• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2012

Meredith1 said:
JAMC said:
...I have never travelled on my own, can't speak the language have difficulty reading a map and have very limited walking experience, why oh why do I feel so driven to do this, I've never felt so sure about something in my whole life???

JAMC, I feel much the same way as you. I plan to go in September, have bought my shoes, expect my backpack to arrive in a couple of days, and then will start training -- and hope that my training doesn't reveal any problems.

Buen camino to us both!

Meridith, you do not need to wait until you backpack arrives. Start walking now. I am also beginning at the first of September.

http://www.timscamino.blogspot.ca

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
JAMC, experienced walkers weren't born that way. We all started at some time and know exactly how it feels to set off alone for the first time.

The extent of my Spanish was hello, goodbye, please and thank you. Mime goes a long way! You don't need to be a map reader, simply follow the arrows. You'll soon learn when you would expect to see one and, if you start feeling uneasy because it's been a while, backtrack to the last one you saw. That advice is only necessary if you are alone and can't see anyone in front of you. If there's 50 people ahead of you just assume they know where they're going! :)

Don't worry about why you feel the need to go. The Camino often works like that and tells you when it's time. All will be revealed as you walk.

Many pilgrims set off and build up their fitness as they walk but it will be more enjoyable initially if you walk regularly to build up your fitness a bit before you leave.

I' Anna from Stockholm. This summer I will do the third stage of a long bike trip, which will eventually take me to Santiago de Compostela. By then I will be in at least "Class of 2013", or possibly 2023 or 2033.
The next stage begins in Germany (Duisburg) and I hope to reach Paris and maybe Bordeaux.I've started a blog (in English) about my preparations for the adventure:
http://backpacktant.wordpress.com/

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello fellow pilgrims! I am walking "The Way" from St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago to Finnesterre to Muxia. I arrive in St. Jean on May 22nd and begin my camino the following day. I am from Boston, USA and have been planning this hike since late October, 2011 after seeing the movie The Way after a telephone call from my mother who told me I had to see this movie. I was a bit skeptical when she told me I had to do this walk. Having just completed the 100 Mile Wilderness Hike of the Appalachian Trail in Maine only two months earlier, I was planning a return hike of Southern Maine.

Then, I saw the movie. While I understand the difference between a fictional account, I was drawn to the spiritual element of the movie. I can only describe the movie as a transformation. I do not even know, nor can I explain why I am doing this other than to say it is the right thing for me to do at this point in my life. I have the support of my wife who is as excited as I am to begin this journey, only I am leaving her behind for six weeks. It is probably because I have devoted a lifetime to my family and never counted myself into the equation that she is giving me this gift.

I have my airfare to Paris and Bordeaux and train tickets to St. Jean Pied de Port and accomodations my first night there. I cannot wait for this journey to begin. Who knows what "The Way of St. James" will teach me and what I will learn from it. I just know this, I have to make this pilgrimage. I will learn the reason why when that moment presents itself.

Buen Camino from Boston, MA. John

Stephen Nicholls said:
Hi Becca!
You're obviously in for a wonderful experience. Remember September will be very hot in northern Spain though possibly cool in the mountains. Take a few layers and you'll be fine.

Hi Stephen
Thank you so much for clarifying the weather in September - I wasn't sure what to expect. That settled my agonizing about jacket/no jacket, what kind of jacket/how heavy a jacket (I'm very cold natured). I am so excited about this trip.

My little backpack is all packed (weighs in at 9 pounds), my patch arrived and I'll sew it on, seam seal the stitches and then force myself to wait (and not drive everyone completely mad) until September.

Arlene - I'm getting the "eye roll" thing too! I don't think anyone I know could tolerate me if I were planning this trip for longer than a few months ~smile~

Everyone - thank you so much for all of your information. I totally love reading about your travels and I have a lot of notes on advice given on numerous topics from the many discussions hither and yon. Thank you everyone!

Hi John From Boston,
My name is David I'm here in Rhode Island and will be on the Northern Route from Irun in late September.
I was wondering what your thoughts were for the return trip to Boston? Back to Paris by train?
Look forward to any suggestions.
David

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
John,

Consider an "open jaw" (multi-city) ticket. Wherever you fly into (Paris, Madrid) from Boston, consider flying back from SDC.

I'll be in Newport, RI the first three weeks of June down at Ft. Adams with the adaptive sailing program.

Arn

Hi fellow 2012'ers:)

I'm slowly finding my way around the forum and find it a wonderful place to lose an hour or even more....

I'll be starting in SJPP on June 16th and plan to go on to Leon before returning to my current home to Singapore via my original home of England. I then hope to be back in October to finish...

This has been on the list for a long time and i have just spent some time shopping having used much of the advice on the site. It didn't stop me however being the one guy in the shop who they could have sold anything to. I really am clueless on trekking:). However I now have a new bag of stuff - literally - and can't wait.

I'll be easy to spot because with my sense of direction i'll be the one with lots of new gear walking off completely the wrong way, so if you see me - please turn me round...

Mark

Hi fellow Pilgrim's,

Graham and Bernie from Wellington NZ,

Yay! only weeks to go before the rubber hits the dirt, we foget the months of planning, and start our pilgrimage,

We are sooooo looking forward to the experince and to meeting fellow pilgrims and sharing life laughs and experiences (with the odd wine as well :D )

We arrive in SJPDP on the 9th of may and you wont miss us as we will be the two tall (both 6'4'')good looking ones with Kiwi accents :wink: :p

While we have tonnes of energy and a resonable base fitness the last few months have been busy selling our home and visiting family before we depart, via America (more family) for the Camino.

Couple of questions for the guru's out there...

1. do you play rugby on the Camino? :wink: ...

2. Is it best to do SJPDP to Roncesvalles in one day.

3. mosquito nets at night? - yay or nay... what say you guru's

Over and out for now..

Graham

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Class of 2012!
I'm Lynette from New Hampshire and I'll be joining the ranks :) My plan is to depart the States on September 15 and start in StJean on the 17th arrive in Santiago on October 22 and attend services on the 23rd then continue on to Finisterre. My patch arrived today and I'm chomping at the bit to buy my backpack; however, in order to motivate myself I'm waiting till I accumulate a total of 200 foot mileage. I've managed 35 miles in the past two weeks walking home from work and looking to pick up more mileage in the following weekends. *lol* I put my four legged mutt in a puppy pack last weekend and walked 5 miles in the rain with his 15 pounds and no ill effects the next day. I did get a lot of comments :roll: as we walked *shrug* Needless to say I know my backpack won't randomly kiss me and give me the "lovey eyes" to keep me motivated but these memories I plan to take with me on "My Way". My heartfelt thanks to all of the contributors of the forum..the support and advice..amazing and truly appreciated! Buen Camino fellow pilgrims.

Hi Everyone,

Only two weeks to go! I'll be arriving in SJPP on the 20th of April and plan on starting my Camino on the 21st. I've picked up all the items from my packing list and can't wait to start.

Buen Camino,

John

:D

Hello David: My return flight to Boston will be from Vigo airport with connection in Paris. Vigo is about an hour and a half south of Santiago de Compostela by train which is what I am planning to do and then take a taxi to the airport. I booked the flight this way because for me it was the most direct way back to Boston. I could not find a direct flight from Santiago to Boston. I did look into Aer Lingus but the flight out of Santiago would have required me to stay overnight in Dublin before returning home.

Hello Arn: Thank you for the travel tip. You mentioned "adaptive" sailing. My wife does volunteer work with disabled veterans in adaptive sports programs.

This forum is wonderful and a great tool to use when planning your own camino. Best to all on your own journey. John

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
To all you pilgrims presently walking or planning on walking, do it! I have recently learned of the camino de compostela, via the movie THE WAY with Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez.

Wow, My wife and I are hooked, and we long for the day when we can do this, we are pretty ready right now, but finances prevents us from just jumping into it at this moment. Hopefully we can do it next year.

To all out there, may God be with you every step of THE WAY!

I will think about a lot of you, and hope to follow your journeys as you post them.

Best to you all!

Via Con Dios!

Richard

Hello! My name is Andi and I'll be starting my first ever Camino on (probably) the 4th of May. I have my airline tickets, passport and everything set. I am still slightly nervous about my physical condition (leftover back issues from an injury several years ago), but i plan to take the trip at my own pace, and have scheduled plenty of time to complete the walk. I'm 36 years old from San Diego, married to a loving and very supportive guy (obviously, to give me the trust, understanding, and freedom to make this journey alone), with no kids, and currently no job.

I traveled alone through Spain the summer after college, and during Sanfermines in Pamplona, i first heard of the Camino, and it's been something i've wanted to do ever since. I love Spain, especially the northern parts and Basque country, and it always seems to be calling me back whenever i see news or pictures or stories from others who have been there recently. Due to some personal things going on in my life, I feel like now is the time and the Camino is the method to answer that call.

Looking forward to my final few weeks of prep (my dog just LOVES all the walks she gets to go on!).

Hope to see some of you out there =)

Andi

skydiver8 said:
Hello! My name is Andi and I'll be starting my first ever Camino on (probably) the 4th of May. I have my airline tickets, passport and everything set. I am still slightly nervous about my physical condition (leftover back issues from an injury several years ago), but i plan to take the trip at my own pace, and have scheduled plenty of time to complete the walk. I'm 36 years old from San Diego, married to a loving and very supportive guy (obviously, to give me the trust, understanding, and freedom to make this journey alone), with no kids, and currently no job.

I traveled alone through Spain the summer after college, and during Sanfermines in Pamplona, i first heard of the Camino, and it's been something i've wanted to do ever since. I love Spain, especially the northern parts and Basque country, and it always seems to be calling me back whenever i see news or pictures or stories from others who have been there recently. Due to some personal things going on in my life, I feel like now is the time and the Camino is the method to answer that call.

Looking forward to my final few weeks of prep (my dog just LOVES all the walks she gets to go on!).

Hope to see some of you out there =)

Andi

Hello Andi!

Welcome to the CSJ forum! I am certain that you will find much helpful information here as you plan your Camino.

Past pilgrims are always eager to share their experiences and tips.

Which Camino route are you planning to take? May will be a busy month but a very beautiful one for walking.

Buen Camino!

Margaret

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
thank you =)

I'm doing the Camino Frances, I'm arriving at Paris on may 2nd, then heading to St. Jean from there. I will probably start on May 4th to allow time for jetlag and travel.

I see lots of people making lots of reservations...is this 100% necessary? I tend to "wing it" when i travel, and it's worked for me fine in the past. I suppose i enjoy the freedom it represents (in my mind), but if it is necessary i'll do it.

Thanks, and looking forward to learning!

Andi

Hi Class of 2012--

I'm Marilyn, and will be starting from Leon with my husband Charlie, from AZ and good friends Jo and Rick, from NV on May 2nd. I was introduced to the Camino by my French friend, Alain, who told me it was not "IF" he would complete the Camino, but "WHEN". It was his lifelong dream. I said, "WHY NOT? We'll go with you."

We all planned to begin from SJPdP in April 2012. We didn't make it. Alain was killed in a tragic car accident last July. His wife was seriously injured, and I've been helping her piece her life back. Our Camino was put on the back burner, maybe for never.

After 4 months, we decided to complete our journey, as the call of The Way became stronger. We've been hiking with our full packs to strengthen our legs & backs, working out at the gym to build our stamina (58 & 63). We expect the albergues to stretch our comfort zone some, but plan to go with the flow, and grow in the process. :wink:

We will carry a pilgrim's credential for Alain, and get it stamped along The Way. Without meeting Alain, I don't know if we would be going on our Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It has been a while since I have read the Class of 2012 and am amazed, super amazed at how many people are going to the Camino this year. WOW! I hope everyone has their patch on their rucksack to identify yourself as being from this incredible forum.
Lillian

Spirithealer said:
Hi Class of 2012--

I'm Marilyn, and will be starting from Leon with my husband Charlie, from AZ .

Hi Marilyn - where in AZ are you from? I'm from Tucson and surely would love to meet up with some others in the area who are interested in walking the "Way".

Debinq said:
hi Elizabeth

You may like to check out where an group of Oz pelegrinos regularly meet - a few years ago it was in the Spanish Club in Liverpool St (Sinny CBD)

and there's the A-NZ special forum on Camino around the World to log onto ... lots of info there
australia-and-new-zealand/

hope it all goes swimmingly for you

buen camino
Peter

Hi All,

The Sydney group still meets once a month in the Spanish Club, also, Trek and Travel (adventure travel store) is holding a talk on the Camino on the 17th April, i think it is at 6.30pm... I will try to go.

The movie The Way open in Australia a day or two AFTER I leave for my own Camino (I think it opens nationally on the 26 April 2012). So I will miss it.

I am 34, female, live in Sydney and this is my first Camino... I will start from St Jean on the first week of May 2012.

See you there!

Gueza
(pronounced: guess-A)

Hi to all 2012 pilgrims,

It seems that there are thousands of us going this year and I look forward to meeting some of you.

However it seems that only one other forum member is leaving St. Jean on the same day as I will be starting, May 8th and I do look forward to meeting her.

If we all got our names on the calender we would know who to look out for.

Buen Camino to you all,

Lydia

Hi Lydia,
i have tried on several attempts to get our name on the calendar (as we are leaving SJPP on the 9th)

I believe the updates from Falcon are about a week late at present.. As notified in anpother post

So the calendar is not an accurate device at the moment but soon will be. (as much as people use this forum and the calender)

Cheers

Graham

Hi john,
Thanks for the travel ideas. It looks like return from Lisbon to Boston is a good option for Me ad well. I hope you will have time to meet with me when you are in Newport, I live just over the bridge, in June.
David from RI

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello, My name is Jerry.I am from Ohio. USA I hope to start my walk in June 2012. I will be tenting most of the nights. I hope to meet some of you. I hike with the name jerbear! Yo bear!

I'll be walking my first, and hopefully not last, Camino beginning shortly after I arrive in Barcelona on May 18. I'll take a bus from there to Montserrat, where I'll begin the walk after a couple of days to get over the jet lag. (I'm coming from Chicago.)

I've been planning on doing this for about 10 years, and am finally in the position of being able to do so. I just left my career as a project manager and will look for a contract to teach English as a foreign language outside of the U.S. after the Camino. I'd love to work in Spain, but we all know what the chances of that are. Assuming a miracle doesn't happen (finding work in Spain), I'll look for a position in any Spanish speaking country so I can improve my language skills while continuing to look for some way to work and live in Spain, my ultimate goal.

I'll be making the pilgrimage by myself as a spiritual journey - a bridge between my old life and the new.

See you there.

Hello everyone! I've been a long-time lurker on the forum and it has been really helpful as I prepare to start the Camino on July 2nd. I'm Jess and I'm a teacher from Connecticut (U.S.A.) and I'm really looking forward to the journey and meeting other pilgrims!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello David: Newport Rhode Island is perhaps a little more than an hour from my house so we can get together to compare notes. I am leaving Boston on May 21 and returning home June 29. I would be happy to tell you all I find out on this journey after I come home or compare notes on what I have learned from this forum before I go. I found this website and forum and find it incredibly valuable. I return to it often and read as much as I can. I leave in only 40 days and can't wait. :D John

Ready to go 24 APR. Walking Via del Norte to Sebrayo and then Via Primitivo to Melide to connect with the Francés for the final 2 days. Feeling both ready and unprepared. I am set as far a Biarritz and plan on the first night in Hondarribia--probably 26 APR. Then it's open. First time. Wish i knew some Euskara.
Buen Camino to all.
bill

Hi Everyone,

I am Martha from Jakarta, Indonesia. I'll be travelling alone and start from SJPP on May the 7th.

Just know the Camino exists on last December by watching a tv episode in Nat Geo Adv, and think I should do this. I read the Pilgrimage book by Paulo Coelho many years ago (in fact all his books), and only until then, I know the path is not fictional (what did I read actually?) :oops:
My friends told me I'm a little bit crazy with my plan, going to Europe and torturing myself just to walk hundred of kms.

Last month, when I was in Japan and visit the 26 Martrys Museum, the first thing I saw when the door is opened is St. Asisi statue with Camino's dress, and it's quite suprise me, it may be the time.

I wish you all a safe and blessed journey,
Martha

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
hi everyone walking lisbon porto santiago/ starting first may hopeing to make vilafranca de xira on day one 8)

Hi Spirithealer,

I did my first Camino (SJPP to SDC) from June 25 to July 31, 2009 in honor of my mother, Maria Salome, who died on the 16th of January 2009. The Camino gave me the time and the space to mourn her death and to celebrate her life and love. The Camino was truly a blessed experience for me. I did the Camino again last year from Le Puy to SDC in 71 days (August 18 to October 27, 2011) and this time to celebrate 30 years as a religious and 20 years as a priest and also in anticipation of my 50th birthday this September. Throughout the Camino I have met co-pilgrims who did the Camino in memory of a departed loved one and their stories were both inspiring and comforting.

May your Camino honor and celebrate the life and memory of your dear friend, Alain. Having a credencial in his name and having it stamped along the way is such a brilliant and loving idea.

Buen camino,
Manny D

Cheryl and I (David) will be starting from SJPDP on September 5. Arriving Madrid and staying overnight in Pamplona the day before and hoping there are others wanting to use Express Bouricott for the ride to SJPDP morning of the 5th. Have as feeling there'll be a few, but never too early to ask. We're 63 & 62 and from northern New Hampshire and have been inspired by older friends who've done it several times. Have read and re-read forum threads and think we're in good shape gear-wise. Good luck to all, I'm sure we'll be back on with questions, etc.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Cheryl and (David)
Welcome to the Forum.
September will come in no time. Enjoy this time of research, training and preparation it's all part of the Camino experience.
Buen Camino
Col

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Tim-the-fat-Canadian said:
Meredith1 said:
JAMC said:
...I have never travelled on my own, can't speak the language have difficulty reading a map and have very limited walking experience, why oh why do I feel so driven to do this, I've never felt so sure about something in my whole life???

JAMC, I feel much the same way as you. I plan to go in September, have bought my shoes, expect my backpack to arrive in a couple of days, and then will start training -- and hope that my training doesn't reveal any problems.

Buen camino to us both!

Meridith, you do not need to wait until you backpack arrives. Start walking now. I am also beginning at the first of September.

http://www.timscamino.blogspot.ca

Tim, With a mini-Australian Shepherd and a Shih-Tzu who both love exercise, I walk a lot. :D I spoke of training - that is, with my backpack loaded to about 13 lbs. So far, so good.

singalleluia said:
Hello everyone! I've been a long-time lurker on the forum and it has been really helpful as I prepare to start the Camino on July 2nd. I'm Jess and I'm a teacher from Connecticut (U.S.A.) and I'm really looking forward to the journey and meeting other pilgrims!

Hi Jess, I'm also a teacher (Scotland) and starting about the same time as you.A slave to the holidays but can't complain. Where do you commence?

€83,-
Hey! The name is Dimitra, and I will be starting out in SJPdP in exactly 2 weeks (May 3), with plans to walk to the coast. Shortly after I'll be flying off to Greece to visit my family and rest the legs & back for a few weeks. So, when you notice the small girl with the 60L pack, I decided to pack a little extra for that trip & yes, I am well aware, I damned myself with it. HAHA! Thankfully, it's all ultralight gear in there.

*Wipes sweat from brow & still curses that ultra light won't feel ultralight after the first day* :D

So, what do I do? I'm a bookkeeper for my family's business & a runner. I'm at one of those cross roads & I think the walk will do me some good. Heck, it's about time I slowed my butt down & focused on the important things in life.

I hope to meet a lot of smiling faces...and very few bed bugs. LOL. :D

Hi Dimitra!
You'll be fine. You have the right approach. If the backpack gets too heavy, start binning items, one by one. Or just bin the backpack... :D
I, also, will be on the camino at the start of May, but on the Via de la Plata so, sadly, our paths won't cross. However, I wish you a very
Buen Camino!

Stephen
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

Hi All,

Kenny here, one of the many lurkers on the forum. I'll be starting the Camino on the 15th May and have given myself 32 days to complete the walk to Santiago de Compostela. The more I think about it and the more I read up, the more difficult it's starting to sound. I am half considering to just chuck the guides and just walk once I get to SJPdP. :lol:

Only one way to find out if 32 days is possible for me; I'll only know the answer mid June!

Bien Camino!

Hi Everyone,

I'm flying into Biarritz tomorrow and plan to start my Camino on Saturday. It looks like the weather is pretty bad and I've seen reports of snow on the walk to Roncesvalles.

Can anyone update me on the weather at present and the walking conditions?

Thanks.

Hello to all. We are Americans living in Abu Dhabi, wanting to go back to continue our Camino from last year, when we walked from SJPP to Los Arcos. That long, hot haul from Villamayor de Montjardin, where we ran out of water, was pretty much the end for my then 11-year-old son. It was about time to go home, anyway.

We hope to pick back up where we left off, starting from the same auberque we ended in last year and walk for about 10-12 days. This all depends on whether we have to move continents over the summer, in which case, we will probably put off our Camino until 2013. Stay tuned...

ETA: If we go, we should be in Los Arcos by 1 July.

Finally i am on my way first stop is Beijing, i wish i could bring their weather with me, warm and sunny 25-30 degC, tomorrow i fly to madrid, arriving tuesday, from madrid bus or train to pamplona to start camino No. 3, if all goes well i may also try the portugese way from Porto.

Frank
Melbourne Australia

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hey Frank! Nice to see a familiar face. Hope you're bringing some warm, dry weather to the Iberian Peninsula - it's rained every day since we arrived in Portugal 2 weeks ago.

My OH, Gregoz posted about our Camino Portugues walk in the Camino section, but I thought I'd just re-introduce myself here. We did all but the last 120km of the Camino Frances in Aug-Sept 2010, so this time we're hoping to make it all the way to Santiago on foot.

Here's our current blog - http://www.gregspurgin.com/walking-the- ... -portugal/

And here's the 2010 Camino Frances blog, in case anyone is interested - http://www.gregspurgin.com/walking-the- ... -santiago/

Hello judy,

Great to hear from you, have you recovered from your injury?

Here in China i don't have FB, can you pass on birthday wishes to Christine B , i look firward to hearing how the way is after porto:)

You would not want me to bring beijings weather for walking , too hot and humid.

I am lapping up my last day of 5 star hotel comfort before i travel to spain late tonight

Buen Camino

Frank

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?avotab

Buen camino, Frank!

€83,-
Hi,

Everything packed last night, all ready to go, but the trousers which fitted me last week wont meet in the front. give then a final pull, got the button in and the button snapped off. The actual button broke. :oops: Had to find another of same size. It is such a gloomey morning I can hardly find which end of the needle has the hole in it.ithttp://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/ ... 14&t=8660#

Greetings to all out there on the Camino and all make last minute preparations.
Buen Camino,

Lydia posting.php?mode=reply&f=14&t=8660#[gillen]

Will probably catch up with you. Starting from SJPdP on May 11.
Buen Camino,

rick

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
martha_s said:
Hi Everyone,

I am Martha from Jakarta, Indonesia. I'll be travelling alone and start from SJPP on May the 7th.

Just know the Camino exists on last December by watching a tv episode in Nat Geo Adv, and think I should do this. I read the Pilgrimage book by Paulo Coelho many years ago (in fact all his books), and only until then, I know the path is not fictional (what did I read actually?) :oops:
My friends told me I'm a little bit crazy with my plan, going to Europe and torturing myself just to walk hundred of kms.

Last month, when I was in Japan and visit the 26 Martrys Museum, the first thing I saw when the door is opened is St. Asisi statue with Camino's dress, and it's quite suprise me, it may be the time.

I wish you all a safe and blessed journey,
Martha

Dear Martha,

I am in Jakarta as I write this. I will follow you in June:). Have a wonderful experience.
Mark

Hi! My name is Hannah (AnitaPeron on the forum) and I'll be heading out of Saint-Palais on June 7th or so. I've been thinking about making this trip since my sister stumbled upon it back in 2000. She came back a brighter version of herself and the experience has stayed with her ever since. After reading all the very specific packing lists and spending too much time on the REI website, I asked her what she took and she said that she dropped of her big pack with a friend, traded it for a little one, and just headed out with what she had - a sleep sheet, a pair of jeans (gasp! jeans!), a pair of yoga pants, two tank tops, and a hoodie. Here's to traveling light in the things you love and letting the experience come to you, however it finds you! Hope to cross paths with you.

It's decided. Flights are booked; I'll book the train soon. We are starting from Logrono around July 1st, will walk until we have to head back for a flight from Madrid on the morning of the 13th. We left off in Los Arcos last year and decided to skip the stretch from Los Arcos to Logrono, which would probably take 2 precious days.

We are fairly easy to spot - look for the cute, curly-haired, sometimes sweet, sometimes sour, pre-teen boy.

3walkingtoSantiago said:
It's decided. Flights are booked; I'll book the train soon. We are starting from Logrono around July 1st, will walk until we have to head back for a flight from Madrid on the morning of the 13th. We left off in Los Arcos last year and decided to skip the stretch from Los Arcos to Logrono, which would probably take 2 precious days.

We are fairly easy to spot - look for the cute, curly-haired, sometimes sweet, sometimes sour, pre-teen boy.

Hello,

Today you must be are VERY excited as you finalize your Camino plans!

Logroño is a very pleasant city and the bustling hub for Rioja wine. The route of the CF west from there crosses some beautiful rolling countryside with extraordinary red cliffs in Najera.

Be sure to drink lots of water as July will be very hot.

Buen Camino!

Margaret

Hi Pilgrims!

Ive been lurking for the last two weeks, and sooo much enjoy this forum and the anticipation of meeting some of you along the way. The journey has begun!

I was formally on here as manifestdestinyLisa in 2008 (lost previous password), I didn't have enough vaction time and the pull to Italy beckoned, so I wound up on an amazing journey to Assisi, Italy. I am 42 from NJ, currently in transition from OH where I have been attending full time classes for 2.5 years.

I just got my boots and ordered my pack..the boots are Vasque Breeze GTX mid and they are dreamy comfortable. I have been breaking them in (though they were immediatly comfortable) and hope to fill up the light weight pack with just the essentials and gallavant around town to test the gear. Any feedback on how these particular boots hold up on a 800 mile trek? Im concerned because they feel so right on my feet (do I trust that?!). THe pack I ordered is the Gregory Jade50 and Lowe Alpine both from Sierra Trading Clearance...I figure I can compare them..they were both among the lightest bags.

I plan to make make the pilgrimmage late Aug to early/mid October. It will be my 43 birthday on Sept 4, I am in a huge transition and desire to be open and receptive to Divine Providence. I have much prayer and thanksgiving to offer as I walk. I crave open road, open skies, new friends along the way & and some time to reflect.

I just completed grad school with my MA in Counseling and I am D-O-N-E with Academia. Ugh, how I need to get back in my body and follow my heart/spirit ! I have been feeling the tug since 2008 to walk the Frances Way & visit Marian Shrines, and NOW is the time! The call is getting so loud, I have to follow it! :) The time feels really right, its amazing how it all comes together. Now, I am praying for the financial means (summer/seasonal work) to pull off the air fare etc. needed.

Its so exciting how the timing and call just became so clear. I am hoping to do my pilgrimmage starting in Lourdes at the tail end of August and after Finesterre take a little trip to Fatima by bus/train and then head home. Not sure where home will be right now! Its amazing to be shedding so much already! I am looking forward to some reflection time & some amazing social contacts!

Still have to get airfare, then it will be officially, OFFICIAL!!

I wish everyone a safe & blessed Camino,
Lisa

€83,-
Hi Lisa!

Do I detect a bit of excitement about your trip? :D I hope all your planning goes well.

On boots: I don't know that particular boot, but you'll have a good idea of their quality. The most important thing is that they're comfortable and give you a spring in your step. Make sure they're worn in but not worn out. Light boots are great in my opinion, although you'll get lots of alternative ideas on this forum!

Buen Camino!

Hi there:

My name is Sonya and I am a professor at a mid-sized Canadian university. I've been off on a leave since August 2011 and have spent most of my time travelling. I begin the Camino in a few short days. I shall be starting from Burgos and am very excited for the journey that lies ahead. I look forward to all that awaits, including the opportunity to meet the many people along the way.

Cheers! Sonya

Hi everyone!

I start my camino from Leon on the 23rd or 24th May, having done the first half last summer. I'm from England and am looking forward to being immersed once again in the Spanish peregrino culture, to all the wonderful things that the camino offers, as well as the direction it can give to one's life.

Buen camino,

peregrina inglesa.

myschf said:
Hi Class of 2012!
I'm Lynette from New Hampshire and I'll be joining the ranks :) My plan is to depart the States on September 15 and start in StJean on the 17th arrive in Santiago on October 22 and attend services on the 23rd then continue on to Finisterre.

Bobbie from Arizona, I sure hope we run into each otehr I will be arriving the 17th and starting from St. Jean on the 18th of September. Going solo, my big adventure and cannot wait for the next 4months to fly away!

Sedona2012 said:
Bobbie from Arizona, I sure hope we run into each otehr I will be arriving the 17th and starting from St. Jean on the 18th of September. Going solo, my big adventure and cannot wait for the next 4months to fly away!

Hi Bobbie from Arizona - I too, am from Arizona and will be starting my Camino around the 1st of September. I think I will be flying in and walking with "Tim the Fat Canadian" not sure where we will be meeting up though, New York, London, Biarritz or where. But I am anxious for my big adventure - maybe we'll meet up along the Way.

€60,-
Hi Bobbie from Arizona - I too, am from Arizona and will be starting my Camino around the 1st of September. I think I will be flying in and walking with "Tim the Fat Canadian" not sure where we will be meeting up though, New York, London, Biarritz or where. But I am anxious for my big adventure - maybe we'll meet up along the Way.[/quo

I hope we do somehow meet up!

amourier said:
Sedona2012 said:

Hi Bobbie! My dates have changed a little since my original post. Borrowing a line from Lisa in the post above...I'm officially OFFICIAL as of last night. I'm arriving into Madrid early morning on the 17th. Once I recover from the jitters of purchasing the plane ticket I'll start to plan the rest of the trek to StJPdP. Hopefully I'll set out no later than the 19th. Also traveling physically solo *shrug* but have herds of peeps spiritually tagging along :D Hope to see you along the way. I will NOT be the one with my undies drying on my backpack...heard a rumor that there is an undie-bandit on the Camino. :p

Hi Bobbie! My dates have changed a little since my original post. Borrowing a line from Lisa in the post above...I'm officially OFFICIAL as of last night. I'm arriving into Madrid early morning on the 17th. Once I recover from the jitters of purchasing the plane ticket I'll start to plan the rest of the trek to StJPdP. Hopefully I'll set out no later than the 19th. Also traveling physically solo *shrug* but have herds of peeps spiritually tagging along :D Hope to see you along the way. I will NOT be the one with my undies drying on my backpack...heard a rumor that there is an undie-bandit on the Camino. :p[/quote]

We are both arriving exactly on the same day in Madrid and I also will be making my way to STJPDP. Trying hard to get into a smaller size of undies in the unfortunate chance I have to dry mine on my backpack! :)

Hi Bobbie from Arizona - I too, am from Arizona and will be starting my Camino around the 1st of September. I think I will be flying in and walking with "Tim the Fat Canadian" not sure where we will be meeting up though, New York, London, Biarritz or where. But I am anxious for my big adventure - maybe we'll meet up along the Way.[/

Tim the Fat Canadian has pretty much recovered from a knee injury (from overtraining in rugged terrain) and is back on track for starting from St Jean on or around September 1st. Just looking over the zillions of options for travel from North America to St Jean. If I have no set backs with the knee, soon I will no longer be Tim the FAT Canadian :D

Tim the Fat Canadian has pretty much recovered from a knee injury (from overtraining in rugged terrain) and is back on track for starting from St Jean on or around September 1st. Just looking over the zillions of options for travel from North America to St Jean. If I have no set backs with the knee, soon I will no longer be Tim the FAT Canadian :D

Tim,

It is wonderful to see you back on the Forum!

Keep up the good fight! However, don't train too hard. Once on the Camino remember that easy does it. The most common injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much! Daily distances cited in the guidebooks are not sacred; do not attempt 40 km the first day! Be a snail; slow but, determined.

Enjoy your planning, training, and Buen Camino,

Margaret

I'm originally a central New Yorker (even lived across the way in Buffalo 11 years ago) and am starting from SJPP on the 1st of September. I'm flying into Biarritz direct from Dublin on the August 31st. Staying in SJPP that evening but have booked Orrison the following night to break up the first day of walking. So if you hear some gal humming Sloan songs while walking, it's probably me.

Glad to hear you're recovering well.
Take it easy and I hope to meet you soon.

Buen Camino.
JH

Hello and Ahoj pilgrims!
My name is Dawn Marie and I will be starting off on my Camino June 6th 2012 from St. Jean to Santiago. I'll be coming from Prague where I live now, but I am an American Expat living there. If any of you will be sailing off on your journeys around that time let me know, maybe we will find each other?! Ready and excited to get started and to stop over planning/thinking. To all of you future Pilgrims, Buen Camino!
Dawn

Hi everyone

It's 6 weeks until my friend and I start our Camino in Roncesvalles. I've been reading like one possessed! I have tried a few types of socks, different ways of lacing my boots to get the best support, walked with my pack, in the clothes I plan to take, the hat I plan to wear and even the sunglasses that I hope I won't lose. We're from Victoria BC on the very western side of Canada so are looking forward to some heat and of course meeting all the interesting people that do an activity like this! Thanks to all of you who post on topics that are so interesting to me right now. My question here is for the ladies......any advice on bras :oops: ???? (sorry guys but it's important)

Hope to meet some of you in July along the way!

Maureen

Hello peregrines,
I'm walking from Pueblo de Zanabria to Muxia from August 6 onwards.
I have a return flight from Madrid booked for 26th August so have plenty of time to complete the walk and then get back from Muxia.

I have walked to Santiago twice before and although I love getting there, it seems too grand for a simple person like me. The beach at Muxia feels much much more spiritual and there is just something sacred and more beautiful than any man-made structure about the sea.

Mind you walking in August might be like hell if it is too hot, but the weather this year is so insane that you just never know what will happen.
I love this forum and hope very much to meet some (but not too many) other nutters walking the VdlP in August.
My husband thinks the more northerly section might not be too hot...

Oceanroc

Hi,
I left St. Jean as planned on Tuesday 8th May, met up with Gina from the forum, stayed at Orisson, lovely place and fabulous food.Next day over the top to Roncesvalles. Great days walking with brisk wind.However on the final downhill my little toe must have kept slipping forward in my boot, even though I had tied them tightly, and a bruise developed under the nail. Set off early next morning but had pain in little toe. So, I am a pilgrim, "Can cope with pain every second step." But had to stop at Viskarret at La Posada Nueva. Lovely place and great meal that evening.

Set off at 7.00 am. , the others remained to have breakfast at 7.30. I walked all alone through the woods in the early morning, the sun coming through the newly burst leaves and was passed by only six cyclists. It was not until 10.50 that a walker caught up with me. It was so beautiful, but I was still in pain and stopped at Larrasoana. Stayed at Municipal Hostel. It had two computers but the hospiladera will allow only one toilet roll per cubicle per night as a result the was none from 8.00 pm. on. Is the world gone crazy or maybe only one woman!!??

Next day made it to Trinadad de Arre where Br. Martin made me so welcome. Got Mass in Villava that Saturday night but by now a different pain was running up the inside of my leg. I realised that I must be walking on the inside of my foot to ease the pain, and this was causing stress on the whole leg..

Sunday set off slowly, very slowly for Pamplona. Made it to Paderborn. Had phoned my husband when I realised that I might do damage , maybe permanent damage if I continued walking and asked him to book me a flight home . Doris in Paderborn told me that I could get a direct bus to Bilbao airport at 7.00 next morning but would need to buy the ticket today. and she would keep me a bed for the night. Thank You Doris. Went to the bus station but was in so much pain that I could not bear the thought of the walk back to Paderborn and the walk the following morning to the bus station. Saw there was a bus in an hours time to Bilbao and bought a ticket. Got my husband to phone Paderborn and tell them that I would not be returning.

So I came home after only one week. I feel sure I made the correct decision. If I had remained to rest in Pamplona I would have been tempted to walk again too soon. The Camino will remain to welcome me again.

In the meantime the pain is easing slowly but surely. John my husband is delighted to see me. He had booked to go to the Fleadh Nua (New Festival) in Ennis in the West of Ireland tomorrow for a week and so now I will go with him too.

I'm already looking at flights in September and trying to fit two weeks between other commitments and that will get me to Burgos.

Much and all as I want to walk every yard of the way to Santiago before my 70th birthday next year, it is more important to take care of my own health

Buen Camino to all of you setting out soon,

Lydia

Lydia,

Wishing you a speedy and full recovery! I too have fond and warm memories of the hospitality at Casa Paderborn.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Tim, I wish you good luck on your training hikes for the camino and sure you can start walking September 1.

Buen Camino,
annie

and Buen camino
to Hannah, 3walkingtosantiago, Lisa, Sonya, Bobbie from Arizona, JillHives, Dawn, garrywalker, oceanroc, mwilson48

- some of you walking and some of you planning to walk. Quite many of you in September on the camino Frances. BUEN CAMINO, HAPPY PLANNING!

Let us know how you are doing.

and Lydia, hope you are recovering from your injuries and come back later.

annie

Hi I am doing the camino Francais in september. i will arrive in Biarritz on August 31st. I have walked from Sarria to santiago some years ago and have longed to to it all since. I am so looking forward to doing it this year.

Buen Camino all.

Regards to the Class of 2012! I am Rafter, the name on the license plate on my pickup truck. On June 16, my son (Christopher), my granddaughter (Madison), and I will begin our two-weeks from Ferrol-Santiago-Finnesterra-Muxia. This last Sunday, I was honored to speak at Madison's Baccalaureat for her high school graduation. As I was preparing for it (over several months) it struck me that her passage into adulthood should be marked by something more significant than a week on a beach in Florida. It also struck me that, in all probability, the three of us would never again make two weeks to be together. Thus, we will happily, excitedly, join the Class of 2012 and see who we have become by the end of this part of life's journey. We will, of course, be honored to be a part of the Camino.
Between now and beginning our Camino, I will leave to row a raft more than 100 km down the Yampa River in Colorado... a Camino of sorts in its own right. I am hopeful my mind will be closer to where I need to be by the time we begin our real Camino next month! If not, I am confident that each step along the Way will... well, we'll see!
Larry Crane (Rafter) from Arkansas

Welcome Dellaware and Rafter! I hope you both enjoy your Caminos.

Dellaware - you'll see the quieter (and I think more beautiful) end of the route, which you will love!
Rafter - enjoy the time with your family. The Camino Ingles is fantastic.

Buen Caminos!

Rafter said:
Regards to the Class of 2012! I am Rafter, the name on the license plate on my pickup truck. On June 16, my son (Christopher), my granddaughter (Madison), and I will begin our two-weeks from Ferrol-Santiago-Finnesterra-Muxia. This last Sunday, I was honored to speak at Madison's Baccalaureat for her high school graduation. As I was preparing for it (over several months) it struck me that her passage into adulthood should be marked by something more significant than a week on a beach in Florida.

Larry,

What a wonderful passage into adulthood, three generations walking the Way! Bravo!

Arlene from Arizona

Soo, the SmartWings airline cancelled my flight to Paris from Prague, thus canceling out the 2 trains I must take after to St. Jean. Trying to somehow figure out another way as I leave in 1 week!
I think the journey has really begun for me!
And thanks for all the kind words my fellow pilgrims!
Buen Camino!
Dawn

Dawn Marie Kubicek said:
Soo, the SmartWings airline cancelled my flight to Paris from Prague, thus canceling out the 2 trains I must take after to St. Jean. Trying to somehow figure out another way as I leave in 1 week!
I think the journey has really begun for me!
And thanks for all the kind words my fellow pilgrims!
Buen Camino!
Dawn
Hi Dawn. How useless are they?! Can they put you on a flight to Bilbao instead?

Buen, if a bit stressful at the start, Camino!

dellaware said:
Hi I am doing the camino Francais in september. i will arrive in Biarritz on August 31st. I have walked from Sarria to santiago some years ago and have longed to to it all since. I am so looking forward to doing it this year.

Buen Camino all.

I too, will be starting the Camino the beginning of this coming September. I will be travelling and walking with Tim from Canada (he calls himself Tim the Fat Canadian here on the forum).
I'm looking forward to my Camino and the many other pilgrims I will meet - I'm hoping to meet up with you along the way!

Thank you for the welcome. Amourier I will look out for you and Tim on the way I will be staring in JPDP on Sept !st hoping to go to Ronc, but will depend on weather and how I feel !!!!

dellaware said:
Thank you for the welcome. Amourier I will look out for you and Tim on the way I will be staring in JPDP on Sept !st hoping to go to Ronc, but will depend on weather and how I feel !!!!

I'm arriving in Biarritz on the 31st as well and starting from sjpp on the first of September. Hope to see you Dellaware, Amourier and Tim.

I'll try this again...

A few weeks ago I signed into this forum and posted a couple of times and then I could no longer sign in and my posts "disappeared", but my name was still on the calender so I signed up again.

My husband and I will begin our walk in Leon on September 1. We have 3 weeks to walk to Finisterre (that town has lots of different spellings). We fly to Madrid and the next day take the train to Leon on Aug. 31. I would like to make reservation for the night at a nice place so we are rested to start. On the Camino we want live the pilgrims life, eating and sleeping in the local places. We plan to walk about 20k-25k a day.

We have been empty nesters for a year, but our daughter may come home to live and work as she starts graduate school. We have just started telling our children about our plans and they are jealous. We have traveled all over the USA with them. The three oldest have all studies abroad and look forward to a time when they can return to other lands. But now it is our time. We have poured into our children our time and money and with only one left in college we feel it is our time. I love to do for them, and they are happy to see us do this.

We look forward to meeting people, enjoying the culture, and seeing the many sights. We also know that it will be a time of reflection and seeking what GOD has for us in the next season of our lives together.

Buen Camino

JillHives said:
dellaware said:

I'm arriving in Biarritz on the 31st as well and starting from sjpp on the first of September. Hope to see you Dellaware, Amourier and Tim.

I have booked transport with some other people. Express Bourricot is collecting us from Biarritz at 4 pm on 31st august. at the moment it is costing us 17 euro each to go to JPDP (4 passengers) if there is anyone here that wants to share transport they are welcome to join us. It will cost less if there are more than 4 I think.

Buen Camino

Hi everyone!

My name is Michael George and I am a photographer living and working in New York City. I have been on a few adventures–mostly cycling–and chronicled them through photographs/writing. You can see my work at http://www.michaelgeorgephoto.com

For a change of pace I decided to walk the Camino de Santiago after hearing about it last year at a youth conference. I will take the train into SJPP June 3rd, stay at Auberge du Pelerin, and start my hike the following day. I have budgeted 35 days to get to Santiago but have no idea how many rest days there will be.

I am hoping to take a lot of portraits so if we meet–don't be shy of the camera!

See you on the trail.

MG

MichaelGeorgePhoto said:
Hi everyone!

My name is Michael George and I am a photographer living and working in New York City.
For a change of pace I decided to walk the Camino de Santiago after hearing about it last year at a youth conference. I will take the train into SJPP June 3rd, stay at Auberge du Pelerin, and start my hike the following day. I have budgeted 35 days to get to Santiago but have no idea how many rest days there will be.
MG

Michael, great website, bravo! I sure do hope you chronicle your camino with pictures and post them on your site for all of us to see.
I will be walking the Camino Frances in the beginning of September this year and would love to read/see your chronicle before I depart.
Best of luck fellow pilgrim and God speed!

amourier said:
MichaelGeorgePhoto said:
Hi everyone!

My name is Michael George and I am a photographer living and working in New York City.
MG

Michael, great website, bravo! I sure do hope you chronicle your camino with pictures and post them on your site for all of us to see.
I will be walking the Camino Frances in the beginning of September this year and would love to read/see your chronicle before I depart.
Best of luck fellow pilgrim and God speed!

Greetings and thank you so much for your kind words! I will be posting updates either on my website or blog and – once the journey is complete – likely have many more photos and reflections to write :) I will be sure to post the link on the forums once it is complete. Good luck in your preparations for September! And of course Buen Camino :D

dellaware said:
I have booked transport with some other people. Express Bourricot is collecting us from Biarritz at 4 pm on 31st august. at the moment it is costing us 17 euro each to go to JPDP (4 passengers) if there is anyone here that wants to share transport they are welcome to join us. It will cost less if there are more than 4 I think.

Buen Camino

I've already booked so I must be one of the four. :) No doubt I'll see you so.

Abbeydore said:
"plan little or nothing....... :D

Great advice, Abbeydore! Luckily, I didn't plan my plane reservation because it looks like I'll be heading out in August or September instead. My dad needs to have surgery, so I'm going home for a bit to help out my parents. In the meantime, I'll be trekking around the Pacific Northwest with my pack, building up my stamina... by the time I leave, I'll have to exchange all my pants from REI for smaller sizes! :)

Catch you out on the road,
Hannah

MichaelGeorgePhoto said:
Hi everyone!

My name is Michael George and I am a photographer living and working in New York City. I have been on a few adventures–mostly cycling–and chronicled them through photographs/writing. You can see my work at http://www.michaelgeorgephoto.com

I am hoping to take a lot of portraits so if we meet–don't be shy of the camera!

See you on the trail.

MG
Hi Michael! I too will be starting from St. Jean the day after you go. I checked out your photos, nice work! Im from Milwaukee, but have been living in Prague for 4 years. Maybe we will meet on the journey. If I see a guy and a camera I may know who he is :). Buen Camino!

Hi all!
My name is Alli and I'm a student at the College of William and Mary. I'm with a college research group and we're walking out from Pamplona on June 1 (led by the legendary George Greenia). Hope to see some of you on the trail!

Sorry for my absence, I have been busy walking, getting nervous and planning the rest of my packing list. I'm off in 6 weeks, it's come round so quickly... back is filling up quickly now, the last weigh in had me at 7lbs that was without toiletries and poncho which is not too bad (probably forgot lots!!)

Thanks for all your comments, its gone a long way to ease the nerves... I'm taking it one step at a time, I'm really not thinking about much more than the journey from home to St Jean at the moment as it overwhelms me, the enormity of it... 800kms :shock: :shock: :shock: There's a saying "to eat an elephant you must do it one bite at a time".... gulp :?

Good luck to all those setting off this week Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
JAMC said:
I'm off in 6 weeks, it's come round so quickly... !

:D Happy Feet to you! Every time I see a count down that little green envy monster perches on my shoulder. I'm just under 4 months away from launch. Please post to let us know how you are doing! Enjoy enjoy... :)

Hello Everyone! :D
When I was 13, I had the privilege to travel to Spain and traveling for two weeks. I went with people from my 7th and 8th grade Spanish classes and we embarked on a trip that would stay with me for the rest of my life. We traveled from Madrid to Santiago De Compostela via bus and stayed in a different city practically every night. I was in awe of the beauty around me and my favorite places were the towns often the beaten path. When we finally arrived in Santiago De Compostela, I was surprised at the number of people wearing backpacks, looking weary, but happy. My Spanish teacher had told us earlier in the pilgrimage that some people make to Santiago De Compostela, on foot, by horse, by bike, and pointed out the posts that guided the pilgrims on their way. I realized then that those people with backpacks, these were the pilgrims that we had been told about and whose path we had followed for a brief while by bus. The joy on their face after finally having reached their destination was overwhelming and I remember telling one of my best friends that I would walk the Camino one day making a promise to her and myself. As we left Santiago De Compostela, our teacher surprised us and bought us each a Scallop Shell, the sign of the pilgrim, saying that we had completed the journey, but I knew that my journey had yet to begin…

Seven years later I find myself heading back to Europe to study abroad in Italy and I was reminded of the promise to walk the Camino to Santiago De Compostela. I thought about whether or not this would be the trip in which I would fulfill that promise and I began to do research on what I would need to do in order to walk the Camino. I was hesitant, toying with the idea, until my mom confronted me with booking my ticket to Italy. At first she presented me with the option to fly into Florence on August 22, but I knew if I took that flight there was no chance I could complete any version of the Camino. I asked her if there was an opportunity to leave earlier and possibly fly into another airport, possibly around the 13th of August. Following up on this my mom found one other option—fly to Rome on August 7. At first I was hesitant because I knew I would be getting back from working in Washington, DC on August 5, so I asked my mom if she thought she could help me prepare for Italy before I left in beginning of July for DC. My mom said she could try, and that was enough for me. I knew that I wanted to do the Camino and there was the opportunity, how could I not take it? My flight is booked and I will be departing California for Rome on August 7 to arrive August 9. I hope to start my walk on the Camino Frances by August 11. I am planning to walk from Sarria to Santiago De Compostela then continue on to Finisterre and Muxia. Between now and when I leave I will be training and collecting prayers. I am terrified to be doing this on my own, but I know God has put it in my heart to do this. I also started a prayer book. I have been collecting prayers from those around me, so that when I walk the Camino I won't just be walking for myself-I will be walking for others.

Buen Camino! (hehe that's my first time saying that) :D

MichaelGeorgePhoto said:
Hi everyone!

See you on the trail.

MG

Hi Michael! I start my walk on the 7th of June from St Jean, so you'll be just ahead of me! I was wondering which camera you'll be taking along with you? I can't decide if I must take my little Olympus or my bigger (but better) Canon 400D. All the best for your journey!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
myschf said:
JAMC said:
I'm off in 6 weeks, it's come round so quickly... !

:D Happy Feet to you! Every time I see a count down that little green envy monster perches on my shoulder. I'm just under 4 months away from launch. Please post to let us know how you are doing! Enjoy enjoy... :)

Thank you...however, in the blink of an eye your 4 months will be up and you will be as excited as can be!!!

I packed my bag tonight and it is now weighing 13lb 6 WOW how did it get so heavy??? I am going to have to do some serious editing.. no idea how as it's all pretty much essential, I'm only taking two outfits and one of them I'll be wearing... it's the toiletries and the poncho... do I really need rain gear in July/August???

Good luck with your planning.... you haven't got long to wait now!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.