• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Choosing Sandals

Mamama13

Time of past OR future Camino
Future (Sept 2019)
Trying to choose my alternative pair of shoes. Have it narrowed down to Keen Arroyo II and Keen Newport Eco. Both waterproof. Difference of Newport 2oz lighter but Arroyo has move aggressive sole. Any experience with these two shoes? Traveling Sept 1st-Oct 10th

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
Hi @Mamama13 I used Arroyo IIs as my primary footwear a couple of years ago going from St Jean to Finisterre and comfort wise they were perfect from my first step.

The issues I did have were the bungee type laces which weren't terribly durable. I realised after a couple of 100kms of walking pre Camino they probably wouldn't last so I contacted Keen and they sent me a spare set free of charge. I also wasn't delighted about the durability of the uppers where the neoprene lining was pretty worn out by the end of my Camino. Having said that I'm heavy and tend to be pretty hard on my footwear so your experience may differ.

For me it was worth a slightly shorter lifespan for out of the box comfort and a blister free Camino.

Hope this helps.

Rob.

Edit following @shazpisting I can confirm that the holes in the Arroyos are sufficiently small that pebbles weren't an issue.

Last edited:
Hello - Iā€™m the UK and tried the Newport and Clearwater. I opted for the latter as I found the Newport very chunky looking on my feet. I never walked in these on the Camino though, they were only for end of day footcare, and were fabulous for that. They would be too likely to cause blisters and also ridk damage from grit entering through the gaps. Its a personal thing of course, but overall they were great for evening comfort and an airier feel than boots. Buen Camino. šŸ˜Š

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi @Mamama13 I used Arroyo IIs as my primary footwear a couple of years ago going from St Jean to Finisterre and comfort wise they were perfect from my first step.

The issues I did have were the bungee type laces which weren't terribly durable. I realised after a couple of 100kms of walking pre Camino they probably wouldn't last so I contacted Keen and they sent me a spare set free of charge. I also wasn't delighted about the durability of the uppers where the neoprene lining was pretty worn out by the end of my Camino. Having said that I'm heavy and tend to be pretty hard on my footwear so your experience may differ.

For me it was worth a slightly shorter lifespan for out of the box comfort and a blister free Camino.

Hope this helps.

Rob.

Edit following @shazpisting I can confirm that the holes in the Arroyos are sufficiently small that pebbles weren't an issue.
Thanks thatā€™s helpful. Iā€™ve read a few reviews stating issues with the bungee. Good to know Keen was responsive.

Hello - Iā€™m the UK and tried the Newport and Clearwater. I opted for the latter as I found the Newport very chunky looking on my feet. I never walked in these on the Camino though, they were only for end of day footcare, and were fabulous for that. They would be too likely to cause blisters and also ridk damage from grit entering through the gaps. Its a personal thing of course, but overall they were great for evening comfort and an airier feel than boots. Buen Camino. šŸ˜Š
Thanks they look comfy too!

My sandals are in my profile picture. Iā€™m on my fifth pair in 9 years. I live in them. Only snag, the odd stone gets in them. They are Keen too.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Walked 5 times with keen,s, first Camino in August 2013 with hiking boots and lined socks nearly killed my feet were like chewed ham lost skin completly of both heels and three toe nailsšŸ˜­.
Thank God for keens.

Yikes! Yes, my feet are like Keen so far. Just not certain which sandals would best serve me on the Camino.

My sandals are in my profile picture. Iā€™m on my fifth pair in 9 years. I live in them. Only snag, the odd stone gets in them. They are Keen too.
Yes, kinda of concerned with rocks getting into the Newportā€™s

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, kinda of concerned with rocks getting into the Newportā€™s
Easy to slip off and brush out pebbles wear good socks and they will not seem as bad.

Choosing sandals is a very personal thing as most folks feet, and your needs are unique. You are describing hiking sandals, especially designed to be worn, while hiking, in place of shoes or boots.

I have owned my Keen Arroyo II's for five years. I just, yesterday in fact, ordered a replacement pair as the heel is wearing through, my gait is affected, and the resoling cost is almost the same as the replacement cost. I ordered the same size and color. With boots the resoling cost makes more sense. But with these sandals, IMHO, it was better to just replace and recycle...

I suggest, as others have noted, removing the elastic laces outright and replacing them with a proper, round hiking shoe lace. The elastic laces are fine for casual wear. However, wearing them while hiking with a loaded rucksack is looking for an accident in my view.

In my experience the elastic laces do not stay properly snugged. You cannot easily tighten them to adjust how your foot rides in the "shoe," Also, laces can be used for a myriad of emergency uses. The elastic ties cannot be used for most anything else. However, I did repurpose the, as top flap "tie downs" on my Osprey rucksack.

My experience was that these laces allowed my feet to slide all over. This defeats the purpose of having snug fitting footwear to provide support and comfort to your feet under load and stress.

The lacing system aside, the Keen Arroyo II hiking sandals are about perfect in my view.

Of course, I replaced the factory insoles outright. Currently, I am using Dr. Scholl's gel insoles, the model intended for someone who is on their feet ALL DAY. I also recommend these.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
A newer option is Chacoā€™s Odyssey. Lightweight, good sole, supportive, water tolerant

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Trying to choose my alternative pair of shoes. Have it narrowed down to Keen Arroyo II and Keen Newport Eco. Both waterproof. Difference of Newport 2oz lighter but Arroyo has move aggressive sole. Any experience with these two shoes? Traveling Sept 1st-Oct 10th
Both my wife and I walked just under 1000km including the Primitivo, in Keen CNX sandels with socks and had not foot issues
Admittedly we had no rain

These are all good quality hiking sandals. But I prefer to have a heel counter, the back bit, to protect my heels. As I said, this is highly personal and foot unique.

Both my wife and I walked just under 1000km including the Primitivo, in Keen CNX sandels with socks and had not foot issues
Admittedly we had no rain
Walking in the rain is when you really benefit from wearing sandals instead of shoes. While the other pilgrims are stuffing their shoes and boots hoping that they will be dry for the next day you simply put your sandals on the shelf and know that they will be ready to go in the morning.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
I replaced the factory insoles outright. Currently, I am using Dr. Scholl's gel insoles, the model intended for someone who is on their feet ALL DAY. I also recommend these.

Hope this helps.
Hi Tom
Leaving Oz tomorrow. Just now bought the gel insoles you recommended - It will be a ā€˜try them in spainā€™ due to lateness of purchase. If they donā€™t work for me ., Iā€™ll put the insoles back that came with shoes. Note : walking Vdlp and trying trail shoes this time. Iā€™ve tested (and bought ) numerous types etc but am heading out with my trusty Brooks Ghosts 11

Iā€™ll let you know what I think further along
Annie

You should be fine. Just remember to NOT wear them through airport security. Gel insoles may be a problem.

For me, weighing some 115 Kg, these gel insoles are like walking on a soft mat. I found that, if I take them out of the shoes after wearing, they provide a more cushioned feel when i put them back in.

Bringing the factory insoles for alternative use is a great idea.

In fact, Davebugg brings them to put in his shoes / boots each evening. He allows his day walking insoles to dry and air thoroughly, and uses the factory insoles for apres-walking wear. He does this in place of bringing a second pair of sports sandals...it does save more weight... Just sayin...

Have a great time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
Ok @t2andreo
I guess ā€˜afterā€™ flying to Spain wasnā€™t the best time to read your message about NOT wearing through airport security. They did scan my ankle at one security check plus the works ! They say itā€™s random selection.......?
So can report they didnā€™t ask me to take my shoes off.
They seem to like me so far (the insoles)...Iā€™ve been doing a bit of walking around Sevilla.
Annie

I got a pair in Pamplona. I shipped my hiking boots back to the States and walked in them all the way to Santiago. They are still in good enough shape to take back to CdeN this year Had no blisters.

Attachments

• Sandles.jpg
    Sandles.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 38
The photo appears to be of Keen Arroyo II hiking sandals. Is that correct? My new pair came yesterday. I already switched the quick tie laces with normal laces, and swapped the insoles out.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I can never get them to work right. After I removed them, I knotted them to make an 'insect' toy for my cat. She loves it...

That said, I can still re-fit the Bubble Laces if I choose to.

The photo appears to be of Keen Arroyo II hiking sandals. Is that correct? My new pair came yesterday. I already switched the quick tie laces with normal laces, and swapped the insoles out.
I don't know. The name may be under the mole skin I attached. May I ask why you switched the quick tie with normal laces? Also why did you swap the insoles out, and how?

Has anyone ever used Hyperlite Mountain Gear 2400 Windrider Pack? I bought one mainly because it is waterproof and very light. If there is anything seriously wrong, I can still return and get Eja 48. Any feedback on Eja 48?

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first pair of Keen Arroyo II sandals had quick-tie laces like these that were always loosening on me. When I tie my boot or shoe laces, I do not want to have to adjust them. Using regular laces allows me better tension control.

For casual wear and use, the quick lace thing works fine. But for more arduous wear, I hold that regular laces will work better.

Also, using a regular lace, allows me to vary the lacing pattern to provide even better support to my upper foot. Check out "How to Tie Hiking Boot Laces" on You Tube.

I use 36 inch long, round work boot laces, made of the same high quality polyester as most other boot / shoe laces. I found them in brown, so they match the sandals nicely.

It really comes down to personal preference.

Hope this helps. The sandals are spectacular though.

These are all good quality hiking sandals. But I prefer to have a heel counter, the back bit, to protect my heels. As I said, this is highly personal and foot unique.
Very personal. I can't wear shoes with a raised heel counter because it sets off Achilles tendinitis, which is why I like many of the trail shoes and sandals.

Hope this helps.

Rob.

Iā€™m wearing my Keen Arroyo II sandals as I read this thread. They are new and do not have the stretchy bungee laces. They are solid core, rounded and not stretchy at all.

Perhaps Keen were listening. 15012474-65EC-427D-BBA3-EEBF3B5EE9A2.jpeg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Iā€™m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use whatā€™s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Iā€™ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which Iā€™m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.