• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2010

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
Hello everyone!! :)

I'm also planing of cycling the French or North stretch of the Camino (from Bayonne or St Jean-Pied-de-Port) in May, i'm still on the early stages of the process of gathering info and gear, so i welcome any advice :). I also welcome company, so if anyone that reads this is thinking of cycling one of those just send me a message :).

I hope to see some of you on the way !

Daniel from Portugal

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all

I will become one of the "Class of 2010" I am geared up and ready to roll....Tuesday 13th April I commence from St Jean and will be WALKING the entire journey right across to Santiago and anticipate about 5 weeks or a bit more if I decide to add in more than 4 rest days but am very excited and going on my own.....however, understand that I won't necessarily be alone! Am excited about it being a Holy Year and am looking forward to any challenges that present themselves and the buzz of a Holy Year and the fact that there won't be another for 11 years!! Am going to walk through the "Gates of Forgiveness" twice to ensure all is forgiven.... :lol:

I am aiming to raise $100k for Heart research & heart awareness so is actually my personal fund raising event. I will post my official webpage once we go live in February.

Cheers to all.....Buen Camino :D
Jacqui

anniethenurse said:
Hereby joining the class of 2010 and planning for the Camino Portugues in April the 30th of 2010 from Porto to Santiago. Hope to make it to Santiago in about 12 days and will spend 3- 4 days in Santiago before going back home.
annie
hope to meet some other forum members in Santiago!!!

Annie,

You will probably pass me along the way. I'm starting from Porto in mid-April, but will be making many 1-3 day stops along the way -- taking around 3 1/2 weeks to get to Santiago.

Kit Taylor
http://www.arovingvision.com
kst@arovingvision.com

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Greetings .,,
I'm looking at starting in Sevilla mid June to hopefully avoid the masses as i'd like to take it slow. I'll be in India for a few months prior to this in high temps so am hoping my body will be acclimated for long hot days. Has anyone taken this route in the summer? I plan on carrying a light pack to allow for extra weight of water. Anyone trying this route in the summer? Getting excited!
Cheers!
Susan ( in Atlanta, EU)

Hi Susan

I've been out on the Via de a Plata in May and June. In a 'normal' year whatever that is nowadays the roasting temperatures of 40 - 50 degrees usually occur in August. The sections from Sevilla through Extremadura can be exposed and hot. But if you have been experiencing heat and you travel light as is your intention then you can carry the extra water you'll need. I wouldn't count on avoiding the masses altogether though. If you look at posts here from people walking fairly early in the year last year you'll see how much this route is gaining in popularity.

Pack lots of sunscreen! :)

Buen Camino

John

Hello again,
starting the Camino from St Jean in June, the 5 th. Walking the Camino in two parts, the latter part hopefully next summer. No hurry is my style. Looking for the same attitude and athmosphere as last time, September 2008; all the pilgrims have same path and intention to reach their goal.
Buen Camino!
Tuulis

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Re: Class of 2010 - Via de la Plata

Via de la Plata. Walking. Leaving from near El Real de la Jara on March 18, 2010. Anyone going to be in Sevilla around March 13-16?

Hola Aleesha:
I too read Tony Kevin's book. I'm scheduled to arrive in Granada Mar. 10th, and plan to make my way towards Santiago a few days later. I think Tony said(2006) that he did not meet any pilgrims until after he arrived in Merida. I hope you decide to walk the Camino Mozarabe and that our paths cross. David.

Wow...what a Class has and IS forming up for this Holy Year!

It appears that the entire world is gathering and walking the Camino one citizen at a time. Why you choose to make the pilgrimage to Santiago is secondary to the overall experience. You will find out about yourself (physical/mental), you will meet others that will leave a lasting impression and you will eat food that is to die for in an atmosphere without parallel.

Buen Camino

Arn

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
"food to die for..."
I wonder if you mean it to sound downright fatal, Arn?
Good to see you around. Walking again this year? Sailing in to Ferrol, perhaps, for a jaunt along the Ingles?
Reb.

Hi Reb,

My plans are in flux right now. Been out of the USA doing stuff...but back now.

Saw Cullen and his beautiful wife Petra at an American Pilgrim gathering on Saturday. Many past, present and future peregrinos there.

I'd planned to walk from Coruna the last week in Dec and first two weeks in 2010, but the economy and my travels got in the Way. Also, my daughter and her family moved up to the farm last Wednesday and my son returns to Afghanistan on the 25th.

My intent is to share what little knowledge I have of the Camino, rekindle friendships and plan a return to the Way.

It's all in God's hands.

Arn

Your ears must have been burning Arn.... Vinotinto made a reappearance just recently, after a long absence, and your presence was being asked after :D
Margaret

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Margaret, Sil, Vinotinto and all,

Been a tough six months...with many changes, but I believe I'm back in control. :mrgreen:

This Forum is a family with all the inn and outs that can be found in any family.

Good to be back on line!

Arn

Arn said:
Margaret, Sil, Vinotinto and all,

Been a tough six months...with many changes, but I believe I'm back in control. :mrgreen:

This Forum is a family with all the inn and outs that can be found in any family.

Good to be back on line!

Arn
Yes, good to see your avatar again (that little picture next to his username)! Good to have you back!

Saludos,
Ivar

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
solong said:
Hola Aleesha:
I too read Tony Kevin's book. I'm scheduled to arrive in Granada Mar. 10th, and plan to make my way towards Santiago a few days later. I think Tony said(2006) that he did not meet any pilgrims until after he arrived in Merida. I hope you decide to walk the Camino Mozarabe and that our paths cross. David.

Tony Kevin has a lot to answer for! I hadn't been outside Oz in 20 years when I read his book. I walked the Mozarabe/VdlP in 2008, starting from Malaga. I didn't meet any pilgrims until Merida and the only English speakers I met were a waiter and two tourists in Cordoba.

Omar walked from Granada in 2008 and met only one pilgrim before Merida.

Hi, my name is Tim, 49 year old, first time hiker from Canada and planning on do the Camino beginning in St Jean in mid-March. I hear that there will likely be snow in the hills when I am there, but maybe I will take a toboggan and slide all the way down - will make up time that way :)

Arn, Good to see you back! :D It was great meeting you at the Pilgrim gathering, it was great fun, good learning and a chance to make new friends. We look forward to seeing more of you on...and off.. the forum!

God Bless

Cullen

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Re: Class of 2010 - Ourense to Santiago to Toulouse

Planning on walking the last 100km from Ourense beginning 15 May and ending 22 May. We're going with a group put together by a company called One Foot Abroad. They take the hassle out of getting rooms, etc. Looking forward to this trek as I've wanted to do it for quite some time. HOWEVER, it seems to be quite difficult to find a reasonable way to travel from Santiago to Toulouse, where we are heading after the trip on the camino. Air fares are outrageous. Does anyone know of alternatives on traveling to Toulouse. We're exploring all avenues--planes, trains, buses and automobiles. If anyone else has done this particular trip, would appreciate any and all information.

Hello, I am called Timid because that's what I'm like. My friend and I have been planning to walk the Camino Frances, starting the first week in September, since last summer.

Now, it's this year instead of last year when we talk about our trip but, the more I read about the Camino, the more frightening and worrying the thought of actually doing it becomes.

Sometimes I wish I could just stop thinking about it and that I have to do it tomorrow...no chance to get cold feet and no chance to change my mind.

Does anyone else feel this sense of fear and of ultimate failure?

Hi -
Sure I was nervous for the first time, but then I thought "what's the worst that can happen if I don't finish the entire camino? Not huge consequences, really.

I certainly understand your trepidation as it is a significant undertaking, but try to let go of your fear and worst-case scenarios. A lot of your camino will be easy walking. Don't think "OMG I have to walk 850 km" - think "I'm walking 22 km TODAY". Just do that every day. Each day your strength and perseverance grows and you become much fit than you ever thought you could be.

And seriously, if you don't finish the 850 in one go, then you get to go back the next year and finish :D (And I bet you change your user name!)

Buen camino!

lynne

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Timid, I agree with Lynne- taking it all a step at a time is the way to reach the end. Lynne wrote something in the forum a while back that I copied and took with me in a little stash of inspirational bits and pieces.
She said:
"Don't think about the total number of kilometres you are walking. Only think about what you are walking today. Right now. Step by step, hill by hill, rest stop by rest stop - that's how you accomplish your goal. You can do it!"

On days when I was finding it hard with tender feet near the beginning, I often used to read Lynne's words to myself - step by step, hill by hill, rest stop by rest stop- and just by persevering each day, you surely do reach the end.
Margaret

I'm sure I had similar worries before I started but now my most vivid memory is the last week of my walk and being upset and very emotional because it was about to end and I wanted it to go on for ever.

Today I finalised flights and now it's countdown....planning to arrive in Seville on Good Friday, starting the VdPlata on Easter Sunday from Monesterio. :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for the encouraging remarks. You are right, I need to become a bit more goal-oriented and take each day, maybe broken up into hourly chunks, at a time.

We are starting from St Jean PP and we have allowed ourselves about 6 weeks to accomplish our goal.

Commensense tells me it's do-able because hundreds of thousands of people have done it and there's nothing about us that would make us any different to these thousands.

So, greatly cheered on now, many thanks!

When I come back from holiday round about mid February, I will put together a programme of training walks and perhaps some lifting of free weights to build up some upper body strength.

After all, there's nothing like giving myself the best ever chance of finishing the Camino, right?

Timid wrote:
When I come back from holiday round about mid February, I will put together a programme of training walks and perhaps some lifting of free weights to build up some upper body strength.

I'm curious about the weight training. Are you concerned about sufficient upper body strength to assist with carrying your pack, or using a walking staff or walking poles?

If the first, you will find that a properly rigged pack rides on the hips with the shoulders more for balance. If the staff/poles...the forearms and wrists tend to provide the best assistance also for balance and leverage going up hills.

I would suggest you focus more on your legs, paying close attention to what your knees and ankles are telling you.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Hello, I'm Gwendoline, from Paris, and together with my husband we'll start our Camino frances around 0 Cebreiro on March 25th, hoping to arrive in Santiago in time for Easter Vigil.
I'm still wondering about the weather and the distances we'll be able to walk everyday...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for this useful link ivar ! :D
Well, I'll have a better look at it this evening, but already: I wasn't aware there were two routes from O Cebreiro to Triacastela, and wondering which one will be best ! :?:

Arn said:
Timid wrote:

I'm curious about the weight training. Are you concerned about sufficient upper body strength to assist with carrying your pack, or using a walking staff or walking poles?

If the first, you will find that a properly rigged pack rides on the hips with the shoulders more for balance. If the staff/poles...the forearms and wrists tend to provide the best assistance also for balance and leverage going up hills.

I would suggest you focus more on your legs, paying close attention to what your knees and ankles are telling you.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Arn, I am quite a small woman, only just over 5ft 1in (sorry, don't know height in metres) and weigh 53 kilos.

Also, whilst very determined and have done both long distance walks and long distance cycling, do not consider myself to have much stamina.

Used to do weight training at the gym but no longer live anywhere near a gym.

Not too worried about my legs because they are reasonably strong as I walk everyday, whatever the weather for at least an hour.

I want upper body strength for carrying my sack and I am also considering (not yet decided) to take my Nordic walking poles.

Any comments, advice will be gratefully received.

Also, if anyone is reading this in the next 24 to 48 hours, please think about my poor little dog who was poisoned by organo phosphates a few hours ago and is spending tonight at the vet's. Has a drip,was injected with antidotes and tranquillisers to stop the convulsions.

I am not making much sense tonight and I might not be replying....I'd like you to know the reason for my silence.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Timid said:
I want upper body strength for carrying my sack and I am also considering (not yet decided) to take my Nordic walking poles.

Any comments, advice will be gratefully received.

Also, if anyone is reading this in the next 24 to 48 hours, please think about my poor little dog who was poisoned by organo phosphates a few hours ago and is spending tonight at the vet's. Has a drip,was injected with antidotes and tranquillisers to stop the convulsions.

I am not making much sense tonight and I might not be replying....I'd like you to know the reason for my silence.

San Roque who's statue/picture one often comes across on the Camino is the patron saint of dogs.....so I hope he's looking over your dog this evening.

If you've found the poles useful at home I'd suggest that you bring them with you for your journey. I couldn't have made Roncevalles not to mind Santiago without mine! And even young fit pilgrims often ended up buying poles at some stage along the route.
Nell

I hope your dog does well tonight and things turn out well for you both. Please let us know how everything goes.

lynne

Thank you for your kind words.

Yes!!!! my dog's going to make it. Been to the vet's this morning and they disconnected her in order for us to take her out to have a pee and then she drank a big bowl of water.

Might be able to have her back later.

Now, I shall definitely have to finish the camino, to express my gratitude.

It might sound crazy to some people, but I really feared for my husband's mental state if our dog had died.

When we left her last night, she was having so many convulsions that they had to give her repeated doses of tranquillisers.

This morning, she wagged her tail and greeted us. Miracles, yes I do believe utterly that they happen all the time.

Thanks again and I shall be looking out for the Patron Saint of Dogs....that's for sure.

Santiago, here I come...............!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks again and I shall be looking out for the Patron Saint of Dogs....that's for sure.

Santiago, here I come...............!!!

That's great news.
San Roque is often shown in a shortish mantle with a dog sitting 'to heal' on his left hand side. The dog is close to or licking the saints thigh (which is sometimes shown with a bubo, a lymphatic swelling associated with Bubonic plague) San Roque was looking after plaque victims but when he contracted the disease he retreated into the woods to prevent himself infecting others- however a good dog found him and brought him food. I think there is a picture of one somewhere on the forum?
In addition to churches dedicated to the saint there are many roads and streets named after San Roque in the towns and villages you will be walking through.
Nell

I'm so happy that your dog has done well! And as a life-long animal lover, I know what an important place our four-legged companions have in our lives and hearts.

Now you can plan away for your camino!

lynne

Hello, I'm Heidi.

I walked from CarriĂłn de los Condes to Santiago in April 2005 (and met Ivar!) along with my husband and our son, then 8 years old. The 405 kilometres took us 19 days. We enjoyed our walk immensely and decided we wanted to come back and walk more. (I think we met Javier MartĂ­n, who posts a lot here, on the road - there was a farmer's dog who followed us, and he ensured that the farmer got his dog back.)

In 2008 we walked from Sevilla to MĂ©rida - not quite as much fun, simply too few people on the road, too few villages on the path, and a bit of a strain to remember to buy for for lunches instead of having a lovely Menu de Peregrinos at some random place along the route.

This year, we're staring in Roncesvalles on March 25th and hope to get to CarriĂłn de los Condes - but Burgos is fine, too...

Someone mentioned Forum badges - where can I get one?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Badge bought!

On consideration I decided not to buy them for husband & son - they won't be participating here, and they already have the home-made badges I printed out on t-shirt fabric and sewed on to our backpacks in 2005...

Our son is proudly stating that this time, he'll carry more than his mother will - so we're looking forward to discussing weight distribution.

You really save a lot of weight walking with the same people all the time - only one set of kitchen stuff, only one first aid kit, communal toothpaste etc.

On our first walk we carried (water and fresh food not included, but it was chilly, so most of the time we only had 1/2 litre each) 7.5, 6 and 2.5 kilos. We might try 6, 5 and 5 this time - and I won't fight my boys for the heaviest backpack...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am almost 63 and live in London, Ontario, Canada. I hope to leave St. Jean Pied de Port in the middle of April 2010 (or possibly the beginning of May 2010). I want to enjoy the jouney.

Robert,

If you have any questions, this is the place to go. The folks out here are very friendly and most helpful.

I am from Niagara Falls and am starting my first Camino on the weekend of March 20th so I will have a head start on you. The people here have helped me decide what to wear, what footwear to take, and how to get there.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Tim

Greetings, I would like to join Class of 2010. I am Amado from the Philippines and joined the forum the other month. I will be hiking-running on the Camino Frances in 2010. I was thinking of starting on the last week of June but I since I still have to attend a summer course in Rome which ends on July 9, I will start on July 12 in SJPP. It will probably take me 21-24 days to cover the distance. After consulting the Godelsaco website, I have already drawn up 3 plans: Plan A (32 km/day), Plan B (37 km/day) and Plan C (40 km/day). Which plan to follow will depend on what happens along the way. Unfortunately, I won't make it to Santiago for the fiesta on July 25.

I plan to bring a lightweight tent and camp on the grounds of the Albergues or the churches. Being a Holy Year, there will be a lot pilgrims and I will have problem getting a bed since I will be on the road from 7:00 am - 4 pm. Besides, I enjoy camping. I am also heavy snorer and I don't want those around me to suffer sleepless nights. I hope I will be able to use the facilities of the Albergue (esp. toilet, faucets) and meet some of the pilgrims.

I started my preparation in November 2009 after running a marathon in Manila (I biked around the Philippines covering 5000 km in 56 days the previous year). These days, I usually run-walk for 8 hours (with backpack) once a week, and 2 hours (3-4 times a week). I also do weight training and biking. On Easter Week I will run-walk across Mindanao in 8-10 days covering around 400 km (45-50 km/day).

My sabbatical begins on the last week of April and I will spend one month in my hermitage up in the mountain overlooking Cebu. I will have one month of hiking/running up and down the montains before flying to Italy in June. After doing the Camino, I will be going back to my hermitage where I will spend the last two months of my sabbatical before going back to Davao.

Part of my preparation is reading some of the books about the Camino:
Joyce Rupp, Walk in a Relaxed Manner
Paulo Coelho, The Pilgrimage
Kevin Codd, To the Field of Stars
Hape Kerkeling, I'm Off Then
Village to Village Guide to the Camino de Santiago.

So I hope to meet some of you on the road or in the Albergues. Buen Camino!

€149,-
Hi Amado,
Your plans sound very special, and I look forward to following your blog if you make entries while you walk/run.
The book by Kevin Codd is probably my favourite one. Another one you might find of interest is an older book (publ 1974) by Edwin Mullins, called 'The Pilgrimage to Santiago'. He started in Paris, and drove most of the route, so he doesn't give a walking pilgrim's account, but he gives a lot of the background in terms of medieval history of the route etc.
Just one thing about camping- most of the churches don't have 'grounds' around them as such- and often they are 'gated' closed. Most people who camped seemed to do it out in the countryside a little.
Margaret

My husband, Cullen and I will be leaving from Newark 15 Mar. We arrive in Paris, train down to Bordeaux where we will fortify ourselves with some fruit of the vine before heading to SJPP on the 19th or 20th. He has been doing all the planning and research for the trip, but having just joined the ranks of the retired, my intention is to devote the next 5 or 6 weeks reading and walking in order to get ready for the Camino. I hope I can keep up with him!

Palma

Hola

My name is Carrie. My best friend Sarah and I will be walking the Camino Frances starting at SJPdP on June 9th or 10th. We are both Spanish teachers and have been planning this trip for a year and a half. I'm a little (a lot) nervous about the trek as I am not the most physically fit person ever, and as it is a Holy Year this year, I'm concerned about having a place to stay the whole time. I'm a planner, Sarah is a "everything will work out as it's supposed to" kind of person. I fear I may drive her insane before we leave.

If anyone else is walking at the same time we are, I hope to meet many new and interesting people, and make this the experience of a lifetime.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
One possible time when things may quieten down a little in this Holy Year is between the 11th of June and the 11th of July. It is then that the football World Cup is being held in South Africa http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/index.html . The Spanish male is very often football obsessed (as are many European, Asian, African and South American men) and will be reluctant to miss a single match especially if his own team is playing.

I'm not guaranteeing anything but it may get a little quieter then.

Greetings from Fairbanks, Alaska, USA! I'm one of three college students walking together on the Via de la Plata, starting in Sevilla on the 20th of May. Yes, we'll roast- it's currently -35F outside, -37C. It will be a new experience for all three of us, none of whom speak Spanish or have ever visited Spain before. Looking forward to the trail,

-Grace, writing also for Debra and Kelvin

Carrie, Palma, Debra, Amado, Grace,Kelvin, Robert

Welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2010.

The true excitement of the Camino will become strongest when you take your first step along the Way. There's so much you will experience that every Km will lead to a new adventure. Continue to scan the Forum until you depart, drop us a line as you make your Way and let us know how it all went when you get back home. It's often said that you never return from the Camino...you just take it with you until you return the next time..and, there will be a next time!

Amado, you've set some fantastic goals for yourself and realized many of them already. I thoroughly enjoyed the years I lived in the PI working from the deep South to Bagio.

Robert, I also walked my first Camino when I was 63 starting from SJPDP in April. I'm sure your walk along the Way will be a fantastic journey.

Good to see you again...Palma.

Buen Camino

Arn

Amado, You will have no problem completing the physical journey. I wish you well. I enjoyed Kevin Codd's book also. I am going on Camino at Easter, and offer it for a Phillipino lady who is very special to our family.

Buen Camino.

My family and I will be walking this summer. My son (26), daughter (23) and I will be leaving Chicago around June 26, and my husband will be joining us around July 19. We're planning on arriving in Compostela after the festival on the 25th, in the hopes that the crowds won't be as crushing. Any insight on that, or suggestions on a good midpoint to meet someone midway? Thanks!

MelodyE said:
Any ... suggestions on a good midpoint to meet someone midway? Thanks!

I see you have about 22 walking days befoare meeting your family.
I was able to walk from Saint Jean Pied du Port to Leon in 18 days, Pondferada in 22 days and O'Cebreiro in 24 days. And I was averaging over 25 kms per day.

If you choose to meet in Leon, and you arrive a couple of days early, there is tourist stuff to see.

I hope this helps.
David, Victoria, Canada

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We will be leaving SJPdP on April 14, hope to cross the Pyrenees via the Route Napoleon, but may have to cross via Valcarlos if the weather isn't cooperative. We're flying from Toronto to Boston for our connection to Paris, then taking the TGV to Bayonne the next day. We hope to then take the train to SJPdP (or more likely a bus if I understand correctly that the rail line is currently "temporarily" closed for repairs), stay overnight in SJPdP and start out the next morning. We've done our research (and this forum is a great source of information on all things relating to the Camino - thanks to all veterans for taking the time to provide us "newbies" tips and advice) but have lots of unanswered (and unanswerable) questions - weather conditions? full albergues? physical problems walking 25 +/- km/day? will our checked backpacks arrive when/where we do!?!?!?, etc. All we can say is we expect the Camino walk will be a great experience for both of us, assuming we survive it! We're both in our mid-50s, but have to believe even old(ish) dogs can learn new tricks.... :lol:

Look forward to seeing many of you on the way.

Buen camino.

Dick & Suzanne
Class of 2010

Well I am OFFICIALLY class of 2010, we just bought our plane tickets and I am SO excited. We have also decided to continue on to Finesterre, which I'm super excited about because I'll actually get to say I was in the Atlantic Ocean!
We're going on a giant shopping spree in about a month to buy most of our gear and supplies,a nd we leave Minneapolis on June 8th Starting in St Jean on June 10th, getting to Compostela just in time to miss/celebrate my niece/god daughter's first birthday. Though we've talked and she's ok with me missing her party.
I'll be buying my forum badge soon, and I hope I'll get to meet many other forum addicts like myself.

It's really happening! I can't believe it!

Class of 2010 inductee *raises hand*

Read the majority of the threads so far but only recently signed up to get practical advise.

You've all helped me so much already, so I'll try and show some gratitude inbetween silly questions.

Handed in my notice at work, sold my flat, all my possesions are being sold peice by peice.

27th March I'll be flying from Glasgow to Paris. SJPP by 28th with a day to get used to the reality before I set off.

First My Camino then the world.

xXx

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Reading various posts on the Forum today, I realized I really wish I was headed to Camino! I find myself thinking about my Camino experience frequently. So all of you who are planning and fretting and otherwise wondering what is ahead of you--it is something wonderful mixed with moments of sheer awfulness! And you will have a blast. Go with an open mind, open heart and hands willing to reach out and your experience will continue to feed your soul for a long, long time!

We will be leaving SJPdP on April 14, hope to cross the Pyrenees via the Route Napoleon, but may have to cross via Valcarlos if the weather isn't cooperative. We're flying from Toronto to Boston for our connection to Paris, then taking the TGV to Bayonne the next day. We hope to then take the train to SJPdP (or more likely a bus if I understand correctly that the rail line is currently "temporarily" closed for repairs), stay overnight in SJPdP and start out the next morning.

Ramble-on....50 ish is SO not in the OLD category - WAAAAYS off :lol:

I too, am leaving from SJPDP but I depart for my ascent into the Pyrenees heavens on Tuesday 13th April....but am arriving on Sunday afternoon 11th April. I have booked to stop in Orisson and will do 2 days to Roncesvalle - given the weather is likely to be "dodgy"!! If you are in SJPDP on Monday 12th April I would love to meet up with you - I am staying at the L'Esprit Chemin refugio.

What day are you arriving into SJPDP??

Buen Camino :p

Yay! I'm class of 2010. From Minnesota. Just bought tickets with my friend Carrie! Accidentally bought the wrong pack for me today and will be returning it shortly with better information in hand when I walk in the store! :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Everything is getting more offical by the day. Ranastar and I have just received our comfirmation at Esprit du Chemin in St Jean Pied du Port! This is really happening!

Catalinda said:
Everything is getting more offical by the day. Ranastar and I have just received our comfirmation at Esprit du Chemin in St Jean Pied du Port! This is really happening!

I copied the name of you hostel, and put it into my search engine to get their website. Their website is awesome and answers very specifically a lot of questions - especially on how to get from Biarritz to SJPP.

I highly recommend that people with questions check this website out.

Tim

Tim, Carrie, RanaStar, Jacqui...the bug is biting deep and you're happy about it!

Yup, the Camino has a way of generating excitement along every step of the Way:

learning of the Camino, finding the Forum, becoming a member of the Class of 2010 and actually buying your ticket.

Now...be prepared for "gray days" when you feel too cold/too hot/too sore/too tired...just too...too!

It happens to all of us at one point or another.

The key is to take note of your feeling...wrap yourself in the knowledge that all will reveal itself to you...at the next cross-road, the next cathedral, the next albergue...the next step you take. And press on!

Keep the excitement up...we are all here walking with you as you make your Way to Santiago. And, many of us are right behind you or just up ahead.

Buen "ain't it great!" Camino

Arn

hi walking sjpd on 20th 21 apil this year not sure to stay on night in sjpd or push
on john

Hi Everyone! I'm Danielle (Nelle for short), I'm 26, and from Boston, MA. Well, it's official, we've purchased our tickets and so Lindsay (twigsandribbons) and I will be joining the class of 2010! We'll be walking the camino frances from SJdPP getting in latish on June 14th to start our walk on the 15th. I'm so excited! It will be our first Camino. Linds has been wanting to go and has been researching forever while I'm relatively new to it all, but I'm so ready. Summer can't come soon enough!

Anyone else going at the same time? It looks like we'll just be missing you Catalinda! Maybe we'll see you in Santiago?

Buen camino everyone!

Nelle,

You have come to the right place. The folks out here are very friendly, have lots of answers, and are very patient to answer the silly questions us newbies keep asking.

I am going in March. I envey you because it will be nice and warm when you go, but to offset that, it will be very crowded. That being said, just think of all of the people you will get to meet.

So don't be shy. Ask whatever questions that come to mind, and someone out here will know the answers. Part of the journey is in the preparation. (Crap, now I am sounding like one of them :p )

Tim

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
johns said:
hi walking sjpd on 20th 21 apil this year not sure to stay on night in sjpd or push
on john
Hi John. Unless you arrive very early in SJPP, I would stay over for the night. The trip up the mountain is quite challenging and if you start early in the day, you will have more time to enjoy the glorious ssurroundings and taking the odd rest now and then! SJPP has a nice vibe and some good food to enjoy :D before starting off on your adventure. Buen camino! EMS

Hi,

I'm Kim (39 yrs) from San Francisco, CA, (well just south of there on the beach). My niece Tatum (28yrs old) and I are walking the Camino from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago. We are flying to Paris, taking a train to Bayonne, then a bus/car to St Jean on June 25th. We have a return flight for July 27th, but no other firm plans. Maybe a day or two in Mundaka to recuperate. Hope to get some tips and ideas here.

Kim

Did the Camino Frances in October/November 2007, but am wanting to do it in the high season and arriving for the Pilgrims' Mass on St. James Feastday. It will be a very different Camino. There were days in the meseta where I was totally alone--I don't think that will be the case this time, but that is my hope for this walk. Starting on 10 June in St. Jean and walking very slowly.

Tim-the-fat-Canadian said:
I am going in March. I envey you because it will be nice and warm when you go, but to offset that, it will be very crowded. That being said, just think of all of the people you will get to meet.

We're not too worried about it being crowded to be honest. We're going to bring a tent (thank goodness we get to split it between 2!), we're pretty easy going, and a good team besides. There's going to be a lot of planning going into everything beforehand, but once we're there we'll be able to take everything else as it comes at us. Any advice though is incredibly welcome! We're new at this and nervous, but very jazzed to go. Our friends are going to be very tired of hearing us talk about it before we head off in June! :roll:

Nelle

Hello,
I'm Susanna from Stockholm, Sweden. I am going to walk from Porto to Santiago, starting at the end of March. I am walking alone, and this is the first time on the Camino. I'm doing this walk for spiritual reasons, and I'm also very fond of church architecture.
This will be so fun!
Best wishes to all of you
Susanna

Well the last few days have added many more to the Class of 2010 (Nelle, Susanna,Antoinette,Kim, Tatum, John) ...may I wish you all Welcome!

I'm sure you've researched the Camino and the Forum for tid bits of info and reflections...may I suggest the following:

1. The Pilgrim FAQ at the top right of the page.
2. The Class of 2010 to see whom else may be walking the Way at the same time
3. The Camino Calendar at the bottom of the page will also show whom is walking, from where and it also lists key events along the Way.
4. There's also a "search" capability at the top right. You can enter a keyword, such as: "food", "refuge Leon" and it will search the Forum and return links.
5. Another great resource is:

http://www.mundicamino.com/

As you get closer to "step off" remember that the best laid plans will come up against, at some point, what the Camino has in store for you. And, after you leave...you will find that the Camino isn't finished with you at all.

Buen Camino,
Arn

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm Mark from San Francisco and I'm set (just bought the airline tickets!) to walk from May 19-June 23 (35 days on the road -- I hope that's enough time). Arriving in SJPP May 17 and staying two nights at L'Esprit du Chemin before leaving for Roncesvalles. Planning for this trip, I find that I spend half of the time excited and filled with anticipation, and half of the time filled with fear. I assume I'm not alone?

I'm confused about travel. I'm arriving in Biarritz (from London) on Monday afternoon. In order to get to SJPP, do I have to travel through Bayonne (by bus or train?)? Or is it possible to go there (SJPP) directly from Biarritz? Has anyone taken a taxi from the Biarritz airport to SJPP, or is that a silly thing to consider?

Or is it possible to go there (SJPP) directly from Biarritz? Has anyone taken a taxi from the Biarritz airport to SJPP, or is that a silly thing to consider?
Mark we did exactly that April 7th last year. Our first night was in L'Esprit . we had rung them before we left Australia and either someones friend or relative (can't quite remember!) ran a taxi/car service,the office is right near L'Esprit. We were collected when we got off the plane in Biarritz and they drove us to SJPP. Giving us a lot of local knowledge on the way!!. Can't remember the cost but well worth it.
Buen Camino :arrow:
Michele in sweltering hot Australia!! :D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well, it looks like my Dad and I are last-minute planners... we've been thinking about doing a camino for a long time, but it's only been a month or so since we decided to do it this May! We've already got our flights booked and our trip to Fatima figured out for before we start from Porto. Dad just got his passport :wink: I guess it's time to buy those shoes and break them in!
Cath
Victoria, BC

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We're planning to walk the Camino from Porto in late September. This forum is an absolute gold mine of info and one feels they are being welcomed into a special community. Many thanks to all who question and contribute!

Chris (in very snowy Vermont, USA
(I had posted this in the wrong place, not realizing that this thread was here... oh, well)

chrisinvermont said:
Chris (in very snowy Vermont, USA
(I had posted this in the wrong place, not realizing that this thread was here... oh, well)
Glad to see you have found the thread OK and welcome. Have you found the 2010 group over in the Albergue? Like you we plan to walk short stages, (I was reading your planning thread) as we too are senior citizens and I am a slow walker.
Buen Camino,
Tia Valeria

Arn,

Are you headed back this year to fill in any gaps? After the crutches, is everything healed? Not only are a lot of Forum friends going to be there, but tens of thousands of others.

Hi Class of 2010,
I'm hopping on a plane to Sevilla on 1.April and start walking the VdlP the next day. Anyone there with the same plan? Looking forward to see you!
Nelly

Dave, thanks for the info on where to meet midway; this really helps! I think we'll probably try for Pondferada; I'm hoping the 25 km/day will be doable for all of us. We're going in the high season (not necessarily by choice, but that's how it works out best for everyone to go), so that may slow us somewhat. But it's all good! Again, thanks.

Melody
Wheaton, IL USA

Stating from Le Puy on 7 May 2010,plan to walk to Conques then train to St Oloron and continue on Camino Aragonese as far as I can get in the time I have. Anyone else heading out from le Puy at this time ?

Yet another step has been made!

Sarah and I made a giant shopping trip to REI. I am now the proud owner of a Gregory Jade 35 litre backpack, a pair of La Sportiva hiking boots (which I wore at work today for about 2 hours) an awesome pair of Chaco sandals, a pair of hiking poles, and various other sundry items needed for the camino!

If anyone is looking for somewhere to buy gear I highly recommend REI, every single person we talked to was polite, highly knowledgeable, and didn't even get annoyed as I tried on my 10th pack, or my 15th pair of boots.

All I need now is to lose about 20 lbs, and gain about 10lbs of muscle in my legs!

Here's to wishing my camino started tomorrow!

OH! And Sarah and I decided NOT to start in St Jean. After much soul searching and some training, we've decided NOT to hike the Pyrenees, we don't want to get injured on the first day. I am a bit disappointed, but not as disappointed as I would be if I was DQ'd on the first day.

Hope to see a lot of you on the trail!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My tickets are purcahsed - leaving Toronto March 19th, arriving in London and then Birritz on March 20th - may arrive in SJPP on the 20th, or maybe the 21st, not sure yet.

I appreciate all of the tips and advice from the folks out here - now the proof will be in the puddin - or something like that - lets hope, no, pray, that the Camino will look after me - someone has to.

Hope to see some of you out there.

Tim

Tim:

I will be several days behind you. I am arriving SJPdP on march 24th and departing on my Camino the next day. Best wishes on your journey and maybe our paths will cross.

Joe Flavin

To Tim, the Canadian,
Ten days to go and counting... I bet you are getting nervous.
Have a wonderful experience!
See you in Granon...

To all the other April walkers,
I'll be in Granon as hospitalero in the albergue from April 1 to 15. Please drop in.
This is the first time for me, and I have all the jitters of a first time pilgrim.

As a friend said to me... I have been the river, now it is my turn to be the stone.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada

David -

Best of luck as hospitalero in Granon! May it be as wonderful and fulfilling as being "the river"!

lynne

Our packs are packed, all last minute items taken care of. We leave tomorrow for NYC to visit with our kids and Monday we fly to Paris. Hope to be in SJPP on the 18th and walking on the 19th. Anticipation is building!! :mrgreen:

All the best for a fantastic camino!

Be safe and go well.

lynne

Hello, I am from Texas!! A friend and I are planning on taking the tour the beginning of April after Easter. Wish I could do the whole Frances route, but will probably only do the last 200 or 250 km.

I'm off, I'm off....tickets booked, pack packed and now to dive into the pile of work to be got through before flying out in exactly 20 sleeps time. Count down. :D

20 Sleeps left - must be nice. I only have 8 sleeps left and somehow, I think I need to charish them as I suspect regardless where I sleep on the Camino, it won't be anything like my comfy bed and three thick pillows. I have set up a blog if anyone is interested in following me.

http://what-is-tim-up-to-now.blogspot.com/

Thanks for sharing your blog address Tim and I look forward to following you. You will probably sleep better than you think- the sleep of the exhausted walker! All the best,
Margaret

Nice blog, Tim. I too look forward to following your journey. You won't be lonely without your hawks, coyotes, and other assorted critters :) and you'll have a great walk!

Buen camino!

lynne

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Catalinda said:
If anyone is looking for somewhere to buy gear I highly recommend REI

Went that route in Portland, Oregon and bought a bunch of stuff. Got a Gregory as well, although it was a bit large (a 60 Baltoro that worked well despite its size), some mid-range boots, lots of socks, first aid kit, pack cover, leggings, PacSafe bag guard, hat, shirts, pants, underclothes, and so on. The REI staff were quite helpful, and my dividend next year was quite high... :wink:

Also got good gear in Bordeaux (Leki trekking poles, Nalgene water bottle, bug repellent) and Bayonne (poncho, bike gloves - walked, but they were helpful for the trek poles).

However, I ended up shedding the leggings, first aid kit, Pacsafe bag guard, and pack cover (and an REI bivvy sack I'd brought along as well). And by the time I reached Logrono, I had to lose the too-heavy boots I got at REI and bought a lighter pair of boots at the Planeta Aqua store there. The PA folks were very helpful, and I also got some great socks and another Nalgene 32-oz water bottle.

Anyway, it looks like you made better buying decisions than I did at REI - Buen Camino! :)

VT

Hi Tim,

I have set up a blog if anyone is interested in following me.

Thank you for setting up your blog, it is a pleasure to read it and look forward to following it up. I hope you have a good Camino and we are leaving from New Zealand (another Kiwi) for a week holiday in Toronto arriving there on 26th August, will be driving to see Niagara Falls with our friend.

I am glad that although my information was not accurate you have bought tickets to London for the Camino. We are flying from London Gatwick to Toronto on Airtransat. Stanstead is the usual Ryan Air London airport departing for Europe and there is ample information on how to get there from the other London airports and from London city.

Grandpa Joe

Grampa,

If you need any information about Toronto or Niagara Falls, or anything else, just ask.

Tim

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.