• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can I walk while taking blood thinners

frank john

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2016
October-November 2024
I was just treated for blood clots in lungs. I am fine but must take blood thinners. The doctors told me to NOT take any Ibprofan, a must for pain relief. I walked the Camino in 2012 and 2014 and hope to walk this Fall. Have any if you walked while taking blood thinners? What might be a substitute pain reliever?
Thanks for any advice. Frank john

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
John, you are a stalwart pilgrim and I appreciate your enthusiasm to let nothing stop you as you return to the Camino. First, talk to your doctor about these issues. He will also have excellent ideas about alternative pain relievers. I am sure you will be able to obtain them from a Spanish pharmacy.

I have taken blood thinners in the past, but never had a need for them prior to walking in Spain, France, or anywhere else. They can be tricky medications should you diet change, which it will on Camino. This will have an impact on dosage. If you are determined to go, you may need to check into potential sites for blood work to confirm proper dosage.

Lastly, I cannot remember the name of some of the topical applications I have used, but got in a pharmacy in Spain. It was excellent, had no fragrance and worked well on my leg muscles.

I would be curious about your doctor's advice and look forward to hearing about it.

Buen Camino

Yes, my husband, he is under Warfarine treatment after pulmonar embolism (a small one, don't panic in case some here on the forum know him, he is absolutely fine now). His doctor actually encouraged him to go more walking as for alternative pain relief - please ask your doctor or pharmacist as this depends highly on your specific blood thinning medication. Buen Camino, SY

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
All good advice from @MichaelB10398 , @SYates and @dougfitz but I have to add one note.

As Michael has noted, there are often topical pain relievers available, quite effective, in the farmacias.

Except for the homeopathic formulas (arnica, etc.), all the ones that I saw were largely composed of NSAIDs like Ibuprofen or Diclofenac. The latter as "Voltaren" is quite popular. This class of drugs is typically off-limits for those with bleeding issues.

Make sure that you and your doctor have a conversation about whether the topical application of such creams is a problem.

Buen Camino,

B

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Frank and welcome, I am on two different blood thinners and cannot take Ibprofan either or any painkiller that contains an anti inflamatory. I am allowed to use Panadol or Paramol which is stronger. As the others have said, check this with your own doctor.
I also carry an ICE card which has a USB memory stick built in, this has all my medical history plus the meds I am on, I also translated this info into Spanish and French and this worked well for me in 2014.

Hi Frank,
I also have to take warfarin thanks to a blood clot in the lungs. Mine occurred about 10 years ago and at the time my work took me away from home a lot and getting my INR checked at my local hospital turned out to be difficult to arrange. My solution was to but a self test kit (which can be expensive), see e.g. https://shop.coaguchek.com/buy/coaguchek-xs-system/?gclid=CPnsp-Xik8oCFYWfGwodG3YLZA . However such a self monitoring kit will allow you to monitor and control your warfarin dosage. Since you will be on a different diet and may or may not indulge in the local wine your blood chemistry will change and the amount of warfarin you need may go up or down. But with a self test kit you can control the amount of warfarin you take. In my case when I need to use Ibprofan I do and just keep a check on my INR. But check with your medical professional no matter what you do.

I suggest you speak to your GP about self monitoring. I had to go on a course to learn how to use the tester and how to manage the dosages, so you do not get one just for the asking. However I find it very helpful in normal situations never mind on the Camino.

Aidan

Be sure you wear a medical warning bracelet or neck pendant. If there is any kind of accident blood thinners change the EMT protocol.

Good point! Recommended!

And excellent suggestion by @Aidan21 Self monitoring is pretty much state of the art for diabetics, so why not for people under blood thinner treatment? Really ask your doc about this possibility. Buen Camino, SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I was just treated for blood clots in lungs. I am fine but must take blood thinners. The doctors told me to NOT take any Ibprofan, a must for pain relief. I walked the Camino in 2012 and 2014 and hope to walk this Fall. Have any if you walked while taking blood thinners? What might be a substitute pain reliever?
Thanks for any advice. Frank john
I take a blood thinners. Fortunately for me I'll be able to stop them 30 days before my camino.
With the exception of Tylenol, which is good for fever and pain but does nothing to relive inflemation, the source of most aches and pains, everything else is contra-indicated. There is a effective anti-inflammatory rub that you can buy over the counter in Spain called valtorin but it to may be contra-indicated. Consult with your doctor and discuss it. There may be new pain relives out there that you can take. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Last edited:
Good point! Recommended!

And excellent suggestion by @Aidan21 Self monitoring is pretty much state of the art for diabetics, so why not for people under blood thinner treatment? Really ask your doc about this possibility. Buen Camino, SY
The main blood thinner, anticoagulant, is known as warfarin/coumadin and is actually a rat poison and requires weekly or bi monthly lab visits to monitor blood levels. No finger stick monitoring :(. The other blood anticoagulants, do not require lab tests to monitor blood levels but all NSAIDS like Motrin can't be taken because they also effect blood coagulation.

From what I have been advised the anti inflamatory rubs are contraindicated as well but are not as much so as the ibprofan tablets. Again check with your doctor.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Certainly a question for your doctor as others with similar conditions and more knowledge than I have stated. I did read recently that all products containing Ibuprofen were being contraindicated for those with cardiac issues. I had been using it, but sparingly, for a muscular condition (from an over-reaching yoga asana). As for a bleeding issue, I wonder if the smaller sized Aspirin is still being used by some.

Aspirin is certainly NOT recommended for those taking blood thinners! SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Aspirin is certainly NOT recommended for those taking blood thinners! SY
I meant as a blood thinner; not in addition to blood thinners. It was one of those options from years ago. I just didn't know if it was still being used.

It is still used as a prevention to certain conditions like heart attacks/strokes/TIA etc. but not as a prevention for pulmonary embolism and the like (save rare cases). Sorry that I misunderstood you, I thought you meant Aspirin as a pain medication for those that take already warfarine. Glad that you didn't mean that as the accumulated blood thinning effect, affecting two different parts of the coagulation process, would be problematic.

Buen Camino, SY

It is still used as a prevention to certain conditions like heart attacks/strokes/TIA etc. but not as a prevention for pulmonary embolism and the like (save rare cases). Sorry that I misunderstood you, I thought you meant Aspirin as a pain medication for those that take already warfarine. Glad that you didn't mean that as the accumulated blood thinning effect, affecting two different parts of the coagulation process, would be problematic.

Buen Camino, SY
I totally appreciate your personal knowledge and experience Yates. Sometimes I know just enough to be dangerous! : > )

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Actually there is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INR_self-monitoring It is still very much in its infancy, but might be worth inquiring about for those that travel a lot. Buen Camino, SY
Diabetics can adjust their medications based on glucomiter readings. The same does not apply to warfarin. Being able to self monitor beats going to the lab several times a month, but you still have to see a physician right away to correct the warfarin blood levels and that does requires close monitoring by a lab. Sometimes hospitalization is required to adjust warfarin levels. You can't self adjust your dosage with this medication. Buen Camino

I think Wayfarer's protocol ia good - for anyone with medical issues it is sensible to have a medical history, including current nedications, translated into Spanish, accessible in an emergency situation. Warfarin is particularly tricky.

John, you are a stalwart pilgrim and I appreciate your enthusiasm to let nothing stop you as you return to the Camino. First, talk to your doctor about these issues. He will also have excellent ideas about alternative pain relievers. I am sure you will be able to obtain them from a Spanish pharmacy.

I have taken blood thinners in the past, but never had a need for them prior to walking in Spain, France, or anywhere else. They can be tricky medications should you diet change, which it will on Camino. This will have an impact on dosage. If you are determined to go, you may need to check into potential sites for blood work to confirm proper dosage.

Lastly, I cannot remember the name of some of the topical applications I have used, but got in a pharmacy in Spain. It was excellent, had no fragrance and worked well on my leg muscles.

I would be curious about your doctor's advice and look forward to hearing about it.

Buen Camino
Thank you ALL for responding to my question about blood thinners. My doctor told me nothing should prevent me from walking on my third Camino. He put me in touch with a "blood doctor" who will recommend other forms of relief from muscular pain than IBProfan. Each camino is so important for me and my parish, since much needed funds are raised to support outreach ministries to the poor and the refugee. I have been following this Forum for five years and have been helped,in countless ways, by your input and suggestions.
We all walk with some purpose or mission. I will pray for you and whatever draws you to the Camino. Believer it not, religious or not... We are all in this together. Peace. Frank

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
That is great news. I certainly had concerns based on my past experience that it would be a demanding process. However, your doctor has provided an excellent foundation to build upon for going on Camino without anything to worry about.
The Camino unites all that hear the call of the Camino to those who have walked for over a thousand years. I agree with you, we are in this together.

In 2014 I returned from walking the Camino. The last week ealking I developed a pain in my knee that made extended hours of walking impossible. I used the good ole Spainish Ibprofin and it helped me complete my walk. Fast forward a month and my sixth month cardiologist visit and blood work. I also take blood thinners and it seemed the combination led to me being severely anemic and was quickly advised to begin taking vitamin c and iron tablets and go see a Dr. The next Dr recommended the ever fun experienceof having camera shoved up and down me. Turns out I was bleeding in my colon and had what was described as vericose like veins that were bleeding about a tablespoon of blood per day. I felt fine and had no idea so now I rarely use Ibprofin and if I do it is only half dosage. Heed the Dr advice and walk on!

The primary class of pain relief medication to be avoided while on blood thinners is NSAIDs or Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory drugs, as they can cause gastric bleeds which would be higher risk on blood thinners.
You will need to check with your doctor because only they can advise safely to your individual needs.
Tramadol and Codeine are safe alternatives and if suitable are available from your doctor on prescription although both should be used PRN (as needed) because if they are taken as regular medication for more than a few days you might need your blood checked. This is just to confirm alternatives are available and not a recommendation without professional advice.
Please visit your doctor and then walk! Wishing you a buen camino...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
oh and a word of warning regarding pain relieving gels and creams....please ensure that they do not contain any NSAIDs such as diclofenac, for example Voltaren, as the active ingredient is absorbed into the system and reacts the same as oral medication so please be aware of that.

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Now it's done, and I'm showered, fed and generally numbed with alcohol, it was great. Fortunately, the weather was cool all day, the rain held off and the terrain was rolling countryside. But...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back