• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Charles de Gaulle to SJPP

BobMcCall

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
My flight from Philadelphia is scheduled to get into CDG airport at 10:30 am on 9/14/23. I currently have a flight scheduled to take off from CDG at 12:35 to Biarritz. I was then planning on taking a taxi to SJDPP. I am concerned that two hours is not enough time for me to catch the flight to Biarritz. I may have to exit through immigration and return through security.

As a fall back position I’m thinking about getting train tickets from Gare Montparness to SJPDP. There is one train that leaves at 1211 which gets in at 618 pm and one at 14:05 which gets in at 743pm.

Questions
1) do you think two hours is enough time to catch the flight?
2) I don’t know how long it will take to get a taxi to Gare Montparness. Would you recommend the 14:05 train?

Thx!
Bob

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
This year I took an Uber from CDG to my hotel near Gare Montparnasse. I just looked at my Uber account, and that trip too 58 minutes.

Is the flight to Biarritz on a separate ticket, or did you buy the complete itinerary at the same time from the airline or reputable agent? If it's all one one ticket you are much better off, and the airline will get you to Biarritz. With separate tickets I have no idea if you can make it.

BTW, if it's on the same ticket don't skip that flight if it's part of a round trip ticket because any subsequent flights will be cancelled if you skip it.

Last edited:
The train might be a little faster, but from doing train, taxi, and RoissyBus (Opera ->Montparnasse), please count on about one hour to get from CDG to Gare Montparnasse, whichever way you travel. A little faster or a little slower depending on traffic, time of day, etc. I'd probably feel a little more comfortable going for the flight if you're set on a 12-ish departure, since you won't have to leave CDG for downtown Paris. But if you are flexible it comes down to what feels best. It's nice to arrive in SJPP in time for dinner. Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This year I took an Uber from CDG to my hotel near Gare Montparnasse. I just looked at my Uber account, and that trip too 58 minutes.

Is the flight to Biarritz on a separate ticket, or did you buy the complete itinerary at the same time from the airline or reputable agent? If it's all one one ticket you are much better off, and the airline will get you to Biarritz. With separate tickets I have no idea if you can make it.

BTW, if it's on the same ticket don't skip that flight if it's part of a round trip ticket because any subsequent flights will be cancelled if you skip it.
My flights are two separate tickets with two different airlines. To save time I’m hoping to be able to bring my pack as carry on so I don’t have to go to baggage claim as well.

If it was me, I wouldn't risk it. If anything goes wrong, you might not make your connection to the plane or the train. Might be really stressful. I would want at least a 4 or 5-hour buffer to make a connection from an international flight.

Maybe if I was sure I wasn't leaving security for the plane. Or maybe the 1405 Biarritz train and perhaps go to SJPP the next morning?

But I tend to be cautious about these things.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We fly into Frankfurt or Munich and then Madrid and I try to allow a minimum of 2 hours. However longer layovers of 3+ hours, I am liable to fall asleep from jet lag in the airport. I have flown through CDG and our flight to Biarritz was the next morning with an overnight Paris at an airport hotel. Have also flown into Reykjavik for transfers and the passport control was less than 1 hour to change planes and we made it with time to spare and found ourselves waiting for the flight on to Madrid. Have flown SAS into Scandinavia for the transfer and again very fast. If you haven't bought tickets, you might explore all options.

I would guess 2 hours would be enough time if you have no checked luggage. You will go through passport control and then on to your flight. In Frankfurt you don't leave the secure area.
Do you know if you need to leave security in Charles de Gaulle airport?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Bob
I'm not an expert but I have travelled in and out of CDG a few times. So I offer the information below. But, .if you can give yourself another day, you can take the pressure off by staying overnight in Biarritz or Bayonne and making your way to SJPP the next day, as @Stephan the Painter suggests. It's a short one hour train ride from Bayonne to SJPP.

Safe travels whatever you decide.

I am concerned that two hours is not enough time for me to catch the flight to Biarritz. I may have to exit through immigration and return through security.

In theory, you can make it in time for your flight to Biarritz. But it would require everything going quickly and smoothly in one of the world's busiest airports. That depends on a range of factors including how many flights arrive at the same time as yours. And whether you need to change terminals to take your flight to Biarritz. That can involve a long walk and sometimes a train shuttle. See info further down the page regarding terminals.

Back up plan. If it were me, I would have back up plan, as you've mentioned, and it would likely be the 14.05 from Montparnasse, rather than the 12.11 just to allow for delays. Or, even better, if you can take the train from CDG train station to Bayonne. There are often a few trains a day that don't require you to go into Paris Montparnasse.

One thing to note - there are Rugby World Cup matches in Bordeaux on 16 and 17 September. Trains going to/via Bordeaux in the days leading up to those matches will be heavily booked. So if you are going to book a train, I'd do it as soon as you can.

CDG Airport information

If the terminals are not shown on your tickets, this link will take you to a page where you can search which terminal you will arrive in and depart from. If you're lucky, you might be within the same terminal so that will be quicker. I've attached a simple map of the terminals.

The Easy CDG website gives information about Arrivals procedures. I've included the link below as well as an extract relevant to your situation, i.e. your flights are on separate tickets. My understanding is that will mean you need to go through passport control and security as if Paris were your final destination.

See this below from the Easy CDG website. It refers to your situation, i.e. separate tickets.

■ If you are travelling without an official flight connection (you bought two separate tickets for your flights and need to re-check at CDG)​

You may need to travel between terminals outside of the transit zone.
In that case, you should allow plenty of extra time to exit, collect your baggage from the carousel, re-check in with your airline and clear security.
Please ensure that you comply with entry & visa requirement.

Attachments

• Charles-de-Gaulle-Airport-Map-Paris-CDG-900x393.png
    Charles-de-Gaulle-Airport-Map-Paris-CDG-900x393.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 4
2 hours is simply not enough to do the two flights. Any delay at all well prevent you from making the connection. Believe me I experienced this and had to fly to Biarritz the next day. There is a train from the airport to Biarritz changing in Bordeaux that might work. I would buy a later 2nd flight from either easy jet or Vueling.

Hi Bob
I'm not an expert but I have travelled in and out of CDG a few times. So I offer the information below. But, .if you can give yourself another day, you can take the pressure off by staying overnight in Biarritz or Bayonne and making your way to SJPP the next day, as @Stephan the Painter suggests. It's a short one hour train ride from Bayonne to SJPP.

Safe travels whatever you decide.

In theory, you can make it in time for your flight to Biarritz. But it would require everything going quickly and smoothly in one of the world's busiest airports. That depends on a range of factors including how many flights arrive at the same time as yours. And whether you need to change terminals to take your flight to Biarritz. That can involve a long walk and sometimes a train shuttle. See info further down the page regarding terminals.

Back up plan. If it were me, I would have back up plan, as you've mentioned, and it would likely be the 14.05 from Montparnasse, rather than the 12.11 just to allow for delays. Or, even better, if you can take the train from CDG train station to Bayonne. There are often a few trains a day that don't require you to go into Paris Montparnasse.

One thing to note - there are Rugby World Cup matches in Bordeaux on 16 and 17 September. Trains going to/via Bordeaux in the days leading up to those matches will be heavily booked. So if you are going to book a train, I'd do it as soon as you can.

CDG Airport information

If the terminals are not shown on your tickets, this link will take you to a page where you can search which terminal you will arrive in and depart from. If you're lucky, you might be within the same terminal so that will be quicker. I've attached a simple map of the terminals.

The Easy CDG website gives information about Arrivals procedures. I've included the link below as well as an extract relevant to your situation, i.e. your flights are on separate tickets. My understanding is that will mean you need to go through passport control and security as if Paris were your final destination.

See this below from the Easy CDG website. It refers to your situation, i.e. separate tickets.

■ If you are travelling without an official flight connection (you bought two separate tickets for your flights and need to re-check at CDG)​

You may need to travel between terminals outside of the transit zone.
In that case, you should allow plenty of extra time to exit, collect your baggage from the carousel, re-check in with your airline and clear security.
Please ensure that you comply with entry & visa requirement.
I can’t thank you enough for spending the time in sending me such a detailed response!!! Thx!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Good morning, I think two hours is sufficient time to get on your plane to SJPP BUT
If you don't feel like two hours is enough to catch the plane, here is a very reliable method to get from CDG to Gare Montparnasse - avoid taxi and Uber. You need to factor the traffic and you may be stuck in the regular Parisian traffic so take RER.
It is RER Line B. You would get to Gare du Nord and then change the metro to get to Gare Montparnasse. The cost is 12 -15 euros and you will not get stuck in the traffic.
The metro is very well marked and the signs are logical. Paris speaks English in case you need help. You still have time to get on the Internet to view the map of the airport and metro (subway). You will safe time, money and will experience the accordionists playing on the metro.

As a fall back position I’m thinking about getting train tickets from Gare Montparness to SJPDP. There is one train that leaves at 1211 which gets in at 618 pm and one at 14:05 which gets in at 743pm.
I realize I made a mistake with my answer. I see that the trains goes all the way through to SJPP. I was assuming that you still had to take a cab or something from Bayonne or Biarritz.

The 1405 itinerary is what I would do, partially because I don't like to fly unnecessarily and enjoy trains.
But that extra couple of hours allows for a delayed flight or difficulties getting through immigration, etc.

You might have trouble getting dinner in SJPP, though. Maybe check with wherever you're staying that night. Lots of train changes and it would be nice if you had a flexible ticket in case something really went wrong....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My flight from Philadelphia is scheduled to get into CDG airport at 10:30 am on 9/14/23. I currently have a flight scheduled to take off from CDG at 12:35 to Biarritz. I was then planning on taking a taxi to SJDPP. I am concerned that two hours is not enough time for me to catch the flight to Biarritz. I may have to exit through immigration and return through security.

Questions
2) I don’t know how long it will take to get a taxi to Gare Montparness. Would you recommend the 14:05 train?

Thx!
Bob
Bob, my strong but kindly intended advice is do not buy a through ticket to StJdP. There’s a recent thread that exposes why not. The trains from Bayonne are frequently cancelled due to landslip, rainfall or Pierre’s tea-break. If that occurs for your pre-booked journey you’ll receive a message from SNCF advising that your voyage is cancelled. Buy a ticket to Bayonne. No booking is necessary thereon and if it’s Pierre’s tea-break SNCF will lay on a bus or a slightly later train.

I appreciate that you’re coming from a long way from here and that you’d like to get everything nailed down but if you nail it down to tight you’ll rule out any flex.
Buen Camino

Bob, I think @Tincatinker may have been referring to this comment I made on a recent thread:

I recommend booking your ticket from Paris to Bayonne, rather than all the way to SJPP. The reason is that if you book Paris to SJPP in the one booking, if the short train ride from Bayonne to SJPP is cancelled, as @Bradypus mentions, you may receive a message to say your whole trip has been cancelled, because it’s seen as one through journey. Others on the forum have had this happen.

You can book Bayonne to SJPP separately. It’s an hour’s journey and less than 10 euros. If it is cancelled there is almost always a replacement bus.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Bob, I think @Tincatinker may have been referring to this comment I made on a recent thread:

I recommend booking your ticket from Paris to Bayonne, rather than all the way to SJPP. The reason is that if you book Paris to SJPP in the one booking, if the short train ride from Bayonne to SJPP is cancelled, as @Bradypus mentions, you may receive a message to say your whole trip has been cancelled, because it’s seen as one through journey. Others on the forum have had this happen.

You can book Bayonne to SJPP separately. It’s an hour’s journey and less than 10 euros. If it is cancelled there is almost always a replacement bus.
Haha. I had already purchased my tickets direct to SJPP. First thing this morning I got a message informing me that the train was canceled. I immediately booked a train to Bayonne! Thx!

Questions

Thx!
Bob
I did this last week. I arrived a little earlier, but had plenty of time.
I went from Pittsburgh-Atlanta-CDG-Biarritz.
My bags were checked in Pittsburgh all the way through to Biarritz. I never had to take them through French customs. I did not have to pick them up in CDG and recheck them as I thought I would. They just went through to Biarritz.
You will have to go through French Immigration, but they just stamp your passport and move you through.
CDG terminal is confusing. The flights to Biarritz are small planes and leave from a separate terminal (I think it was 2F). You have to take a shuttle bus to get there.

From Biarritz to SJPP there is a shuttle service (Express Bourricot or something like that) that I used and it worked well.

Richard

Bob I am on the exact same flight schedule as you were and wondering if you could shed some light on the plane/train/bus Etc experience.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back