• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Castilblanco to Almadén de la Plata - any good advices?

AWalkabout

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2011, VdlP 2015+2017, Podiensis 2019
Hi,
I'm a litte nervous about the long distance between Castilblanco and Almadén, since it seems that no water will be available during the 30 km. We'll do the Via de la Plata in the beginning of May, so most likely the temperature will be quite high.
The combination of high temperature, long distance, no water ressources and newly started camino - that makes me a little nervous.
We need to carry a lot of water, but how did you manage to do this stage?
Any good advices will be appreciated. Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you really are concerned about this stage, many pilgrims take a cab to the park which is about half to 2/3rds of the way to Almaden de la Plata. The walk from there is manageable, the park is beautiful, and you avoid the many hours of walking on the paved highway.

Hi bswell what is the cost of the cab and where can you find one?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sorry, I can't help you there. I walked the whole stage and only later found out several pilgrims had used a cab. I'd ask the hospitalero if he can help and, if not, ask around the albergue. My sense was that it was not that unusual for some pilgrims to use a cab.

That said, I doubt there will be stifling heat in May and the route can be done carrying a light lunch or snack and at least 2 liters of water. But save a quick source of sugar for the hill into Amaden de la Plata . It's a tough climb after a long day and you'll need the energy. Been Camino.

I find it would be a pity to skip parts of the camino just for convenience (like people who find the meseta boring and skip that part of the pilgrimage). The Camino is not done to measure and to taste of everyone, every part is demanding in different ways; you may find long stages, long, flat barren landscapes for miles and miles (like in Tierra de Barros, between Villafranca and Torremejía) without a fountain or a town to cross. Steep climbs like the one on this stage, or, even steeper, when you leave Cañaveral. Every part has its charm, do not be afraid, you can make it!

Do not be afraid of this day, it is a perfectly feasible stage, it can be long indeed, but if you carry 2 or 3 liters you should manage. I would also recommend to have a strong breakfast, bring some fruit with you, and leave extra early in the morning (even at night time), the tarmac/road walk is not that bad at all, there is virtually no traffic,

Also, you can always ask for help from other pilgrims if you are short of water or energy.

Indeed, la cuesta del Calvario, the steep (and actually quite short) hill at the end of the stage can be a bit demanding, just make sure you start climbing very slowly, and before you realize you will be on the top enjoying magnificient views.

Go on, you can make it!

I find it would be a pity to skip parts of the camino just for convenience (like people who find the meseta boring and skip that part of the pilgrimage). The Camino is not done to measure and to taste of everyone, every part is demanding in different ways; you may find long stages, long, flat barren landscapes for miles and miles (like in Tierra de Barros, between Villafranca and Torremejía) without a fountain or a town to cross. Steep climbs like the one on this stage, or, even steeper, when you leave Cañaveral. Every part has its charm, do not be afraid, you can make it!

Do not be afraid of this day, it is a perfectly feasible stage, it can be long indeed, but if you carry 2 or 3 liters you should manage. I would also recommend to have a strong breakfast, bring some fruit with you, and leave extra early in the morning (even at night time), the tarmac/road walk is not that bad at all, there is virtually no traffic,

Also, you can always ask for help from other pilgrims if you are short of water or energy.

Indeed, la cuesta del Calvario, the steep (and actually quite short) hill at the end of the stage can be a bit demanding, just make sure you start climbing very slowly, and before you realize you will be on the top enjoying magnificient views.

Go on, you can make it!
I agree with this. The Meseta has a beautiful austerity to it and I would not have missed it out. Challenging? yes, but so is life and you can't miss the bad bits out of that, you have to get on with it and if you conquer these moments you become all the stronger.I didn't like the cobbles on the Camino Portuguese but they had to be dealt with. I will be walking the VdlP from the 16 April and have to arrive in Santiago de C by 23 May. Two years ago I rupture a left quad and it has played up ever since. I don't want to go via the CF on the VdelP but take the variant over the hills, simply because I know I will not be back and it is anew challenge. Before I get there I know it's going to hurt, I know I will be wishing I took the easy way out, and I know I will be feeling everyone of my 68 years, but I also know that when I get the job done the sense of achievement will be immense. So, take Amino's advice and go for it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The combination of high temperature, long distance, no water ressources and newly started camino - that makes me a little nervous.

There's no real problem with water, as there's a decent fountain near the entrance to the Parque Natural los Berrocales, roughly half way through the day, so you can refill there, and further on the walk takes you alongside a decent stream. I was a bit nervous about this stage before my first camino, but it's really fine, especially in the eucalyptus groves in the park. And the view back over Andalucía (and forward to Almadén and a very well-earned lunch) once you've slogged up the steep Cerro del Calvario, is one of the (many) highlights of the 1000km, or it was for me.

For the following day, I recommend staying at the complejo Leo motorway service station about 8km short of Monasterio: it's almost exactly half way between Almadén de la Plata and Fuente de Cantos, very comfortable, decent menú del día, about €30 for a room with bath, wifi etc. Wouldn't normally touch a motorway service station, but this one's fine.

Hi,
I'm a litte nervous about the long distance between Castilblanco and Almadén, since it seems that no water will be available during the 30 km. We'll do the Via de la Plata in the beginning of May, so most likely the temperature will be quite high.
Just about everyone gets a taxi to the start of the Parque. Don't worry about cheating, because it would be sheer folly to do the part of the route from the gate of the Parque to Almadén in midday temperatures. There is no water available. If your Spanish isn't up to phoning for a taxi ask the hospitalero to do it. Best book it the previous night as taxis get busy early morning.

In 2012 our pension arranged transport for 5 of us to the Park and I heard from pilgrims in the Albergue that someone had come around the night before to ask who wanted taxis for the morning .Very common to get transport on that leg.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am very sad to hear it is very common to use taxis to skip the parts that you think you might not like so much. I found it quite enjoyable on an early morning, no traffic at all, good stable tarmac, beautiful landscape and the sun breaking the morning mist among the cork oak trees... BEAUTIFUL! That will explain why despite leaving at night time, the albergue in Almadén was so full on my arrival.

I cannot help but seeing it like the little boy who does not like peas and carrots and puts them aside on the plate, sorry!

The camino, I find, should not be made to measure to your taste, you have to learn to deal with all the things that you might think you would not like; you might be surprised to enjoy that stretch of the Camino!

I am very sad to hear it is very common to use taxis to skip the parts that you think you might not like so much.
I cannot help but seeing it like the little boy who does not like peas and carrots and puts them aside on the plate, sorry!

You think like a pilgrim, Amancio.
The others think of the Camino like of a visit to Disneyland.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola. I've walked this stage twice - one of these in the height of summer. Sure it is long but apart from the final ascent there are no taxing elevations. For me the trick is to drink as much as I can tolerate when setting off and then to carry 3 litres minimum. Of course that adds weight but it soon reduces as you go along. Go for it!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You think like a pilgrim, Amancio.
The others think of the Camino like of a visit to Disneyland.

haha! well, not quite so much as Disneyland (rather just a nice walk), but I just find it very unfortunate, people who find it normal to take taxis do not have a grasp of what they might be missing, they are bringing their daily routine approach to the Camino, and I find they are missing a very important part: change everything.

I myself find it hard to disconnect from the everyday mentality when I go back to the Camino, I struggle against myself, but I know it takes at least one week or even longer to find the inner pace and peace of mind to really unwind, and that involves everything:

amazing landscapes
dull urban crossings
long desolate stretches
hot days
very cold days
rain, mud, wind, snow
excitement and ecstasy, then two days of absolute boredom
tiredness and euphoria
depression and elation
stupid/negative thoughts
feeling powerful
feeling miserable
etc...

all that is part of the camino for me, it is not a pizza that you order where you only put the ingredients you want: no steep hills, no long stretches, no tarmac, no urban crossings, no flat landscapes, taxis available... that is not for me!

leave at first light. Carry 3 litres and you'll be fine. I went in July and didn't meet anyone who took a taxi to the parquet.That said there weren't that many people.The road to the parquet is really quiet. I think I was passed by a dozen vehicles tops

Johnnie.....that is 3 kilos of water weight added to whatever else you are carrying..but than again you are a person from Scotland.:cool:

Hmmm we don't get too many high temperatures in Scotland. I carry between 5 - 6 kgs without water but including rucksack. I expect to add considerable weight on long stretches but as I said the weight goes down as you consume it!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hmmm we don't get too many high temperatures in Scotland. I carry between 5 - 6 kgs without water but including rucksack. I expect to add considerable weight on long stretches but as I said the weight goes down as you consume it!

Actually John, I meant that persons from Scotland are very macho and can easily carry an extra 3 kg. :)

The weight that ye carry in water is compensated by what you don't carry in clothes. Everything dries in 30 mins so no need for excess baggage.

Taking the taxi if your limitations is a wise move. This leg, especially during the first few days of their camino, is too long for some people. I readily admit that I took a bus to Almadén to avoid thieves since I was traveling alone and the long distance I knew would be difficult for me. I felt "less than" when I did it but by the end of my camino, when I saw the serious injuries and hospitalizations from pushing too hard, I was glad I had listened to my body.

Today I got a notice from my hospitelero in Zafra that a pilgrim had died on the trail to Almadén on Sept 4. Distances that some consider doable can be a definite hazard for others. Walk your own camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
From El Correo de Andalucia

"English pilgrim dies in Almaden from heatstroke

The man, a British national and 70 years old, walked solo on the stage of Way of St. James between the Sevillian towns of Castilblanco de los Arroyos and Almaden

The autopsy performed on the body Englishman 70 years old who died when walked the stage of the Camino de Santiago that goes between the towns of Almaden and Castiblanco de los Arroyos has confirmed that his death was due to a heat stroke, according to Europa Press sources in the Ministry of Health.

The body of this Englishman was located at about 14.00 hours on Sunday, in the Sierra North of Sevilla, having spent the previous night in a hostel Castiblanco de los Arroyos, from Europa Press sources in the Civil Guard and Emergency service 112.

According to these same sources, it was a person who called at 14.00 hours on Sunday to alert 112 that he had found near Almaden de la Plata a man who was bad and who could have suffered heatstroke, since he had no food or water....."

And the next day from ABC de Sevilla

"Civil Guard officers involved in Monday morning in the Natural Park of the Sierra Norte de Sevilla to assist a couple of pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago in the stretch of Castilblanco de los Arroyos to Almaden

According to confirmed sources known to ABC de Sevilla, the elderly couple asked for the assistance of the Civil Guard a few kilometres from the stage finish in Almaden due to symptoms of fatigue accumulated. The officers went to the scene and transferred the two persons concerned to Almaden de la Plata.

The pair of pilgrims said no to health care, so that the intervention was limited to aid on this stretch of the Camino de Santiago along the Via de la Plata.

Heatstroke
During the day on Monday in the province of Sevilla remains active level orange alert for high temperatures, a situation that was decisive on Sunday in the heatstroke suffered by a pilgrim of English origin and 71 years old who lost his life in this part of the route that links Seville and Santiago de Compostela"

Horrible to hear about the death of a pilgrim along this stretch - or anywhere for that matter.

One must know one's own limitations. I have walked this stretch three times, twice in the heat of the summer but 1) I know I can walk long stages 2) I do well in the heat and 3) I always carry 2-3 liters of water.

There is no right or wrong answer but I disagree with the poster that said "everyone skips this part". In my three times walking this stage (2011, 2014, 2016) no one took a cab.

Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
... In my three times walking this stage (2011, 2014, 2016) no one took a cab. Buen Camino.

I did this spring *blushes* I took a cab/taxi to the beginning of the park and I don't regret it ... Buen Camino, SY

Terribly sad. This simply reinforces the need for special care when there are weather alerts. The long stretch to the park isn't taxing - but any stage which is unshaded in strong sun and high temperatures needs care. I often see pilgrims walking without a hat which in these current conditions is dangerous. Water, hat, sunscreen, rehydration solution - all essential imho.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have walked the Via de la Plata 3 times and yes this is a very long stage. All I can offer is start early, take heaps of rest breaks, listen to your body and drinks lots of water. Above all be safe. Such a shame that a peregrine died on the camino. May he rest in peace.

Most read last week in this forum

One reason for me choosing the VDLP is to avoid the constant stress of the bed race on the busier routes. Alas I haven’t escaped it. Literally every bed (that I’m able to contact) is full from...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...
(Live on the Camino, but I don't know how to post with that tag) The Camino Sanabres winds through small stone villages and along vast green pastures rimmed in stone walls. Sometimes you walk on...
Be careful when you organise a transfer from the Arca de Caparra (Via’s emblem) to one of the three hotels in Jarilla. The guide books we are using state that you will be picked up at ARCA DE...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back