• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camp or Albergues

Benmooyman

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning - Camino De Santiago July/August 2015
Hi guys :)
So it's official I arrive at St Jean on July the 29th, I am extremely excited!
Although because I am a teacher my only option was to walk the camino in the busiest month of the year.

I am wondering if it is worth taking a tent along with me encase I don't manage to find a speer bed at an albergue, or at the very least at thin light mattress so I can at least sleep on the floor somewhere.

I do love camping, although I am from NZ, which has none of the nasty animals that could kill you. I don't know if Spain has wolves, bears or wild dogs, but I am wondering if it is safe to camp in Spain.o_O

Thanks for your help :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi @Benmooyman - we've been hauling a tent along the El Norte route for the last few weeks. I love the privacy and cleanliness of our tent but I doubt we would do it again. There are strict laws preventing free camping in most of Spain and it is not so easy to set up a tent in the grounds of the albergues (as we had planned). The ones in town usually only have a tiny garden or courtyard. In three weeks of walking so far we've only used the tent five times. Instead we have found very reasonable private rooms - being a couple makes it cheaper. For us the extra weight (tent, sleeping mat) is really not worth it.

Not being a camper, I hope that you will get responses from more knowledgeable peregrinos here.
These and some search on the internet will reveal that there are very few camping sites located along the camino; wild camping is not allowed by many juntas (communes) and you will sorely require a good shower after your 25 to 30km every day. Another internet search will show you that the camino leads (mostly) through well populated areas in a country that is part of the first world (with nature parks where indeed you might spot "wolves, bears or wild dogs", if you are very lucky, but not on the camino!)
The pilgrimage exists since a thousand years or more and has created a wonderful infrastructure with ample accommodation in albergues, refugios, hostals, mesons and hotels and you'll get a bed even in August! Inform yourself on this forum, you'll find that your best way to walk to Santiago is to join the flow and enjoy the company of other peregrinos from all over the world.
Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think sleeping out 1 or 2 nights in the very rural areas would be fun, but I didn't bring a lightweight mat. The wild animals are long gone unless you run into one of those wild Canadians..

In all likelihood you will have an albergue bed to sleep in every night, but if the prospect of sacking out on the ground is on your mind, bring one of those lightweight sleep pads. Roll it up tight and cinch to the bottom of your pack.
And Spain does have wild boars, bears, wolves and a couple of species of poisonous vipers. :rolleyes:
cheers

I'm going to try camp as much as possible as on a budget

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I suspect the first thing you'll ship home is your tent.
I predict the first thing you'll dump in a free box along the way (with the other hundreds of them) is your mat.

Just go.
You'll find a place to sleep.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back