• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping legally on the Francés – albergues that allow to pitch a tent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

good_old_shoes

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés ('15, '19)
Via Coloniensis ('16)
Trier-Nancy + Le Puy-Fisterra ('17)
Aragonés ('18)
Hello dear fellow pilgrims, I‘m in need of some information that some of you hopefully are able to provide :)

(NOTE: This is not meant to be a discussion about whether to camp or not, and also not about the issue of wild/stealth camping. I have carried and used full camping gear on Caminos before, in Germany as well as in France, always stayed on official campsites or with the permission of the gîte. The last time on the Francés I regretted having sent home the tent in St. Jean and would like to find out about places where a tent can be used without wild camping. So, please, no discussion about it being illegal, about pack weight, higher prices for camp grounds vs. albergues, missing out on comradery ect. Some of us simply like to sleep outside from time to time. Thank you)

So far, I found some ressources about official campsites, some very close to the Camino, some a bit off the way. Those are easy to find online. But I do know from personal experience that there were a few albergues along the way that seemed to allow pitching a tent next to the albergue (similar to the gîtes in France) – those are the ones I‘m interested in.

So, maybe some of you have some recent information about albergues that allow pilgrims to pitch a tent?

In 2015 and 2017 I remember people sleeping in tents in Estella municipal (in the back yard) and La Faba (in front of the german albergue), for example (and a few more).

Any kind of information is appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello! I don't have too much information about it but I can reaffirm that the German municipal albergue in La Faba allows camping in their yard as well as the municipal albergues in Larrasoana and Los Arcos. Fellow pilgrims have camped there last year September/October. Hopefully there will be more replies :)

Thank you so much, Lifeisgood! Didn't know that Los Arcos might allow it. Good to know. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for the linked video, samoht.w. It is mostly about laws regarding free/wild/stealth camping. While it is not exactly what I'm looking for, it will certainly be helpful to others. Thank you!

(edit the opening post to clarify)

Last edited:
While I heard from a fellow pilgrim definitely camping in the yards of municipal albergues Larrasoana, Los Arcos and La Faba last year (I edited my post, forgot Larrasoana ;) ), she eventually ditched her camping gear since it turned out to be more of a hassle to find camping spots the closer she got to SdC. It is possible though and again, I hope more people will reply :)

Just also remembered: Another fellow pilgrim had one of these cool and fancy biwak hammocks! He reported having much less hassle with that asking in municipal albergues if he could hang his hammock at night since it was not a full tent. So maybe that would be another option :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Tried the hammock, but prefer to stay on the ground. Good idea though!

Last edited:
Tried the hammock, but prefer to stay on the ground. Good idea though!

Hi and hope things are going well for you. I carried and used (but not too often!) a Terra nova laser Competition 1 which can be snugged down to sub kilo. I am thinking more of next time I would use a tarp which will lighten up even more and can be used with a little thought in a variety of circumstances. Would trade off for a decent mat tho as my ancient bones might complain. :)

Yours aye,

the malingerer.

I carried a 1,5 kg tent plus a therm-a-rest Z-lite the last time. Was very happy with the weight. All I need to know is where there are possibilities to pitch my little home, which would make planning for walking longer days so much easier :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Zabaldika (between Zubiri and Pamplona) has a designated area for two tents just outside the church and albergue. It’s a lovely spot, though I have not personally camped there.

Hello dear fellow pilgrims, I‘m in need of some information that some of you hopefully are able to provide :)

(NOTE: This is not meant to be a discussion about whether to camp or not, and also not about the issue of wild/stealth camping. I have carried and used full camping gear on Caminos before, in Germany as well as in France, always stayed on official campsites or with the permission of the gîte. The last time on the Francés I regretted having sent home the tent in St. Jean and would like to find out about places where a tent can be used without wild camping. So, please, no discussion about it being illegal, about pack weight, higher prices for camp grounds vs. albergues, missing out on comradery ect. Some of us simply like to sleep outside from time to time. Thank you)

So far, I found some ressources about official campsites, some very close to the Camino, some a bit off the way. Those are easy to find online. But I do know from personal experience that there were a few albergues along the way that seemed to allow pitching a tent next to the albergue (similar to the gîtes in France) – those are the ones I‘m interested in.

So, maybe some of you have some recent information about albergues that allow pilgrims to pitch a tent?

In 2015 and 2017 I remember people sleeping in tents in Estella municipal (in the back yard) and La Faba (in front of the german albergue), for example (and a few more).

View attachment 57968
Hey Good Old Shoes, found this online. It includes numbers, so maybe you can call and inquire. I'm taking a tent as well. Don't expect to need it, but it's light enough that I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Best of luck and buen camino!. Camino Camping sites list

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used a home made poncho/tarp a few times in September 2017, when I did the Primitivo. Once I'd joined the Frances I used it again at a private Albergue in Pedrouzo. Albergue "O Burgo". I was made very welcome to camp on the big lawn at the back. Excellent Albergue, and good value at cafe next door.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I should have mentioned in my last post that the start point for our stage ending in El Burgo Ranero was Sahagun and that there is a campground there. It is located on the camino just a short distance outside of town, west of the river.

Here are two other places (both private) that we stayed at that had good grounds for a tent (although I don't know if tenting is allowed):

I carried a 1,5 kg tent plus a therm-a-rest Z-lite the last time. Was very happy with the weight. All I need to know is where there are possibilities to pitch my little home, which would make planning for walking longer days so much easier :)
La Rosa Del Agua in Acebo has a camping area

A selection of Camino Jewellery

View attachment 57968
I've slept in a Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy, and under my poncho when it got nasty. The bivy weighs less than 8 ounces and folds up the size of an orange. The Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil® Nano Ponch weighs the same and folds the same size. I also used a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Xlite Short air mattress that weighs about 8 ounces and has about R-3 thermal value. I also use a Katabatic gear Flex quilt that fits me like a glove. This kit is made of colors that blend in so you can sneak a few Zzz without anyone noticing. I used my pole to set the system up. Bon voyage.

View attachment 57968
I am interested in regard to the Camino Frances please. Thank you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So the list is getting longer. Thanks everyone.

Take your own risk.

So the list is getting longer. Thanks everyone.

Hi there good_old_shoes, just wondering if you had any recommendations yourself since you finished your Camino last summer? I'm planning on taking a tent this July/ August for Francés/ Invierno combo...any more tips would be great! 🤗

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi there good_old_shoes, just wondering if you had any recommendations yourself since you finished your Camino last summer? I'm planning on taking a tent this July/ August for Francés/ Invierno combo...any more tips would be great! 🤗

Hi, welcome to the forum! The OP hasn't been back since July. Maybe start your own thread with your plans and questions?

Ah, I forgot to check the 'last seen' status, that was my first post!.. Thank you for the tip and for the welcome jsalt, I'll do just that! 😁

So sorry to see someone asked a question I didn‘t notice! It‘s a bit late, but here‘s a short update anyway:

I did carry the tent, but gave up on it (again) after a while, regretting doing so (again! 🤦‍♀️) later on.

There were several reasons for that, one of them some frustrating experiences right in the beginning. Even at a place where camping was an official option it felt like it wasn't really welcome, and that feeling stuck with me for some reason. Since that wasn‘t something I wanted to deal with at the time, I changed back to the good old bunk beds.

Later on there were many nice possibilities to set up a tent, though. Sadly in my early on frustration I had already left the tent behind. Wrong decision! It‘s certainly possible to camp many of the days if you really want to.

I had planned to make a list of campsites and tent friendly albergues, but it seems like wether you're allowed to put up a tent or not can change quickly, depending upon the current hospitalero. I got a firm no from a place that was supposedly tent friendly, and saw tents at places I had no info of them being an option for tentigrinos.

Despite the difficulties, on the next Camino I'll try again, with a different mindset :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
So sorry to see someone asked a question I didn‘t notice! It‘s a bit late, but here‘s a short update anyway:

I did carry the tent, but gave up on it (again) after a while, regretting doing so (again! 🤦‍♀️) later on.

There were several reasons for that, one of them some frustrating experiences right in the beginning. Even at a place where camping was an official option it felt like it wasn't really welcome, and that feeling stuck with me for some reason. Since that wasn‘t something I wanted to deal with at the time, I changed back to the good old bunk beds.

Later on there were many nice possibilities to set up a tent, though. Sadly in my early on frustration I had already left the tent behind. Wrong decision! It‘s certainly possible to camp many of the days if you really want to.

I had planned to make a list of campsites and tent friendly albergues, but it seems like wether you're allowed to put up a tent or not can change quickly, depending upon the current hospitalero. I got a firm no from a place that was supposedly tent friendly, and saw tents at places I had no info of them being an option for tentigrinos.

Despite the difficulties, on the next Camino I'll try again, with a different mindset :)

It was me! Wow thanks for the response! 😊 That's interesting to hear, I love to camp but I had been wondering a while back if it would present more difficulties trying to find spots and carrying the extra gear. However, if I was still going this summer I would have definitely brought a tent, hopefully I'll make it next year. Thanks so much for your insights, much appreciated! 😊😊

Hey Good Old Shoes, found this online. It includes numbers, so maybe you can call and inquire. I'm taking a tent as well. Don't expect to need it, but it's light enough that I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Best of luck and buen camino!. Camino Camping sites list
Thanks for this. It seems that there are quite a few opportunities for camping along the Camino, but I wonder how much of a “pilgrim atmosphere” there would be at these sites. Has anyone here been to any of these campsites? Some feedback would be great. What I’m really looking for is the option to pitch a tent on the grounds of an albergue, so I’m still around pilgrims (rather than holiday makers) but don’t have to sleep in a jam-packed dorm if the weather is nice outside.

Thanks for this. It seems that there are quite a few opportunities for camping along the Camino, but I wonder how much of a “pilgrim atmosphere” there would be at these sites. Has anyone here been to any of these campsites? Some feedback would be great. What I’m really looking for is the option to pitch a tent on the grounds of an albergue, so I’m still around pilgrims (rather than holiday makers) but don’t have to sleep in a jam-packed dorm if the weather is nice outside.
this list of campgrounds may be a bit old. I have gone through it and is seemes that campgrounds in mansilla and arzua have closed; I also haven't been able to find any info on the camping on monte do gozo. the prices cited on campground sites are higher also in most cases, unless these are prices especially for pilgrims. at least three campgrounds also have albergues (urrobi, fuentes blancas and castrojeriz) but I'm not sure if pilgrims actually stay there (except in castrojeriz which is on the camino).

this german site has lots of info on albergues who allow pitching a tent, often with prices.

I have made a list of albergues with now added info about camping/pitching a tent. I welcome any extra info!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am thinking of camping if I go this summer, the biggest worries for me aside from the travelling to and back from the Camino is showers and toilets. Toilets were shown to have been a major transmission vehicle with SARS and because Covid19 is the same family of viruses I assume it is as well, so aside from taking a little trowel with me and doing it Bear style I'm not sure what are the other options are..I can clean surfaces in toilets, but it would also mean a change of clothes everytime I use them. If I do go along the coast then I hope the shower aspect is taken care by the outdoor beach shower's that are usually dotted along the coast.

I stayed at one campsite while on Camino, the Fuentes Blancas campsite on the way into Burgos by the river. I must admit there wasn't much of a pilgrim atmosphere. The only other pilgrims we saw there were a few bicigrinos who arrived late (after we went to bed, if I remember correctly). In general, I think pitching a tent by an albergue is likely to give a more "pilgrim community" experience. Much the same, although at the other end of the spectrum, as getting a private room in an albergue that has a few private rooms alongside the dorms.

this list of campgrounds may be a bit old. I have gone through it and is seemes that campgrounds in mansilla and arzua have closed; I also haven't been able to find any info on the camping on monte do gozo. the prices cited on campground sites are higher also in most cases, unless these are prices especially for pilgrims. at least three campgrounds also have albergues (urrobi, fuentes blancas and castrojeriz) but I'm not sure if pilgrims actually stay there (except in castrojeriz which is on the camino).

this german site has lots of info on albergues who allow pitching a tent, often with prices.

I have made a list of albergues with now added info about camping/pitching a tent. I welcome any extra info!
More good information, thanks.

@caminka, that list is amazing! It seems one can walk the whole Frances from SJPP without having to share a dorm or stay inside.
did anyone test the list in 2021?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.