• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2009

Ajda,

Very moving and heartfelt!

You have a true understanding of the Way as it moves you toward Santiago.

I would believe that you will experience all you desire.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello everyone,

I have been thinking about the Camino for several years and this May I will be coming over to Europe with my girlfriend to walk the Camino Frances.
We're flying into Paris May 27th and will either start in Saint Jean or Roncesvalles.
We plan on walking the entire route and will be leaving SDC to fly to Morocco where our trip will continue! We are very excited to meet other pilgrims on our walk, and I am so happy that this forum exists for us!

Tim

Javier Martin said:
Hi, Marius, welcome to the forum.
25-30 € each should be enough ... not for both.
Buen Camino, enjoy it.
Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

...Not for both of us?
Well, if the average aubergues fee is about 6 euro (X 2 = 12 euro), because some of them are "donativo" (even if we pay...), can't we expect to spend about 10 euro/each for food/daily? Water is free (fountains), we don't smoke, we don't drink (uhh, sometimes), we carry on medication with us (and travel insurance), we don't eat at restaurants, so...???

If this talking is open, may I ask... people who travelled before on the Camino...
- how much cost an average bread?
- ...an average 100 gr tablet of chocolate (or a chocolate bar)?
- ...fruits (apples, bananas, oranges etc?
- ...meat?
- ...an average pizza?
- ...a dinner in a refugee?
- ...a yogurt?
etc... etc...

Thanks a lot!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
hi everyone yes will attempt to finish this July starting from where I left off in Burgos..any suggestions on a Hostal..was not very impressed with the one in the park
n

Rocknroll said:
...Not for both of us?
Well, if the average aubergues fee is about 6 euro (X 2 = 12 euro), because some of them are "donativo" (even if we pay...), can't we expect to spend about 10 euro/each for food/daily? Water is free (fountains), we don't smoke, we don't drink (uhh, sometimes), we carry on medication with us (and travel insurance), we don't eat at restaurants, so...???

If this talking is open, may I ask... people who travelled before on the Camino...
- ...meat?
- ...an average pizza?
- ...a yogurt?
etc... etc...

Thanks a lot!

Hola!
I'm not the right person for answer your question, because i dont know about this thing.
I just want to say this. My parents walk Camino 2 years ago. I'm going to walk my camino this year.
So i have many questions. And they say to me, that they spend for all stuff in Camino (flying ticket, bus to SJPDP, food,albergos...) 1000€ for one. So, together they spend around 2000€.
But they sometimes eat in restaurant (pelegrino menu), so they can spend less money.

And i planning to spend 1000€ for all of things.
But 25€ for both isn't really much of money.

Just my opinion. About experience would tell others.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Arn said:
Ajda,

Very moving and heartfelt!

You have a true understanding of the Way as it moves you toward Santiago.

I would believe that you will experience all you desire.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Thanks Arn.

Every day brings another fear in my heart. So... i'll be very happy when i'll come to Camino. Then i'll stop thinking about the worst scenaruims :roll: :wink:

Ajda,

The important part of your statement is that you ARE thinking...the Camino isn't to be afraid of...but rather respected!

All will fall into place for you as you trod the Way.

Buen think positive thoughts Camino,
Arn

A selection of Camino Jewellery
To: TheycallmeTim,
We did the same trip as you are planning to do. We flew into Paris, caught the TGV to St Jean Pied de Port , walked the Camino then flew to Morocco via Barcelona. As we are from Australia we wanted to maximise our time away. The trip to Morocco was wonderful but the Camino was life changing.
Enjoy your journey
Sharon

2008 costs on the Camino

There are very few albergues from Roncesvalles to Galicia that charge under 9 euro.
Breakfast - about 3 euro: Lunch - about 5 euro: Dinner - about 10 euro:
Water – €1 – €1.50
Coke – €2
Vending machine cans – 90c to €1
Vending machine bottle – €1.20 - €1.50
Chocolate bar like mars, kit-kat etc - 45-70c
White wine small glass – €1.50 euro
Red wine small glass – €1.20 Large glass €2

You can find some more costs on my blog:
http://amawalker.blogspot.com/2008/09/c ... amino.html

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Rocknroll said:
Javier Martin said:
Hi, Marius, welcome to the forum.
25-30 € each should be enough ... not for both.
Buen Camino, enjoy it.
Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

...Not for both of us?

- ...meat?
- ...an average pizza?
- ...a yogurt?
etc... etc...

Thanks a lot!

Should be enough? May be!

But depending on how do you walk and make your meals.

In my opinion you have to take breakfast, lunch and dinner. If you buy some bread and ham, cheese, etc, you can take breakfast in the morning, but without coffee or tea (may be you can take it in the albergue). Depending on how big is you breakfast you can just take a little lunch, waiting for dinner, but at least is good to take one "menu del peregrino" a day. It use to cost (minimum) ten euros each.

Is not easy to live the Camino with just 25-30 euros for both, and sometimes you will find any expensive albergues (Navarra is much expensive than Galicia). Sometimes you will be with any other pilgrims and you will talk about having a drink, or an special meal. And don't forget that Spain is famous because it's fantastic gastronomy, that changes in almost every different town.

The Camino is said to cost about 1€/km each pilgrim.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have been reading this forum from the fringes, now it is almost time to climb on the airplane and head for Paris. On April 1 my 3 friends and I start from Cahors. We have 2 months to get to Santiago. I expect we will have to jump a few sections in order to get to Santiago before the end of May. My question is, will we have problems finding places to sleep during Easter?
Thanks to all who have asked and answered questions it has been most helpful.

Joan

Joan - there is a spike in numbers on Spaniards on the Camino during Holy Week and Easter - you may be suprised at how many people you see then don't see on the route! I'd plan/time my arrivals accordingly and have some details of hostales as a back up.

Buen Camino

John

wellswalker said:
I have been reading this forum from the fringes, now it is almost time to climb on the airplane and head for Paris. On April 1 my 3 friends and I start from Cahors. We have 2 months to get to Santiago. I expect we will have to jump a few sections in order to get to Santiago before the end of May. My question is, will we have problems finding places to sleep during Easter?
Thanks to all who have asked and answered questions it has been most helpful.

Joan

I agree with Johhnie Walker, we use to invade the paths on weekends and of course, during this period, because weather is better than two weeks before, and because everybody is on holidays here.

Be patient, is only a few days.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
ameyer5 said:
Hi! My name's Amanda. I'm planning to do the Camino Frances starting around July 3, 2009. I'm going with another friend of mine. Anyone else going around that time?

Hey Jersey Girl...where???

Wish to God I could go then...but life will not allow it at the moment. Which is not to say I am not planning my next go around! I'm thinking perhaps next year...probably closer to fall!

Wishing you the very best of all in your planning and your walking! You've definitely stumbled to the best place I know of for information and support. Keep surfing the site and you will get darn near everything you need...

Looking forward to hearing how you do,

Buen Camino, Karin also a Jersey Girl!!
Camino Portugeuse...2008

I am setting off from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on April 25th or 26th (I have not yet arranged to get from Madrid to St Jean). I will try to walk straight through to Santiago in 30 days. Hope to make new friends along the way!

CDNWALKER
Delta, B.C., Canada

Hi CDN - welcome to the forum. You have an exciting plan. You may very well be an experienced walker - if not you will be by the end of your pilgrimage! But forgive some unsolicited advice: although your ambition is to walk the Camino Frances in 30 days you would be well advised to start with shorter stages to build up stamina, expereince and let your feet etc get used to it. Better that than blisters, tendonitis etc.

Buen Camino

John

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Your best bet is to get a bus to Pamplona and then take Caroline's Express Burricot from Pamplona to St Jean. She lifts people every morning and afternoon from the bus station in Pamplona. Send her an email to reserve a seat. apcaroline@hotmail.com
30 days is doable but it is a bit of a slog! I agree with Johnnie - start off slowly, take it easy the first 7 - 10 days and then make up for lost miles when you reach the Meseta.
You can plan your walk (from Roncesvalles) on http://www.godesalco.com/plan - it will give you an idea of milage between towns.
Good luck!

* Report this post

Re: Class of 2009

New postby theycallmetim on 18 Feb 2009, 06:44
Hello everyone,
theycallmetim said
I have been thinking about the Camino for several years and this May I will be coming over to Europe with my girlfriend to walk the Camino Frances.
We're flying into Paris May 27th and will either start in Saint Jean or Roncesvalles.

Hi Tim,
My opinion for what it's worth: although there is no 'correct" place to start the camino from, I strongly recommend that you start in SJPP and walk the Napolean Route over the top if you have the time. It is such a glorious way to start the camino with outstandingly beautiful views all along the way.

If you happen to arrive at SJPP mid or late day you have several options. 1. you can stay at an albergue, hostel or hotel in SJPP or you can put a few kilometers on your boots and stop at one of two private albergues part way up the hill 2. Huntto- at about 5km or so or 3. Orisson - at about 8 km or so. But at that time of the year you will need a reservation, especially for Orisson which is the furthest up the hill. You can reserve online and if you're thinking about it I would do it now because they book up early. You can do it online at http://www.refuge-orisson.com/. At any rate, you can stop at the pilgrims' office in SJPP and they'll phone up for you. Those first few kilometers don't sound like much but they frequently feel like the hardest part of the journey especially if you're jetlagged or haven't walked for a few days!

Whatever you choose to do you will undoubtedly meet another 20 or so pilgrims who are also starting at that time and you may remember your evening meal around the table with them as a wonderful start to your journey.
Buen camino
cecelia

Hi everyone doing the Camino this 2009...I went as far as Burgos last year and plan on starting from there in July..I go a bad chest cold last year due to damp and rainy weather with little or no heat in most Albergues.. so I plan to suffer with the hot weather...love the heat..anyone doing same time.. ciao
n :shock:

Neil on your walking staff on the plane I was given one at Pamplona and when I left Madrid last year I wrapped it up in bubble wrap with lots of tape...then check it at airport trust me no problems mine made it all the way to Pearson airport in Toronto Ontario Chanda..good luck good Camino.
n

:D Thanks Johnnie Walker for your sound advice!

Sillydoll, I have been stressing about this for some time and you have given me an excellent tip as to how to get to SJPP...Thank you! I will let you know what happens.

Hello all!

Have been haunting the site for tons of info, but haven't made my introductions yet!
I'm Chantal, from Canada and I'm taking my first Camino this May starting from Conques. Anyone else taking the Le-Puy route?

Chantelli :mrgreen:

Chantelli...welcome to the forum!

I'm sure by now you've found the treasure trove of information you required and are ready to make your own Way to Santiago.

Please consider adding to the Calendar so that others may see when you'll be walking.

Also, keep us informed of your experiences while on the Camino.

Buen Camino,
Arn

Camino postponed until September.

My mother in law has died suddenly. This means that my attempt on the Camino de Levante will have to be postponed until September as family commitments will need to come first for a bit.

Andy

andy.d said:

My mother in law has died suddenly. This means that my attempt on the Camino de Levante will have to be postponed until September as family commitments will need to come first for a bit.

Andy

Oh, i'm sorry.... :(

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
andy.d said:

Andy

I'm very sorry too, Andy.

The Camino will wait for you as much as necessary. Family attention is always more important in that situation.

Javier.

Andy, know that people here are thinking of you and your family. Javier is right, family first, and the road will truly always be waiting for you to come! Peace to you and all of yours, Karin

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Update: thanks again Sillydoll, have arranged with Caroline and she will pick me up in Pamplona and drive me to SJPP on the 25th...therefore, I will start walking on the 26th. :D

That is great! Now, all you have to do is take the first step, and then another 1million on the way to Santiago!

I am excited to be able to say that I am joining the class of 2009. I will be hospitalero at L'Esprit du Chemin starting August 27. After I finish there I have to decide which route I will walk. So many wonderful choices.

Buen Camino,
Melinda

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello everyone!
I am from Finland and starting my El Camino on may 26th from Saint Jean Pied de Port. I'll be walking alone, so hopefully i'm going to meet some of you along the way!
I have walked from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela year 2007 with my colleagues, and ever since I've been dreaming to do the whole Camino Francés... In january it just hit me, why not to do it this year! I'm having my 27th birthday on june, and what could be better way to spend it than being somewhere on the road to Santiago...

Buen Camino a todos! :)
-Veera

Hi Veram and welcome to the Forum - what better way to spend your birthday indeed! What a great plan.

I'm sure your plans are well advanced but if you need to know anything just post your questions and forum members will try to answer.

Happy preparing!

Congratulations, Melinda, you get to be hospitalera in a very popular albergue. I remember how wonderful their food smelled and wished I could have stayed there. But alas, all filled up. So remember, folks, make a reservation!
Lillian

Veera and Melinda....fantastic news for you both!

The Camino has a way of rewarding peregrinos that desire to make the best of the entire Way. Gosh, hospitalero at Le Esprit du Chemin...my very first taste of the Camino and the best way to begin...you will impact so many as they set out. Good on ya!

A birthday send off can only be a good thing! Bless you both

Arn

Thank you Lillian and Arn. I am sure you can both imagine how excited I am to be able to volunteer at L'Esprit du Chemin. I was sick and a little terrified when I arrived on their doorsteps over 2 years ago. They took me in, put a bucket beside my bed, gave me clean linens and cooked something special for me that night in case I wasn't up to the food everyone else was eating. By dinnertime I was feeling so much better that I was able to eat. You weren't kidding about the smell of the food Lillian. It was one of the most delicious meals I had on the Camino. The next morning after breakfast and with a packed lunch we started our journey. I credit Hurberta and Arno for starting us out on the right foot and calming our fears. I am so happy to return and give something back.

Melinda

I send my post yesterday to the wrong place,because this "Class of 2009" is the right one.
I plan to start the CAMINO from SJPP next April 22 and make ( Deo Volente)the whole route to Santiago.Since retiring I have done el Camino Frances,Portugues,Primitivo several times...... by far is the greatest and most important experience of my retirement. I am very happy to be a spanish member of the C.S.J and I have met twice in O Cebreiro his former Chairman: Laurie Dennet who wrote one of the best books on the Camino " A hug for the Apostle" (Toronto/McMillan of Canada 1987).
Hoping to meet many fellow pilgrims BUEN CAMINO A TODOS

alfredo jz-millas said:
I plan to start the CAMINO from SJPP next April 22
Hi Alfredo (jz-millas)
My wife & I (Helen & Colin) are leaving SJPP on April 17. However, as we are planning a long slow walk you might pass us somewhere along the way. Hope you have a fantástico Camino.

Col

Hi there i'm a gap year camino-er

I leave Plymouth port on April 26th and arrive in Santander on the 27th, from there i intend on getting myself to StJPP some way or another and hopefully clocking up my first few miles on the 29th April, i'm incredibly underprepared and very nervous

Hi there 'gap-year or should I say -404!!
I am booked on the same ferry from Plymouth to Santander on 26th. April. However I will be walking the Camino del Norte. I am planning (hoping) to walk out of Santander on the afternoon of the 27th. and get at least a few kilometres under my belt It all depends on how my walk from Exeter to Plymouth goes.
Good luck with your planning and I look forward to possibly meeting you on board. We might even find that there is a fortaste of Spanish vino tinto around!

Tio Tel

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You could get a bus to Pamplona and email Caroline at Express Buricott to take you over the mountain from there - sharing the taxi fee.

Hi everybody!

I'm happy to join the class of 2009!

Me and my fiancé Ubbe will be walking SJPP-Burgos in July, leaving SJPP July 8th.
Anybody else walking through Pamplona during San Fermin?
I'm a bit worried about that but it's the only chance we have of walking this year.
Our plan is to walk the rest of the camino 2011.

Class of 2009..ready to leave :)

7 days till we leave the land of Aus :D
Have put our forum badges on our packs..made Sangria for our party tomorrow..
nothing left to do but get on the plane and head for SJPP 8) :arrow: :arrow:
Mish

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi I will travel to Lourdes on July, 27. From there I will go to the Camino Aragones and then to Santiago/Finisterre
It will be my second time on the camino

404, Hali, Mish and Samsonite,

Everytime I come across a new or return peregrino I look into the barn and say...maybe I could just pack it up and get back on the Camino...then reality sets in. This time last year I was but nine days away from wheels up and a Camino to go.

You are now in that final process and the excitement must be building...whether it's your first or second time...on the same route or a new adventure along a path less traveled...we of the Forum are there with you all the Way.

Let us know how it's going...the good and the different...we are with you.

Buen Camino,

Arn

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When I saw some postings from people walking around the area of Cahors I wanted to tell you about this.
I just found this article about canoeing in the area around Cahors, seeing pre-historical caves and it seemed like a nice side-trip for anyone walking in that area and taking advantage of seeing something so beautiful.
This NY Times article will want you to go!
http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/04/05/tr ... dogne.html
Lillian

Hello Fellow O9 Walkers:

After planning for a multi-year camino experience for various reasons, it has all come together to allow me to enter into the whole journey as one experience this summer. So, I am an official 09 Class member. I leave Chicago on July 11 via Paris and will begin the Camino from St. Jean on July 13. While I have been a serious student of pilgrimage for a few years now, I am setting all the books and memoirs aside and becoming a humble pilgrim who intends to let the Camino do what it seems to do best, namely surprise me!
I am keen to meet fellow pilgrims either on the forum or in person, so if you care to know what this German/Canadian/American is up to on the Pilgrimage drop me a note. For you Canadian members who meet me on the road, I will be wearing a Canadian "Tilly" hat, and probably singing from time to time. Till we meet,

Bill :wink:

Hello William and all pilgrims,

It is nice to find you all around this virtual "fire", exchanging stories and advice. I have already gathered valuable info from the forum and hope will be able to return the favor.

I am Catalina from Romania, a mainly Orthodox country where Camino is little known. I have walked the Camino Frances by myself in 2007. For 2009 I am planning to walk with my boyfriend, but haven't decided on the route, yet. Our walk will take place after the Orthodox Easter, namely around the 20th of April.

The story is about to begin and I am sure that some of you will be characters in it

The best from Bucharest,
Catalina

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Dear friends

I shall be leaving Australia to start my Camino Frances later on this month. This will be my first time over there. I found this forum very informative and full of valuable advice. I would like to say thank you to all the old timers who share their experiences with people like me.
I shall be travelling on my own and I hope to make many friends on the way from SJPP to Santaigo. I have not booked a return flight back home so I'll be taking my time to enjoy my camino.

Best regards

miratur

Hi! I'm from California and will be starting in Le Puy on April 20 and heading for SJPP in approx 5 weeks. Bringing my little dog Daisey -- I know, I know. Looking forward to making new friends along the way! ~ Hillary

Hi
I'm Padraic . I'm a 54 yr old Irishman. Im doing the Camino from Saint Jean de Point starting on the 30th of April. Ill fly into Bayonne on 29th April.
I don't know how I heard about the Camino. Never in my life did I hear about it. i honestly believe I dreamt about it then i looked it up on the net. There it was. That was in 2008. It was to late to organise it then, so i waited until this year. I'm walking a bit and do other cardio -vascular exercises. I'm a "little " over weight. But hopefully that wont stop me. Ive got good blood pressure and a heartbeat around 60. So Its now or never. Hopefully I can do it in 30 to 35 days. I'm married with 2 kids. Girl 18 Boy 15. Ive got there blessing but don't want to stay away too long.
Hope to meet some of you on the way
Padraic Rooney
Sligo
ireland

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So many new pilgrims! Welcome to all of you! It seems that April and May will be busy months on the Camino this year.

Please be sure to "drop in" as you can and let us all know how your Camino is progressing. And when you return, post your photos. It is always so nice to see the Camino in other seasons.

Buen Camino(s),

Hi Padraic! Welcome to the forum! I hope you have a wonderful time on the Camino. Just remember to take your time. It's not a race. :) Well, that's what I tell myself & sometimes it works. ;)

Kelly

Catalina - in 2006 45 pilgrims from Romania got the Compostela. In 2007 there were 75 and in 2008 there were 78. Perhaps you could try to find some of those pilgrims and start a CSJ in your country?

Hi Padraic, Hope all goes well for you. As Kelly says, it's not a race. It will just happen & unfold day by day.
Did you ever hear Donncha O’Dualing doing some of the camino, on the radio a few years back?
My Dad used to say " there's a pub in Sligo and that's where I go!"

Buen Camino

Brian

Hey there friends well getting excited for resuming my Camino. starting point will be Burgos..now the name of the Hostel in Burgos was given as being calle del Femon Gonzalez, the one I have found in Burgos states that it is Calle Frenan Gonzalez 28 it's called hostel Casa del Cubo. is this the same one..let me know thanks.
n :oops:

Hi Nathanael, Someone else will help you with precise name & address, but your post reminds me of my entry to Burgos. It also might illustrate what happens someone on the Camino. I had an extended enjoyable walk from Tosantos.Entering Burgos I heard the sound of a marching band and linked up. We were travelling the same route. I delayed a while to savour their meeting with other bands. Then I continued on to the the albergue in the park on the other side of the city. So after a long day in the fresh air I continued to pass possible beds for the night, not knowing what might be in store for me. As you've guessed I got a bed in one of the log cabins.
Hospitaleros in St. Jean P de P. told me that St. Jaques would take care of me.

Buen camino

Brian

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Everyone,

Peace! I'm planning to do the Camino in mid-May this year 2009 and intend to start at SJPP. I intend to spend the night at SJPP but have absolutely no idea about the lodgings there and how much do they cost. I also have no idea about the weather at this time along the French Route. I hope to meet some pilgrims at SJPP and walk the Camino with you. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Blessings,
Manny D

There are two pilgrim refuges and many small hotels in St Jean. The most popular refuge is Albergue Esprit du Chemin: You can book a bed ahead at hubertarno@espritduchemin.org, website http://www.espritduchemin.org. You can get your credential at the pilgrim's office close by at Accueil des pelerins de St-Jacques, 39 rue de la Citadelle. The pilgrims office is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h.
You might want to consider spending a night at Orisson - about 10kms up from St Jean - they charge 30 euro for dinner, bed and breakfast. Book online at http://www.refuge-orisson.com
Buen camino - May is a gorgeous time of the year to walk el camino!

Back again, plantar fasciitis under control, and aiming to start my camino on 1st September - only a year later than originally intended! I've added my name to the calendar and am looking forward to catching up on all the posts in here since I last looked in.

I am a resident of Victoria BC Canada, 60 yrs old, and really excited about my first camino from SJPP to santiago starting second week of Sept., ( I have 8 weeks), I was originally going to start in early October but some comments from other pilgrims on past weather experiences at that time of year convinced me to move my schedule up a few weeks. Lots of planning yet to do, but most of the equipment is bought and started some training walks on the weekend. I attended a friends of the camino gathering here in Victoria a few weeks ago and it was excellent as a source of information from recent pilgrims. One thing I heard over and over again was "go at your own pace, do your own thing, and enjoy", which is the approach I intend to take. This forum has also been very useful.
AJP

Thank you very much, Sillydoll. How grateful I am for all the information and encouragement I get from this forum! As my fear and trepidation slowly disappear my desire to do the camino strengthens day by day.

Muchas Gracias,
Manny D

I am booked on the ferry from Plymouth to Santander on 26th. April.
Just over a week to go before sailing! However, before that I leave Exeter Cathedral on Tuesday 21st. after (I hope!) a blessing by Bishop John of Plymouth. I then walk in stages to Plymouth for the ferry. On the way I have booked a night's stay with the monks at Buckfast Abbey who are quite excited by having a real live pilgrim staying with them - apparently the old pre-reformation foundation was a stopping place for pilgrims as they made for the coastal ports in the South West of the U.K.
I would hope to meet up with fellow pilgrims on the Camino del Norte as I will be walking alone - correction - I will be walking with God !!

Go well and safely

Tio Tel

I read about your walk this afternoon Fr Terry and wish you buen camino!

http://www.thisiswesternmorningnews.co. ... ticle.html

A RETIRED Westcountry priest is about to take to the long and lonely road in a bid to draw attention to the plight of farmers whose lifestyles are sometimes are long and lonely ones. Terry Brighton – a recently retired priest now living in Chudleigh – will be setting off from Exeter Cathedral on Tuesday, April 21 to walk more than 400 miles to the shrine of Saint James the Greater at the world-famous cathedral of Santiago de Compostela in north west Spain. In addition to the spiritual benefit he hopes to gain, Terry will be raising funds for Farm Crisis Network (FCN) which provides support and guidance to farmers overwhelmed by difficulties.
"My last parish was at East Portlemouth," the walking vicar told the Western Morning News as he explained why he's backing the charity. "And I've spent all my life in small rural communities and been involved with farming."
"One of my last parishioners was actually farming a place that was once 23 separate holdings – now all combined into one. That shows how the actual depopulation of countryside is working."
Asked why he'd come up with the idea to join the pilgrimage to Santiago, he replied that he'd had it in mind for a number of years. "If you are a parish priest you are open to phone calls and spending all your time with people," he said. "It seemed right for me to take a walk with just God for company."
The first stage of the journey will take Terry from Exeter to Plymouth – a mere 36 miles – where he will catch the ferry to Santander. From there, he will walk to Oviedo, a distance of 134 miles, and then on to Santiago de Compostela, completing some 410 miles in total. He will be following the ancient pilgrim routes and plans to be in Compostela to celebrate Pentecost at the end of May.
Asked if he was looking forward to starting the big trek next week, he shrugged somewhat nervously. "I think it's got a bit out of control," he said. "The number of people who have contacted me has been amazing – we are into good money already for the sponsorship. But there's a bit of me that's looking forward to it and a bit that's daunted."

The FCN provides practical and pastoral support to farmers during periods of anxiety and stress and runs a confidential helpline from 7am-11pm every day. To find out more, visit http://www.fcn.org.uk.

Greetings everyone well it's done flight booked and my stay in Madrid for 3 nights. Off to Burgos on the 5 of June to continue my Camino. Now for all those seasoned people who have done this and are proficient in all the travel plans. I had a lady who use to give me all the instructions in traveling to and from on the Metro....but she is no longer employed where I stay in Madrid. Where I get the bus for Burgos is called something of the Americas can someone help out cannot remember exact name so I can make my way there. Thanks everyone best of luck and enjoy the Camino it is meant to be enjoyed even with the little hardships.
ciao a tutti
niel

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Canuck..thanks thats it now I remember..now another thing while I am on here last Camino I was able to do 38-40 K. a day how many days do you think it will take to reach Compostela..roughly that is so I can book for my return in Madrid where I stay and enjoy a week or so of visiting a few sights. thks.
n

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Nathanael - if you walked 40km a day before you got to Burgos you will easily do 50km a day between Burgos and Leon!
For ±230 km between Burgos and Astorga you are on the meseta. The mountains of León take you up to 1,400 metres over 2 days, then very steeply down to the Bierzo plain. Two days later you have the Cebreiro range, again reaching 1,400 metres. From Astorga to Sarria – 145kms takes you to the highest point at 1500m and the last 115 kms from Sarria to Santiago are fairly arduous with sharp up hills and steep descents.

Canuck why so fast well I just want to have an idea so I can reserve a place where I usually stay in Madrid have you ever tried at that time of the very hardn

JaneB said:
I'm hoping to be at the Cathedral next Tuesday, Terry B, to wish you farewell and God speed!

See the next post for details - The old man is still trying to get the hang of this new technology. when I were a lad we used pigeons !

Terry

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
JaneB said:
I'm hoping to be at the Cathedral next Tuesday, Terry B, to wish you farewell and God speed!

Thanks Sil and Jane for your good wishes. The press can get a handle on a sponsored walk but not so much on a 'pilgrimage'. My primary purpose is to be 'on pilgrimage' and take what comes. As I have said before, my reason for choosing the Caminos del Norte is to free myself from the pressure of HAVING to spend time queuing for a bed etc. 5 weeks walking seems to be acheivable without too much pressure!
I have started a blog so that I can update if I can find a cyber-cafe. Otherwise a short message sent via my wife will go on instead. The 'Justgiving' link for Farm Crisis Network is also there for anyone who feels generous. Where would we be without farmers and food? The water will be provided 'en camino'!
http://walktocompostela.blogspot.com/

Blessing to you all.
Terry

sillydoll, hi there I trust all is well with you. Well as you see am ready to start again purchased a new pair of Keen boots last's yr ones were worn on the heals and inside was getting worn so decide better safe than sorry. A question although the Canadian Confraternity said that I can use last years pilgrim credential booklet with stamped places in it from where I walked, is it alright to use it again. Am concerned and I know will get good advise on this subject from you. Do you think I should order another in case I run out of space. Looking forward to hearing from you and thanks.
n. 8)

Great news that you will be on the road again N!!
You can use the space in your old credential - perhaps you could paste a new page in the front with details of where you are starting and the date you'll be starting. You can get a credential in Spain as well, in case you run out of space, or you can add new pages into the old one.
Go well, peregrino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Fr. Terry,

"If you are a parish priest you are open to phone calls and spending all your time with people," he said. "It seemed right for me to take a walk with just God for company."

God' s peace and blessings to you as you begin soon your Camino. Like you, I am also ending my term as parish priest in Manila (http://www.stjohnboscomakati.org) and have been thinking about doing the Camino for several years now. I am doing the pilgrimage towards the end of May. Please be assured of my prayers. God be with you!

Peace,
Manny D

If you two retired pastors would like to read a book by a fellow retiree, try Kevin Codd's "To the Field of the Stars" He was parish priest of the dioscese of Spokane, Washington.
You could also read Joyse Rupp's book 'Walk in a Relaxed Manner'. Joyce is a member of the Servites (Servants of Mary) and walked with a retired priest.

Hi Everyone
Really delighted to have found this site - I am off on my first trip of part of the Camino on May 5th - I am seeking train/bus information to get from SdC to Sarria - does anyone know where I can find a current scheudle? Also if you have any suggestions for my first nights stay in Sarria before I start my journey on Wednesday 6th I would really appreciate it.
Thank you in advance for your help
Cora

Who else on this forum may be there in May 2009?

I plan to fly into Madrid on May 7 and find my way to Ronsavalles from there...
Am getting nervous (as I will be going alone) but excited, too!
My biggest fear is being on the path alone and getting lost, but many have gone before me, so hopefully it will be fine! I have never done anything like this.
Hope to see you on the road!
karen

Hi, Sil,

I believe it would be both interesting and inspiring to read the books of Fr. Codd and Sr. Joyce. I'll check them out! I'm really excited about the Camino. And after, I'll be teaching theology again and am looking forward to it.

Muchas Gracias,
Manny D

On my way to the Cathedral to see TerryB as he leaves to walk from Exeter to Plymouth for his ferry to Spain and the Camino del Norte :D Our very own Pilgrim Father!

Hi Cora,
You will need to take a bus from Santiago to Lugo - company: Freire http://www.empresafreire.com
and then another half hour bus from Lugo Sarria - company Monbus http://www.monbus.es
Or you can get a taxi – costs about 110 €. or, see if Ivar's CaminoTravelCenter has a small group to take in his pilgrim taxi to Sarria.
To get right into the spirit of the camino, I would recommend staying in any one of the many pilgrim refuges in Sarria. You can also get a credential from them.
My husband joined us in Sarria in 2007 to walk the Sarria to Santiago section and he thoroughly enjoiyed the experience - I'm sure you will too!

TerryB is on his way! He left the West Door of the cathedral in Exeter at 9 a.m and I walked with him as he crossed the medieval bridge out of the city. Photos to follow.

ETA: The Bishop gave Terry a pilgrim blessing following Communion at 8 a.m. It was very special to be there

Hi everyone! I am planning on starting el camino in mid May, probably May 13-14, 2009. Been thinking about it for years, and can't wait. Am a bit nervous about walking alone after reading some of the posts about flashers etc. so if anyone else is thinking of heading out at that time, let me know :D

Peace! I plan to go to Lourdes before starting the Camino. But after Lourdes, how do I get to St. Jean Pied-de-Port? Are there buses or trains going from Lourdes to SJPP? Any suggestions, please?

Thank you,
Manny D

There is a train from Lourdes to Bayonne. You'll then have to change for the small train to St Jean Pied de Port. http://www.sncf.com
You can also get a credential from the office in the Sanctuaries.

"If you are a parish priest you are open to phone calls and spending all your time with people," he said. "It seemed right for me to take a walk with just God for company."

Hi Manny D
Many thanks for your good wishes. It is great to finally be 'on the way'. Tomorrow night I stay in the guest house at Buckfast Abbey in Devon (details here) http://www.buckfast.org.uk/page-home.html. The original Cistercian foundation fell victim to Henry VIII. The Benedictines have rebuilt it and it is now famous for its tonic wine!
May things work out for you as you set out on your pilgrimage!

Blessings
TerryB

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
TerryB and Kat,

First Kat...you will have no problems with your walk. There are many solid folks on the Camino and, as for flashers...just consider it a display of their short comings!

Now TerryB...on the "tonic' side of wine. I'm there my friend. Been pushing red wine as a tonic for many years.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Thank you very much, Sil! Little by little my preparations for the Camino are coming into place.

Peace,
Manny D.

only 34 days to go for our Camino! We arrive in Paris at 9am May 27 and will be in SJPP that evening! I hope to have enough energy to start our walk on May 28 and head to Ronscevalles! I'm starting to really get excited about this! I have had Santiago in the recesses of my brain for at least 6 or 7 years, and now, for reasons only known to the Man Upstairs, it is time for me to finally experience this journey. Can't wait for the road, and all it's unknown pleasures, mysteries, and suprises that it holds....

tim :)

Arn wrote
on the "tonic' side of wine. I'm there my friend. Been pushing red wine as a tonic for many years.
There are 3 tanker loads of tonic wine here at Buckfast Abbey tonight!! Approx 3,000 litres I think.
Seriously the Brothers have given me a warm welcome and a good bed for the night.
On my way to Ivybridge tomorrow , then Plymouth to stay with a fellow priest. On Sunday I sail for Santander on the ferry.
I will try to update as I go along, or my wife Valerie will do it for me. She cannot walk this time, but is coming out to join me towards the end of my Pilgrimage.
God bless and thank you for your prayers,
Tio Tel

Hi Everyone!

My name is Suzie and I am planning to walk a little of the Camino in September. I have always wanted to do this, since I was very young, although I could never say exactly why. I am beginning to understand my Christian faith properly and explore it further and I hope that this short pilgrimage will help me do some 'proper' thinking and maybe even take some decisions.

But laziness (and other things like work, a chronically sick child, and various family problems) have held me back. A couple of years ago I thought I should start talking about it out loud, so that eventually someone in the family would say - ' well, why haven't you gone yet?' and force me into it. I also thought I would like to do the Camino before I turned 50. That milestone is coming up fast (20th September to be precise). Then my young cousin died (of a Strep A infection - from fit and well to dead in 36 hours, leaving a widow with 2 kids under 4), which has been hell for all of us, and he had been so encouraging about me doing this when I spoke to him last.....so I have finally booked my flights and made some hotel reservations, and planned my route.

I am not known for my sporting prowess although I am a very active mum and youth group leader, so I am starting training next Monday.

I would have been happy to go alone, but quite out of the blue, my friend and neighbour Angela has decided to come with me - although she is not 'religious' as she puts it, she felt a 'pull' when I was talking about it - and 'hurrah!' for she speaks fluent Spanish and has visited Galicia before. So God has sent me a real gift there.

I am feeling very happy and excited about it, apart from the sad fact that I can only do 9 days away from home - and that includes 2 days travelling, so we have decided to walk from Samos into santiago de Compostela. It's not very far, is it? I so wish I could do more - you are all doing so much further than me and I admire you all immensely. I was reassureded by a lovely man I met in Guildford, Surrey, the other day, who was carrying a very small pack with a seashell on it - it turned out he was on his way the day I met him (and astonished to be approached by anyone in Guildford who recognised what the shell was about). He said the first time he went he could only do a few days, but 10 years on he is walking from Surrey to Santiago - arriving in SdC in July - say hello if you meet him!

Anyway, Angela and I will be setting off from Samos on 5 September, so if you are there round that time - we may meet up with you. Angela is 'allergic' to the concept of albergues, so we have booked some little B&B's (well, it was either that or lose her fine company!).

Good luck to you all, and God bless you.

Suzie

Sorry - bit of rambly post - hope you can make sense of it :)

Suzie...welcome to the Forum!

It's obvious you've given a lot of thought to walking the Way. There are many resources here including; FAQ and the calendar at the bottom of the page to see who will be on the Camino at the same time.

Ask and I'm sure someone will have a solid answer for you on nearly any topic.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.