• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Christmas Camino

Angus137

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
I recently asked the Forum the question of which European route might have most amenities open over Christmas and New Year and the answer came back the Camino Portuguese – therefore may I sense-check my plan. I have bought John Brierley’s guide 22/23.

My plan is to fly to Porto on Saturday 16th December and on 17th take the train south to Coimbra and walk the Camino Central to Santiago with the bonus of the Variante Espiritual route from Pontevedra via Vilanova arriving in SdC maybe 16 days later on Wednesday 3rd January 2024

My request is for any advice, I suppose mostly with regard to hostels as I wonder whether I should take a bivvy bag in case there are few hostels open. Might I struggle as I don’t speak Portuguese.

I would be grateful for a good recommendation for a lightweight bivvy

As always now I have made my decision I am very excited

Thank you

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My request is for any advice, I suppose mostly with regard to hostels as I wonder whether I should take a bivvy bag in case there are few hostels open.

I would be grateful for a good recommendation for a lightweight bivvy

I walked the Camino Portugues in January/February a few years ago. Enough albergues or hostals open for me but I can happily walk a 30+km day when necessary. I do not think that bivvying will be essential for you. But I can understand having it as an option or plan B. Do you have experience using a bivvy bag elsewhere? It can be quite cold on the Portugues in winter: I slipped a little on frosty ground a couple of times. I have bivvied elsewhere including the Via de la Plata in sub-zero temperatures. The key points are to have a good insulation mat (I like a compact self-inflating cut foam mat like the Vango Trek Pro) and a warm sleeping bag. That does add significant weight and bulk to your pack. I use an Alpkit Hunka XL bivvy bag which I find an excellent piece of kit.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Expect and plan ahead for accommodation, restaurant, and store closures on the holidays (Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Years Day), but little in the way of crowds.

I won't worry about the bivy for the CP unless you are used to using and really trying tobreduce costs. But definitely worth ringing ahead to make sure places are open especially around Christmas and New Year - a few words in Portuguese are helpful but english is common. And have an emergency fund that if an albergue is closed you can take a taxi or stay in a private room. Unlike some of the more remote caminos like the Via de la Plata the CP goes through numerous towns and villages with buses, trains and taxis. But definitely worth carrying extra food. Personally I think the CP is a great winter camino

I’ve never did the Camino Português, so I don’t know about hostels and albergues. But I lived in Lisbon for 5 years and I know from personal experience finding something open on Christmas Day was always a challenge. Christmas is a big deal for the Portuguese and it’s considered a family day. I believe hotels and hostels will be open of course, but on Christmas Day most shops and restaurants will be closed, except for the ones that are offering special menus (in which case I recommend booking early - two weeks before may be not enough time). Even grocery stores are closed, although some open only for a short period in the morning, and Taxis may be difficult to find.
My advice would be booking ahead all you can on the actual festive days just to be safe.
If you need help with Portuguese translation to make bookings feel free to send me a message, I’ll be happy to help.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back