A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Changing Socks (or just airing them out)

Camino Badges

Yumadons

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (Aug 1, 2019)
Question: Instead of changing socks, is it enough to take them off over a long break (lunch?), shake out the sand, and turn them inside out and let dry? This is what I've been doing on my practice walks at ~90+F (32+C). I'll be walking the CF in Aug/Sept. I wear 2 socks on my right foot (smaller than left) so a complete sock change would require 6 socks every day. I'd have to carry 6 pairs of socks assuming I could get them dry every single night. All Smartwool phD Minisocks.

Last edited:

Robo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(Apr/May 2018)
VdlP (2020)
Yes, airing works well if the weather is good.
I find the important thing is to get them dry. (they get sweaty)

I carry spare socks and alternate them through the day.
I wear think inner socks and thick outer socks.
So 8 socks in all.

If the weather is good, the ones I take off are pinned to my pack to dry out.

Extra socks are not heavy, but your feet will love them. ;);)

Three Caminos and no blisters yet..........

Lifeisgood

Camino(s) past & future
Walked the Camino Frances in September/October 2018 (St Jean Pied de Port - Finisterra)
Hey there :) Okay, where does this "change socks" idea come from? Haven't heard about it to be honest. What you will see on many packing lists is that people are taking 2 - 3 pairs of socks on the Camino. I myself had 2 thinner pairs of socks for hiking (also used Smartwool but their hiking socks, they are awesome!) and 1 pair of thicker wool socks to wear at night (I walked in Sep/Oct thus it got much colder in the evening plus warmth helps with aching foot muscles). You have good socks there, they will dry over night if you air them out/wash them. Also, I often put the second pair on the outside of my backpack over the day to dry fast in the sun. Long talk: Take only 2 sets of socks, you will be fine :)

Another trick some people have sworn about to prevent blisters: Wear thin nylon socks underneath your hiking socks so to lessen any friction.

Leibniz

Peregrina
Camino(s) past & future
Frances from Astorga (2018)
Frances/Invierno from SJPP (2019)
Yes go for just airing if it works for you. Depending on when you walk though...in the winter months they might not dry very fast, and you really want them to be dry before you put them back on as it’s the moisture that will cause problems.

tomnorth

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances: September 24 - October 31 (2015); Fall (2020) I hope
I change socks, hanging the old pairs (I wear a liner pair and a regular pair) from the back of my pack with safety pins to dry out. Airing them out wouldn’t dry them out. I also reapply petroleum jelly when I change socks.

Chris Gi

Camino(s) past & future
Did April through June 2018 from Pamplona to Santiago. 2020 May or end of September.
Question: Instead of changing socks, is it enough to take them off over a long break (lunch?), shake out the sand, and turn them inside out and let dry? This is what I've been doing on my practice walks at ~90+F (32+C). I'll be walking the CF in Aug/Sept. I wear 2 socks on my right foot (smaller than left) so a complete sock change would require 6 socks every day. I'd have to carry 6 pairs of socks assuming I could get them dry every single night. All Smartwool phD Minisocks.
I have done that many times. I guess it works if you don’t have really sweaty, stinky feet. I turn the socks inside out, give them a good rub and shake but put them back on the correct way.

Yumadons

Camino(s) past & future
Good deal, thanks everyone for the feedback. I figured wet was the enemy. 👿

easygoing

Camino Sharon
Camino(s) past & future
I have walked the Camino Francis 7 times, twice in 2017 and 2018. (2019)
Most important to blister prevention is letting your sweaty feet dry. As already stated, turn your socks inside out and place them in the sun or under your shirt if necessary due to rain. When ready to go wear the same socks. I wear double layer Wrightsocks that dry quickly and wear the same socks every day. Not one blister over 7 caminos.
I do carry a total of two pairs of socks for the occasional evening that I would rather be drinking vino tinto instead of doing laundry.

Ahhhs

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP to Santiago, May 2015
Porto to Santiago, April 2016
Muxia-Finisterre-Santiago, April 2016
Camino Del Norte, April 2017
Just to throw in another opinion as we all have different socks, shoes, and feet. 😎 I don’t change out my socks until I arrive at my stop for the evening. The only time I take my shoes off during the day is if I feel a hot spot that needs attention (which doesn’t happen very often). I usually hike in May (I’m on the Camino now) so summer months may be different. I have however taken my shoes off to dip my feet in a steam a few times. Quite refreshing!

Buen Camino

Yumadons

Camino(s) past & future
I have however taken my shoes off to dip my feet in a steam a few times. Quite refreshing!

Buen Camino
That's my plan if my posterior tibial tendon acts up. *Hydrotherapy* fixes all :)

dougfitz

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Spain: Mar 2010, Apr 2012, May/Jun 2016. Norway/Sweden: 2012, 2018. Other: 2011
Just remember to rotate your socks. Started out on the left foot; re-wear it on the right foot and contrariwise.

This may not actually benefit your feet but it will keep you in the moment ;)
For those of us who wear asymmetric socks, swapping is achieved by first turning the sock inside out, and then wearing the reversed sock on the opposite foot.

Island

Camino(s) past & future
CP (2019)
Florida Trail
Appalachain Trail
If you're going to air your socks, go ahead and do some foot maintenance! For me that's drying, airing and applying glide.

NorthernLight

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
Sometimes I change socks, sometimes I just air them (and my feet) and put them back on. Damp socks get attached to the pack to dry as I walk.

Weather permitting, I do this every couple hours.

5 caminos, no blisters.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 3.9%
  • April

Votes: 159 15.3%
  • May

Votes: 259 24.9%