• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2013

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
Greetings everyone!

I am Damian and will do my first Camino starting at the end of May and arriving, God willing, on my 50th birthday June 27. I still haven't fully decided on the start...Madrid vs. Roncesvalles though.

Glad to be class of 2013! :D

Every time I see a yellow arrow, a Shell gas station, or a One Way sign all I can think of is the Camino...is it just me? :lol:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Greetings everyone, my name is Ivan. I live in Auburndale, Florida USA and after 1 year of learning a lot about it I decided to walk the Camino for the first time between May--June 2013.I had knee surgery done on both my knees (meniscus tear) back in September of this year, but I am back on the track again & should have plenty of time to recover & get ready. I already have my air ticket to fly to Madrid on the 23rd of May 2013 & hope to start from SJPDP on May 25th. Still need to figure out how to get to SJPDP from Madrid. Flight back to Florida is on June 30th. Looking forward to communicate a lot on this Forum & hopefully meet some of the members on the Camino.

We have our credenciales so we can walk the English end of our pilgrimage soon. There is a new CSJ guide to the Camino del Norte coming early next year, hopefully in time for us to buy. If not we'll have to get the 2010 version, still newer than our current 2007 ones.
Waiting for ferry company to put up its full listings, including hotels at the start which will give us a better deal. We plan to go Plymouth to Santander again, walk the Norte to Llanes, then the GR route to Covadonga and continue on the GR to rejoin the Norte.

This will be a slower/more divided Camino as we have less time to walk in 2013, so we'll be looking at future years (DV) for walking on further stages. Maybe the Norte beyond Gijón and the Camino del Mar to join the Inglés rather than Miraz and Sobrado de Monxes. We don't know. It will depend on walking ability and future health etc, but at least we begin again.........
Now back to that packing list (tweaked) and the daily stages plans.......... :D
TerryB and Tia Valeria

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi fwedf,
We flew Air Transat... Calgary to London Gatwick, then Easyjet to Barcelona. After a couple if days sightseeing, we took the train to Pamplona, then bus to SJPDP. Return, we flew Easyjet Madrid to Manchester, then Air Transat Manchester to Calgary.

We flew over in Aug. of this year, back in Sept. I picked the cheapest days to fly, and for some strange reason, was cheaper to book a multi destination tic with Air Transat than a round trip...hence LGW, Man. Both airlines have sales, so keep your eyes open. I booked the beginning of June...all flights cost me just over $1,000.
Marilyn

fwedf said:
Looking for ideas on how to get to St Jean Pied du Port from Canada - fly into Paris or Madrid?
Hi fwedf,
I'm from the west coast of Canada and have been on the camino 4 times. I have gone from Vancouver to London (or Paris), London(or Paris) to Biarritz all in one day arriving at about 10:30 pm, stayed over two nights in Biarritz to help get over jet lag before walking uphill (in either a hotel or a youth hostel) and then taken the short train trip from Biarritz to SJPP about 8:00 the next morning. The youth hostel is a couple of blocks from the train station. There are several trains each day and you do change trains in Bayonne which is about ten minutes from Biarritz. I think the total train trip is under two hours - and you will meet other pilgrims on the train. You will be at the Pilgrims Office in SJPP by 10 or so , buy a few provisions for lunch and you still have time to walk up the hill to the Orisson albergue that day (about 9 or 10 km)if you wish. If you do that be sure to make a reservation at Orisson well in advance - at least a couple of months for a September stay (http://www.refuge-orisson.com). After that your next day to Roncesvalles is a mere 16 or 17 km. And there's no place for food or coffee in between so make sure you have food.
Alternatively you can stay the night at SJPP at one of many wonderful spots there (consider the Esprit du Chemin (http://www.espritduchemin.org/) across from the Pilgrims' Office.
Buen camino

Third times a charm

I was supposed to go in September 2011 then September 2012, and life kept getting in the way. How did I solve it? I went a step further an purchased tickets! I am walking from Saturday, April 27, from Valenca to Santiago, so probably four or five days. Not much but it's a start!

This has meant so much to me, I kept planning and hoping, so I am finally going to do it! Funny, I wanted to go before "The Way" and never thought I would have this much trouble going. Work is unforgiving, so you finally have to say "I'm going this date to that date and, oh yeah, I'm not taking a phone!" :)

It's the Camino Portugues for us. My fiance's father was from Portugual. His mother from Italy, so maybe we can start there next time! He is from Brazil, but that would make too long a walk :)

Bom Caminho to everyone... hope to see you all on the Way if not in person, in spirit!
Red

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi,
I'm Annon, from the Olympic Peninsula, northwest USA. I have plane tickets bought for a 5 day silent retreat in Cornwall, but I'm changing my return ticket and heading south after the retreat ends on March 13, 2013. I'd love to do the whole walk from Vezelay, but would also like to avoid the larger #s of people and heat in the later spring. I may well start from SJPP on March 16 or 17 and then doing something really peculiar like taking the bus back from Finisterre and walking north from SJPP to Vezelay.
I'm 58, have never been more than 50 miles outside of the US, and that was 40 years ago. Taking Spanish and French, walking a lot, and extremely glad to be going.
All the best,
Annon

tyrrek said:
Hi Annon! Are you talking about Cornwall, England ? If so have a look at this route, if you haven't seen it already. It would only be a day or two. Buen Camino!

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=13233
Hi Tyrrek,
Thanks for the link, and the encouragement!
I'll be in Penzance, close to this route. I'll check this out further and see if I can make it work.
All the best,
Annon

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi all, Class of 2013, count me in starting April

My name is Terry and I have only just today discovered this site and joined this forum so very much the newbie... and not just new to the forum but also the Camino. I am from Burleigh Heads, Australia and will depart to walk the Camino on or about April 18, 2013. Do not yet know which side of the Pyrenees I will start, in fact departure date is the only thing I do have planned at this stage. Will not ask any of the many questions I have for a while until I have had a chance to read lots of the great posts here. First decision will be which route as I would prefer to be in Santiago by the last week in June. All advise will be greatly appreciated.

Buen Camino

Terry

Hi!
I am Andreas from Frankfurt/Germany.
A friend of mine and I will walk a part of the Camino Frances in May 2013 (Sarria - SDC).
Flights are booked (Iberia), reservations for rooms out and we are looking very much forward to the trip! Thanks to our wives and kids, we can use a good week to start "testing" the camino (if we like it, we will extend the way in the years to come). I think we both were inspired by the book of a German comedian and we are curious what the camino will do to us.
The posts in this forum already helped us in preparation, thanks a lot for that!
Bests,
Andreas

P.S.: in contrast to my nickname I love cats... :)

This may not be the correct forum for this but I am having issues with trying to find the correct US to Europe plug outlet or convertor. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You should be able to get one of those at any international airport. In Australia and New Zealand you can also get them at most outdoor shops as well
Ian

ornarywomn said:
This may not be the correct forum for this but I am having issues with trying to find the correct US to Europe plug outlet or convertor. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

You should not need a converter as almost all electronic/electric devices now are dual voltage and will work both in the U.S. and Europe (and most everywhere else). You would have to have something very old to not be dual voltage.

The plug adapter is pretty easily found in the U.S. Travel stores will have them. They can be ordered on Amazon and are cheap. The adapterr is from the U.S. 2 blade plug to the European two round plug.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello from the mountains of western North Carolina. My husband and I are planning to walk the Camino from Pamplona to SDC in late April and May and as long as it takes. I am really encouraged by the number of folks about our ages (I will be 72 and husband will be 75) who are also planning to make the pilgrimage. It really will be a marvelous time I am sure. But I have doubts about the early stretch from SJ to Pamploma. It sounds more strenuous than we will be ready for at the start. Hence the Pamplona starting point.

The only other distance walking we've done was down the Great Glen inn Scotland Before there was a "Great Glen Way". So we have some insight to what we are doing. But we were alone then and I am looking forward to meeting other pilgrims.

Hello Class of 2013 from Brisbane, Australia. My name is Lauren and I plan of walking the Camino Frances in September/October. This will be a adventure of firsts for me with it being my first time to Europe and the first time travelling alone! I hope to meet some lovely fellow peregrinos and have an adventure.

Hey!

I posted a few months ago to introduce myself and since then, have just been a giant lurker. BUT I just booked my Canada to London ticket! I’m officially committed! My plan is to start from SJPDP on April 20th and spend the night at Orisson. So now to figure out how to get from London to SJPDP and find out if Orisson takes bookings this early! Yay! I think having this to look forward to will make the Canadian winter much easier to handle :lol:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ryan air to Biaritz from London Stansted is the way to go ( can get to Stansted by tube)
Cheap as well. Watch the conditions on the ticket though so you don't get stung on check in. Then bus to station and train to STPDP
We hope to commence about same time as you but are considering the tunnel route
http://www.santiago-compostela.net/tunn ... tn_en.html
Then join the Frances route near Burgos
May see you on the trail. Make sure get a forum badge for your pack
Ian and Cath

Trinencadian....which airport do you fly into in London ? We flew into Gatwick, then right back out of there to Barcelona on Easyjet for a couple of days to get over the jet lag. Gatwick is really out in the middle of nowhere so for us, was easiest to just continue on from there. From Barcelona we took the train to Pamplona, then bus to SJPDP. Another option :)

My poor bag will be awash in badges! Cdn flag, perhaps a Trini flag, a forum badge, the shell… :)

I’m flying into Heathrow on the 17th to spend a couple days with my sister – so I can pretty much leave London from wherever to go wherever since I won’t leave until the 19th. I’ve never thought about doing Barcelona-Pamplona-SJPDP. I’ll have to research that option. Thanks for the idea, Mmc! One of my other ideas was to take an evening train from London to Paris, take the overnight train to Bayonne, and catch the morning bus to SJPDP. This could work so long as there are no French rail strikes (which is a distinct possibility if I go by the other times I’ve been in France…) Still plenty of time to plan, though!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello, my name is Jan.
My friend Ruth and I are leaving Le Puy at the end of April and arriving , God willing in Santiago at the end of June.
Ruth has walked the Camino before in two parts but I think has yearned to do the whole thing again.
I'm a novice.
Excitement is building, I think of little else!
I love the forum and hope to meet a few forum pilgrims along the way.
Buen Camino x

Greetings to Jan and Ruth from Farmer John, Iowa, USA! Since you're starting from Le Puy about 2 weeks ahead of me, I don't know if I'll ever catch up to you! I'm keeping a folder of all those folks who are planning on being on the route and it would be great to find some of them wearing the "Badge". Reading this forum daily has totally replaced all other morning readings. Be prepared to becoming addicted :? ! Enjoy your planning, re-planning and musing.

I will be starting Le Puy March 17th since I am disabled I take longer to get places, I am sure I will run into you during my time there I will be walking to Muxia and I will be walking until Aug 1st. It is exciting to think I only have 4 more months before I leave. Aren't you all so excited?!?

Sincerely,
Leslie Edmiston

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Re: Class of 2013 - Le Puy

Hello Jan and Ruth, Farmer John and Ornarywomn,
My friend Suzy and I will be on the Le Puy to Finisterre and Muxia route starting soon after the beginning of April so may run into one or another of you along the way somewhere.
Buen camino to you all,
Cecelia

I get so excited every time I think about starting my Camino. Looking to head out of Brisbane at the start of September 2013. I just have to make the final decision on booking flights and deciding how far I think I will be able to walk.I figure that I will have 30 days to walk, and was planning on starting in Pamplona - will this be enough time???
It is great to be able to gather so much information out of these forums.
Beun Camino
Carla

Carla's said:
I get so excited every time I think about starting my Camino. Looking to head out of Brisbane at the start of September 2013. I just have to make the final decision on booking flights and deciding how far I think I will be able to walk.I figure that I will have 30 days to walk, and was planning on starting in Pamplona - will this be enough time???
It is great to be able to gather so much information out of these forums.
Beun Camino
Carla
Hi Carla!

It's certainly possible to walk from Pamplona in 30 days, but it depends on your fitness and experience etc. If you're an average paced walker you could make it OK, but bear in mind that you could get blisters that hold you up, or find a nice group of mates who you want to stay with, but who want to take a few rest days etc along the way.

Consider starting a bit further on (Logrono, for example) which will build in flexibility and a bit of time to enjoy Santiago at the end. Or take the bus part of the way along the route, although that will probably mean you'll lose your Camino family.

You'll have a great time! Buen Camino.

Hello! I've just made the commitment to walk the Camino Norte and Primitivo in July/August 2013! I'm from Colorado, so am used to hiking, but the Camino looks like a much bigger challenge!

I'm enjoying reading all of the tips here.. thank you for sharing your experiences!

Any advice for newbies like me is much appreciated!!!

Thanks! Shari

Buen Camino!

Hey folks.

I am from Vancouver, Canada and will walk the camino from SJPP starting roughly April 1st.(or, possibly Roncesvalles. I remember what the hiking up 1,100 m in one day is like from a hike I did in the Dolomites, not sure that this is the most prudent way to start a month long walk. :) But, we will see closer to the day).

Last summer I had made plans to walk in August, but about 2 weeks before I was due to start, I was persuaded to postpone the walk. The cost of cancelling was minimal (I was already in Europe anyway), but this is very much unfinished business for me.

At this point, I am just starting on the training for it. I definitely need to lose some weight, but on the other hand, I probably walk 10+ km four or five days a week as a matter of routine, so my legs are not entirely unused to walking.

Just finished reading All the Good Pilgrims, and I have two more books coming in the mail by the end of the week. So, the planning will soon begin in earnest.

Hello Farmer John, Cecelia and Suzy and all those walking the Camino in 2013.
Many thanks for your good wishes.
It's an exciting time, the planning, the anticipation, the learning Spanish the training and the preparation of mind and body, training has started in earnest!!!
Hope to make new friends and learn new things.
Good luck to you all, jan
Buen Camino x

Hi Thengel1... I am from the Vancouver area as well... planning to leave from Seattle on April 1 to Paris... perhaps we will run into each other!! Are you flying from Vancouver or Seattle??

Cecelia... I have been lurking on the boards for many months, trying to get all the information I can about this trip. Most importantly how to get from Paris to SJPP without having a nervous breakdown!! Your post earlier this week regarding that completely put me at ease...and I wanted to thank you!!

I am not at all uneasy about the trek from SJPP to Santiago... my issue is big cities. I am looking forward to this experience very much!!

Hi Thengel1 and CuppycakeKaren and anybody else from the Vancouver area,
On behalf of the Canadian Company of Pilgrims we will be having a camino meeting in Vancouver in JANUARY. I'm just trying to doublecheck the times and dates and will post again when I get them. The meetings are just caminotalk and sharing. Questions answers, comments from those who have gone, stuff to take, backpacks, boots etc.
Everyone is welcome - both past walkers and newcomers.
I expect it to be at the Fairview Baptist Church which generously provides space. The pastor there has walked the camino. More on this later today I hope.
Cecelia

Hi Karen. Who knows, maybe we will run into each other. The exact date I will hit the trail is undecided at this time. Not only will I try to get the best deal I can for the flight, I am also thinking a spending 4 or 5 days in Europe before I start walking, (London, or Paris/Bordeaux maybe).

I won't buy place tickets until January probably (though I have started tracking airfares), but most likely I will fly out of Vancouver. In my experience, for flights overseas, the money you save from flying out of Seattle isn't worth the time and hassle of getting to Seattle (it is different from flights to US destinations).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi everyone!

I'm Evie and plans are well under way to do the camino starting mid-September 2013, starting SJPP, i'm flexible with how long i take, planning on around 6 weeks, give or take a few days or so.

Although i live in Scotland I'll be travelling up from Andalusia, Spain - any suggestions on how best to get to SJPP from southern Spain would be gratefully received!

I hope to be be travelling with a friend (or two) but if things don't work out with that i'm happy to walk on my own. I'll be 53 next year and conscious that time is ticking away... Next year will also be the 10th anniversary of the loss of a loved one, an event that totally changed my life, and i feel that it would be good to walk and reflect on life since then.

Hope to meet some of you along the way :D

I am so jealous all of you Pilgrims starting your walk this year I walked in 2011 and now I'm itching to do it again. I'm in Vancouver and able to answer any questions if you want to get in touch.

WildPlace said:
Hi everyone!

I'm Evie and plans are well under way to do the camino starting mid-September 2013, starting SJPP, i'm flexible with how long i take, planning on around 6 weeks, give or take a few days or so.

Hi, Evie! Probably we´ll see each other at some point at the camino... I´ll leave Brazil at mid-september, and start at SJPP as well. Starting to get very excited. I´ve been planning this for over 2 years now!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Cecelia and everyone on this thread.

My daughter and I walked the Camino in 2005. I think about the Walk often. I hope that I will be able to go at least once more time.

I live in the Vancouver area. I will watch for the meeting announcement.

WildPlace said:
Hi everyone!

Although i live in Scotland I'll be travelling up from Andalusia, Spain - any suggestions on how best to get to SJPP from southern Spain would be gratefully received!

I hope to be be travelling with a friend (or two) but if things don't work out with that i'm happy to walk on my own. I'll be 53 next year and conscious that time is ticking away... Next year will also be the 10th anniversary of the loss of a loved one, an event that totally changed my life, and i feel that it would be good to walk and reflect on life since then.

Hope to meet some of you along the way :D
Hi! I think there are flights from Seville or Jerez to Bilbao but these are seasonal. Look at Vueling and Iberia airlines. Buen Camino!

ornarywomn said:
Aren't you all so excited?!?

Sincerely,
Leslie Edmiston

Very, very excited, Leslie. I just want to pack my bag and go right now! But I still have about 6 months before I'm leaving. Hopefully I'll use those months to save more money, learn spanish and get in better shape!

Re: Class of 2013 Vancouver meeting-JANUARY2013

Since it came up on this thread here is the meeting announcement for the Vancouver/Lower Mainland area:
On behalf of the Canadian Company of Pilgrims we will be holding a meeting in:
JANUARY
1:30 - 3:00pm
Lounge area -
FAIRVIEW BAPTIST CHURCH
1708 - WEST 16TH AVE.
VANCOUVER BC
(That's between Granville and Burrard on 16th)
Everybody welcome!!
Both future and past walkers will be present for questions and answers/opinions on anything camino-related.
:D :) :eek: :shock: :? :lol: :p :roll: :wink: :?: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Hi - first time to post here though I have been dipping in and out over past few minths.

Hoping to do StJPdeP to Pamplona end march/beginning April 2013 - over Easter weekend with family members and children aged 11-13. The children are sports-fit - I have a lot of walking to do to get fit in the meantime.

Looking at flights and short walking days - looks like we would be arriving in Roncesvalles Good Friday, to Bizkarret Holy Saturday and to Zubiri on Easter Sunday night. We would want to attend (some of) the Easter Services - are there Catholic churches in all of these little villages?

Many thanks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Looking at flights and short walking days - looks like we would be arriving in Roncesvalles Good Friday, to Bizkarret Holy Saturday and to Zubiri on Easter Sunday night. We would want to attend (some of) the Easter Services - are there Catholic churches in all of these little villages?
Hi,

Yes, there are Roman Catholic churches in Roncesvalles, Bizkarette and Zubiri. You can attend special mass for pilgrims in the Collegiate Church of Roncesvalles every day at 20:00 hrs. Regarding to Bizkarette and Zubiri the problem is that they have churches but I’m not sure they have permanent priests. It is normal situation in modern Spain when one priest serves his services in different churches situated in diverse places on appropriate days according to special schedule.
Have a nice Camino.

Sincerely,
Oleg

Thanks Oleg for that - we'll just have to hope that we and the priest are in the same place at the same time!

Hi there,
I'm a fifty-something gal from Sydney, Australia who is planning a to walk a short section of the pilgrimage in May 2013. As I lived in France for a few years previously, I am keen to walk there, and have about four days where I could do that before going to a wedding in Vitrac, Dordogne. I know Arles and so was thinking of that as a starting point. Any and all advice, tips and warnings greatly appreciated!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Everyone...I'm going to walk the Camino around mid May 2013...and looking forward to possibility and profound reflections along the way.

Hi Everyone :) as a follow up to my recent post, I'm a Filipina and a resident of my home country since eight years...and lived in Singapore for 20 years before that...I am a healthcare consultant in my advocacy and profession...As it is, I am now planning the itinerary for my pilgrimage to Santiago around 15 May 2013...and any help/recommendations on websites where I can get a listing regarding single rooms w/ ensuite bath toilet in the different towns would be most welcome and appreciated.Looking forward to seeing you at some point along the Camino.

Hi There, My name is Amanda and I plan to walk the Camino in July/August possibly with friends, possibly solo. I am from Tucson, Arizona via Chicago, but teaching in Abu Dhabi at the moment. I have only just decided to do this and am looking forward to planning. Right now I'm just reading everything I can find and talking incessantly about my new obsession. There is so much great information on this website so thank you to all! I will also face the challenge of locating quality gear. I have some at home in the states and will try to have it shipped over. Anyway, thanks again for the advice!

dersybloom said:
Hi There, My name is Amanda...
Hi Amanda! Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your browsing, getting ideas, and seeing the differences of opinion! You'll make a few mistakes (I always have anyway!) so don't worry about that. As long as you're able to keep warm or cool, dry, and have a good pack and footwear you'll have a great time! :D

Buen Camino!

Lotusflower said:
Hi Everyone :) as a follow up to my recent post, I'm a Filipina and a resident of my home country since eight years...and lived in Singapore for 20 years before that...I am a healthcare consultant in my advocacy and profession...As it is, I am now planning the itinerary for my pilgrimage to Santiago around 15 May 2013...and any help/recommendations on websites where I can get a listing regarding single rooms w/ ensuite bath toilet in the different towns would be most welcome and appreciated.Looking forward to seeing you at some point along the Camino.
Hi Lotusflower. - we may well meet as I will be on the Way at the same time. I too have lived in Singapore (in the '60's!) and loved it, also KL and Malacca. I am looking for pelegrinos to share hostal/hotel accn every five days, so I can have a bath(!) and save money. Perhaps we will meet up? I will be in SJPP around 20 May? Maybe too late for you......

Karin

Farmer John said:
Greetings to Jan and Ruth from Farmer John, Iowa, USA! Since you're starting from Le Puy about 2 weeks ahead of me, I don't know if I'll ever catch up to you! I'm keeping a folder of all those folks who are planning on being on the route and it would be great to find some of them wearing the "Badge". Reading this forum daily has totally replaced all other morning readings. Be prepared to becoming addicted :? ! Enjoy your planning, re-planning and musing.
You'll be coming past my house in SW France, look forward to joining you all mid May - only six months away! If you get to Condom before 9 May I'll give you a meal!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So.... the mind preparation and the thinking is now behind me!

Last Friday I´ve bought my first 50% of the tickets. On the 24th of May will I leave Sweden towards Copenhagen airport and finally I´ll end up in Logrono. The day after that I´ll put one foot in front of the other and contiune doing that until I´m standing inside the cathedral i SdC.

It will for sure be a big thing for me (probably even bigger than I can imagine), the idea has followed me for some decades but it is now the time is right.

// J

Valinsky said:
The day after that I´ll put one foot in front of the other and contiune doing that until I´m standing inside the cathedral i SdC.
That's the way to think. One step after the other. One day after the other. Et voila - Santiago! Buen Camino! :D

Hello, my name is Brigitte Klaib and I am planning on leaving SJPdP in September.

I am from Manitou Springs, Colorado. I have started my training, but not nearly ready. I hope that I will have the discipline to be in great shape before I start or my walk may take me two months :wink:

My husband and I spent this past summer in Europe, traveling through Belguim, France, Portugal and Spain. We spent two nights in Santiago, in the Paradora there. It was beautiful. I watched the pilgrims finish their walk but I was completely confused as to what they were doing. But I thought about it a lot and suddenly I had to do it. A calling?

I am going alone on this journey. I am looking forward to meeting new people and maybe some great new friends.

B

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello everyone - My name is Jose and I hail from New Zealand. Hoping to do the walk in September 2013 - (can't wait) - got the map up and sectioned off into 20k lines - how many euros do you think I should put aside for a day please?
Looking forward to meeting you great, interesting people on the way. Amazing how we are all drawn to this walk.... :)

Brigitte Klaib said:
Hello, my name is Brigitte Klaib and I am planning on leaving SJPdP in September.

I am from Manitou Springs, Colorado. I have started my training, but not nearly ready. I hope that I will have the discipline to be in great shape before I start or my walk may take me two months :wink:

My husband and I spent this past summer in Europe, traveling through Belguim, France, Portugal and Spain. We spent two nights in Santiago, in the Paradora there. It was beautiful. I watched the pilgrims finish their walk but I was completely confused as to what they were doing. But I thought about it a lot and suddenly I had to do it. A calling?

I am going alone on this journey. I am looking forward to meeting new people and maybe some great new friends.

B
Welcome Brigitte,
We too were inspired to walk the Camino after visiting Santiago and seeing the pilgrims. It took us 17-18 years to fulfill that dream so I am glad it is only taking you 18 months.
You will find so much here to help you with packing and training ideas. We posted some of our experiences on the blog listed below.
Without the training and advice from this forum we couldn't have managed.
Buen Camino

I live in North Central Florida. Although very flat terrain, I have found that hiking in humidity provides great endurance training. I am 66, but remain extremely active. I kayak, cycle and workout several days per week. For 8 years my husband and I hiked/backpacked and thru-hiked throughout the United States. My biggest disadvantage is my height. At 4ft 8in, I do not have a big stride. But, I make up for this deficit with high energy and endurance. My legs are my greatest asset.

In 2001 I was visiting France and my tour group walked on a small portion of the Camino. We stopped at a hut for a meal of potatoes and cheese accompanied with a glass of wine. The owner showed us his bunk house, where Pilgrims stay the night. Since that time I have wanted to do this walk. Backpacking these past years, I often thought hiking without carrying your food, cook stove and tent seemed ideal.

In 2013 I will be hiking without my husband. He will be my inspiration. After a successful career, followed by a successful retirement of wilderness adventures, he died suddenly of Cancer last March. His birthday is June 15. It would be wonderful to reach the Cathedral on his birthday.

I plan to hike only the Spain route of the Camino. If weather permits, I would like to start mid-April, giving myself sufficient time to reach the end by my goal date.

€83,-
Re: Class of 2013 Vancouver meeting-JANUARY2013

cecelia said:
Since it came up on this thread here is the meeting announcement for the Vancouver/Lower Mainland area:
On behalf of the Canadian Company of Pilgrims we will be holding a meeting in:
JANUARY
1:30 - 3:00pm
Lounge area -
FAIRVIEW BAPTIST CHURCH
1708 - WEST 16TH AVE.
VANCOUVER BC
(That's between Granville and Burrard on 16th)
Everybody welcome!!
Both future and past walkers will be present for questions and answers/opinions on anything camino-related.
:D :) :eek: :shock: :? :lol: :p :roll: :wink: :?: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

What is the Date in January?
I am starting my Camino end of March 2013... and would love to be part of this!
Cheers, Jenny.

Hello All,

My name is Shane, and I hail from Austin, TX by way of Western New York. I am planning to walk the Camino (Frances) beginning in Mid-July from SJPDP, and hope to see some forum members along the way.

Have booked the tickets. Quite like the trekking pants. Not sure about the poles. Georgia is excited and my reticent husband bought us hiking boots! He wont walk it, but he MAY meet us at the end.

Georgia and I leave the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia on 18 March, 2013. Our return tickets are not until 9 May. She's 10 and I'm broken, so it may just take us that long to walk SJPP to SDC.

I've been planning this for over 2 years. I think I've driven some people nuts. But I do see a little spark appear in other people's eyes and know they 'get it'.

So anyone leaving around 20th March? I think we'll beat the bed bugs and heat???

Regina & Georgia

How to Make an Apple Pie:
Step One: Create the universe........

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
HI there
I'm Catherine, living in Brussels, originally from Ireland. I plan to start from SJPdP on 9 April and hope to reach Santiago about 33 days later. I've just gotten the go ahead to take the time off work, so the real planning can now start. I'm so excited ..... :lol:

Hello, I'm Frank,

I'm not new to the forum, but I am new to the 'CLASS OF 2013' I was initially a freshman in the Class of 2009 but have found a need to repeat that year again in 2011 and 2012, I'll probably wont graduate until my travel insurance is refused.

My 2013 Camino will commence soon after my initial arrival in Paris on 22 May. I plan to travel to Madrid for a few days acclimatisation catch the bus to Pamplona then Roncessvalles to start. I have started at SJPP before and as much as I like the scenery the body is not ready for that trek on day one. As I have almost 2 1/2 months in Spain I also hope to find a hospitalaro position or 2 on the way. I saw Johnny Walkers recent post on volunteer placements, unfortunately my Spanish is only good enough to order a coffee an request a bottom bunk an blanket, conversing on the phone without the assistance of sign language is beyond me. I look forward to meet some of you on the way, I will also be reviewing all the which Albergue not to miss posts and making notes for 2013 repeat year.

Regards

Frank

PS. Does anyone know if Iberia airline are as bad for hiking poles as Ryanair? i.e. should
I have checked bags from Paris to Madrid ?

Hello my name is Deanna. My best friend and I are in the beginning stages of planning our trip in 2013. We are in the researching and planning stage as well as squirreling money away. As a mother of teenagers and an elementary teacher, this trip is both invigorating and scarey. I am reading all blogs, postings, and articles so that I can feel as though I have some idea. I just want to take a moment and say thank goodness there is a place like this for me. We are planning on going mid June into July of 2013. After school is let out and our summer vacation has begun. As of now we will be flying into Paris France. That is the end of our progress so far. I have ordered brochures and reading material. We are meeting two Tuesday nights a month to keep each other grounded toward this goal as well as definately increasing the amount of miles I walk daily. Does anyone have suggestions on what we can do to better prepare for this pilgrimage?

Hi Deanna!

Just browse the forum for practical info such as equipment and clothing. Also find a good store that you trust and who can give you advice about anything you need. I usually find that here in the UK the staff are usually outdoors types and know what they're talking about.

If you're doing the Camino as a religious pilgrimage and are a member of a church or other spiritual community you might want to get them involved over the coming months. It can be nice to dedicate the days of your pilgrimage to an individual, family etc. Buen Camino! :D

Hi All,

My name is Peter and my wife Sue and I are doing the camino fromSJPDP starting in the first week of May 2013. We are getting excited now as it's only 6 months away. We hail from a coastal village called Valla Beach in northern New South Wales Australia and would love to meet up with any forum members planning to travel at the same time we are. Have found the forum invaluable for advice and tips and I'm impressed with the openess and good will demonstrated from the members.

Cheers for now

Pete

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I got my tickets!

I posted back in 2011, after my first camino, my plans to go back either in May or September (see the 4th post). Well, now it's decided: I'll be leaving Montréal for Paris-Pau-Oloron on September 5. I have 46 days to walk from Oloron to Fisterra before talking a flight back to Paris on October 23.

So excited.

Hello, I'm Lauren and I walked the Camino with my daughter for 4 days last fall (after a vacation in France with my parents) and FELL IN LOVE with the Camino. I plan, Lord willing, to return in the fall 2013 and walk from SJPdP. I am hoping that my husband can join me this trip and my daughter again (for a couple of weeks). We live in Northern California. Hope to see you on the trail!
Buen Camino!!

Hello all!

I'm from Samantha, Arkansas in the USA, I recently dropped out of college, with intentions of going back to school after I take some time to "find myself".

I plan on going sometime this spring/summer - haven't fully decided.
I'm very excited and hope this experience will help me a lot!

Buen Camino <3

Greetings. I am Fiona from South Africa. I will be doing my first walk from Leon to Santiago in February 2013. Arriving in Madrid 5 Feb and then to Leon, hoping to start walking on 7th. Please tell me there will be others on the road at that time.

€83,-
Hi. My sister and I are arriving in st jean on 18th march and will start walking the next day. She has walked from st jean before and I have walked from Sarria and from astorga. We are both so excited to be able to share this adventure. My feet are itching to be on the Camino again!! looking forward to hopefully seeing some of you there.
Becky

Hello everyone! Greetings from the East Coast, USA!

My name is Sylvia. I am seriously considering walking the Camino beginning in May.
It would be my first Camino, and I'm a bit nervous.

I'm excited to hear all your tips and advice. That will factor into where exactly I begin the walk (debating between starting in Konstanz vs Geneva). Thanks!

Hello - I don't think I have posted here - yet. I've been reading and gathering information. I am Zakosdad (Dale) and my wife is Zakosmom (Arlene) from the Chicago area. After watching "The Way" she turned to me and asked "so - do you want to do that?". We have done a lot of trips to Europe and Israel - we now lead pilgrimage trips for groups - we walk a lot on those but have never done anything close to the Camino - but we are researching - breaking in hiking boots and walking. Our plans are to go from Roncesvalles to Santiago possibly starting mid-August and ending by end of September 2013.

Hello all,

I am Hal, from Cape Town, South Africa. I plan to walk the Camino Frances in September and early October 2013. I have been lurking here for some weeks but, since I booked my flights to Spain yesterday, this seemed like a good time to kind of 'commit' and introduce myself.

The idea of making this pilgrimage has been growing on me for some years, since I first met someone who had walked it about a decade ago, I think. In the last couple of years I have been wrestling in a small way with life's big questions -- who am I and where am I going in life? How can I be most fully alive to myself and to others? How do I either reconcile myself with, or 'correct' some not-ideal-for-me career choices I made years ago? In the end I see these as spiritual questions much more than practical ones.

I will be turning 40 while on the camino, and this seemed a perfect opportunity to take 'time out' and walk and walk and remember how to just be present in the world.

I am both very excited and quite daunted (I'm not in great physical shape, so will be stepping up my use of the beautiful outdoor environment we have around this city -- which is fun and enriching in its own right). But mostly hopeful and happy to be planning this.

Hello there, my name is Esperanza and I am planning to walk the Camino in 2013. I quit my job as a first step on changing my life for something that makes me happy and feel fulfilled.
I find myself on a crossroad trying to decide what to do, so I hope the pilgrimage gives me the clarity I so desperately need. Since I am not constrained when it comes to time I would like to do the Camino Frances. This will be my first time and look forward to insights and advise. I will do these whether I find a friend to walk with or not. Thinking about March time frame, if anyone feels like joining me or has words of wisdom to share with I will greatly appreciate it!

Thank you, and see you en el Camino

All the South Africans planning their walks next year, please check the 'Camino Around the World' section for dates of the upcoming Camino Workshops in Cape Town, Knysna, PE, Durban. Gauteng... These are very worthwhile attending.

amaWalkers Camino will have two groups starting at St Jean in May, one in June and one in September.
I will be taking the Slow-Camino group from Sarria - starting 14th May - so if you pass a group of 'caracoles' on the path to Santiago, give them some encouragement!!

I quit my job as a first step on changing my life for something that makes me happy and feel fulfilled.
You would be surprised at the number of pilgrims in your situation. Many of them spoke of feeling renewed by the time they reached Santiago. They had a lot of time to think through their lives. Good fortune in your quest.

falcon269 said:
I quit my job as a first step on changing my life for something that makes me happy and feel fulfilled.
You would be surprised at the number of pilgrims in your situation. Many of them spoke of feeling renewed by the time they reached Santiago. They had a lot of time to think through their lives. Good fortune in your quest.

Thank you falcon, I have an open mind and open heart to this experience. I am still trying to figure out when I will start but as soon as I make a decision I will send a PM so I can be added to the calendar.

All the tickets bought.
Arriving St Jean 20th April after a week in Ireland
Commence walking the 21st April, 2013
Hope to walk all the way to Finisterre by May 29th ( have 39 days but hope for slow walking and several rest days)
Bags almost packed
Count down now in serious mode and training increasing
Ian and Cath

Trishkerry said:
Hi,
Today I learned that I am allowed to take all my 2013 leave at the same time :D Which means that I SHALL be on the Camino de Santiago route from May 20th to June 21st 2013. I am soooo excited. I have already bored the pants off of anyone that will listen. Most think Im crazy ,hay ho :shock: They all ask me 'Why' ?. I honestly dont know why at the moment, its just something that I feel I have to do. I will probably know why when ive done it.
So I am going to invest in a good quality rucksack and walking boots and start my training ASAP.
Any one else planning to be en route around that time ?

Trish
Ill be there! Flying into Santiago on the 23rd of may and walking from sarria to finisterre before heading back home to co. clare on the 13th of June. Ill be walking with my seven year old daughter. Hopefully see you along the way :D

I'd like to add myself and my daughter to the class of 2013. I'm 31, she will be 7 and we are so super excited about our adventure between the 23rd of may and 13 th of June! Will hopefully walk from sarria to finisterre. :D

Definitely a member of 2013 now having booked flights. Staring Saint Jean 11th May and hopefully going SDP/Finisterra/Muxia/SDP by late June.
Buen Camino
allan

I'm joining the Class of 2013 with a start date of September 1 in St Jean and walking to Santiago. Hope to see others along the way.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Greetings everyone! I'm Mary Margaret from North Carolina. My journey begins on June 16, 2013. My first Camino! I'm starting at Saint Jean. Burn Camino!

Hello, all. My name is Rachael, and I live just north of Seattle, in Washington state, USA. I am SO excited to be finally doing this. It has been a dream of mine since the late 1990's. I will be doing this alone, but hope to take the kids someday.

Leslie/ornarywomn, I will be leaving Le Puy at about the same time. I hope to find someplace special to spend my Easter, since I'll be away from my family. :)

Brushing up on my poor French, and working on my Spanish!

Good journeys to all,
~~Rachael

Hope to meet up with you. No air tickets booked as yet but also hoping for a Sept. 1 start.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wow, what a great place to get information. My name is Darlene and I am planning on walking the Camino this July/August. I'm from Eastern Ontario and plan to start in St. Jean Pied de Port (how big is that mountain anyway???)

I'm daunted for a few reasons: one - I've read about the issues with the summer heat, but as a teacher, this is really the only time I have; two - I'm doing it alone and I am actually quite nervous; three - I would like to do this to raise money for a local hospital that researches and treats people with mental health issues. I have been trying to cope with a daughter who has mental health issues so this purpose is close to my heart and I want it to be successful.

I am so grateful for everyone who posts about their experience so that I have an idea of what I am getting into!

I am Eric. I will start my Camino on Dec 26 2012 & finish around Jan 20 2013. I will be walking alone from Burgos to Santiago. My 'exact route' is not yet final but should be today.

Buen camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi fellow pilgrims!
I'm Lindsey, also from Vancouver (well, suburban Vancouver....) There sure are a lot of us here. I'm a 21 year old uni student who's not in a terrible rush to finish her degree, so I'm off to get more of this so-called "life experience" I've heard so much about...

I just booked my flight! Will be arriving in Spain in late April and starting from SJPP around the very beginning of May... The great thing about it being my second Camino is that I now have friends to visit in Spain before I start!

See you lot there! (and several of you at the meeting Vancouver meeting in January, of course)

My Name is Terry.(Western Australia)
Tactical Paramedic. Taking the trip in Mid/late March 2013.
Have never walked the Camino.
Starting at the beginning in France.
Every site says keep the weight to 10kg or less...hard habit after carrying medical supplies in a pack for so many years.
I am so looking forward to the trip.
For me, it's about the journey, not the destination.

Starting in Le Puy, in April. Very excited!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Linda,
A friend and I are also starting in Le Puy at the beginning of April (we're Canadians). Hope to meet up with you somewhere along the way.

Hi Chuck,

I am planning to start on September 2, so could well bump into you on the way. Pilgrim documentation arrived from the Confraternity this week - so it seems like I've started in a way :)

My name is Charlotte, and I hope to make the pilgrimage in the summer of 2013 after I graduate from university. I'm not sure of the route yet, but it will most likely centre around the camino frances. I am very passionate, maybe even obsessed by the dream of this pilgrimage. Various family members and friends I have told have mentioned on the spot that they'd like to go with me! So we could be quite a large group, even including my 81 year-old Grandmother! She is the most intrepid of us all.

I started getting interested in the pilgrimage when I watched the film, The Way and currently I am rounding off my dissertation on 'The Secularisation of the Camino de Santiago': any ideas and advice on this topic would be most appreciated, it is never too late for inspiration! (My deadline is 21st January, but clearly I won't give up learning at that point!)

Best wishes and hope to get to know the online community here better soon :)

€149,-
hi all,'
Myself and my friend from university done a 200 km portion (pamplona to burgos) of the camino for charity last may, loved it so much going back to do it all again, the whole thing this time. Recently I have been contemplating doing it in true pilgrim fashion and walking straight from where I get off the plane, possibly Marsielle or Biaritz. Anyway a small bit of info about us, were Irish aged 19 and 21, my names Conor btw. Leaving after college exams in may, so shoulf be in france around the 15th. Buen camino.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.