• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2013

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
bismith said:
Sorry my typing was bad; I haven't see when the mtg is! Hopefully something will get posted soon

Oh okay I see... Well I'm watching the facebook page closely, the dates for other meet-ups around Canada have been posted this week, so ours will probably be soon as well. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything!

See you there,
Lindsey

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello. I am from Washington DC and will team up with a friend from Boston to walk the Camino le France's leaving May 10th from SJPP. I am still trying to decide on best air route and train. We are in late 60s. He is a mountain climber and I'm a walker of moderate distances but am training and optimistic. I think this forum is a great way to feel the comrade tie even before we start. We are allowing ourselves 42 days to complete it. Burn Camino.

Hi geriflower,
I am from the DC area and will be making roughly the same trip 40+ days in September. Just turned 60. Training on treadmill when it's cold, Canal Path weather permitting and will walk Sugarloaf in the spring

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello - I'm Suzanne Wilson, from the Panhandle of Florida, and I too will be walking my first Camino in April 2013 from St. Jean and plan to go to the "end of the world", finishing at the sea. I am planning to fly into Paris and possibly leave from Madrid...but that is still in the planning stages.

Hi Suzanne:

My husband and I will be leaving from Roncesvalles the first week of April! This is our first Camino too! :D Perhaps our paths will cross along the way! Hope you have a wonderful experience! Many blessings and Buen Camino!!

Becky

Hey all! I'm Rob, and I'm from London, England. I'll be doing the Camino Frances with my girlfriend, Nicole, starting June 2013. I have been to Santiago de Compostela two or three times before, as I have a lot of friends in Galicia, and have decided to finally do the Camino!

robertfryett said:
Hey all! I'm Rob, and I'm from London, England. I'll be doing the Camino Frances with my girlfriend, Nicole, starting June 2013. I have been to Santiago de Compostela two or three times before, as I have a lot of friends in Galicia, and have decided to finally do the Camino!
Enjoy your planning Rob! Get back with any questions or concerns. Buen Camino! :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello everyone! My name is Trevor and I’m from Texas (USA) and I am planning on hiking the camino francés from Sarria to Santiago in early June 2013. I had originally planned to walk the entire camino francés from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port in May 2012, but medical issues and getting a job teaching English in southern Spain threw a wrench in those plans. However, after school is out this year I plan to walk the required 100km to get a compostela, and from Santiago continue on to Fisterra. I’m a little bummed that, for a variety of reasons, I can’t walk the entire camino this year, but am very excited to spend even one week on this amazing route.

Hi. I am Tom Astrom. I will start my second Camino with start from SJPdP on April 12. I plan to go all the way to SdC and if I am OK go to Finistere as well. Last time I walked in Sep-Oct and had very good weather. Not a single day of rain. I expect it will be colder and more rain this time. I wonder if I need gaiters. I have no experience of using them.

Hi I am Vasco I'm From Fremantle Western Australia. I'm proud to put my hand up to be in the class of 2013. Been wanting to walk the Camino with my brother for my 50th birthday, for about a year now. Never thought I'd be able to, until the other day my brother turns up with two tickets to Porto! Being Portuguese he thought it more appropriate to walk the Camino Portuguese. So we are heading off in mid April. Am doing plenty of research and planning best I can so we are as prepared as we can be. Love to hear from anyone else planning to be there at that time.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
tastrom said:
Hi. I am Tom Astrom. I will start my second Camino with start from SJPdP on April 12. I plan to go all the way to SdC and if I am OK go to Finistere as well. Last time I walked in Sep-Oct and had very good weather. Not a single day of rain. I expect it will be colder and more rain this time. I wonder if I need gaiters. I have no experience of using them.
We usually walk in May and use breathable over trousers. They are as light, or lighter, than gaiters and can be used to keep our legs - including the tops - warm on cold mornings as well as in wet conditions.
Buen Camino

Hi all My husband and I are starting the Camino on the 20th Feb, very new and a little confused but hoping you can point us in the right direction. We will set out from St Jean Pied De Port on the feb 20th and just see where it takes us.. however little concerned that there will be no Hostels open... please could you advise or point to the right forum. Many thanks Julie & Nasos :roll:

I am planning to start out on the Route Frances beginning in St. Jean Pied de Port on Easter Monday. I am from Virginia (USA) and am approaching the 6th decade of my life. Extremely excited to experience the natural beauty of the Camino for the very first time!
Elaine - Class of 2013

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am planning to start out on the Route Frances beginning in St. Jean Pied de Port on Easter Monday. I am from Virginia (USA) and am approaching the 6th decade of my life. Extremely excited to experience the natural beauty of the Camino for the very first time!
Elaine - Class of 2013

Congratulations! I hope to be right behind you, also on my first Camino, and marking my 60th birthday. Perhaps we will meet on the way. Charleen (BC Canada)

from Canada.. starting the Camino Frances May 27 2013

:D hello all! feeling a little shy, but here to introduce myself. i have made the commitment to do the camino starting the 27th fo May this year (2013). I am doing the Camino Frances and am so excited ! I bought my boots today, and cannot tear myself away from these pages. I am a 51 year old woman in reasonably good shape from Canada. I will be doing this on my own. i truly hope to meet up with like minded people. I am doing this for a variety of reasons, including some spiritual and some health reasons. i am answering a call I have avoided for a long time now. delighted to be doing this

Hi all, im Craig, 42 from England and im doing the camino from st jean sometime in may. Dont know exact date as it depends when the army will let me retire lol. Im doing it to symbolise a chapter of my life closing before I start on the biggest adventure of all - civilian life! Im on my own so hopefully meet some people on the way. Sooo excited!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oldsoldier said:
Im doing it to symbolise a chapter of my life closing before I start on the biggest adventure of all - civilian life! Im on my own so hopefully meet some people on the way. Sooo excited!!
Hi Craig! Great plan to mark a change in your life this way, and a great time of year to walk. You'll meet some lovely people. Buen Camino!

Great idea Craig, a very positive decision which I hope helps your transition. I am starting from SJPdp 11th May, so may meet along the way. Thanks for your service and good luck for the future.
Buen Camino
allan

Hello everyone!

I am going to be walking the camino frances mid March 2013 from St Jean. I just booked my flights from London (very cheap - thank you Mr O'Leary!). I'm really excited and have become addicted to this site! I am a bit worried that I haven't and will not have much time to train before I go. I have been going for walks of up to 8km but can't really afford longer than a couple of hours at a time. Also worried about getting lost and not finding a place to stay/eat etc. I'm sure it will be fine!

Anyway I can't wait to go. Hope to see you along the way!

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Also worried about getting lost and not finding a place to stay/eat etc.
Save your worrying! In March you will have very modest crowds. You cannot miss the yellow arrow markings, but a guidebook will be handy for accommodations and some history.

Buen camino.

Hi guys,
My name is Kate and I'm 25, I'm a complete newbe to camino but my mum completed her walk in 2009 and has not stopped talking about her fantastic experience ever since!
A natural gap in my life has led me here and Im very proud to a be a part of 'Class of 2013'
I will be starting my journey on the 30th March 2013 from Jpdp heading to santiago,Id like to know whos path I may cross!
I'am a bit nervous being a single female but reading through the posts on here has really put my mind at ease, now I can concentrate on breaking in the new boots!
Buen Camino everyone :D

I'm Ken,

Just joined the forum yesterday. I'll be 61 in April and planning my first Camino in September of 2013. Trying to learn as much as I can to plan out the best I can. I am already a walker but nothing as long as what will be in store for me on the Camino so I will test myself here in Sedona, AZ. many times before I go.

It is exciting and I am trying hard not to be too rigid in my planning

live loved

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Gina and Georgia -- we are starting from SJPP only a few days ahead of you -- it's very possible we will run into each other at some point (I hope so!). My daughters would be thrilled to meet someone their age on the Camino!

Hello all

My name is Nicole and I am planning to walk a portion of the Camino Frances this year. Still working with friends to determine when but I am aiming for either May or October. Planning to start in Leon and make our way to Santiago in about 2 weeks. Hoping this is do-able :)

All of us planning to go, except one, live in the Atlanta, GA area. So if anyone in the Atlanta area is doing any training walks in the next few months, we would love to join you.

Looking forward to checking out the site and gathering all kinds of great tips on how to best train and best gear to buy.

Can't wait!!

Nicole

start in Leon and make our way to Santiago in about 2 weeks
That is quite achievable. Your start will be gentle enough to allow you to get into shape before hitting the uphill and downhill. I don't think you will have any time at the end in Santiago if it is exactly 14 days, though.

Buen camino.

Hi ALL!!!! I am heading out MArch 9th from Shenzhen China (I am from Chicago IL)
Hoping to walk from Le Puy to the Del Northe on to Santiago. I have ticket.... I have gear.... I have some $$. I even have a letter of insanity. LOL

Well I hope to meet others while there. As of today It is Just me Myself and I.
Counting down till I leave......

tastrom said:

Hi Tom
My niece Lisa and i are also leaving SJPdP on April 12th , hope to see you
Tess

Re: from Canada.. starting the Camino Frances May 27 2013

Forrest said:
:D hello all! feeling a little shy, but here to introduce myself. i have made the commitment to do the camino starting the 27th fo May this year (2013). I am doing the Camino Frances and am so excited ! I bought my boots today, and cannot tear myself away from these pages. I am a 51 year old woman in reasonably good shape from Canada. I will be doing this on my own. i truly hope to meet up with like minded people. I am doing this for a variety of reasons, including some spiritual and some health reasons. i am answering a call I have avoided for a long time now. delighted to be doing this
Hi Forrest, starting out a couple days b4 you. I am so excited. Hope to see you on the trail.
Brent, Vancouver

Kate Webber said:
Hi guys,
My name is Kate and I'm 25, I'm a complete newbe to camino but my mum completed her walk in 2009 and has not stopped talking about her fantastic experience ever since!
A natural gap in my life has led me here and Im very proud to a be a part of 'Class of 2013'
I will be starting my journey on the 30th March 2013 from Jpdp heading to santiago,Id like to know whos path I may cross!
I'am a bit nervous being a single female but reading through the posts on here has really put my mind at ease, now I can concentrate on breaking in the new boots!
Buen Camino everyone :D

I am probably the same as your Mum in that I just can't stop talking about the way this walk has changed my perspective on everything I do!!....don't be nervous as a sola walker, you will have THE most wonderful time, meet so many special people & help is always at hand if needed....not sure when I am heading over, but may see you there....Tracey :D

Oldsoldier said:
Hi all, im Craig, 42 from England and im doing the camino from st jean sometime in may. Dont know exact date as it depends when the army will let me retire lol. Im doing it to symbolise a chapter of my life closing before I start on the biggest adventure of all - civilian life! Im on my own so hopefully meet some people on the way. Sooo excited!!

Hi Craig, I too, at the ripe old age of 42, walked my first Camino Frances, and what a walk!!......a transition for me also, for different reasons, it was very special...
I hope you will find it the perfect way to look back/ forward & enjoy the present too...not sure when I return to do the Norte, but wishing you a Buen Camino :D

Re: from Canada.. starting the Camino Frances May 27 2013

Forrest said:

Hi there, the planning & prep is such a lovely part of the trip too, I spent WAY too long looking on, before participating in these forums.....I feel your excitement at the boot purchase & sometimes when I look at the soles of my walking shoes I ask "how many more miles can we do together?" & grin a huge grin...I hope you will have that same feeling!....on my Camino last year 3 of the most influential ladies I have ever met were your fellow countrywomen & each inspired me for different reasons...the most wonderful company ( only problem is now i have 2 more big trails to walk, due to their insistence!!)....the Camino call can take years to actually action, but once the ball is rolling...WATCH OUT!!.....you will never be alone, because the Camino always sends you the right people at the right time, Buen Camino, may even see you on the road!!..

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola
I'm Kirsten, 47, from Denver, CO. I just booked this morning my tickets to Madrid! I plan on starting in Leon on June 16, planning to finish by or on July 1.
I've got deteriorating knees and issues with my eyes, so I figured now is the time!
I'm not going to be a "true" pilgrim, as I am having a bag transferred and won't take a spot in the hostels...my knees just give me such trouble, I don't want to damage them to the point of not being able to finish...
But I am excited! :D

Hi

My name is keoghy, i'm from Ireland. I'm heading out from St Jean Pied de Port on the 4th of April and i'm only going as far as Puente la Reina (wish i could take more time off) then i'm heading back to St Jean from Pamplona on the 9th April. Anyone looking to share a cab heading that direction on the 9th pm me .

Cant wait now i'm dying to get started

falcon269 said:
start in Leon and make our way to Santiago in about 2 weeks
That is quite achievable. Your start will be gentle enough to allow you to get into shape before hitting the uphill and downhill. I don't think you will have any time at the end in Santiago if it is exactly 14 days, though.

Buen camino.

Thank you Falcon! So how long would you suggest we plan for to start in Leon and end in Santiago? I assume we should allow for shorter days at first as we build up stamina as well as maybe include a rest day. Was contemplating taking 3 weeks off of work leaving a day to adjust to time up front and see Leon. I assume a day to recover when we are done then maybe a day to explore Santiago. Just curious on your thoughts.

Thank you

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think 14 days of walking will do it. The start at Leon is almost custom-made for getting into shape, so if you begin in decent condition, I do not think you will need short days in the beginning. It won't hurt to have a couple of extra days available. I have gotten off the airplane in Leon, walked up the hill to an ATM, and continued on to Villadangos or Mazarife. You, however, will probably want to see Leon on your first day, so factor that in.

If you get to Santiago on time and have some extra days, there is plenty to do!

Fishern1 said:
Thank you Falcon! So how long would you suggest we plan for to start in Leon and end in Santiago?
Hi! Yes, Falcon is right that 2 weeks is fine as long as that doesn't include travel time to/from the Camino. If you want short/rest days, and a couple of days enjoying Santiago maybe add another two or three days. Once you meet your Camino Family you'll probably find yourself wanting to stay with them and end up doing fairly average days.

You'll want to do the 'pilgrim rituals' such as the pilgrims' service in the cathedral (even if you're not religious), so factor that in as well. Buen Camino! :D

Fishern1, have you figured out how you are getting from ATL to Leon? I hope to walk the same path in Sept and haven't even started thinking about travel over to Spain, yet. Laura

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
AtlantaPilgrim said:
Fishern1, have you figured out how you are getting from ATL to Leon? I hope to walk the same path in Sept and haven't even started thinking about travel over to Spain, yet. Laura
Hi Laura. That should be quite easy to organise. I think Delta do a direct flight to Madrid, and from there it should be easy to get a bus or train. You might even be able to get one directly from the airport if you don't want to spend any time in Madrid. Buen Camino!

Thanks Falcon and tyrrek!! I greatly appreciate your guidance!! This forum is fantastic!!

Laura - we are meeting tomorrow for lunch to talk out details and finalize dates and who is going. We are going to go to the Perimeter REI presentation the Atlanta Pilgrims Chapter is doing on Feb 5. Hope you can join everyone - looks like only a few slots are open.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, we'll be there! Hope to find the trail in Leon mid-June, 2013! This is our first hike on the Camino, and plan to be on the trail for 2-3 weeks. I've just written an "Introduction"... so I'll just say that we are a "over-60's couple" living in southern Norway, and look forward to meeting all of you! Meanwhile we walk daily in our hilly neighbohood, equipped with hiking boots and packs... super to be able to learn from everybody's experiences in this forum! !Buen camino!

Hola a todos los peregrinos,
My wife, Mary, and I are very much looking forward to being back on Camino again after a break of two years and to be part of the class 2013. We arrive in Biarritz on 17th March and start from SJPDP 18th.
The information on the Pilgrim Forum is fantastic and as I read my daily email I feel as if I’m on the Camino in spirit at least.
I have to admire the effort that pilgrims make who travel from far away countries to go on the Camino. We consider ourselves very fortunate as it is only a two hour flight from Ireland.
We have always found the Spanish people to be very welcoming, friendly and helpful.
To the debutante pilgrims, I say embrace the spirit of the Camino, actively join the travelling pilgrim family, become a pilgrim. It is not a race, set your own pace, it will become a personal journey. For pilgrims travelling alone, you will only be alone by choice as with any family, the pilgrim family looks after its own .And remember it is addictive, you will be making return visits.
Of course the highlight for us will be meeting again our very good friend Ursula. Ursula represents all that is good about the Camino and what it is to be a good pilgrim.
Hope to meet some of you along the way.
Slán go fóill.
Buen Camino.
Des.
:lol:

cecelia said:
Hello everyone,
Me too - hooray!! I can't wait. I will be walking with my friend and neighbour - La Tortuga- who lurks here but hasn't yet shown her face. We are both turning 70 in 2013 and will be walking from Le Puy to Finisterre in the spring - something about walking that 1000 miles (1600km) that has inspired us. I've walked 2200 km on the Camino Frances since 2003 but it will be the first time for La Tortuga. In the meantime we are walking the hills here on the BC coast to make sure we have the good endurance we will need to make that journey and studying our French and Spanish so we can speak to local people.
And I received my badge from Ivar today so I hope to meet some of you along the way. (Look down at the bottom of the page for info on how to get one too if you're interested.)
Buen camino everyone,
Cecelia
Hey Cecelia,,,maybe I'll see you on route. I'm heading out mid-April from Le Puy going to SJPP and then will decide on the route to the west after.
Bon chemin, Carmel

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
tastrom said:
Hi Tom:
I'll be in Le Puy in mid April walking to SJPP and who knows where after!!! I'm going slow this time keeping the distance under 20km. It's good to know you are still hiking. Have a good one.
Carmel

My name is Karen and I am from Brisbane Australia. I am very excited about joining the class of 2013 as I am currently planning my first camino May this year. I have a way to go in terms of preparation and research but will enjoy participating in the forum and finding as much info as I can. xx

Office girl said:
My name is Karen and I am from Brisbane Australia. I am very excited about joining the class of 2013 as I am currently planning my first camino May this year. I have a way to go in terms of preparation and research but will enjoy participating in the forum and finding as much info as I can. xx
Enjoy it Karen! May is a great time to walk. Everything you need to know is probably on the forum already, but if there's anything specific just shout and someone will have the answer! One of my Camino family on my first Camino was from Brisbane and was a walking advert for Australian tourism. :D Buen Camino!

€149,-
I am in! Bought my plane tickets and will fly from California to Madrid. Round about way, but I will start from SJPdP to walk the Camino Frances on May 31. I had wanted to plan each stage of the camino because of my 4-week time constraints, but after reading such good advice, I will take it one day at a time and enjoy what comes up. I am nervous, excited, and can hardly wait!
Hope to see some of you who have been writing on the forum on the camino.

~Bic

Hola! My name is Adam, i'm from the UK and have never been travelling in my life, other than family holidays when i was a child. I have bee drawn to the camino for some time now and have decided to take the plunge and walk my first camino in September 2013. I have some reservations about travelling alone, mainly the getting to and from my starting point, having never traveled alone before. I'm sure once i get on the road i will be fine though. I am also unsure of which camino to undertake? I am drawn to the Norte as it seems a little quieter and to walk along the coast is very appealing but will i be missing out on the true spirit of the camino Frances? Also i don't speak any Spanish, i have bought some audio cd's so i can learn some basic Spanish. Would this be enough? The reasons for my walking the camino are to gain some confidence in myself, to spread my wings :D and for spiritual reasons ( to spend more time with myself, meditating ). Any advice/ reassurance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Adam

If you don't have decent Spanish skills, the Camino del Norte in September may be difficult for you. Crowding on the Camino Frances will be over, so you won't have that problem. Because it has become the standard camino for non-Spanish, it is the one that generates the anecdotes and memories. The other caminos are usually done after a pilgrim has done the Camino Frances.

Do what feels best to you, and have a buen camino!

Hey Adam, take it easy man lol! Im going alone as well, never done anything like it before but im sure there will be loads of people to help along the way. As long as you have money, a pair of boots and a poncho you'll be fine. Less is more so im told. Im really looking forward to it, off either beginning of april or end of may, depends when the army will release me but I'll let you know how I get on. My biggest issue is planning the initial journey to SJPDP, getting the timings right etc. But if im late im late, so what. It doesnt really matter :)

Hi Class of 2013.

My name is Brian, a Scot living in the Isle of Man, I have read this forum for over two years and found it invaluable in planning previous 'Caminos'. First from Ponferrada to Santiago in September 2011 and last September from Porto to Santiago.
The warmth and support generated through the posts submitted is truly inspiring when you are planning your Camino
I plan to walk the Camino Frances, leaving St Jean Pied de Port on the morning of 23rd April 2013 and look forward to once again enjoying the contemplation the journey offers and the balance it brings to our often frenetic lives.

Buen Camino to all fellow Peregrinos

@ Falcon, thanks for the advice, im sure the wright decision will come to me :)
@ old soldier, your wright i need to chill and go with the flow of the camino, thanks :)

Hi,Can I introduce myself my name is anthony and I live in Yorkshire I hope to do The Way in the begining of June 2013 walking from Leon i am going to walk with a friend called Roger who is my age and three others. We have done some long distance walks before, not quite as long as this one though.
Warm regards to all pilgrims Anthony.

We bought our tickets on Christmas Day. Will be arriving in Paris 19th March, travelling to SJPP 20th. Probably have 2 nights there (jet lag?),that means we'll be leaving SJPP on a Friday. I thought we'd only travel to that first place starting with "O", but then we'll be travelling to Roscenvalle on a Sunday, and I hear nothing is open on a Monday either in Spain. Or am I getting my facts mixed up because I'm really nervous and full of anxiety. As long as we have food and somewhere to sleep I'll feel safe with Georgia (10). And then, there's the whole business of Easter..... (I was trying to avoid crowds)!!! If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans!

Carmel and Tom - we may meet. I'm keeping under 20kms a day and have given myself and Georgia till the 5th May.
Gina & Georgia

Hi Des, I'm more than likely going to run into you and your wife as well. It's so nice to know other people travelling at the same time as us.
Gina & Georgia

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
TrishAlexSage said:
Gina and Georgia -- we are starting from SJPP only a few days ahead of you -- it's very possible we will run into each other at some point (I hope so!). My daughters would be thrilled to meet someone their age on the Camino!

Hi Trish Alex & Sage!! How exciting - more little people!!! I hope we bump into each other. I'll be in SJPP on the 20th March (late, from Paris). I noticed your blogging about it. What technology are you using for that (if you don't mind me asking), I journal myself, but I've been scared off taking too much, so I'm thinking of going back to pen, pad and voice recorder. (lol)

hope to see you and your girls

Gina & Georgia

Looks like we have zero'd in on the first three weeks of June. One friend waiting on work approval of the third week if vacation, another friend needs to see how other plans may play into this trip, my step-mother and I are totally in. So early June walking Leon to Santiago de Compostelo...very excited that it is starting to come together!!!

Hi! I'm in!! We are a party of 4, all in our 50s to mid 60s, not crazy fit, but fit. (We'll see about that this summer!) I need a very patient fellow peregrino to help us with these questions. Our quandary is that we have only about 3 weeks, and I can see by the enthusiasm on the site that this will not be our last Camino. But try as I might, I can't seem to find advice on these questions:
1. Is the Camino Frances much more traveled than the C. Portugese? And if it is, is it true that it's crowded like Walmart?
2. Our available time is about 3 weeks between July 15 to mid August. I KNOW that's the hottest time, but is it impossible? None of us have Bob Dylan's "air conditioned sinuses", and none of us is a crybaby (not much).
3. C.Portugese runs along much roadage. More so than the C. Frances. Is this an issue?
4. For 3 weeks duration, we could start at Porto for the CP. Where's a good starting point on the CF to get to Santiago in 3 weeks?

We're singers, and would like to sing some Latin motets in some of the churches along the way just for the experience. Thank you, patient people for answering!
Ed

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
1. The Camino Frances is much more busy than the Camino Portugues. In July and August it is very crowded.

2. Expect it to be hot and sometimes humid. Nothing is impossible!!

3. Even the path can be pretty hard and compacted, so the paving is only a little bit worse (although asphalt can be quite warm). The worst part of the roads for me is the dangerous stretches where traffic is very anxiety-provoking. It is the law in Spain that pedestrians must wear high-visibility vests when walking on highways. They are a good idea!

4. Leon to Santiago is 14-15 days. Burgos to Santiago is about 22 days, but you can shorten it a day if you try.

Buen camino!

Hello, My name is Patrick. I am arriving in Paris on May 13, and will arrive in SJPdP on May 15, 2013 to begin my first Camino soon after. I am going alone, and plan to meet new friends along the way!

pilgrim b said:
Hi,Can I introduce myself my name is anthony and I live in Yorkshire I hope to do The Way in the begining of June 2013 walking from Leon i am going to walk with a friend called Roger who is my age and three others. We have done some long distance walks before, not quite as long as this one though.
Warm regards to all pilgrims Anthony.
Hi Anthony! If you're anywhere near Halifax and want a pre-Camino chat over a coffee or beer just let me know. I'll offer what little wisdom I have! :D Buen Camino! Keith

€149,-
reg2450 said:
Hi Des, I'm more than likely going to run into you and your wife as well. It's so nice to know other people travelling at the same time as us.
Gina & Georgia
Hola Gina & Georgina,
Thanks for your post, we'll be keeping an eye out for you, a mother and daughter combination will be easily recognisable. You will enjoy Easter ( Semana Santa), we have over the years. I can understand your anxiety but once you get started and begin to meet other pilgrims your anxiety will disappear, it will be a beautiful journey.
Buen Camino.
Slán go fóill.
Des :lol:

Oldsoldier said:

Hi Craig. The class of 2013 with a subclass of 42 year olds..I am pleased to be a member of both. I am also starting a new chapter and taking this journey as a solo traveller. Stopping off in the uk before heading to Spain to take my first tentative steps late April. Happy planning...it's all incredibly exciting. Enjoy!! All the best, Claire.

Hi all

We have been part of the Class of 2013 for the past 9 months or so but have today needed to make the call to postpone our next Camino to 2014. Our intention had been to start at STPDP on April 21st. We won't know our new departure date in 2014 for a while yet. Good luck to all of the class of 2013. You will have our thoughts and envy.

Ian and Cath

€46,-
Hi Claire. I cant wait. Im at work now and they all know im like a caged animal lol, I need to be free! Find out in the next few days when I'll be released, then I'll just go a week after. Im not planning anything really apart from my flight out. I'll pack a bag and just do it! I hope to have areas of solitude on the route where I can sing aloud with my ipod on without the embarrasment of offending other travellers lol. Good luck!

Hi Anthony! If you're anywhere near Halifax and want a pre-Camino chat over a coffee or beer just let me know. I'll offer what little wisdom I have! :D Buen Camino! Keith[/quote]

Thanks for that Keith, much appreciate your offer, we are going on the 6th of June and we have sorted most of it out ourselves.Just a few loose ends to tie up before we go .We are in York and not sure if we will get into your beautiful walking country before then, as we do have regular walking commitments twice a month. But who knows, we would love to be able to make it!
Do you know the time of the service that the Cathedral runs each day with that huge incense ball swinging we would hate to miss it when we arrive?
warm regards Anthony :D

pilgrim b said:
Hi Anthony! If you're anywhere near Halifax and want a pre-Camino chat over a coffee or beer just let me know. I'll offer what little wisdom I have! :D Buen Camino! Keith

Thanks for that Keith, much appreciate your offer, we are going on the 6th of June and we have sorted most of it out ourselves.Just a few loose ends to tie up before we go .We are in York and not sure if we will get into your beautiful walking country before then, as we do have regular walking commitments twice a month. But who knows, we would love to be able to make it!
Do you know the time of the service that the Cathedral runs each day with that huge incense ball swinging we would hate to miss it when we arrive?
warm regards Anthony :D[/quote]

The pilgrim mass is at 12 noon but the botafumeiro is not swung at every pilgrim mass but if it's any consolation ;-) it was swung at my 1st pilgrim mass last September. Fingers crossed your luck is in, best position in the cathedral to see it if its used is either to the left or right of the main alter rather than in the main body of the cathedral.

Buen camino

Seamus

Do you know the time of the service that the Cathedral runs each day with that huge incense ball swinging
It may swing at any mass. I have seen it three times in one day, and one time at a special 2130 mass for a convention that was being held at the Parador hotel. It swings for free only a few times each year. All other times someone or some group has paid for it. If you see a large, identifiable group at any mass, say wearing the same scarf or shirt, they may have paid for the swinging. The last I read on the cost, it was 300E for the swinging, and must be arranged a week or more in advance.

falcon269 said:
Do you know the time of the service that the Cathedral runs each day with that huge incense ball swinging.

I have never seen it on any of my 3 caminos, I guess I will have to keep walking the Camino until I do? Maybe on this years Camino ?

pilgrim b said:
...we are going on the 6th of June....
You've chosen a good date to start. The 6th of June is D-Day! :D Yes, take the advice above. Mass at noon and sit at the sides. It's 50/50 whether or not it will swing really. Get to the cathedral about half an hour before to get a seat! Buen Camino!

€149,-
Hello, all! My name is Rachael and in two months I will be on a plane to Paris. My train tickets to Bayonne and SJPdP are purchased and have arrived; I have my first three days of rooms/beds booked; and I walk through the gate in St. Jean the morning of March 27. I can barely stand the excitement!

I'm taking my multi-day Osprey Aura 65 pack (since it seems silly just to buy another pack that will probably weigh about the same empty), but obviously I am leaving most of my camping/backpacking essentials at home. :D

Buen Camino Rachael! Yep, your backpack will be fine, and if it isn't already it will become your friend. It's the overall weight that matters, and the extra space will be useful for souvenirs when you get to Santiago (if that's where you're aiming for).

I can't remember thinking on any of my Caminos that I would have walked further, faster, better without my backpack. It was just part of me. I hope you feel the same on your Camino! :D

tyrrek said:
Buen Camino Rachael! Yep, your backpack will be fine, and if it isn't already it will become your friend.

It has absolutely been my friend on many adventures, and to "dress it up" a bit in honor of this new adventure I've applied my American Pilgrims patch, and will be putting on my Camino forum patch when it arrives.

The weather here in the Seattle area is often perfect for walking in the rain, and I suspect I'll be doing a fair amount more in Spain. But unlike here at home, I won't be camping in it! :wink:

And thank you so much. I have wanted to do this since the late 90's, and I can't believe it's finally happening.

Oh, and indeed, I am hoping to get to Santiago de Compostela, and then on to Muxia. I've hopefully given myself plenty of time to walk AND to see some of the historical glories along the way. We shall see!

Re: Re: Class of 2013

Oldsoldier said:

Guys, I have a bit of a dilema! I had my rough plans and just been told they will release me on 26 April from the army. Ordinarily this would be fine but my mate has told me he has got me a music festival ticket for 24-27 May as a gift on leaving the army. Great, but this means with travelling to/from Spain I will only have 20 days on the route. If I wanna get to santiago which I do, I obviously dont have enough time to leave from SJPDP. My question is to all the seasoned camino travellers: where would I start if I can only be 20 days out from Santiago? Someone please light my way!!!

Hi!

Somewhere around Burgos would be good. Brierley's guide suggests that would be about 19 days. Burgos is easy to get to from Madrid or Valladolid airports.

Buen Camino!

Rachael. You will find (if you haven't already) lots of advice about pack size in the threads. The consensus, and one I agree with is that it needs to be right (comfortable) for you and big enough to hold what you think necessary. After that size doesn't matter - you having the discipline not to overload it is what matters! :)
But one reality check. Carry on size restrictions!
allan

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am probably the same as your Mum in that I just can't stop talking about the way this walk has changed my perspective on everything I do!!....don't be nervous as a sola walker, you will have THE most wonderful time, meet so many special people & help is always at hand if needed....not sure when I am heading over, but may see you there....Tracey :D[/quote]

Hi Tracy, Im really excited about it all now and looking forward to sharing my stories when Im home :)
We may pass at some point! :D

Hi Folks ,

my name is Andy from Ireland. I plan ( all being well) to depart from St Jean on the 30th of April and be in Santaiggo for the 30th of june. Looking forward to meeting and talking with some of you,

1st problem ryanair have moved my flight to late evening so at best i would be in St Jean at 11.00pm. Will Albeberques remain open for late arriving guests if they have booked and also what time does the pilgrim office in St Jean open to pick up credential.

Many thanks,
Andy

The Pilgrim Office stays open until the arrival of the last train (plus a few minutes). If you are on that train, they will help you find a bed. If you are arriving by other means, they may not be open at that late hour.
the Amies du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle In season is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h

Hi,
My name is Catherine, I am 47 and I live in Maine. I am planning on beginning my journey on June 23, 2013 and go from St.Jean all the way to the end. I have over six weeks which I feel will give me plenty of time to walk and to explore.
I will spend three days in Germany visiting a friend first to get rid of jet lag, then be on my way.
I do have a question or two...are accommodations easy to get in early August in Santiago??? Want to have a nice hotel stay when I am finished before heading home. Also, this question is for those that might know...would it be best to fly into Bilbao (from Germany) and take a train to St. Jean Pied de Port or just take the train from Germany into Pied de Port? Not quite sure nor is my friend in Germany.
I am sure I will have other questions..
I can't wait!!!

Hi everyone-
My reservations are made and I am flying from Florida, USA to Madrid and then on to Pamplona on May 2nd.
I will stay the night in Pamplona on May 3rd to rest up and then work my way to St Jean. I will start my walk on Sunday, May 5th and have already made reservations at Orisson for that night.
I would like suggestions on places to stay in Pamplona and in St Jean- I will want a hotel- or something where I can get a private room for some needed rest before setting out on my adventure. I have been reading this forum for over a year now, and am so excited that I will be going very soon!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
would it be best to fly into Bilbao (from Germany) and take a train to St. Jean Pied de Port or just take the train from Germany into Pied de Port
I think that Bilbao to SJPdP may be difficult. Trains are not popping up for Bilbao to Hendaye, Bayonne, or Irun. From Germany you probably would go to Paris, then Bordeaux, then Bayonne for the connecting train to SJPdP. Lots of Germans walk the Camino, so there must be some way to do it!

Buen camino!

Frankfurt to Bayonne:
Leaving at 06h00 06h29 09h01 12h05 16h57 16h57 06h00 06h00
From 91.00 € 192.60 € 107.40 € 159.40 € 101.60 € 84.00 € 154.30 € 146.00 €
Journey time 11h32 1 connection 11h03 2 connections 10h31 1 connection 10h27 2 connections 14h59 2 connections 15h12 1 connection
It looks like a train station change in Paris.

tyrrek said:
pilgrim b said:
...we are going on the 6th of June....
You've chosen a good date to start. The 6th of June is D-Day! :D Yes, take the advice above. Mass at noon and sit at the sides. It's 50/50 whether or not it will swing really. Get to the cathedral about half an hour before to get a seat! Buen Camino!

Thanks for that good advice we will do just that I can't wait to get started we are all crossing off the days to D -Day and we really appreciate your sound advice.

Warm regards Anthony

Al the optimist said:
But one reality check. Carry on size restrictions!
allan

That IS a definitely good point, but I'm taking my new trekking poles and my not-so-new SA knife, both of which will have to be checked anyway. :) I have an Osprey Airporter that fits my pack pretty well, and weighs very little. I have a light shopping bag in which I'll carry on my documents/hard copies of reservations, prescription meds, money/cards, a shirt change, and my phone. I'm flying Iceland Air, which seems to have a pretty good reputation with luggage.

Or I could punt and buy the smaller Aura 50, which fits my 185 cm frame and child-bearing hips just as well, and is short enough to carry on. Hmmmm...Al's Sporting Goods has it on sale for 139 USD, which is a very good price. I could not replace everything for that.

I shall think on this. Thank you!

Count me in. Am planning to arrive CDG on 01 May at 09:40. Next step is to figure how to get to SJPDP that day. Am a terrible traveler, and crossing that many time zones will put me immediately to sleep. Am an old guy from South Texas and doing this solo but hoping to link up with others, hoping not to slow them down. Somehow I feel like I really have to do this.
I have not figured out how to use the "Introduction" part of the site.

Luddite that I am, I hope this gets posted :) I am starting out on April 17, my 71st birthday, from Roncesvalles. My training has me up to about 12 miles with 15 lbs but only on our local golf course in the early morning. I live in a very flat area of Northern California. At least the golf course undulates! I'd love to hear from anyone in the SF Bay area and anyone who will be on the CF when I am. And, also, I have no Spanish. I'm trusting that I'll muddle through. Ultreia!

Karin

I'm still trying to decide how to get to St Jean PdP. Flying to Madrid and getting to Pamplona seems straightforward, but then to St Jean looks like a challenge. Flying to Paris and train to SJ seems easier. Is it really? BTW, the van no longer is avail from Pamplona to SJ. I sent them an email, and they responded in the negative.
I would like to get as close to (or in) St Jean on the day of arrival, then sleep for a long time. Jet lag kills me.
I'm ready to buy ticket, but need some advice. One comment suggested that Paris is really expensive, so staying there is not much of an option for me.
Many thanks, Paul

Hi Paul,
I use a different approach from the west coast of Canada to get to SJPP. I take a direct flight to either London or Paris , both about 9 hours from here and then take a hop over to Biarittz (on the coast of France) on the same day. I stay over a night or two in Biarittz and then get a train to SJPP. There are 2 youth hostels (I'm in my 60s), lots of fairly inexpensive hotels in the historic part of town and lots of upscale hotels with spas and all in the newer part of town. The old town and one of the youth hostels are very close to the train station (2 blocks for the hostel). I get on the train about 8:00 (change trains in Bayonne which is 10 minutes or so away) and arrive in SJPP about 10:30 or so. After a stop at the Pilgrims' Office I buy some supplies for the trip over the mountain and walk the 8 or 10 km up to Orrison to spend the night. That just leaves about 17km to get to Roncesvalles the next day which is very manageable.
If you stay overnight at SJPP, Huntto (4 or 5km up the hill) or Orisson you will likely have a communal dinner and meet 20 or so new people who will feel like old friends by the time you get to Santiago because you'll keep meeting them here and there along the way.
It's much easier than going via Madrid or Pamplona.
Buen camino

zilla.kzilla said:
Luddite that I am, I hope this gets posted :) I am starting out on April 17, my 71st birthday, from Roncesvalles. My training has me up to about 12 miles with 15 lbs but only on our local golf course in the early morning. I live in a very flat area of Northern California. At least the golf course undulates! I'd love to hear from anyone in the SF Bay area and anyone who will be on the CF when I am. And, also, I have no Spanish. I'm trusting that I'll muddle through. Ultreia!

Karin
HI Karin,
I'm from north of you- in BC. I will be on the camino at that time but starting from Le Puy so will be behind you. But I'm close to your age so just thought I'd wish you a happy & interesting trip. Of course many of the Spanish people you will encounter in restaurants, stores etc don't speak English, but there always seems to be someone around who does, even if it's as a second or third language and people are generally very helpful. Also, since you don't seem too worried about it you're probably already very good at sign language :D
I don't know if you've seen the statistics that Johnnie Walker has posted here but just for your interest: of the 192,000+ people from at least 133 different countries who walked the camino last year just over 7071 were from the US and just under 2904 from Canada. It's quite wonderful in my experience to be in such a minority - so enjoy!!
Muy buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Office girl said:

Hi Karen, the prep & planning are a big part of the journey...enjoy !!...
I too travelled from Auz last year (Perth) & started in April in SJPP, walking solo & had the most amazing experience...are you walking the Camino Frances route?..if so any q's, just ask away!!

There are plenty of trains throughout the day the go direct from CDG airport to Bayonne, then change and take the local,train to SJDP. I am getting thenTGV from Gare Montparnasse at 12:27 (runs almost daily as far as I can ascertain) and it arrives in Bayonne at 17:32, then wait half an hour for the regional train from Bayonne to SGDP which gets in at 19:30 and it is then just a short walk down to the Pilgrims' Office and accommodation. (I sourced my info from Raileurope.com.au and made my bookings in line. so much cheaper than from a travel agent.) I also elected to print my ticket at the station. They email you confirmation of your booking along with a booking reference number and also info on how to use the ticket machine at the railway station. It is quite easy to do so don't panic.

Buen Camino

Cejanus said:
There are plenty of trains throughout the day the go direct from CDG airport to Bayonne, then change and take the local,train to SJDP. I am getting thenTGV from Gare Montparnasse at 12:27 (runs almost daily as far as I can ascertain) and it arrives in Bayonne at 17:32, then wait half an hour for the regional train from Bayonne to SGDP which gets in at 19:30 and it is then just a short walk down to the Pilgrims' Office and accommodation. (I sourced my info from Raileurope.com.au and made my bookings in line. so much cheaper than from a travel agent.) I also elected to print my ticket at the station. They email you confirmation of your booking along with a booking reference number and also info on how to use the ticket machine at the railway station. It is quite easy to do so don't panic.
Buen Camino

Cejanus,

Unfortunately, there are NOT "plenty of trains fhrough out the day that go direct from CDG airport to Bayonne". In the current schedule four times a day you can take a SNCF TGV (Tres Grand Express) from CdG Paris 2 airport to BORDEAUX and then connect with another TGV to Bayonne and a TER line 62 train from Bayonne to SJPdP.

However as you note the route is generally a TGV train from the Paris Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne and then a regional TER line 62 train from Bayonne to SJPdP. Generally there are 4 TGV trains to Bayonne from Paris Montparnasse each day and many TER line 62 trains from Bayonne to SJPdP.

If you wish you could take the regular overnight train from Paris Gare Austerlitz to Bayonne to connect with a morning TER line 62 train to SJPdP.

You can see schedules up to 3 months in advance at this SNCF (French Nationl Rail Road ) link. http://www.voyages-sncf.com/. You NEED a reservation for any TGV train and it is cheaper to book the ticket well in advance. You can book both tickets on-line at the same time. However you can also book everything with a live clerk at the station the day of departure if you wish. If you take the mid morning train from Paris you can be in SJPdP by late afternoon.

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Karin -

We share the same birthday, but we'll be arriving in Madrid on the 17th, so you will be 1 - 2 day's ahead of us. I'll be 66 and we are walking our first Camino in celebration of the start of the next phase in life, as I am retiring on the 10th. Sandy & I both hope to meet up with you somewhere along the way.

Buen Camino!

The 2 hour bus ride goes from Pamplona to Roncesvalles. From there the bus will take you over the mountain to St. Jean, but not in the winter season, which begins in mid September. That is to avoid surprise snowfalls in the mountains which may block the passes. Then you might be able to find a taxi, no guarantees. They too don't want to get caught. In Roncesvalles I was stuck. Couldn't get over the mountain on Sept 12th. So my Camino started from there, rather than St. Jean. Malcolm

Larry DeMaster said:
Karin -

We share the same birthday, but we'll be arriving in Madrid on the 17th, so you will be 1 - 2 day's ahead of us. I'll be 66 and we are walking our first Camino in celebration of the start of the next phase in life, as I am retiring on the 10th. Sandy & I both hope to meet up with you somewhere along the way.

Buen Camino!

Great - and congrats on your retirement! I did it 18 months ago and it took me this long to press the "buy now" button. I'll be taking it easy the first few days - especially if it rains - so you may catch up.

€46,-
Thanks for the update Margaret - greatly appreciated. I chose the 12:27 from Gare Montparnasse as it gives me breathing space after my long flights.

I have followed your blogs and you have been my inspiration for this journey. Thanks and blessings
Cejanus

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.