A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Camping legally on the Francés – albergues that allow to pitch a tent?

Camino Badges

good_old_shoes

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('15)
Via Coloniensis ('16)
Trier-Nancy + Le Puy-Fisterra ('17)
Aragonés ('18)
Hello dear fellow pilgrims, I‘m in need of some information that some of you hopefully are able to provide :)

(NOTE: This is not meant to be a discussion about whether to camp or not, and also not about the issue of wild/stealth camping. I have carried and used full camping gear on Caminos before, in Germany as well as in France, always stayed on official campsites or with the permission of the gîte. The last time on the Francés I regretted having sent home the tent in St. Jean and would like to find out about places where a tent can be used without wild camping. So, please, no discussion about it being illegal, about pack weight, higher prices for camp grounds vs. albergues, missing out on comradery ect. Some of us simply like to sleep outside from time to time. Thank you)

So far, I found some ressources about official campsites, some very close to the Camino, some a bit off the way. Those are easy to find online. But I do know from personal experience that there were a few albergues along the way that seemed to allow pitching a tent next to the albergue (similar to the gîtes in France) – those are the ones I‘m interested in.

So, maybe some of you have some recent information about albergues that allow pilgrims to pitch a tent?

In 2015 and 2017 I remember people sleeping in tents in Estella municipal (in the back yard) and La Faba (in front of the german albergue), for example (and a few more).

Any kind of information is appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!

Last edited:

Lifeisgood

Camino(s) past & future
Walked the Camino Frances in September/October 2018 (St Jean Pied de Port - Finisterra)
Hello! I don't have too much information about it but I can reaffirm that the German municipal albergue in La Faba allows camping in their yard as well as the municipal albergues in Larrasoana and Los Arcos. Fellow pilgrims have camped there last year September/October. Hopefully there will be more replies :)

good_old_shoes

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('15)
Via Coloniensis ('16)
Aragonés ('18)
Thank you so much, Lifeisgood! Didn't know that Los Arcos might allow it. Good to know. :)

good_old_shoes

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('15)
Via Coloniensis ('16)
Aragonés ('18)
Thanks for the linked video, samoht.w. It is mostly about laws regarding free/wild/stealth camping. While it is not exactly what I'm looking for, it will certainly be helpful to others. Thank you!

(edit the opening post to clarify)

Last edited:

Lifeisgood

Camino(s) past & future
Walked the Camino Frances in September/October 2018 (St Jean Pied de Port - Finisterra)
While I heard from a fellow pilgrim definitely camping in the yards of municipal albergues Larrasoana, Los Arcos and La Faba last year (I edited my post, forgot Larrasoana ;) ), she eventually ditched her camping gear since it turned out to be more of a hassle to find camping spots the closer she got to SdC. It is possible though and again, I hope more people will reply :)

Just also remembered: Another fellow pilgrim had one of these cool and fancy biwak hammocks! He reported having much less hassle with that asking in municipal albergues if he could hang his hammock at night since it was not a full tent. So maybe that would be another option :)

good_old_shoes

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('15)
Via Coloniensis ('16)
Aragonés ('18)
Tried the hammock, but prefer to stay on the ground. Good idea though!

Last edited:

malingerer

Tried the hammock, but prefer to stay on the ground. Good idea though!
Hi and hope things are going well for you. I carried and used (but not too often!) a Terra nova laser Competition 1 which can be snugged down to sub kilo. I am thinking more of next time I would use a tarp which will lighten up even more and can be used with a little thought in a variety of circumstances. Would trade off for a decent mat tho as my ancient bones might complain. :)

Yours aye,

the malingerer.

good_old_shoes

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('15)
Via Coloniensis ('16)
Aragonés ('18)
I carried a 1,5 kg tent plus a therm-a-rest Z-lite the last time. Was very happy with the weight. All I need to know is where there are possibilities to pitch my little home, which would make planning for walking longer days so much easier :)

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Camino(s) past & future
2019 Biarritz-Pamplona-Lourdes
2018 Aragon/Frances/Finis
2018 Operation Sabre
2018 Marin Ramble
Zabaldika (between Zubiri and Pamplona) has a designated area for two tents just outside the church and albergue. It’s a lovely spot, though I have not personally camped there.

Anthony18

Camino(s) past & future
Hello dear fellow pilgrims, I‘m in need of some information that some of you hopefully are able to provide :)

(NOTE: This is not meant to be a discussion about whether to camp or not, and also not about the issue of wild/stealth camping. I have carried and used full camping gear on Caminos before, in Germany as well as in France, always stayed on official campsites or with the permission of the gîte. The last time on the Francés I regretted having sent home the tent in St. Jean and would like to find out about places where a tent can be used without wild camping. So, please, no discussion about it being illegal, about pack weight, higher prices for camp grounds vs. albergues, missing out on comradery ect. Some of us simply like to sleep outside from time to time. Thank you)

So far, I found some ressources about official campsites, some very close to the Camino, some a bit off the way. Those are easy to find online. But I do know from personal experience that there were a few albergues along the way that seemed to allow pitching a tent next to the albergue (similar to the gîtes in France) – those are the ones I‘m interested in.

So, maybe some of you have some recent information about albergues that allow pilgrims to pitch a tent?

In 2015 and 2017 I remember people sleeping in tents in Estella municipal (in the back yard) and La Faba (in front of the german albergue), for example (and a few more).

View attachment 57968
Hey Good Old Shoes, found this online. It includes numbers, so maybe you can call and inquire. I'm taking a tent as well. Don't expect to need it, but it's light enough that I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Best of luck and buen camino!. Camino Camping sites list

Mr Magoo

Camino(s) past & future
Pilegrimsleden ( 2016).
Camino Primitivo ( 2017).
I used a home made poncho/tarp a few times in September 2017, when I did the Primitivo. Once I'd joined the Frances I used it again at a private Albergue in Pedrouzo. Albergue "O Burgo". I was made very welcome to camp on the big lawn at the back. Excellent Albergue, and good value at cafe next door.

Raggy

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Mozarabe Almeria (2017)
Cherhill to Canterbury - Pilgrims' Way (2018)
Via Francigena (2019)
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
I should have mentioned in my last post that the start point for our stage ending in El Burgo Ranero was Sahagun and that there is a campground there. It is located on the camino just a short distance outside of town, west of the river.

Here are two other places (both private) that we stayed at that had good grounds for a tent (although I don't know if tenting is allowed):

Trude

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francais 2013 Finnestere, Muxia 2013, 2017
Norte 2014, Francais, 2015, 2016, VDLP 2017
I carried a 1,5 kg tent plus a therm-a-rest Z-lite the last time. Was very happy with the weight. All I need to know is where there are possibilities to pitch my little home, which would make planning for walking longer days so much easier :)
La Rosa Del Agua in Acebo has a camping area

good_old_shoes

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('15)
Via Coloniensis ('16)
Aragonés ('18)
Thanks for all the replies! Seems like there are more spots than I thought. Good to know :)

Dandabika

Camino(s) past & future
Completed GR65 (2016)

View attachment 57968
I've slept in a Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy, and under my poncho when it got nasty. The bivy weighs less than 8 ounces and folds up the size of an orange. The Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil® Nano Ponch weighs the same and folds the same size. I also used a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Xlite Short air mattress that weighs about 8 ounces and has about R-3 thermal value. I also use a Katabatic gear Flex quilt that fits me like a glove. This kit is made of colors that blend in so you can sneak a few Zzz without anyone noticing. I used my pole to set the system up. Bon voyage.

radar9628

Camino(s) past & future
August 2019

View attachment 57968
I am interested in regard to the Camino Frances please. Thank you.

good_old_shoes

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('15)
Via Coloniensis ('16)
Aragonés ('18)
So the list is getting longer. Thanks everyone.

jerbear

Camino(s) past & future
Camino de madrid, camino francis, camino inverino (2012, 2013,2014)
CdM, Francis, San salvador, primativo june 2015 CDM , francis, inverino 2016
Camino madrid, via de Plata. Santiago.
Coast of the dead malpica to muxia
Take your own risk.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 3.9%
  • April

Votes: 159 15.3%
  • May

Votes: 259 24.9%