shoes are nice. I wear Altras for my wide duck feet! :) about half the time and my Chaco sandals the rest of the time. With the Chacos, no socks and I can step into the fountain to cool off and then keep walking!
Where did you hear the water is suspect beyond Burgos? I hadn't heard that. (I suspect that GI problems are usually caused by either food or a virus.)

Hi Dave,
You have posted a packing list and you are telling us the specific brands of the items you deemed optimum (the BEST)
These are the things that made the final cut. Not just a backpack, but a Gossamer Gear - Mariposa backpack.
Presumably you are saying it is the best selection for you.
Why the cringe? At mentioning the word "The Best"
BTW I actually owned 30 alpacas and their fiber has four times the insulation capacity of wool. Due to the fiber being just 20 microns
thick it creates more surface area and therefore it traps more air than wool, smart wool or any other sock.
We (as a group) will make these recommendations more for folks planning their first Caminos who what to know
what the "BEST" is!
I do not expect my recommendations will change the habits of seasoned Peregrinos like yourself.
It is a very well thought out list you have done and particularly useful for new peregrinos!
Thanks for your contribution of the BEST.

1. The specific brands listed are because many folks will inquire about brands. Lots of folks mention that they are using a specific brand of Osprey pack, for instance, or provide links to a type of sleeping bag liner. There are many examples of folks asking about brands and others posting their brand of gear. :)

2. No, I do not mention a brand because I feel it is 'the best'. The Gossamer Gear Mariposa, for example, is not the backpack I use for wilderness multi-day or multi-week or multi-month trips. Nor do I use it for day hikes. I also like ULA packs and some models of Osprey.

I cringe at using the word "best" for any backpacking gear because there is no such thing. It can't be proven subjectively nor objectively. One can certainly say, for example, that a piece of gear is the lightest, or the warmest for weight or size, or most breathable, or is made of the strongest fabric, etc. And those are parameters by which individuals may decide that a piece of gear is just right for them; the lightest windshell jacket is just what they want. For someone else who doesn't have the same budget, they will choose a functional, but slightly heavier windshell. So, if the person who plans to use the slightly heavier windshell on Camino, posts a list which includes said windshell, does that mean it is 'the best'? Nah, it's simply sharing a personal choice and relating a possibility.

I would never say that my Gossamer Gear backpack, for example, was 'the best'. Why? Because while it meets my criteria for size, weight, and comfort, that will not be the case for others. Some may find that the harness and waist belt may dig and not fit well. Others may find that the overall capacity of the bag, even for doing the same type of backpacking trip, is not sufficient to hold the gear they want to bring; even though I might find the capacity of the bag to be a bit larger than what I need.

To be clear to all, the gear list I posted was not the best of the possible gear available within any category. And if anyone truly believes that I posted a 'best of' list, then I will ask the moderator to remove that post.

3. I've used alpaca socks (an 80% blend with nylon) for winter mountaineering. For me, and again I empahsize -- for me -- I find them too hot, too insulating, for three season hiking. I also find that --- for me --- they wear out sooner than the smartwool-type socks I use. You and others like alpaca socks and believe they are the best, and I am not going to dispute that. I just prefer smartwool-types. I believe folks, many of whom here on the forum who have never heard of alpaca socks, should give them a try and see how they feel and work for them.

Thank you for the opportunity to clarify my intentions behind the posting of my gear list.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Those Leadville shoes are nice. I wear Altras for my wide duck feet! :) about half the time and my Chaco sandals the rest of the time. With the Chacos, no socks and I can step into the fountain to cool off and then keep walking!
Where did you hear the water is suspect beyond Burgos? I hadn't heard that. (I suspect that GI problems are usually caused by either food or a virus.)

Yeah, I get that about wide duck feet :) My Leadvilles are a 4EE wide width. My other pair of trail runners are the Brooks 'Beast', which also comes in wide-widths.

There have been several posts on this and the UK Camino forums. You are right about foodborne illness. It seems it was the posters themselves who ruled out food. In any case, I plan to 'sanitize, my water reservoir while passing through that area. :)

I live in the desert of WA state. Shorts until temps drop unde 40‡F. We've been close to and over 100‡F for the past couple of weeks.

I live in the desert of WA state. Shorts until temps drop unde 40‡F. We've been close to and over 100‡F for the past couple of weeks.
Hey... me, too. Douglas County above East Wenatchee. 102F today. :) It's expected to be the same all week. My shorts stay on to about the same; below 35F and the samrtwool longjohns go under the shorts.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.