• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Chalk Up Another Small Favor Granted by Santiago

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Was in Leon a place I do not like-not the walk in certainly not the walk out, I find the cathedral far too overwhelming I do love San Isodoro. So, I bolted. Hopped a bus for Zamora, 60 k to the south on the Via de la Plata- a living museum for my favorite Romanesque churches, some 14 here!!! Strolled down to see the bridge also Romanesque and walked the Camino back to the center of town. Passing Chapel Santa Lucia stopped to read the explanation. 12 th century closed for several centuries but here was the Jewish Quarter! Nothing left after 500 years of course but of the 4 or 5 ways to climb back into town , Santiago revealed something very moving for this pilgrim. Another of many many debts which I owe him.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for this, I am now planning to take the detour next year. Are you returning to Leon to continue or staying on the Via de la Plata?

Was in Leon a place I do not like-not the walk in certainly not the walk out, I find the cathedral far too overwhelming I do love San Isodoro. So, I bolted. Hopped a bus for Zamora, 60 k to the south on the Via de la Plata- a living museum for my favorite Romanesque churches, some 14 here!!! Strolled down to see the bridge also Romanesque and walked the Camino back to the center of town. Passing Chapel Santa Lucia stopped to read the explanation. 12 th century closed for several centuries but here was the Jewish Quarter! Nothing left after 500 years of course but of the 4 or 5 ways to climb back into town , Santiago revealed something very moving for this pilgrim. Another of many many debts which I owe him.

For you, Scruffy, this was the right thing, but perhaps not for everyone. I loved Leon. Bussed in and then took a short bus just out about 5 km and began the walk again. But I did love the cathedral, much more than the one in Burgos. Burgos Cathedral is beautiful on the outside, but inside is a completely overwhelming hodgepodge in my mind. Leon's church was breathtaking. So though Scruffy decided Leon was not his cup of tea, I'd urge walkers not to dismiss Leon out of hand. Try it . . . in September, they have a month-long Organ festival, and I attended two beautiful (and free) concerts there in 2013. This year I walked the Norte, so I missed Leon, but if I were to travel to Spain again, Leon would be one of my favorite cities to visit, along with Barcelona and Seville. So you other walkers might try it . . . I do admit walking in and out of big cities, through their industrial areas, is really a pain. On the Norte, we skipped those areas of Bilbao, Gijon, and Santander.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I agree with Woodswomen Leon was one of our favorite stops on the Camino. In fact we discussed coming back and spending a week enjoying the city. As always the walk in and out of big cities aren't the most scenic. But I would hate to see someone pass up a visit to Leon. We did slog out of Leon (suffering with my first blisters) to Villavante 35K and stayed at the best night on the Camino at Molina Golachas (Private old mill house with river running under it). Scruffy thanks for the memory.

I agree with scruffy. Will never do that walk into Leon again or indeed out of it. Leon was not the city for us. Walked for a few hours out of the city and then hopped on a bus to hospital de origba. From then on-- bliss. Previously we have taken the alternative route after Leon which was nice but if anyone asked advice re having a limited amount of time to walk the Camino, I would advise against the section in and out of Leon. The via de la plata was indeed lovely with lovely cities. Only our opinion!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Hi, scruffy, I LOVE Zamora. The tourist office told me that there were 23 romanesque churches in town, not a piddling 14 :)

I hope you made it to the church of Santiago de los Caballeros. It´s not the fanciest of the romanesque beauties, but for me it's the most amazing. El Cid is reputed to have prayed here. It is a bit outside the walls so many people miss it. Buen camino, Laurie

It's a pilgrimage. You walk the ugly parts, you walk the hills, you walk the pretty parts. Otherwise, it's sight-seeing. Which in itself is not a bad thing...
Yes I agree and respect that for the pilgrims but we don't walk as pilgrims ,just love the Camino France's . Not sure why! Closet pilgrims pilgrims perhaps!! That's why we stay in hostels and not take up a pilgrims bed now. Best wishes annette

I stayed with the Sister's in Leon in that HUGE alburgue. They let me stay two nights because I hobbled in with some nasty blisters on my heels. I love, love, love staying with the various religious orders. It is incredible to me how some of the people are just so committed to pilgrims and providing respite along the way. It just blows my mind!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just to clarify earlier post, unlike Scruffy I enjoyed the walk into Leon, found it to be a welcoming city with friendly people (my experience in Burgos was quite the opposite but that might have been because I was very tired. Like Woodswoman, I loved the cathedral in Leon and will walk to the city again on my second Camino in 2016, but the chance to visit Zamora would be a wonderful opportunity. As I don't have holidays (and haven't done for many years - too much work, animals to feed & too little money) I think I am permitted to stray off the path for a few hours and still be considered to be on pilgrimage and not a sightseer. If I were a Catholic rather than an Anglican, I would my offer my glad willingness to walk for days again through the horizontal rain of Galicia (and discovering once more that the manufacturers had lied when they advertised their boots as waterproof) as penance for my brief worldly pleasures.

Hi, scruffy, I LOVE Zamora. The tourist office told me that there were 23 romanesque churches in town, not a piddling 14 :)

I hope you made it to the church of Santiago de los Caballeros. It´s not the fanciest of the romanesque beauties, but for me it's the most amazing. El Cid is reputed to have prayed here. It is a bit outside the walls so many people miss it. Buen camino, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It's a pilgrimage. You walk the ugly parts, you walk the hills, you walk the pretty parts. Otherwise, it's sight-seeing. Which in itself is not a bad thing...

Agreed!!! For me, I can't stand the idea of unnecessarily riding in a wheeled vehicle once I start the Camino. But that's just me, and I'm not making any judgments on anyone else.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.