Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Verde trail conditions?

LoWo

Time of past OR future Camino
April/May 2023 Norte
Has anyone done the Camino Verde alternative route out of Lugo this year and/or recently and can share how it was? I came across a post from last September describing some sketchy parts (where boardwalks are in bad shape) on the first stage into Friol and I’m wondering if it’s the same or worse since then.

I’m on the Primitivo currently outside of A Fonsagrada and I’m pretty sure I will go the Verde route but I’m just now realizing updated information about it is hard to come by.

In case anyone is wondering, I know it’s not an official route and it puts me at risk of not receiving a Compostela. But I am willing to take that risk in order to stay at Sobrado dos Monxes as well as to avoid Melide and Arzua. I’m finding for me personally that even busy-ish days in smaller cities on the Primitivo can really get me out of my groove and I want to relish in the quiet countryside as much as possible.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Has anyone done the Camino Verde alternative route out of Lugo this year and/or recently and can share how it was? I came across a post from last September describing some sketchy parts (where boardwalks are in bad shape) on the first stage into Friol and I’m wondering if it’s the same or worse since then.

I’m on the Primitivo currently outside of A Fonsagrada and I’m pretty sure I will go the Verde route but I’m just now realizing updated information about it is hard to come by.

In case anyone is wondering, I know it’s not an official route and it puts me at risk of not receiving a Compostela. But I am willing to take that risk in order to stay at Sobrado dos Monxes as well as to avoid Melide and Arzua. I’m finding for me personally that even busy-ish days in smaller cities on the Primitivo can really get me out of my groove and I want to relish in the quiet countryside as much as possible.
I am really interested in the answer to this question, but I don't see much information. I walked it in 2016. For others, here is that post in September.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...mitivo-to-sobrado-on-norte.42611/post-1068175
That is a little unencouraging, although it is or was an 'interesting' walk at the best of times.
I cannot see anything after that.

@notion900 any thoughts? Are you in touch with @xmsg?

As for not getting a compostela. I got one that year. I have not been collecting them since. The tourist office in Lugo told me at the time I was 'not allowed' to use the camino verde to cross over from the Primitvo to the Norte! Well......red rag to a bull. That convinced me to do it! :)

Sobrado dos Monxes, the monastery, is hugely worth the diversion and I see it is still going strong.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’m in Grandas the Salime at the moment and I planning to take camino verde after Lugo.
I would like to know the conditions of the camino but I’can’t find anything in internet

@Orange It seems no one is responding with any experience this year. Not too many people do it and of course not everyone reads or contributes to this forum :eek: My experience of asking in Lugo was not helpful - they told me at the tourist office I was not allowed to do it!! But I did!
The other place to look is on FB but I find it very hard to search for things on FB and cannot immediately find any information.
@LoWo We would love to hear of your experience - ;) if you took the route.

Yes, I have an update!!! I walked the Verde route from Lugo to Sobrado dos Monxes along with just a few other people. It is certainly the way to go if you like being among trees with simple countryside and are craving lots of solitude. Very few people and pretty much no services in between. You really have to get through both days on your own. There is also nowhere else to stop except Friol and Sobrado which forces you into minimum 25km days. But it’s pretty easy walking, especially compared to earlier Primitivo days. And help is findable if you truly need it.

IMG_8639.jpeg

IMG_8636.jpegSeems like the person who experienced broken boardwalks last Fall had unfortunate timing because everything has since been repaired - and I did see quite a lot of new boards in place and piles of what was replaced, so I have no doubt it was a pretty hard place to pass through before. It’s right outside Lugo that you’re on boardwalks for a while following a river (which was also my favorite part of the 2 days). Very lovely walking with the river and the trees.

After that it’s primarily forest trails and farm tracks. Some of the tracks are fairly overgrown and many of the farm tracks clearly see way more tractors and cows than pedestrians, but it’s all quite passable (though I think it’d be tough on a rainy day / week). Good days to wear long pants if you have a choice.

The waymarking is nearly 100% helpful and the arrows are actually pretty abundant and intuitive, but there is an occasional spot where the green arrow has been covered by green plants and is easy to miss and once or twice leads you into a fence. Most of the time they are on trees and rocks as there are very few infrastructure elements on which to mark. I recommend having a good map option with you. I used Mapy.cz and it has the Verde route marked pretty well (though occasionally with a slightly different path…I usually followed the arrows rather than my app). It’s also downloadable and I can use it in airplane mode and it will still very accurately track my location on the map.

Another observation was that I was more nervous about dogs as compared to other routes. Some of it was probably negative anticipation / being worried about it beforehand, but I think because they see far fewer pilgrims (or really any other people) day to day, the dogs along this way are more reactive and aggressive. If it hadn't been for closed fences / present owners, I might have had a much worse time.

The last thing I’ll add for those who haven’t yet experienced the last 100km or meeting up with the Frances, I actually rather enjoyed joining all the other pilgrims today when I finally met up with the Frances outside O Pedrouza. Maybe it’s because I’ve had quite a lot of solitude as a solo (slow) walker, but it was surprisingly nice to be around more people all going the same way. I actually decided to embrace the “noise” and listen to music I like in my headphones and felt more motivated to walk than I have the last few days. Prior, I never wanted to “spoil” the silence and/or needed to keep my ears open for traffic while road walking. It was nice to have a little more distraction from tired feet. Just wanted to add that for anyone still not sure which route they want to take - I think the “official” way is what you make of it. Of course I can’t speak to how it feels to be in Melide or Arzua.

But again, if you’re still processing things and are really enjoying solitude still, the Verde route is a lovely option! Plus staying at the monastery in Sobrado was very nice, especially with the collection of well-spirited pilgrims I was glad to share the evening and morning with.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes, I have an update!!! I walked the Verde route from Lugo to Sobrado dos Monxes along with just a few other people. It is certainly the way to go if you like being among trees with simple countryside and are craving lots of solitude. Very few people and pretty much no services in between. You really have to get through both days on your own. There is also nowhere else to stop except Friol and Sobrado which forces you into minimum 25km days. But it’s pretty easy walking, especially compared to earlier Primitivo days. And help is findable if you truly need it.

View attachment 147211

View attachment 147209Seems like the person who experienced broken boardwalks last Fall had unfortunate timing because everything has since been repaired - and I did see quite a lot of new boards in place and piles of what was replaced, so I have no doubt it was a pretty hard place to pass through before. It’s right outside Lugo that you’re on boardwalks for a while following a river (which was also my favorite part of the 2 days). Very lovely walking with the river and the trees.

After that it’s primarily forest trails and farm tracks. Some of the tracks are fairly overgrown and many of the farm tracks clearly see way more tractors and cows than pedestrians, but it’s all quite passable (though I think it’d be tough on a rainy day / week). Good days to wear long pants if you have a choice.

The waymarking is nearly 100% helpful and the arrows are actually pretty abundant and intuitive, but there is an occasional spot where the green arrow has been covered by green plants and is easy to miss and once or twice leads you into a fence. Most of the time they are on trees and rocks as there are very few infrastructure elements on which to mark. I recommend having a good map option with you. I used Mapy.cz and it has the Verde route marked pretty well (though occasionally with a slightly different path…I usually followed the arrows rather than my app). It’s also downloadable and I can use it in airplane mode and it will still very accurately track my location on the map.

Another observation was that I was more nervous about dogs as compared to other routes. Some of it was probably negative anticipation / being worried about it beforehand, but I think because they see far fewer pilgrims (or really any other people) day to day, the dogs along this way are more reactive and aggressive. If it hadn't been for closed fences / present owners, I might have had a much worse time.

The last thing I’ll add for those who haven’t yet experienced the last 100km or meeting up with the Frances, I actually rather enjoyed joining all the other pilgrims today when I finally met up with the Frances outside O Pedrouza. Maybe it’s because I’ve had quite a lot of solitude as a solo (slow) walker, but it was surprisingly nice to be around more people all going the same way. I actually decided to embrace the “noise” and listen to music I like in my headphones and felt more motivated to walk than I have the last few days. Prior, I never wanted to “spoil” the silence and/or needed to keep my ears open for traffic while road walking. It was nice to have a little more distraction from tired feet. Just wanted to add that for anyone still not sure which route they want to take - I think the “official” way is what you make of it. Of course I can’t speak to how it feels to be in Melide or Arzua.

But again, if you’re still processing things and are really enjoying solitude still, the Verde route is a lovely option! Plus staying at the monastery in Sobrado was very nice, especially with the collection of well-spirited pilgrims I was glad to share the evening and morning with.
Fantastic @LoWo thanks for taking the time to give us your report - which is most encouraging. One of the real gifts of this forum is this kind of 'real time' sharing of information. [And it vastly outweighs some of the more contentious discussions here sometimes. 😁😁😁]
Really glad that the combination of the Via Verde and Sobrado is still available. Excellent news.
Tim

@Orange I hope this is in time for you!

Last edited:
Fantastic @LoWo thanks for taking the time to give us your report - which is most encouraging. One of the real gifts of this forum is this kind of 'real time' sharing of information. [And it vastly outweighs some of the more contentious discussions here sometimes. 😁😁😁]
Really glad that the combination of the Via Verde and Sobrado is still available. Excellent news.
Tim

@Orange I hope this is in time for you!
Yes I’ve appreciated the “real time” info sharing the most as well! Philosophical discussions can get out of hand pretty quickly when we don’t have the benefit of tone and body language and also when we feel more emboldened behind a keyboard.

Thanks for the information. My partner and I will be following the Verde in about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks when we reach that point. Great to have the update!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
LoWo, how/where do you leave Lugo to connect to the Verde? We're sitting now in Plaza Mayor and not sure where to start in the morning.

Great write up, thank you for that.

View attachment 147211

View attachment 147209Seems like the person who experienced broken boardwalks last Fall had unfortunate timing because everything has since been repaired - and I did see quite a lot of new boards in place and piles of what was replaced, so I have no doubt it was a pretty hard place to pass through before. It’s right outside Lugo that you’re on boardwalks for a while following a river (which was also my favorite part of the 2 days). Very lovely walking with the river and the trees.

The waymarking is nearly 100% helpful and the arrows are actually pretty abundant and intuitive, but there is an occasional spot where the green arrow has been covered by green plants and is easy to miss and once or twice leads you into a fence. Most of the time they are on trees and rocks as there are very few infrastructure elements on which to mark. I recommend having a good map option with you. I used Mapy.cz and it has the Verde route marked pretty well (though
To

LoWo, how/where do you leave Lugo to connect to the Verde? We're sitting now in Plaza Mayor and not sure where to start in the morning.

Great write up, thank you for that.

To
You will find detailed advice and instructions here. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...er-lugo-on-primitivo-to-sobrado-on-norte.508/

As I remember from many years ago, you head out of Lugo on the 'regular' camino and you are looking for a right turn (marked with a green arrow) probably within the second km from where you have started. Good luck and I hope you will enjoy it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’m in Grandas the Salime at the moment and I planning to take camino verde after Lugo.
I would like to know the conditions of the camino but I’can’t find anything in internet

Thanks for the information. My partner and I will be following the Verde in about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks when we reach that point. Great to have the update!

Thank you!
So all how did it go? Heading out in three weeks, sounds like a great option...

Last edited:
Hi Peter, if you're looking to avoid the crush after joining the Frances at Melide and all the road walking on the Primitivo after Lugo, the Camino Verde is absolutely the way to go. If you add the Norte Variant so that you join the Frances at the airport, it's even better.

Of all the days we've spent walking our four Caminos, the two days of the Verde were the absolute best! It was so beautiful. We walked the Verde on May 29 and 30, so it was still very spring like, especially after the week of rains. The grass was tall, the flowers in full bloom, the trees full of leaves; it was beautiful. There were sections along the second day where the route takes you through old abandoned farm access roads where at times a weed whacker would have been helpful to make our way.

Yes, the elevated walkway has been repaired.

Day 1 to Friol is very well marked with green arrows. We never got lost, but there was an intersection roughly halfway through the day where the arrows pointed both right and left. We ended up going right and it was just fine. There's very little road walking, but where you had to walk along the road, there was very little traffic. The exception is at the end. You walk out of the woods and have roughly two miles of road walking to get to Friol. While we didn't stay here, the food at Casa Benigno in Friol was very good, and the service was excellent.

Leaving Friol on day two was a little confusing since we tried to follow the PDF write up. The write up was, with apologies to the author, far too detailed. For example, it says within the first mile to cross a wooden bridge and "bear right", which gave us the impression that the path divided and we should take the right. There was no divided path. The path simply goes right. A hundred meters further the path comes to a T with no green arrow that we could find. We thought this was where we should bear right, but it didn't make sense for leaving town, so we correctly went left. We only saw two other pilgrims on these two days. They went right at the T and got lost. They got lost several times on day 2, but mostly from not paying attention. The green arrows on the black asphalt can be difficult to see at times, plus some vegetation has grown over some arrows.

Once you merge with the Norte, it's mostly walking along a path beside a very busy road. In a few miles the way takes you away from the busy road and you walk along a suburban road with houses on the left and right until you arrive at Sobrado. We stayed at the very nice Pension Via Sacre. They have one of the best breakfasts that I've seen on Camino, and the café next door does a great pilgrim meal.

The Norte Variant leaves the Norte just past A Gandara and is the right way if you're looking to avoid the Frances. Lots of road walking, but mostly on small secondary roads. I don't think we saw more than four cars pass by us on this section. There's roughly four miles along a road with heavy traffic, but there's a gravel service road alongside that is easy walking, but zero shade. Then you cross a bridge over the A-54 right at the end of the runway and join the Frances.

Do note that there is zero support along the Verde. No cafes. No gas stations. Nothing at all, so you have to bring all the food and water you'll need.

Attachments

• 20230529_131953.jpg
    20230529_131953.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 20230530_085912.jpg
    20230530_085912.jpg
    536.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230530_090134.jpg
    20230530_090134.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
Brilliant!! Exactly the info I needed, & very concise. Many, many thanks.
When you say 'zero support ' I assume you mean during the day, as you mentioned the food at Casa Benigno was very good. I'm used to carrying my 'daily need's ' , so that's no biggie, but thanks for the heads up. Pilgrims are pretty spoilt on most of the Caminos! Incidentally, if not at C. Benigno, where did you stay?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When you say 'zero support ' I assume you mean during the day, as you mentioned the food at Casa Benigno was very good. I'm used to carrying my 'daily need's ' , so that's no biggie, but thanks for the heads up.
Yes, I do mean during the day's walk. On day 2, after you join the Norte, there is a bar roughly two miles down the road. We were really appreciative of the beer on that hot and sunny day!

Incidentally, if not at C. Benigno, where did you stay?
We booked ahead*, so when we choose to take a zero in Lugo we had to cancel our rooms and find new ones. My wife, @ratherbefollowingflechas, found us an apartment roughly 3/4 of a mile outside of Friol. It was behind a veterinarian Hospital. While odd, the room was very nice with laundry and did allow us to pet the puppies, which was awesome!

*We like to book ahead. The stress from chasing a bed is not something we enjoy anymore. This way we can walk our own pace and not worry. Plus my wife says that we save a bed in a bunkroom for those that cannot afford a private room and no one is subjected to my snoring. Well, except her! 😂

Attachments

• 20230529_185542.jpg
    20230529_185542.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Brilliant!! Exactly the info I needed, & very concise. Many, many thanks.
When you say 'zero support ' I assume you mean during the day, as you mentioned the food at Casa Benigno was very good. I'm used to carrying my 'daily need's ' , so that's no biggie, but thanks for the heads up. Pilgrims are pretty spoilt on most of the Caminos! Incidentally, if not at C. Benigno, where did you stay?
I walked the Verde in2019,loved it,the green patches were easy to follow,and never got lost. After biomorto there is a variant that goes to lavacola then santiago. It is well marked and easy to follow. I wanted to avoid the Frances crush,and would walk this way again. The albergue in biomorto has a large sign that describes this portion of the walk. I had no problem getting my papers at the end.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.