• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CF - UK school summer holidays

davejsy

Walked the Camino Francés for SSD UK 2023
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2023 sept/Oct
Primitivo July 2024
Hi all,
Just how busy is it potentially likely to be if you choose to walk the CF at this time? Realistically last two weeks of July and whole of August. I'm considering taking my godson, and logistically this is the only time we could get long enough to do it (at least until he finishes school!).
👣

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
How’s your godson with heat? Apart from the heat in the afternoon and early evening I can’t think of another impediment. The spring season rush of international pilgrims from St Jean will have got to Santiago or faded from the trail. The native Spanish traffic kicks off from Sarria and yet there are many ways to walk the Way in comfortable traffic.

How old is the subject? The wants and needs of pre-teens, teenagers and “can I buy you a drink God- Dad?” are much apart

How’s your godson with heat? Apart from the heat in the afternoon and early evening I can’t think of another impediment. The spring season rush of international pilgrims from St Jean will have got to Santiago or faded from the trail. The native Spanish traffic kicks off from Sarria and yet there are many ways to walk the Way in comfortable traffic.

How old is the subject? The wants and needs of pre-teens, teenagers and “can I buy you a drink God- Dad?” are much apart
He will be nearly 15 by that time, he's been dragged up and down mountains in NW Spain with me for the past couple of years, so physically he should be fine.
The heat is one thing I'm not that keen on, but this would be our only window of opportunity in the near term.
We could potentially look at a shorter alternative such as the Primativo which would be amazing, but I think they CF for my GS would be an amazing experience at his age, something that would stay with him forever.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I coped far better with the heat of central Spain as a 15/16 year old than I can possibly do now. In my late 30’s I switched to winter season walking for most routes apart from the ones with really big sticky-up bits where snow might be an issue.

IMO your godson will be fine, watch yourself - stay hydrated and don’t try to keep up 😉

If you want a quieter route switch to the Invierno or the Konig from Ponferrada

The Spanish student groups start in July and families walk in August, but these are mainly from Sarria to Santiago. He should be fine and may meet some young people.

Hi all,
Just how busy is it potentially likely to be if you choose to walk the CF at this time? Realistically last two weeks of July and whole of August. I'm considering taking my godson, and logistically this is the only time we could get long enough to do it (at least until he finishes school!).
👣
I walked with my son in July/August on the CF (it was a similar situation). I booked the first couple of days before we set out and then it wasn't busy enough to cause concern until we got into Galicia. When we arrived in Triacastela there was plenty of room for us, but the first three albergues I tried has been completely booked in advance. So, at that point I started to book a day or two in advance. It wasn't hard because by that time I knew how far our bodies liked us to walk each day. For us, getting up and on the road early each morning was important - not to secure beds but to avoid as much as possible walking during the heat of the day.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful cafĂ© con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back