• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Choosing a second Camino

Barobins

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés fall/winter 2019
Hi,
I walked the Camino Frances from Pamplona to Finisterre in Nov/Dec 2019. I am now looking into a Spring Camino. Must. Go. Back. I’d love to hear any opinions on the options that I am considering, or anything I have not considered.

What I liked, and what I did not like:
I loved the crazy weather and the amount of pilgrims on the CF in November! I loved walking for hours and only running into a handful of people. I can count on one hand how many times I stayed at a full alburgue. I like to walk about 25km a day (I found 30 to be hard on my joints). I liked not reserving anything (frankly I rarely knew where I would be more than 24 hours in advance).

That being said, the people I did meet were a very important part of my journey, and I would not want to be any more solitary than I was. I dealt well with my social anxiety and introverted personality and I’m excited to try that again.

Then again, I did not like the disrespectful behavior of some of the pilgrims. Speaking with many hospitaleros, I heard some stories that made me understand why some Spaniards living near the Camino do not like the pilgrims. Summer sounds rough to me. But hey, I live in a coastal CA town and I have a hard time with the tourists too!

I had a hard time with pavement, again, hard on the joints and feet.

Anyway, I am considering the CP from Lisbon, the CN/Primitivo, or repeating the CF.

It looks like March/April numbers compare to November numbers (people wise) on the CF?? I am also really interested in the plants, so Spring would be novel. But I was just there!

The Norte/Primitivo appeals to me the most, but could be too uncrowded? The same goes for walking from Lisbon. I also hear the ratio of pavement to dirt goes up on these two. I’m wondering what that means. Starting in Porto sounds like a good option, but I’d like a longer trip.

Are the locals less jaded on the Camino Norte? Does it attract less “party pilgrims”? I am 52, the 20-something crowd could sometimes be trying.

A lot of questions, but any input is welcome.

Thanks so much for reading
Barbara

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sounds like you would be a candidate for the Via de la Plata.

I'm in the same boat! I've done SJ to Finnisterre and Sarria to SdC. The Portuguese route, with the variant, was on my list, but I went to a talk and Via de la Plata started sounding pretty interesting.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Barobins. I walked the CF last northern spring and am walking the CP from Lisbon this year, starting at the end of March. I did not see many party walkers ( I don't consider them pilgrims) on the CF, however the few I did see were an aberration, not the norm. My understanding is the the CP from Lisbon is far less crowded until Porto, but even then not so much as the CF. It may be right for you.

I have done the VdlP, only from Salamanca and in September of last year. It was not at all busy then. The only pinch point was in Granja de Moreruelos where there are few accommodations and the Camino Levante merges with the VdlP/Sanabrés. I have also done the entire Camino Portugués and the section from Lisbon was all but deserted but for a handful of pilgrims. Yes, there is more pavement walking, on the cobblestones at that, but it is still a lovely walk! Either one would be great, and both are hot, as soon as early to late spring! As in all Caminos, the closer to SdC you get, the more throngs arrive. However, I didn't feel that the Sanabrés was as bad as others, and it is quite lovely after Granja! Happy decision making!

Hi,
I walked the Camino Frances from Pamplona to Finisterre in Nov/Dec 2019. I am now looking into a Spring Camino. Must. Go. Back. I’d love to hear any opinions on the options that I am considering, or anything I have not considered.

What I liked, and what I did not like:
I loved the crazy weather and the amount of pilgrims on the CF in November! I loved walking for hours and only running into a handful of people. I can count on one hand how many times I stayed at a full alburgue. I like to walk about 25km a day (I found 30 to be hard on my joints). I liked not reserving anything (frankly I rarely knew where I would be more than 24 hours in advance).

That being said, the people I did meet were a very important part of my journey, and I would not want to be any more solitary than I was. I dealt well with my social anxiety and introverted personality and I’m excited to try that again.

Then again, I did not like the disrespectful behavior of some of the pilgrims. Speaking with many hospitaleros, I heard some stories that made me understand why some Spaniards living near the Camino do not like the pilgrims. Summer sounds rough to me. But hey, I live in a coastal CA town and I have a hard time with the tourists too!

I had a hard time with pavement, again, hard on the joints and feet.

Anyway, I am considering the CP from Lisbon, the CN/Primitivo, or repeating the CF.

It looks like March/April numbers compare to November numbers (people wise) on the CF?? I am also really interested in the plants, so Spring would be novel. But I was just there!

The Norte/Primitivo appeals to me the most, but could be too uncrowded? The same goes for walking from Lisbon. I also hear the ratio of pavement to dirt goes up on these two. I’m wondering what that means. Starting in Porto sounds like a good option, but I’d like a longer trip.

Are the locals less jaded on the Camino Norte? Does it attract less “party pilgrims”? I am 52, the 20-something crowd could sometimes be trying.

A lot of questions, but any input is welcome.

Thanks so much for reading
Barbara
Have you considered the Chemin d'Arles and Camino Aragones? The number of pilgrims is small and you do have to do more planning than on the CF but it is stunningly beautiful and would be especially so in the spring. I did it in the fall of 2018 from Arles to Pointa la Reina. I will be volunteering at the monastery in Sarrance the last two weeks of April and then walking for a few days. I don't understand why this route isn't more well known.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Maybe the statistics of the pilgrim's office in Santiago can help you to make up your mind:

1581342973165.png
The 'green' years are the Holy Years. These are always busier than the 'pagan' years. 2021 is the next Holy Year. The Camino Portugues is, after the Frances, the busiest Camino, although the large numbers start in Porto and not in Lisbon.

If you don't like large crowds but don't want to be all alone, it seems to me that Via de la Plata, Del Norte or Primitivo are your best options. Look carefully at the possible stages of the Via de la Plata (daily distances can be longer than might suit you).

And, depending on when you want to walk, check if the albergues are open for the season.

You can use the planning tool on Godesalco.com:

Hope this helps.

I'd suggest starting from Porto, along the coastal for two days then inland, and north to Santiago and then out to Muxia thence Finisterre and back on the bus to Santiago. The landscape to Muxia and Finisterre is gorgeous. I understand walking out of Lisbon is tedious industrial and retail estates so started in Porto which was a lovely place.

I recommend the Camino Portugues. I walked it before during July-August. Did not see a single group of party peregrinos, and the age group of pilgrims was a mix. I imagine if you walk it during a less busy month there would be even less of a chance of encountering the at times rude and aggravating rowdy pilgrims.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Maybe the statistics of the pilgrim's office in Santiago can help you to make up your mind:

View attachment 69511
The 'green' years are the Holy Years. These are always busier than the 'pagan' years. 2021 is the next Holy Year. The Camino Portugues is, after the Frances, the busiest Camino, although the large numbers start in Porto and not in Lisbon.

If you don't like large crowds but don't want to be all alone, it seems to me that Via de la Plata, Del Norte or Primitivo are your best options. Look carefully at the possible stages of the Via de la Plata (daily distances can be longer than might suit you).

And, depending on when you want to walk, check if the albergues are open for the season.

You can use the planning tool on Godesalco.com:

Hope this helps.
Thanks so much for this!

Have you considered the Chemin d'Arles and Camino Aragones? The number of pilgrims is small and you do have to do more planning than on the CF but it is stunningly beautiful and would be especially so in the spring. I did it in the fall of 2018 from Arles to Pointa la Reina. I will be volunteering at the monastery in Sarrance the last two weeks of April and then walking for a few days. I don't understand why this route isn't more well known.
I’ll check it out! I’m definitely interested

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.