• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carabiners

HelenvE

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (May to June 2014)
Camino Portuguese (2016)
I've noticed in a number of posts I've read that people refer to using carabiners for multiple purposes - hanging a pack off the bed post to keep it off the floor, hanging a mesh bag up in the shower to stop clothes getting wet and to keep valuables with you, hanging various things off back packs etc. I'm just wondering, if you are a user of carabiners, how many have you taken on your camino, and what did you use them for? I know this is a pretty minor question but they seem a pretty handy little gadget that could have lots of uses and I imagine that some people have found lots of ways to be creative with them.
Gracias.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I imagine that some people have found lots of ways to be creative with them.
Gracias.

I prefer the little accessory 'biners which are lighter than the 1000 kg rated climbing type. I will agree though that in the creative use department, the real carabiners work well for opening beer bottles!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I usually take a number of the small carabiners hanging about on my pack, etc. Really handy for hanging hat, food sack, water, and/or anything else you want to get out of your hand.

BTW...I copied the walking stick set-up on the Osprey packs on my old Gregory pack. Worked like a wonder and was very easy to do. Great way to keep your poles handy and accessible when not using them.

I use a size 0 S-Biner double-gated carabiner fom Nite-Ize to attach my swiss army knife to a lanyard. It's secure from lose yet easily detachable for use. I find the S-Biner more versatile than the traditional light weight aluminum carabiners.

Another useful option is the Grimloc. It's like a plastic karabiner but it also has a bar on the gate to attach it on to webbing. I've never used them but am told they are very useful.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I carry 2. Not only on the Camino but on my regular hikes. I use them from hooking my wife´s and my backpacks when putting them in luggage space on a coach to hanging a rubbish bag from my backpack till I pass a rubbish bin. There are plenty of usages for them.

Buen Camino!

I use a size 0 S-Biner double-gated carabiner fom Nite-Ize to attach my swiss army knife to a lanyard. It's secure from lose yet easily detachable for use. I find the S-Biner more versatile than the traditional light weight aluminum carabiners.

I love the S-biners best too. I always carry a small assortment in my tool ditty (along with some safety pins, superglue, duct tape, hotel sewing kit and a length of reflective cord/spare bootlace.)
Bigger ones suspend my pack or other bags off the ground.
I attach my sandals to the outside of my pack with S-biners, as well as my lucky evil-eye.
I always carry a microfiber washcloth (or a bandanna) when I hike, clipped to my beltloop with a S-biner. Always available for face-washing, or cooling off the back of my neck, or a lap-napkin when picnicking......
shopping

Here's a cool one that's also a bottle openner!

shopping

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, just returned from a 34 day Camino and to say the least it was incredible. One way and perhaps the only way to describe it: It's like giving birth and then the joy of giving birth. Yes, at times it was that intense for me.

About the carabiners: These were one of those "just in case" items so, I hooked a few to my backpack and after struggling to reach for my water bottle (solo traveler), I hooked a carabiner onto the strap of my front faceing fanny pack then hooked my water bottle which then hung at my right side. I thank God for this brilliant idea, not only did I gain easy access, I also took the extra weight off my back.

I vote "yes" for the carabiner.

One to hang my large stainless mug from. Had a mugful at every fountain. At least until some swine nicked it in Leon.
Regds
Gerard

Like Wayfarer - most importantly to keep Tilley Hat attached to pack or bike and to me when it's a windy day! A large one to keep my crocs on the bike. A little one with a lip salve on it, one to keep my Onya bag on (for shopping!) a couple spare to hang dog food up in a tree, to hold a sun-shade, to clip the tent to when i'm trying to dry it on a windy day or to hang a Devonshire pixie from if someone's done me a good turn...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back