• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cell phone/SIM card

Jersey

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2017
I take back everything I ever posted about putting a Spanish SIM in my extra unlocked phone.
I'm now going to take 1 phone. My regular USA phone along with my normal plan.
For emergencies I'll pay the $1.79 per minute, $0.50 per text rate.
( 0.05 to receive texts )
For everyone else I need to talk or text with I will wait till I have a wi-fi connection and use Whatapp

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I take back everything I ever posted about putting a Spanish SIM in my extra unlocked phone.
For everyone else I need to talk or text with I will wait till I have a wi-fi connection and use Whatapp

What changed your mind? :)

I put a Spanish Orange SIM card in my phone. 10 euros for 1 GB of data which was all I needed for email and Whatsapp. It was wonderful having it and I supplemented it with wifi in bars and albergues. Perfect.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have t-mobile and it works great. Unlimited text and data with 20 cents a min for a call. This is the same for all of Europe and Mexico. Haven't tried any other countries yet. Having a wi-fi phone helps also.

I loved having my SIM card so I could check weather and booking.com on the trail. Also used google maps to find where I was staying at the end of the day. Now would I have done that if I'd had to carry a second phone? Maybe not. That's why I don't do locked phones.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I loved having my SIM card so I could check weather and booking.com on the trail. Also used google maps to find where I was staying at the end of the day. Now would I have done that if I'd had to carry a second phone? Maybe not. That's why I don't do locked phones.
OK so you brought 1 one phone & switched to a Spanish SIM card?
Did that change your phone number? Did you lose any of your Apps?
Actually I will be bringing two phones to Spain & leaving the extra one at my friends place in Madrid. I do plan on putting a Spainish SIM card in it when I finish my Camino. ( I'll be in Spain another month after my Camino )

I have t-mobile and it works great. Unlimited text and data with 20 cents a min for a call. This is the same for all of Europe and Mexico. Haven't tried any other countries yet. Having a wi-fi phone helps also.
That's a great plan. I wish Verizon offered it.
Unfortunately I've had some friends who have had too many bad experiences ( dropped & lost calls ) with T-Mobile in my part of the USA ( North New Jersey )

Actually I will be bringing two phones to Spain & leaving the extra one at my friends place in Madrid. I do plan on putting a Spainish SIM card in it when I finish my Camino. ( I'll be in Spain another month after my Camino )

With the Spanish SIM came a Spanish phone number which I did not use except for the people I knew or met on the Camino to whom I gave the number. My US number no longer worked because the ATT SIM was put away with my few American $ not to resurface until I was on the plane traveling home.

My apps were fine All useable. Totally unaffected. My text messages came through from friends at home because I have iMessage linked to my email as well as to my US phone number. The only difference in my data usage and that of my friends who did not get a SIM card was that I could use my phone normally at any time and they had to wait for wifi.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When you put another SIM card in your phone then you have the number that is of this new SIM card. But the apps are stored in your internal phone memory/external data (SD) card of your phone and you can use them regardless of the SIM card in your phone. So you can change the SIM cards as many times as you wish for different purposes.

The other option is if you have Dual SIM smart phone. That's really easy, don't have to change them just switch between them ;)

Last edited:
We also used T-Mobile. We live in Idaho so coverage is sketchy everywhere outside a population center for almost all mobile coverage. Our phone makes WiFi calls and we got free data/texts. Spent very little on calls because we could make WiFi calls. We paid less than $5 total for calls the entire Camino as we did not need to make many calls between stops for Cafe con Leche, etc.

Best thing I put in my phone was a Spanish sim it was brilliant 20 euros lasted three months I still have it in while in Spain and a good contact for local services you made need. It takes about 30 seconds to fit your normal one if needed or just get a dual sim phone.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Nailed it perfect I did the same Jersey and am still in Madrid using it

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Switching SIM cards is like switching license plates on your car, you get a new Spanish number, all your apps, contacts are stored on the phone itself, I tape my US SIM card and SIM removal tool (paper clip for iPhone) to the back of an id card so I don't lose it. I switch back to my US SIM on the way home.
All of Verizon's LTE smartphones are unlocked for use with foreign SIM cards.
http://www.verizon.com/about/consumer-safety/device-unlocking-policy

How does one unlock an ATT phone si that it can use a Spanish SIM?

With AT&T, the phone has to be paid off in full before they will grant your unlock request.

That's why I don't do locked phones.

I don't do locked phones either, I refuse to pay an activation fees when getting a new phone, and any way you slice it, you're paying full price of the phone.
I figured out in 2009 how unlocked phones worked and how the American public has been getting ripped off for years.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don't do locked phones either, I refuse to pay an activation fees when getting a new phone, and any way you slice it, you're paying full price of the phone.
I figured out in 2009 how unlocked phones worked and how the American public has been getting ripped off for years.
I get the gist of what you are saying but to say we are getting ripped of is going a little overboard. We have more technology in these phones than the American astronauts had going to the moon. Where we might agree is what these companies offer us on trade ins. They are robbing us.
At the ripe old age of 56 I'm the patriarch of the family. By my rules no one trades in there old phone when there contract is up & they get a new phone. It is put on the side in case anyone in the family loses or damages there phone and needs a replacement phone. So far my 16 year old granddaughter has been bailed out twice and my son once.
With all that I still have two extra iPhones 5's sitting in the closet lol

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You can also purchase an inexpensive unlocked, dual SIM phone on Amazon. I got a BLU phone for around $50. I had access to my US number and my Spanish number. You may not have access to all your apps. Whatever you do, add +1 to all your US numbers (no impact on dialing here) and +34 for Spanish numbers. Obviously add the correct country code after the +. Good luck, having a local number is very helpful I found.

Just to clarity about local SIM cards, please. I am bringing my Samsung 6 from New Zealand. I fly in and out from Paris and will be there for about a week in total needing to confirm accommodation etc. Presumably, I need a different SIM for France and Spain? Any recommendations where to get these and other advice? I don't want an unexpected bills from Spark in NZ. Thanks

€83,-
Just to clarity about local SIM cards, please. I am bringing my Samsung 6 from New Zealand. I fly in and out from Paris and will be there for about a week in total needing to confirm accommodation etc. Presumably, I need a different SIM for France and Spain? Any recommendations where to get these and other advice? I don't want an unexpected bills from Spark in NZ. Thanks
Changes in EU rules about roaming charges came into effect earlier this year. If you buy a SIM from a French company you can use it in Spain at exactly the same rates as you would pay to use it in France - and vice versa. No additional fees. There are some "fair use" limits on the amount of data you can use while roaming in another country but the cap limit is generally pretty generous and unlikely to affect someone who makes average use of their phone and does most of their heavy data traffic through the wifi which is widely available along the caminos.

Changes in EU rules about roaming charges came into effect earlier this year. If you buy a SIM from a French company you can use it in Spain at exactly the same rates as you would pay to use it in France - and vice versa. No additional fees. There are some "fair use" limits on the amount of data you can use while roaming in another country but the cap limit is generally pretty generous and unlikely to affect someone who makes average use of their phone and does most of their heavy data traffic through the wifi which is widely available along the caminos.
Thank you for that clarification. That makes it easier. Would I pick up a prepaid SIM at CdG airport somewhere?

Thank you for that clarification. That makes it easier. Would I pick up a prepaid SIM at CdG airport somewhere?
I do not know the answer but I'm sure someone else will. Buying a prepaid SIM in France is not as straightforward as in the UK though. The last time I did so you had to provide ID and register it in your name. As you are arriving at an international airport you will presumably have the documents to hand though :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
FNAC shops throughout CDG terminals 1 and 2 offer many electronic gadgets as well as sim cards.

For example at -
CDG Terminal 2A
Porte 3795716

HORAIRES D'OUVERTURE
Lundi : 07:00 - 22:15
Mardi : 07:00 - 22:15
Mercredi : 07:00 - 22:15
Jeudi : 07:00 - 22:15
Vendredi : 07:00 - 22:15
Samedi : 07:00 - 22:15
Dimanche : 07:00 - 22:15

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back