• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Christmas on the Baztan/CF

Time of past OR future Camino
CF July 2018
VDLP April 2019
I will commence the Baztan on December 21st and head for Pamplona - I’m prepared for the problems I could face with this plan but look forward to the challenge(s) and a bus to the CF is a nice fallback should any problems be too troublesome - is anybody else considering this route in December? 🤓 BC to all 🤝

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I will commence the Baztan on December 21st and head for Pamplona - I’m prepared for the problems I could face with this plan but look forward to the challenge(s) and a bus to the CF is a nice fallback should any problems be too troublesome - is anybody else considering this route in December? 🤓 BC to all 🤝
Not considering it - this year. But let us know how it goes. I did it in autumn some years back. Jealous!
I’m in Lecce making my way to Santa Maria di Leuca just now😀.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
First of all enjoy ..although I plan to do the camino again shortly I not fixed a date , but looking into wild camping on the route for the first time .. hope you come across others doing it .

Warning!!! All the hostels are closed in winter on the Baztan from Bayonne to Pamplona.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi
I have walked the Baztan twice and it’s one of my favorites. When I was walking last May we were always able to find lodging but more often than not we were the only occupants. I am an enthusiastic wild camper but my walking partner was not.
I am thinking that in December there would be parts of this route that could resemble winter mountaineering more than a pilgrimage.
This will be fun if you’re equipped for and comfortable with winter weather and occasional steep icy slopes and are prepared and equipped to sleep out in the snow.
I like your back-up plan if you can really decide to bail out too early. The alternative, bailing too late, can end up with you being featured in some entertaining newspaper coverage that you won’t have an opportunity to read.
Thanks. I’ve had a very pleasant evening just thinking about what it would be like to walk the Baztan in December.

Best of luck, Gary

PS-I hope to start Barcelona to Santiago in early March.

Hi
I have walked the Baztan twice and it’s one of my favorites. When I was walking last May we were always able to find lodging but more often than not we were the only occupants. I am an enthusiastic wild camper but my walking partner was not.
I am thinking that in December there would be parts of this route that could resemble winter mountaineering more than a pilgrimage.
This will be fun if you’re equipped for and comfortable with winter weather and occasional steep icy slopes and are prepared and equipped to sleep out in the snow.
I like your back-up plan if you can really decide to bail out too early. The alternative, bailing too late, can end up with you being featured in some entertaining newspaper coverage that you won’t have an opportunity to read.
Thanks. I’ve had a very pleasant evening just thinking about what it would be like to walk the Baztan in December.

Best of luck, Gary

PS-I hope to start Barcelona to Santiago in early March.
Cheers Gary, I appreciate the input and I’m glad you’ve been able to reminisce. It looks like a beautiful Camino. I have friends in Bayonne who I shall be staying with who are year round hikers. We’ll assess the weather situation and accommodation options before departure and if it’s looking dicey then it’ll be a hop to SJPDP 👍🏻 I’m happy with either outcome 🙃

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back