• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Checking pack into plane hold precautions

Anniew

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2017)
i would appreciate some tips to ensure no damage to my 35ltr Lowe Alpine ladies pack as I need to check into luggage because of my walking poles. They are expensive pacer poles and I cannot afford to get them taken

Would anyone suggest wrapping in cling film at airport if available? I am travelling Dublin to Biarritz with Ryanair this coming April

I am afraid some of the cords/ties might get caught in other stuff or luggage roll at or

Many thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi
I went from Gatwick and like you had my poles in my backpack. I had me bag wrapped in cling film and it worked perfectly, a bit expensive but when you consider the price of the poles then it's worth it.
I know that some people wrap the straps of the backpack to the back and cover it with the rain cover, but I was worried about that getting damaged.

Last edited:
I checked my Pacer Poles in the mesh bag they ship in and had no problems.

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've just found another thread here from 2012 with half a book on this same subject!! The upshot is that I am happy to pay to check my bag In With the poles to have peace of mind. I think I might get it cling film wrapped or a diy job maybe? Someone on the other thread mentioned putting the pack Into a black refuse sack secured with duct tape? Or maybe using cheap lightweight "knicker" elastic to secure straps

Hi, In 2015 I had my bag wrapped in the plastic wrap to fly from Glasgow to Paris and again when I flew back from Santiago -> Stanstead -> Glasgow. All fine. I have Pacer Poles too and dismantled them and they fitted in my pack nicely. I plan on doing the same this year.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One year I put my poles and small folding knife in my pack and had it professionally plastic wrapped at the airport. It arrived safely in Madrid, but after I picked it up at the luggage carousel I realized I had this clumsy, awkward lump to carry with no way of getting off the plastic! I rushed to the awaiting bus and spent the whole journey to downtown Madrid slowly peeling/picking off the plastic, leaving myself a huge pile of trash to carry off the bus!

Subsequent trips I've either put my pack in a garbage/rubbish bag or a light nylon duffel bag (which I then mailed on to Santiago with some travel clothes I brought for after the Camino).

I'm not planning to check my backpack on the way to Spain, but may on the way back. I will be checking a bag with my pre and post Camino clothing, which I plan to ship to Ivar in Santiago. I will put my poles in the checked bag. I have one of these bags from Ikea, which holds my backpack perfectly, which I can use if I want or am required to put my backpack in the hold.
ikea bag.JPG

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Annie
It appears that you have already had some good suggestions - but I thought I would just add one of my own. I also have a 35 Litre Low Alpine rucksack (macho guy version!) and was concerned about the possible damage during transit. I have invested in a Vango Globe Travel Cover (available in the UK via Amazon for £13.99 inc P&P). My rucksack fits easily into it and it seems to be made of relatively tough material with a good, sturdy handle and a strong zip. They are made to accommodate up to a 80 Litre rucksack - so adding poles should not be an issue. However, I did think that Trecile and Mark Lee had excellent ideas regarding alternative and inexpensive bags.
Buen Camino!

i would appreciate some tips to ensure no damage to my 35ltr Lowe Alpine ladies pack as I need to check into luggage because of my walking poles. They are expensive pacer poles and I cannot afford to get them taken

Would anyone suggest wrapping in cling film at airport if available? I am travelling Dublin to Biarritz with Ryanair this coming April

I am afraid some of the cords/ties might get caught in other stuff or luggage roll at or

Many thanks
How about a bag that is used for checking strollers? I found one at Target.com. It is called Gate Check made by JL Childress. It says it accommodates single and double strollers so it seems to me it should accommodate a backpack. I don't know if this would work for you if you are in Dublin...perhaps you could look for something similar?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back