• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can we stay at Albergue's for days at a time?

ilovelife

I just want to confirm with people that have done the Camino that staying at albergues for several days is allowed.

For instance if I decide I want to take a couple of days to recuperate or if I stumble upon a beautiful part of Spain that I want to explore and bask in, will albergue's allow me to stay at their place as long as I pay them and space is available?... or is priority given to new pilgrims arriving the next day?

Thanks for the great feedback and advice on this site.

Noto.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Most albergues restrict stays to one night, though some private places may let you stay longer if beds are available. Best to plan on single night stays everywhere.

In most places, if you want to stay more than one night, you will need to rent a private room. If you are very sick, some hospitaleras will allow you to stay an extra night but in fairness to your fellow pilgrims, if you are contagious, a private room is a better choice.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I agree with the above responses. Also, in a large city such as Burgos where there is more than one albergue you may not be allowed just to move from one to the other. My walking partner on my last Camino Frances asked about this, and was told quite abruptly that 'these are not hotels'.

Private rooms (in albergues or hostals) can be a very reasonable alternative when shared between two or more people.

Buen Camino!

I agree with all that has been written so far. Consider also that if you stay more than one night in an albergue, you are still bound to their opening and closing hours. If you want, for example, explore the night-life of a bigger city like Leon, your best bet is a private room. SY

Albergues are for pilgrims, not tourists, stay in hotels or pensions etc, you are out of albergues by 8am

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ok. So a follow up question to the responses I've received...

Does every Albergue have private rooms?

And what kind of a price difference is there between private rooms and the regular Albergue rooms??

Thanks so much.

i don't recalled any municipal or parochial albergues have any so called private rooms. most of us stays in a dormitory type of room with anything from a double bunk with 4 beds to a hundred beds. the cost for the night varies from 5 euros to 12 euros. you may have to pay an extra 1 euro for bedding which consists of a disposable fitted sheet and a pillow.
on the other hand a private hostal (hostal particular or casa rural) will charge you anywhere from 25 euros up for a room with 2 beds. a single private room will set you back a minimum of 30 euros. it can get quite expensive. in big towns and cities like pamplona, logrono, burgos, leon, will cost you even more for a private room. a private room is convenient only in terms of cost if you share it with 2 to 3 other persons. then it is not really private unless you are family. as mentioned in previous post, there is a curfew in municipal or parochial albergues but not in private hostal.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.