• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2011

tastrom said:
Hi Pilgrims,
I will start from SJPDP on September 9. I walked from Sarria to Santiago in June this year. I got so excited so I decided to walk the whole Camino now. Now in planning stage. Equpment and training.
Tom

Wecome to the Forum, Tom!

I sent you a PM, too.

Happy Planning!
annie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am planning to start my pilgrimage on August 19,2011, leaving from St. Jean Piedi.
Anyone who can give me an informations about the lodgings and shops to get good socks and the boots for better starts!

I am coming from Edinburgh.

hesooksong said:
I am planning to start my pilgrimage on August 19,2011, leaving from St. Jean Piedi.
Anyone who can give me an informations about the lodgings and shops to get good socks and the boots for better starts!

Welcome to the Forum!

There are many stores for trekking equipment in France/ Spain if you have to get last minute equipment. You should have bought the boots before and they should be broken in by now...

In SJPP an ecxellent boutique:
http://www.directioncompostelle.com/

In Pamplona:
Decathlon Pamplona: Avenida Guipuzcoa s/n, 31013 BERRIORZAR, Spanien
+34 948 30 95 95

In Burgos.
Decathlon Burgos
Parque Comercial Burgos, Carretera N1, Kilometro, 236, 09001 Burgos, Spanien
+34 947 27 91 27 ()

In Sarria:
http://www.peregrinoteca.com
C/ Benigno Quiroga, 16, 27600 Sarria, Spanien
+34 982 53 01 90 (Fax) ‎ · peregrinoteca.com

Equipment can be bought in Logrono, Santo Domingo, Castrojeriz, Leon, Portomarin, Arzua etc...

In fact nice equipment stores in the villages all along the Frances.

buen camino
annie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hesooksong:

Since you are not leaving for 3 weeks, I recommend you go to a local outdoor store in your area and have them fit you for the equipment you need. You should get your hiking shoes and break them in before starting on your Camino.

As far as lodging, there are municipal Albergues all along the Camino. If you are looking for other lodging, I am sure they can provide you with that information in the Pilgrim office in SJPdP.

Ultreya,
Joe

Thank you for the info. I'll do so as you advised. It is already a big help to know that there are concerned people around to help others on the way to Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello everyone!
I am hesook song from Korea/south. I am planning to walk the road to Santiago and am loking forward to it. In August I have a festival attend to at Edinburgh and will be coming from there to St.Jean Pied de Port to start my first pilgrimage.

Welcome to any suggestions for the beginner in this ENTERPRISE!

I am glad to be here.

hesooksong said:

If you are from Edinburgh then go to the running shop '(run and become' I think) on Dalry Road - close to Haymarket Station. I got a couple of pairs of twin layer socks from there. Just completed the Camino and had no blisters. Good luck

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well,

I've spent a few hours welcoming new members to the Forum and the Class of 2011 now I'm ready to declare my joining the Class of 2011.

Currently off the Atlantic coast of the USA on a sailboat with folks with disabilities and will soon be in port Winter Harbor, Maine. My son Chris (also a disabled vet and Marine) will join me soon and travel with me to Newport, RI and the National Disabled Sailing Program. A week in Newport and then a drive back to my farm in Virginia. Several hours in the barn going over my Camino gear...out with the old (too heavy) in with the new...lighter I hope.

I've got my tickets and some locations to stay...now planning my Camino Portuguese.

2008 seems like a life time since my first Camino along the CF, but then I look back on the many new friends I've made and those that have joined the Forum in the ensuing years and I know that the life of the peregrino never really ends.

October will come soon enough and I'll be back on the Way.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Hi Tom:
My son and I will start from SJPDP on Sept. 9 as well. Only going to Orisson the first afternoon. Taking an easy start. We may "bump" into you!!! Just about 4 weeks from now we leave Canada. Yahoo!
Carmel

I'm leaving SJPDP on August 15, which is less than a week away now. Getting really excited! :D Not sure yet whether or not to walk to Roncesvalles on the first day, or make a stop-over in Orisson. I'm reasonably well-trained, but I've been struggling a bit with my knees lately, and I'm afraid to overdo it in the beginning. I have two months to reach Fisterra, so I don't think time will be an issue anyway... I hope :wink:

Carmel,
I guess you need to book in advance to stay in Orrison. I have not decided yet wether to walk all the way to Roncesvalles or stay i Orrison. I hope to see you.
Tom

Carmel and Tom,

May I suggest you make the stop at Orisson. It's well worth it and a great way to begin. The distance isn't great but the Way is steep, the view and the supper to die for. Be sure to call ahead to book space.

http://www.refuge-orisson.com

I'm told that many folks have been married at this spot. I will admit I met a beautiful Swiss Miss but never got the courage to ask...oh, well!

Buen Camino

Arn

re: booking at Orisson. I tried to book a room there for a night during the 1st week of Sept and they were full. Based on this I've decided to take the valley route through Valcarlos and to stay at the Municipal Albergue there. I read a lot of people's posts that's it's very beautiful as well and at least I won't have to worry about not being able to make it on that 1st day. Long story short.... call Orisson now if you're thinking of it. Their answer may mean some changes in your plans.

Buen Camino -- ooh it feels exciting to say that!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've been lurking on these boards, getting loads of answers to my questions (this place is an amazing resource!) so I thought I'd say hello. I'm coming from Washington, DC USA and am planning to go from Astorga to Santiago starting September 26th. I'm beyond excited! I actually just decided to go last week after talking to someone who'd been, and since I have airline vouchers from being bumped off two flights, I can't think of a better way to use them (and also celebrate my 30th birthday).

SJH,
Welcome to the Forum!
Lurking isn't a bad thing so time to put your decision to work. Check out the many themes and links and start along the Way!
Buen Camino
Arn

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Arn, you will be familiar with the Afrikaans saying, " 'n boer maak 'n plan" - meaning, "a farmer makes a plan".
If Orrison is full, and the weather is clear, and you really want to walk that route, you can still walk to Orisson - just arrange for a taxi to collect you and take you back to St Jean for €3 (and back to Orisson the next day to continue walking).
If the weather is bad, walk to Val Carlos.

Distorted Camino planning is upon me. I am down to about 12 pounds, so I keep getting that thought, "toss in the screen tent, and you can camp some." Or, "one more shirt." There is some evil afoot to get me to ignore my own advice!! I realize again how difficult it is for a first time pilgrim, when a repeat offender has the same instincts.

falcon269 said:
Distorted Camino planning is upon me. I am down to about 12 pounds, so I keep getting that thought, "toss in the screen tent, and you can camp some." Or, "one more shirt." There is some evil afoot to get me to ignore my own advice!! I realize again how difficult it is for a first time pilgrim, when a repeat offender has the same instincts.

I have the same thoughts for the CP," maybe i should take my tent, what about my trangia, might as well throw my kettle in as well, how about one more shirt for looking smart when i get to Santiago, how about one more torch" etc etc. I might try to remember what my thoughts were when i sent home a parcel on both my caminos, i was quite ruthless both times, walking several days with quite a heavy backpack can sort out any whimsical ideas.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Carmel,
I will try to make a reservation in Orrison. Hope to see you in SJPDP. I am staying in Gite Ultreia the first night in SJPDP.
Tom

sjh106 said:
am planning to go from Astorga to Santiago starting September 26th. I'm beyond excited! and also celebrate my 30th birthday.
Our plan says that we should be in Rabanal del Camino on that day. If later on the journey you see two backpackers with Costa Rica labels, say hello! Ultreya!

Fraluchi,

Welcome to the Class of 2011.

As you already know, there's an excitement as you draw near to your Camino. Know that many have gone before...but this is your Camino.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh yes we did! It is the holiday weekend in Spain for the feast of the Assumption. Pilgrims are coming into the city non stop. The new system at the Pilgrims' Office is working very well indeed with queuing kept to a minimum.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Our plan says that we should be in Rabanal del Camino on that day. If later on the journey you see two backpackers with Costa Rica labels, say hello! Ultreya![/quote]

I will definately say hello! Not sure what identifiers I'll have yet but I hope to run into you.

falcon269 said:
And 1,936 today. It must be a mob scene!

Here isn the Pilgrims' Office we'd be very interested to hear the experience of pilgrims who have recently been to the new office -waiting times appear to us to be minimal compared to last year with two pilgrim offices functioning when it is busiest one to the right of the courtyard entrance and the second to the left - straight ahead is the left luggage and toilets. All very different to the previous 23 years where pilgrims waited for hours on the broad stairicase at Number 1. Future years may see people welcoming pilgrims into the courtyard, providing information and directing them to which queue is quickest.

My name is Lisa and I will be walking the Camino Frances accompanied by my good friend, Maureen, beginning Sept. 2nd, arriving in SCQ on my 49th birthday Sept. 6! We are from Virginia and our training grounds have been our lovely State Parks, both First Landing and False Cape, as well as the Back Bay Wildlife Refuge, where we have been hiking, walking and together sorting our various reasons for taking this journey...(other than feeling blessed simply to be able to do so!) Meeting like-minded travelers is one of my favorite reasons to embark on a journey, but seeking salvation is the core requisite for my efforts in every waking moment, and most of all to find and spread the message of love along this walk! IMHO, we're all just misfits trying to fit in, arent' we?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
mtcab said:
Hi Tom:
My son and I will start from SJPDP on Sept. 9 as well. Only going to Orisson the first afternoon. Taking an easy start. We may "bump" into you!!! Just about 4 weeks from now we leave Canada. Yahoo!
Carmel
Carmel,
I have made a reservation at Orisson on Sep 9. See you there.
Tom

LMCamino said:
My name is Lisa and I will be walking the Camino Frances accompanied by my good friend, Maureen, beginning Sept. 2nd, arriving in SCQ on my 49th birthday Sept. 6! We are from Virginia and our training grounds have been our lovely State Parks, both First Landing and False Cape, as well as the Back Bay Wildlife Refuge, where we have been hiking, walking and together sorting our various reasons for taking this journey...(other than feeling blessed simply to be able to do so!) Meeting like-minded travelers is one of my favorite reasons to embark on a journey, but seeking salvation is the core requisite for my efforts in every waking moment, and most of all to find and spread the message of love along this walk! IMHO, we're all just misfits trying to fit in, arent' we?

Hi Lisa,

I used to live in Norfolk-we were practically neighbors! (I'm in DC now) Are you arriving on October 6th? Or Sept 6th? If it's October-that's my birthday as well! I'm not sure when I'llbe finishing exactly, but it'll be right around that time.

Regards,
Shawna

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello,

I'm Alan from Scotland and 2011 is the start year of my camino, but not the end, I've walked with a friend from our home town of Linlithgow to Newcastle in England. The next stage is a ferry to Amsterdam on Septembe 1st then a month on the Pelgrims pad down to Belgium, I think we shall have to camp, I don't see much accommodation on route.
I shall have to wait till 2012 to walk France and Spain.
Looking forward to my own pilgrimage having read so much about others !

Hi jirit
I loved your photos, thank you so much for posting them. Im in the 'class of 2011' section under false pretences because Im not going till 2012 but had to respond to your post. The photos just made me want to get up and walk out the door and start now.
I can feel my feet twitching....roll on 2012.
karen

Jirit:

Nice Pics thanks for sharing.

Ultreya,
Joe

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am a first time pilgrim from Calgary Canada. Arriving SJPP aug 24. This is part of a 100 day walking trip for my 60th year Ireland where I am now then Camino then Bali.

I am trying to get my pack lighter and am grateful for all advice here. Wish i had found this sooner

A friend who walked in sep recommended waterproof pants. I have a light pair debating whether to ship them home before starting. I have been walking with my pack as much as possible while in Ireland.

Hey all!

I wil also arrive SJPP 24th. aug. Its my first time walking the Camino. But won't start walking before the next day, I'm arriving around 16.00 with the train. Im from Norway btw.

Im not taking with me any waterproof pants. I would recommend using quick drying pants, and a poncho when its raining.

-Chris

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Lisa and Maureen,

My last station was Little Creek and have, since retiring, moved to a farm up in King and Queen County. I know the trails of which you speak and they are beautiful, sandy in many places and a few hogs at False Bay.

For other Forum members in the VA/NC/DC/WVA/MD area..we hold a gathering near Colonial Williamsburg each Feb/Mar. Great food, wine and remembrances.

Buen Camino

Arn

I'm a repeat offender - completed the CF last year from SJPdP to Santiago. Less than 3 weeks to go for the second round! I'm flying to Paris, TGV to Lyon, then on to Le Puy for my start on the Via Podiensis on September 14. I'm really looking forward to the walking, the sights, the history, other pilgrims, the "locals" and the food (and wine!). More than a bit worried about the language, but I'm thinking it's a great opportunity to polish up on my high school French and will have a small English-French dictionary to help with vocab. Packing/re-packing my backpack to try to get the weight down to 6 or 7 kilos.

Hope to get to SJPdP and if time permits on to Pamplona. Yeah!

Bon chemin/buen camino to all.
Dick

All the best Dick for a wonderful second camino. I'm so envious...... for all those reasons you listed..... spot on. I got my pack down to about 8kg this year and it certainly helped. Hope you reach 6-7kg.
Buen camino. Carole.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Tom,

I am staring on the 10th. Hope to see you along the way.

-lee

hey everyone,keith here from Ireland,im arriving in sjpdp aug 31st in the evening as my flight doesnt land in biarritz till 3pm and the train from bayonne doesnt leave till 6.15 pm.I was hoping to find a few people to share a taxi from the airport to sjpdp but have had no luck yet.Is there anybody on here walking the camino the same time as me?Ill start walking sept 1st for 7 to 8 days as thats all i could take off work.Its a start anyway and ill come bk in a few months and continue from where i finish

Hi Zazee,
I am staying over in Orisson Sep 9. Perhaps we meet. I am both excited and a bit nervous.

hi there guys,
i'm leaving on the from st jpp on the 6th and over-nighting @orrisson as well.
just wondered if you have weighed your pack.

Mine is coming in at around 10kgs - 10 1/2kgs (not including water). For the life of me i can't see a way to get it any lighter due to the possibility of all weather conditions. Just wondered as you are walking in the same season as me if you were finding the same thing.

regards juju

Hi JuJu, yes me too! I've packed & repacked trying to reduce weight but can't seem to get it below 9.5kgs incl water but not incl bumbag with wallet, camera, guidebook etc.
We leave SJPP the day before you, so having same thoughts about being prepared for change of season while on way to SDC & Finisterre.
No doubt as a '1st timer', I'll find out as I go...but at this stage, I can't seem to 'pare' it back any more even after following packing lists found on the forum.
Had to take out my one 'luxury' item the other day, the coil water heating element to make a cup of tea!!!
Cheers
Shawn

That sounds pretty good to me Shawn, i'm still coming in at 11 + 1/2 kg with water + bum bag stuff...... my luxury item is a very small pillow, essential for me for sleep.I guess u are right, we will find out along the way. I haven't included thermals but i do have a fleece (220 grams), a merino thin top and a merino vest for the cold. My foot products weigh a bit too, then there is the gortex jacket and gaiters.... an extremely light weight diary and a guide book... all seem essential items at this stage. On Monday i am going through everything with a friend to see what i can discard..... i'm even using a chux instead of a travel towel!!!! I have been training with 14kgs, so hopefully 11 will feel light over the 40 or so days!!! Thanks for sharing your pack info, regards juju

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Shawn,

When I was trying to get my weight down I looked at my little one cup imersion for making that cuppa and the plastic mug and the tea bags. It was a luxury. But I thought that I might less regret taking it than leaving it behind. I took it, and was soo very glad to have it and will always take it with me.

Having said that my weight was down to about 6 kg, not counting water and daily food.

Could you get a lighter rucksack?

Buen Camino,
Lydia

Shawn, juju and other friends!
The secret of how to keep the weight of your rucksack down is a packing list!!! You don´t have to bring more than you really need! The rest can be bought in Spain IN CASE you need it! The more experienced pilgrims than me will think I have many items they would leave at home.

This is my packing list for April - (September should be comparable with April):
(April)
*Vaude Tour 40L Women´s 1400 g
*Altus rain- jacket pocho 430 g
*sleeping bag 450 g (down)
*LifeSystems bed bug sheet 100 g
*towel 115 g
*gaiters 300 g
*spork 10 g
*pegless clothesline 90 g = 2585 g

*old joggers for the evenings and alternative walking shoes 320 g
*flip- flops for the shower room 140 g

*1 Arcteryx technical T- shirt 77g
*shorts Peak Performance 225 g
*summer dress 150 g
*undies & bra x1 + bikini
*leggings Icebreaker GT Tech base layer
*Seger Trekking Light (Unisex) x2 socks

*guide book John Brierley 304 g
*a note book + pen

*2 zip-locks
*sun- screen Lancome SPF 50 150 ml 150 g
*deodorant, mascara, tooth brush, tooth paste, paracetamol, diclofenac, antihistamin, Compeed, Resorbx2, hair conditioner 100ml, soap bar + case, nail brush

*cell phone, camera + chargers 135 g + 456 g
*day bag

About 7 kg without water.

Wearing:
*cap green military style 150 g
*1 Icebreaker T- shirt
*shorts Peak Performance (capri) 280 g
*1 Silkbody long-sleeve very thin cardigan (good for the hot days as a sunscreen, too)
*1 Arcteryx Caliber Hoody long- sleeve cardigan for travel 313 g
*hiking boots Keen Targhee mids 482 g
*Seger Trekking Light (Unisex) socks
*undies & bra x1

Thanks for your list Annie, I'll have another go at mine. I can see that having 'lighter' items must help keep it down eg my sleeping bag & liner is 780g.....I guess some extra grams here & there soon adds up.
Lydia my pack is Osprey Aura 35 l, weight 1.16kg, not sure if thats heavy or light? Looks like I'll just have to get more ruthless so I can definitely take the cup of tea immersion coil!!
Cheers
Shawn

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Annie Thanks for posting your list. My bag is packed and since I'm leaving this Saturday not a day goes by that I don't add something and remove something. It's the old "what can I really live without?" routine. I had to smile at myself that you had mascara on your list. I secretly had tweezers and eyebrow pencil hiding in my bag. After I watched Neil's Camino documentary I tried to picture myself there and found the image of my carefully fixing my eyebrows rather amusing. :lol:

Packing for the Camino certainly involves some soul searching about the things and images in our lives that we're attached to. I did a practice run by going to a movie the other day 'make-up-free' and found it rather liberating. Bushy eyebrows..... here I come! :D

Shawn, exactly right. Having lighter and fewer items is the secret. You do not have to purchase the expensive brands, whatever wicking material will do the same thing. The tech shirts and shorts are comfortable, light- weight and after the laundry they get dry before you go to bed. So light- weight that you could bring along an extra one if you would like to do so.

September will probably not be colder than April. The wind was freezing cold only one morning in April when leaving El Burgo Ranero around 0630 in the morning. I was wearing all the clothes (double everything) in layers. At that time I didn´t own an Altus, so my rain coat was my wind- breaker. After a couple of hours walking when the sun came up it got ´hot ´ again maybe 28°C. So wear layers the merinos (mine are Icebreaker) undermost.

And one night in an albergue was cold despite my sleeping bag - but I was lucky there was an extra plaid for me.

My rucksack is quite heavy (1450g) but it fits my back and hips like it was made for me. Easy to carry, doesn´t really bother me at all. Easy to tighten or loosen the straps according to if I walk uphill, downhill or on plain terrain. It is more like part of me on the camino.

So leave most things you think you might need at home. They are eay to replace in Spain if you really need them.

catherinemccoy said:
Annie Thanks for posting your list...I had to smile at myself that you had mascara on your list.
Well I have to admit I do not use it every day...And another extra (heavy one) is hair conditioner.

buen camino
annie

Hi all. Yep counting down the last week Myself too. Lurking around the forum long enough to have sorted out most everything. Have to admit I absolutely love the veterans and their attitude to helping the novices. Fair play to you lads and lasses, great stuff. Hope I meet lots of you on the way.
Me poor auld dog will be heartbroken when I disappear for five weeks. will probably put on as much weight as I lose. I'm delighted to say I have me daughter Tanya travelling with me. Like most young people, she knows it all. Has just about broken in her Walking boots and reckons she'll leave her old Da for dead in the Pyrenees. I keep having visions of having to roll her down the hill to Roncevalles. This is going to be one interesting trip. I have spoken through the forum to a few people Setting out about the same time as ourselves. looking forward to many an interesting conversation with ye all. Particularly Catherine from Canada. Quite a few Canadians on this forum actually.. Not so many Irish, which confuses me a wee bit. Cos we travel EVERYWHERE. This last week or two, as Friends, Family, and various other miscreants have discovered our plans, I'm getting so much feedback about other peoples plans to do the Camino next year. If this rings true everywhere, the Frances is in serious danger of meltdown. Glad we're going "next week". Ahhh that sounds brill. "next week". Have a truely excellent Camino everybody, and I hope you get from it what you need. Be it spiritual or whatever...... Slan go fol.... Jimmy C.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Geez Jimmy C. I've got a French translator and a Spanish translator, and now I'll have to find an Irish translator! And don't be too sure.... Tanya and I might be rolling you down that hill :) Slan go fol (or in Canadian, Bye for now!)

Go well and safely, you and your daughter, Jimmy C.

May you have the time of your lives!

Buen camino!

lynne

Hi Shawn,

I also had a 35 litre bag weighing 1.6 kilo. I went out and bought a 30 litre Lowe Alpine with a plastic frame. It weighs only 1 kilo. I agonised a bit over the price but then realised that it worked out at 10 cent per kilometre and decided that 'I was worth it.'

It also meant I could not be tempted to add stuff.

I detoured to Santo Domingo de Silos (65 klm from Burgos) and was tempted to buy some books about the monastery, but as soon as I got the bus back to Burgos I posted them on to Santiago to the Hostal where I had made a reservetion

Buen Camino

Lydia

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi All!

The Camino Frances has been on the backburner for few years now, and I have found myself with about 6 weeks to spare, starting Sept. 14th!
I do not like to plan things out too much, so the idea is just to buy plane ticket to Madrid, then once there catch a train/plane to Pamploma, then ride with Express Bouricot to SJDPP and start walking!

Question, is this practical or do I need to pre-arrange my way to SJDPP, and also reserve a room in SJDPP? I like to be spontaneous and not think things to death :wink: I also think less is more while traveling....... Any comments/thoughts would be appriciated! Thank you!!

Mark

Hi Mark

so many people get tied down with plans-I know I did on my first walk-"but I was so much older then I'm younger than that now"
your post was the most refreshing thing I've read all week,its not very practical but so what,I think you already have the feel for the Camino,so just go for it-you will love it
have fun pilgrim
buen Camino
Ian

Mark,

Old Marine adage: "Better a good plan today than the perfect plan never."

I would consider two preplanned items...book ahead for a room in both SJPDP (L'Esprit du Chemin http://www.espritduchemin.org/English/welcome.html and Orisson (http://www.refuge-orisson.com).

That will allow you to get your feet on the ground and sufficient time to speak with the pilgrim office in SJPDP, the great folks at the L'Esprit and, after a short, but invigorating trek up into the Pyrenees...sufficient time to gather your thoughts, adjust your pack, make a few friends and have a great pilgrim supper in Orisson. From there, it's uphill and along the Way.

Buen Camino

Arn

sagalouts said:
"but I was so much older then I'm younger than that now"
Ian

I love this line Ian. I'm going to borrow it!

My plan leave tomorrow for Paris and last night I was out for some last minute training, with my dog and wearing my pack. She saw a cat ..... skip forward through serious of strange events ..... my face ended up saying hello to the concrete. Last night I spent 9 hours at the hospital getting my skin 'glued' back together and ex-rays on my skull. Did not tell the doc that I'm walking 800 km and I will be on that plane! So if you see a woman who looks like she's been beaten... not to worry; it's just me :D

Good grief Catherine! Are you in pain? I'm so sorry you've had this accident!

Don't worry about how you look, as long as you can still walk, I say "Go for it"!

Go well and safely (from now on)!

lynne

PS Here are the rest of the lyrics - a great song..

My Back Pages (Bob Dylan)

Crimson flames tied through my ears
Rollin’ high and mighty traps
Pounced with fire on flaming roads
Using ideas as my maps
“We’ll meet on edges, soon,” said I
Proud ’neath heated brow
Ah, but I was so much older then
I’m younger than that now

Half-wracked prejudice leaped forth
“Rip down all hate,” I screamed
Lies that life is black and white
Spoke from my skull. I dreamed
Romantic facts of musketeers
Foundationed deep, somehow

Girls’ faces formed the forward path
From phony jealousy
To memorizing politics
Of ancient history
Flung down by corpse evangelists
Unthought of, though, somehow

A self-ordained professor’s tongue
Too serious to fool
Spouted out that liberty
Is just equality in school
“Equality,” I spoke the word
As if a wedding vow

In a soldier’s stance, I aimed my hand
At the mongrel dogs who teach
Fearing not that I’d become my enemy
In the instant that I preach
My pathway led by confusion boats
Mutiny from stern to bow

Yes, my guard stood hard when abstract threats
Too noble to neglect
Deceived me into thinking
I had something to protect
Good and bad, I define these terms
Quite clear, no doubt, somehow

Copyright © 1964 by Warner Bros. Inc.; renewed 1992 by Special Rider Music

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Catherine,

Very sorry to hear of your mishap. But look at it this way. Good thing that you did not hurt your legs, knees, ankles, or feet.

The head and face just go along for the ride. And when the hostels see you and you can tell them that you were battered by banits in the bushes like 100 years ago on the trail, they for sure will find a bed for you. So you will never had to worry.

Good luck on the beginning of your journey tomorrow and I hope that you have great weather.

Tim

Hi,

I am Francis Corrigan. The idea of walking 25 Kms each day is outside my comfort zone. Being on my own is outside my comfort zone. Living communally in dormitories is outside my comfort zone.

So I am starting in SJPDP on 5th October (dv). and have committed to myself to do at least 2 weeks. The rest is for fate/God/my spirit to work out.

If you see me, be gentle!!

Francis

Francis, welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2011.

October is a great month to begin walking the Way.

No need to walk 25 KM a day. Move as the Camino urges.

You are never really on your own...plenty of peregrinos along the Way. You will meet new friends every day.

Communial living is like having a sleep over...with the exception you actually sleep.

As to how long you will walk...trust the Camino to guide you along.

Buen Camino

Arn

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Well, it's happing again and I should have expected it!

I've begun to: cough, sneeze, head is stuffed, ears ringing...all the classic signs of a really bad cold, or the flu.

So, I've got the usual OTC drugs and home remedies:

OTC drugs: dayquil and nitequil, aspirin, kleenex tissues, etc

Home remedy: a fine single-malt whisky and a dab of honey

The question is: Am I really sick?

I know that there is a correlation between stress and illness. I also know, at least in my case, there's a correlation between going on an exciting adventure and getting sick.

Years ago, I came down with an "apparently" severe cold, or flu (sound familiar). My wife, a beautiful South African (now departed...drat) was talking with my Mom and relating the sudden illness. Taking a minute, my Mom asked Ida, "Is Arn going somewhere special soon?".

Ida mentioned that, indeed, I was departing within a week for three months in African and the Middle East. Mom told Ida, not to worry because I always get sick just before I depart because I'm worried I'll miss out because I may get sick.

So, here I sit, bundled up, speaking thru my nose, a fine single malt at hand and it's only 0943.

Next Saturday I depart for my next Camino and I should be completely cured before I step on the plane.

Buen " it's never too early to begin drinking...it's already afternoon in South Africa" Camino

Arn

Arn said:
I know that there is a correlation between stress and illness. I also know, at least in my case, there's a correlation between going on an exciting adventure and getting sick.

Oh, I know this from somewhere :roll:
But in my case I don't have the luck that this illness of anxiety ends before the beginning of the "adventure". It just keeps on rumoring in my head every day and I have to fight it constantly...
(this is very connected to the thread I opened today in the health section: medical-issues-on-the-pilgrimage/topic11795.html)

Hello all,

My name is David and I'm from the USA, although I've been working overseas on cruise ships since March 2011 in the Caribbean and the Mediterranean. I'm walking from Barcelona to Santiago, starting November 25th and finishing sometime in January . . . which might make me class of 2012, I'm not really sure! haha.

Nice to meet you all.

Hello David! Welcome. I made my Camino this summer -- it was one of the most difficult AND the most amazing things I've ever done. I wish you much joy and many blessings in your journey! Let us know how we may be of help to you as you plan your Way. And Buen Camino :D

Hello everyone so what has happened to this site seems no class 0f 2012 has this site gone out of vogue? Just seems we to have drastically changed. I was wanting info on the Eurail and if anyone has taken advantage of this? Many thanks I trust this New Year will be one of many great opportunities for everyone.
n+ :arrow:

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.