• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2014

Hello every body, my name is Emanuel from Herzlia, Israel (45 min drive from Jerusalem), was 50 this January. Going from SJPP on the last week of May and June 2014. C U there.
Buen Camino!
Emanuel
Hello. I shall be starting then also. See you on the trail. Ed

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:
Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2014?
Buen Camino
Arn

Hello,

Lisa from Cape Cod, planning late May or late June 2014, depending upon if I take my 10 year old son along. Would love advice on this. I'm disinclined to take the camino frances, due to crowds. I'm more interested in the Portugese, primitivo, or norte routes. Any input is most welcome. Gracias, y buen camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Had to laugh at the posting...I felt the same way when I finally told people about it...And yes the forum is addictive...its the first thing I do in the am over coffee and I find myself almost falling asleep at night staying up to read...its either that or one of the books I have. It is like an addiction ...just cant wait to get my next fix!

Welcome to the class of 2014...Im going in Sept!
It is addicting.. I am going late May -June 2014. Already have my packing list....crazy!:)

Hello fellow walkers! I will be starting my journey with a friend in mid-April. We will be in Lourdes for Saint Bernadette's feast day and then start the CF from SJPP. It's a dream I've had for a while but didn't think I would get to until much later in life, and so I feel humbled that I get to walk so soon! Looking forward to meeting many of you on our way :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi All :)

Thought I'd take the leap and introduce myself since I've been abusing this forums resources recently :D

I'm Si, 29 and living in Plymouth, UK. A friend and I are doing the majority of the Northern Route next April. Starting in Santander as it means I can catch the ferry from Plymouth (plus we can't get that much time off work to do all of it.... yet), so literally starting the walk at my front door. We're both ex-military and experienced yompers so hopefully this won't be too much of a culture shock... Famous last words?! Anyway, I've wanted to do this walk since I was a kid but wanted to wait until I felt like I NEEDED to do it rather than wanted. After a rough year now feels right.

I'll be stealing more of your tips/advice over the coming months so hopefully catch you around the forums and by the look of it I might even see some of you there :)

Thanks in advance!!

Welcome Si. If you go round on the Barbican to a point facing across to the marina you will find your first shell, up on the wall, facing across the harbour. Underneath is a plaque saying about Plymouth being one of the official leaving ports for the Camino.

Buen Camino

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Here is the pic of the shell and plaque at Plymouth harbour.

Blessings
Tio Tel

Attachments

• shell Plymouth.jpg
    shell Plymouth.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 26
  • shell plaque.jpg
    shell plaque.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 25
Hello fellow walkers! I will be starting my journey with a friend in mid-April. We will be in Lourdes for Saint Bernadette's feast day and then start the CF from SJPP. It's a dream I've had for a while but didn't think I would get to until much later in life, and so I feel humbled that I get to walk so soon! Looking forward to meeting many of you on our way :)
So glad you can finally make it happen!
Buen Camino!:cool:

Hi All :)

Thought I'd take the leap and introduce myself since I've been abusing this forums resources recently :D

I'm Si, 29 and living in Plymouth, UK. A friend and I are doing the majority of the Northern Route next April. Starting in Santander as it means I can catch the ferry from Plymouth (plus we can't get that much time off work to do all of it.... yet), so literally starting the walk at my front door. We're both ex-military and experienced yompers so hopefully this won't be too much of a culture shock... Famous last words?! Anyway, I've wanted to do this walk since I was a kid but wanted to wait until I felt like I NEEDED to do it rather than wanted. After a rough year now feels right.

I'll be stealing more of your tips/advice over the coming months so hopefully catch you around the forums and by the look of it I might even see some of you there :)

Thanks in advance!!
Hi Si!
You are not stealing tips, this is the beginning of your Camino! Your Camino has already started and I hope and pray that you will find solace, peace and understanding from your rough year.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Let this be inspiration for everyone that is in the class of 2014! I came across this blog and this particular youtube video made by an 8 year old little girl who walked the Camino right to Finisterre with her family. It brought tears to my eyes!

I just re watched this and noticed that her father is disabled on crutches and she has a younger 6 year old sister and yet the whole family did it... it goes to prove we are stronger than our disabilities or our age or our size. We are strong because what is inside us is bigger than our physical selves. KUDOS on this family!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all :) I'm more excited about this trip than anything I've ever done tbh. Considering I've been lucky enough to have quite an action filled life, that tells me I'm in need of this trip.

Thanks for that Tia, I've lived in Plymouth for 13 years now (originally from Lancashire) and I'm always on the Barbican, surprisingly I've never seen that before. Would make a perfect start to the trip for the photo blog :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We found it by accident this year. We walked off the Hoe and round along the waterside to the Barbican and there it was. We didn't have a camera with us so Terry went back from our 'hostal' specially to take the photos. :)

We found it by accident this year. We walked off the Hoe and round along the waterside to the Barbican and there it was. We didn't have a camera with us so Terry went back from our 'hostal' specially to take the photos. :)

Discussed it with my friend today, we're gonna go find it this week and make it our 'official' starting point, be handy for the photo blog :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
237 for me - hooray, so looking forward to starting again and finishing what I had planned to do this year. Never mind.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello All,

I hopefully will be starting from SJPDP on Monday 25 August 2014, at the planning stage for arriving on the Sunday . Training in the lake district where I live, and reading everything I can.

All the best John

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi. I'm 60. I have a lung condition which is a bit of a problem for walking up hills so I'm planning to start in Roncesvalles in early April 2014. I've started walking 6 km to work 3 - 4 times a week . I'll probably be doing it alone. Long service leave from work and family... I'm allowing 6 weeks to do the walk. I have my pack, my boots and most of my gear but feeling a bit of trepidation about going alone. Before I go I'll try to walk home from work as well. Can I get a pilgrim's passport in Roncesvalles?

Maggie,

Welcome to the Forum!

I am certain that you will find much helpful information here as you plan your Camino. Pilgrims who are Forum members are always eager to share their varied experiences and advice.

April is a popular month beginning the Camino; you certainly won't be alone on the path. Wherever you might stop it is easy to meet and greet others.

Before you begin walking you can pick up a Credential in the pilgrim office at Roncevalles Monastery.

It's great that you are training now for next spring. Be sure to train wearing/using the kit that you plan to carry. Tried and true is always better than new and unproven. For further training comments and tips read this earlier Forum thread. >> http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/for-your-own-sake-come-prepared.19228/

Trepidation mixed with anticipation are common emotions before each journey for most of us who walk. Personally I take a deep breath, hoist my pack and just set out while offering silent thanks for the joy of another beginning; once on route I try to take it as it comes enjoying the good and bearing the bad, after all this is life.

Happy training and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Hi Margaret. Thank you for those reassuring words . The other question I have is about money. When I went to Europe last, I took a travelex card loaded with Euros. I don't want to carry loads of cash. Approximately how much will I need each day if I stay in refugio s and probably eat a pilgrims meal out each night? I will also need to organise breakfast and lunch each day.
When I trekked the Himalayas a very long time ago I ate lots of hard boiled eggs and chappati.
Eggs were very portable.

Maggie,

I usually budget 30 to 35 euros per day for sleeping in albergues, eating a menu de dia, enjoying simple breakfast, various coffees, vino tintos, and, of course, freshly squeezed zumo naranja or orange juice. Like yourself I often munch hard boiled eggs; boiled with an invaluable water coil. One now traditional splurge is a celebratory flute of French champagne at O Semaforo , the hotel /bar next to the lighthouse and the famous Camino marker of kilometer 0 at 'the edge of the world' in Finisterre. After 50 days of walking it is always a delicious treat to sit in comfort (even heated in winter!) while watching the horizon and the endless pewter sea... I silently toast my journey and ponder eternity.

Margaret Meredith

Hi, am looking to do my first Camino in May 2014, just before my 50th birthday. Have been planning for a while, now I've gone public at last :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, am looking to do my first Camino in May 2014, just before my 50th birthday. Have been planning for a while, now I've gone public at last :)

Wonderful!I also am planning my first camino next year and hope to spend my 49th birthday on the way .
Buen Camino :)

Attachments

• upload_2013-9-17_18-10-56.png
    upload_2013-9-17_18-10-56.png
    95 bytes · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:
My mom (68), my daughter (12) and I (42) plan to walk in June 2014. My mom and I walked for 2 weeks in 2012 and can't wait til June gets here! June was great walking weather and low numbers last time. we are from northwestern WI and looking to see if Eastern MN has a group or people interested.

My mom (68), my daughter (12) and I (42) plan to walk in June 2014. My mom and I walked for 2 weeks in 2012 and can't wait til June gets here! June was great walking weather and low numbers last time. we are from northwestern WI and looking to see if Eastern MN has a group or people interested.
Buen Camino Berta!!

I'm not a hot weather fan and would like to go when chances of rain are lowest
I'm like you, don't like heat, don't like rain. After checking the historical meteorological charts I decided Autumn was the time for me. I left SJPDP September 1st arrived SDC 14th October. Sunny days with avg max temp of 25C. Light rain showers only during the last week in Galicia. I'm doing it again same time in 2014.
Buen Camino.

Hello again 2014ers.

This might be a motivational post to help you stick at your training.

I used one of those all-singing all-dancing weight machines at my local chemist the day before I started my Camino training in earnest on 17th May. The print out told me I was 5ft 10.4 inches, 14stone 10lbs (93.6kgs) with a BMI 29.2.

This one tells me I'm now 5foot 10inches (I've shrunk!), 13stone 8lbs (86.5kgs) with a BMI of 27.3. A great unexpected bonus.

I now have the challenge of continuing my training through the winter months as I aim for late May 2014 (last week?) and leaving StJPP. I've found the perfect motivational tool for me during those winter months.

I've explained the Cruz de Ferro to family and friends and asked that when we all get together this coming Christmas they each consider giving me a stone to lay at the cross for them. I reckon the knowledge that those stones are in my pack and carry whatever they have put into them will keep me going during the winter - then through my Camino itself.

Keep at the training folks, there may be a reward before your Camino that you don't expect.

Update 16 November 13

The collection grows! Looks like I might need a lightweight Camino wheelbarrow at this rate:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
John,

Well done with your training so far. I'm yet to officially start mine but as I'm not walking the Camino until around August '14 then I have a bit more time.

I love your idea of leaving stones from family and friends along the route, it's inspired me to do something similar on my own camino.

Keep up the good work.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Posted about setting off late August but now have to change my start dates . Oh the joy of planning but I hope all will be well in the end. Thanks for reading this folks.

Hey Mitch

The more stones your family give you to carry, the more the scales will show you have lost!!

Don't tell everyone, the Camino will be full of people huffing and puffing under the weight of rucksacks filled to the brim.

Cruz de Ferro will be higher than Everest :)

Hello again 2014ers.

This might be a motivational post to help you stick at your training.

I used one of those all-singing all-dancing weight machines at my local chemist the day before I started my Camino training in earnest on 17th May. The print out told me I was 5ft 10.4 inches, 14stone 10lbs (93.6kgs) with a BMI 29.2.

This one tells me I'm now 5foot 10inches (I've shrunk!), 13stone 8lbs (86.5kgs) with a BMI of 27.3. A great unexpected bonus.

I now have the challenge of continuing my training through the winter months as I aim for late May 2014 (last week?) and leaving StJPP. I've found the perfect motivational tool for me during those winter months.

I've explained the Cruz de Ferro to family and friends and asked that when we all get together this coming Christmas they each consider giving me a stone to lay at the cross for them. I reckon the knowledge that those stones are in my pack and carry whatever they have put into them will keep me going during the winter - then through my Camino itself.

Keep at the training folks, there may be a reward before your Camino that you don't expect.
Hi John! Great post! I am leaving the last week of May 2014. Keep up the good work and maybe our paths will cross next year!
Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello All,
I'm planning my Camino for 2014 - dates are open now but likely Sept/Oct... or perhaps May/June. Really enjoy all the posts and have learned a lot. I've done quite a bit of hiking, but nothing longer than a week backpacking, and then only 5-10 miles per day. All the gear tips really are useful, or from my other experiences, right on. I'll be walking alone and plan to take up to 40 days to complete the SJPP - Santiago distance. Look forward to seeing other 'class members' along the way.
Buen Camino
Dave

Hello All,
I'm planning my Camino for 2014 - dates are open now but likely Sept/Oct... or perhaps May/June. Really enjoy all the posts and have learned a lot. I've done quite a bit of hiking, but nothing longer than a week backpacking, and then only 5-10 miles per day. All the gear tips really are useful, or from my other experiences, right on. I'll be walking alone and plan to take up to 40 days to complete the SJPP - Santiago distance. Look forward to seeing other 'class members' along the way.
Buen Camino
Dave
Buen Camino. If you decide on May 2014 we may run into each other....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Patti - I'm starting in September but not until the 15th... so you'll be well ahead of me

May is good!! Beautiful flowers, gentle temperatures, long days and plenty of optimists

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
anyone else starting Sept 1 2014?
Hi Patty - My dates are still open, but early Sept for sure... depends on airfares, etc. It's not exactly a cakewalk from So California to SJPdP

Buen Camino Dave. I am walking the last week of May through June 2014....we just might cross paths if you decide to go in the Spring!:cool:
Hi Rosemary, Would be nice - just have not been able to decide - there are pluses both ways. My business peaks in the spring, so that's one concern. So analytically Fall is better, but Spring would be prettier. As you can see - I'm still debating (with myself). Cheers!
Dave

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I hope I don't have to do the cable ascent with the gloves - like Half Dome. BTW, I have an Ansel Adams photo from the top of 1/2 dome - his shadow spread across Yosemite Valley - it's an awesome view.
Best & buen Camino.
Dave
Sounds like an awesome Pic!!! Can you share it? I will never forget my hike to to top of Half Dome!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all,
Glad to be joining the Camino class of 2014. My journey will start in New Mexico~SJPP~SDC. Currently planning to hike in the Sept/Oct timeframe. Look forward to meeting & sharing a good amount of bread & dust with many of you.
Buen Camino, Jim
Buen Camino!!!

Hi Camino 2014 class
i am in early stages of our camino plans for my son and i to walk june-july 2014 with the aim to be in Santiago for his 18th birthday on 4th July

looking forward to planning and information tips

Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yay! Just booked my Easter hols and have decided on the Ingles. The Frances in July / August 2013 was the most amazing and inspiring experience ever and miss being on the Camino lots now. Great deal on Qatar Airways from Hong Kong to Asturias airport, so bus to La Coruna then Ferrol and five days on the Ingles, one day in Santiago and back to HK. Flights for only 800 Euros! How can these airlines make any money? Looking forward to a quieter experience on the Ingles than the Frances in summer. Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I plan on leaving Montana September 3rd 2013 and returning September 23rd-ish. I can't do the whole thing, but I am going to do what I can. :D

Buen Camino!
I hope I get to see you on our way... Depending where you are departing from and what date we may just catch up with each other...I'll buy the wine in lieu of the blue ribbon!

Im leaving from SJPdP and on the 1st of September....what about you...ooo isn't it exciting when you start making plans to actually hopefully meet someone who is as crazy about the Camino as you...lol
I can't do the whole thing so I am starting in Leon on September 3rd. I would love to do the whole thing tho. Maybe someday.

Hola from sunny Alice Springs, Australia!

Woohoo! I can't wait to be on my way May 2014! And here I was thinking I was bonkers for planning a year in advance!! :p
This is such a brilliant forum! I've only just signed up today and reading all your posts is so encouraging... I'm getting excited even though it's still another 7 and a bit months off... not that I'm counting!
I decided New Years 2013 that my thirties would be the decade I would travel and have an adventure... not that I'm not having an adventure already! ;)
So I booked a flight to Japan and it was just after I had arrived in Tokyo (March 28, 2013) that I got talking to lovely middle aged Australian couple from Victoria who mentioned the Camino and that I should do it... I said I would look it up and sure enough, there after... I saw the film 'The Way' a couple of days later in Nagoya and thereafter upon coming back to the Alice, a book about the Camino de Santiago - A Pilgrims Walk was in our local library on sale... 3 signs!!, one for each month since leaving for Japan and so it has been since May 2013 that I have begun my research into this wonderful experience I sleep and dream about on what seems to be a daily basis. I know, friends have asked me why plan so far ahead... but it feels like it's a calling for me to walk the Camino.
I feel this is and will be part of my journey of self discovery and I will be celebrating my 33rd birthday along the Way, God willing! :)
I hope to arrive in SJPDP mid May 2014 and then walk the Camino Frances all the way to Finisterre, I'm looking at probably doing this in 35 days but I'm all about enjoying the Walk and not racing to get to the end of the world!
Looking forward to meeting all you beautiful people and if I don't, happy and safe travels and God bless!

Buen Camino!
Marie xx

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Woohoo! I can't wait to be on my way May 2014! And here I was thinking I was bonkers for planning a year in advance!! :p
This is such a brilliant forum! I've only just signed up today and reading all your posts is so encouraging... I'm getting excited even though it's still another 7 and a bit months off... not that I'm counting!
I decided New Years 2013 that my thirties would be the decade I would travel and have an adventure... not that I'm not having an adventure already! ;)
So I booked a flight to Japan and it was just after I had arrived in Tokyo (March 28, 2013) that I got talking to lovely middle aged Australian couple from Victoria who mentioned the Camino and that I should do it... I said I would look it up and sure enough, there after... I saw the film 'The Way' a couple of days later in Nagoya and thereafter upon coming back to the Alice, a book about the Camino de Santiago - A Pilgrims Walk was in our local library on sale... 3 signs!!, one for each month since leaving for Japan and so it has been since May 2013 that I have begun my research into this wonderful experience I sleep and dream about on what seems to be a daily basis. I know, friends have asked me why plan so far ahead... but it feels like it's a calling for me to walk the Camino.
I feel this is and will be part of my journey of self discovery and I will be celebrating my 33rd birthday along the Way, God willing! :)
I hope to arrive in SJPDP mid May 2014 and then walk the Camino Frances all the way to Finisterre, I'm looking at probably doing this in 35 days but I'm all about enjoying the Walk and not racing to get to the end of the world!
Looking forward to meeting all you beautiful people and if I don't, happy and safe travels and God bless!

Buen Camino!
Marie xx
Buen self discovery! May it last a lifetime...

Buen Camino!
Marie xx
Hi Marie,

Hopefully our paths will cross.....I have a similar time frame next year!!! The planning and research is such fun! You will love this forum....lots of great advice!

Buen Camino!!!

Hi Marie,
Welcome to the forum and the Class of 2014. Enjoy your planning and preparation. Looking forward to meeting you too, we have similar dates so our paths may cross.
Buen Camino.
Hola John,
Thank you for the welcome and yes I hope to cross paths, you won't miss me... I'll be the one with the afro :p
Cheers,
Marie

Hi Marie,

Hopefully our paths will cross.....I have a similar time frame next year!!! The planning and research is such fun! You will love this forum....lots of great advice!

Buen Camino!!!
Hola Rosemary,
That's fantastic - I hope our paths will cross next year, you won't miss me as I'll be the one with the afro :p
Cheers,
Marie
p.s. note to self, I must start ending messages with Buen Camino! :)

€60,-
you are awesome...and i love the hair!
Muchas gracias Pattii :) I have come quite a way (I think anyway) to fully accept myself as I am and love myself regardless of my flaws yet accepting that there is always room to better myself and learn from various life experiences.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Muchas gracias Pattii :) I have come quite a way (I think anyway) to fully accept myself as I am and love myself regardless of my flaws yet accepting that there is always room to better myself and learn from various life experiences.
I read the tarot. I am Psychic and its a tool. One of the cards is called Temperance. Lots of people think that being balanced is like tightrope walking...staying in the middle on the line...trying to keep your balance and tipping slightly this way and that to make it across. That is not what real balance is. Balance should be something that does not limit us to one line. Staying very still...even to the point of stopping can be dangerous. A pond that is still usually ends up stagnant...its the fresh flow of water that keeps the water balanced. I refer to the Temperance Card which is right between the Death Card and the Devil Card to be one of those cards that can make or break us. It is the one that teaches us to be a pendulum. Like a big grandfather clock we are to swing that pendulum...sometimes to the left...far left sometimes in the centre sometimes to the far right...that momentum...the impetus that we gain from staying in movement is what keeps us moving through the things we leave behind with the Death card and start something new and improved in the Temperance card moving into the hot fiery energy of the Devil that pushes us even further forward towards huge life changes. This is where I feel you are now...didn't mean to read you...lol...that was not my intention...but thats what it looks like to me. Huge life changes in store and this impetus is just what you need to keep the momentum flowing...

Buen Camino Ms. Marie!

The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:
Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2014?
Buen Camino
Arn

I have been searching the forum for a "Class of 2014" page couldn't find one so I took charge :lol: Ivar , if somehow I missed the 2014 page please feel free to delete this.. but first let me know where it's located. With that said ...

Hi , I am Joe from Springdale Arkansas. Laurie and I are in training for our trek from SJPdP to SdC ,scheduled to leave Sept 2014 for our 35th Wedding Anniversary ( was May but seems Oct has less rain?) . Counting the many days until that time. Walking much up hill & down holler to get our bones tuned up and leg muscles primed.

I want to thank you Ivar for this forum , been lurking here for a few weeks now with just a few postings to test the waters. a Tremendous wealth of information .
Just found this forum and I am unfamiliar with forum protocol. If I am doing this wrong, forgive me! I am training now and plan to walk the Portuguese Way solo in April 2014. Hope to find information, tips, and encouragement. Anyone else planning an April walk?

Hi fellow Pilgrims and walkers through this journey called life. Long time lurker. Very long time in fact as I've really enjoyed the diverse range of material on this excellent forum. A real diversity of views, opinions (aplenty!!) and experience. I am scheduled to walk my first Camino (Frances) on 10 April 2014 starting in SJPdP. Been in the planning really since December 2012 but been thinking about the Camino and what it represents for a year before that. As the dates comes closer, it is a real surprise for me to feel a real sense of anticipation, expectation and excitement.

I am walking The Way for a number of reasons: personal and spiritual. May of course change once I reach my destination - where ever that may be as so many of you have noted, the journey doesn't finish in Santiago.

Also looking to inspire my daughters that no dream is too distant - so far both my daughters have said they would like to accompany me on a Camino walk when they are older (9 and 11 for the moment).

So here I am announcing my intention! Looking forward to seeing some of you next April. I will be starting with a friend who just decided to join me after I explained what the Camino was and what I would experience along the way. Being joined at a later stage my another friend. So lots to look forward so. Buen Camino!

Conrad S

Hi fellow Pilgrims and walkers through this journey called life. Long time lurker. Very long time in fact as I've really enjoyed the diverse range of material on this excellent forum. A real diversity of views, opinions (aplenty!!) and experience. I am scheduled to walk my first Camino (Frances) on 10 April 2014 starting in SJPdP. Been in the planning really since December 2012 but been thinking about the Camino and what it represents for a year before that. As the dates comes closer, it is a real surprise for me to feel a real sense of anticipation, expectation and excitement.

I am walking The Way for a number of reasons: personal and spiritual. May of course change once I reach my destination - where ever that may be as so many of you have noted, the journey doesn't finish in Santiago.

Also looking to inspire my daughters that no dream is too distant - so far both my daughters have said they would like to accompany me on a Camino walk when they are older (9 and 11 for the moment).

So here I am announcing my intention! Looking forward to seeing some of you next April. I will be starting with a friend who just decided to join me after I explained what the Camino was and what I would experience along the way. Being joined at a later stage my another friend. So lots to look forward so. Buen Camino!

Conrad S
Fabulous, Conrad!!! I will begin in April as well, but from Portugal. Buen Camino!

I read the tarot. I am Psychic and its a tool. One of the cards is called Temperance. Lots of people think that being balanced is like tightrope walking...staying in the middle on the line...trying to keep your balance and tipping slightly this way and that to make it across. That is not what real balance is. Balance should be something that does not limit us to one line. Staying very still...even to the point of stopping can be dangerous. A pond that is still usually ends up stagnant...its the fresh flow of water that keeps the water balanced. I refer to the Temperance Card which is right between the Death Card and the Devil Card to be one of those cards that can make or break us. It is the one that teaches us to be a pendulum. Like a big grandfather clock we are to swing that pendulum...sometimes to the left...far left sometimes in the centre sometimes to the far right...that momentum...the impetus that we gain from staying in movement is what keeps us moving through the things we leave behind with the Death card and start something new and improved in the Temperance card moving into the hot fiery energy of the Devil that pushes us even further forward towards huge life changes. This is where I feel you are now...didn't mean to read you...lol...that was not my intention...but thats what it looks like to me. Huge life changes in store and this impetus is just what you need to keep the momentum flowing...

Buen Camino Ms. Marie!
Wow! I've never been read before... all good regarding the reading. From what I've recently learned (thanks to you), the card of Temperance is a good thing? Yes? It seems to line up with what I'm discovering about myself and life and I hope these life changes will all be positives but if not, I take it all and go forth :) Wow! I wish I was on the Camino already but I think May 2014 is the time I'm supposed to be there so I've just got to be a little more patient and keep training! Woohoo! :D

Buen Camino Pattii :)

Lol I don't know what happens sometimes. I don't usually do that. But it just came very brightly to me. I have learned when that happens to just go with it. lol I think I need to make room for a deck when I do the Camino!

Hi Marie

May 2014 is my first Camino too. Perhaps we'll share some footsteps.

Buen camino

My husband and I are hoping to leave some time in May of 2014 for our Camino. We plan to do the Frances from SJPP to Finisterre. I have already started to walk to condition myself somewhat but I will be 56 when we finally are able to go and I have an increasingly bum hip so who knows.

I bought poles to help with my training and I am currently on the search for appropriate shoes/boots. I bought a pair of keen hiking boots but didn't know about the +1 size up when I bought them so, while they fit, they do tend to become problematic after extended mileage ... anything after 6+ km I think my feet do indeed start to swell and my toes do contact the end of the boot ... lesson learned. I subsequently bought some nice new balance walking show 1/2 size larger than I normally get and while they are nice I am thinking they will be more useful for shorter neighbourhood walks or everyday. I am now waiting on my local New Balance store to get my size +1 more for insurance, in stock for the new Balance hiking shoe/boot. It 's little bit lower than a mid height Boot so sort of a cross between a mid height boot and a shoe and has goretex for waterproofing. Unfortunately I have rather large feet and usually get a size 10 ladies ... but I struggle to find good fitting footwear and even 10's can often be too small ... the New Balance hiking boot I am waiting for will be a size 11. I am hopeful that one will do the trick cause this is getting rather expensive!
Hi there
I too had the swelling feet problem even with the right sized boot. This was in the context of tramping for 6 consecutive long days in the NZ mountains with a hefty pack (even when we'd eaten the food). My doctor's advice was that immediately upon arriving at the hut at the day's end to lie down, elevate legs and gently massage the fluid back downwards from the ankles. Easier to have someone else do the massage, but possible to do oneself. And I had to strenuously resist making cups of tea or a meal before the massage. Effective though. Another med student tramper used to rest lying down with his feet on his pack rather than sitting up. I guess it would nip the swelling in the bud even if it looks peculiar in an inhabited landscape! I found Leki poles seriously took the pressure off joints and also made for better posture if the length was right. They also give your arms quite a work out. On the camino I will be very careful to not carry too much and not to overdo the length of each day. It will make for a more joyful journey.
Mary

Hi there

I'm from New Zealand and planning to arrive in Santiago on 29 September 2014 ready to do my first Camino. I wanted to start from a coastal port so I'll take a bus to Villaviciosa then a walk via Valdedios to Oveido to start the usual Camino Primitivo and then go to Fisterra and Muxia and leave again from Santiago on 25 October 2014.
The idea of the camino has been percolating for maybe 15 years since I saw the scallop shells on a family coat of arms and wondered where an Irish soldier would have done a religious pilgrimage in mediaeval times, decided Santiago was the most likely contender and then been surprised how popular a camino has become in the last 20 years. So my route is a nod to the route one of my forebears went on pilgrimage and the escape route for others out of Spain. And for me the journey is as much internal as external.

Mary

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Marie

May 2014 is my first Camino too. Perhaps we'll share some footsteps.

Buen camino
Hola pererin,

Looking forward to sharing some footsteps with you! :) Isn't this forum great! Already I feel a bond with quite a few of you :)
Buen Camino!

Lol I don't know what happens sometimes. I don't usually do that. But it just came very brightly to me. I have learned when that happens to just go with it. lol I think I need to make room for a deck when I do the Camino!
Thank you Pattii, if that came to you very brightly then I feel quite honoured :)
Pity I won't get to meet you on the Camino but I reckon I'll be sure to leave you a note somewhere along the Camino just to say Hola :)

Just found this forum and I am unfamiliar with forum protocol. If I am doing this wrong, forgive me! I am training now and plan to walk the Portuguese Way solo in April 2014. Hope to find information, tips, and encouragement. Anyone else planning an April walk?
You are doing fine with the protocol!! This thread is an excellent place to start. Ask questions when you need specific information. Welcome, and buen camino.

€60,-

Conrad S
Buen Camino Conrad!!!!

Buen Camino Ronnie!!!

Hi there

I'm from New Zealand and planning to arrive in Santiago on 29 September 2014 ready to do my first Camino. I wanted to start from a coastal port so I'll take a bus to Villaviciosa then a walk via Valdedios to Oveido to start the usual Camino Primitivo and then go to Fisterra and Muxia and leave again from Santiago on 25 October 2014.
The idea of the camino has been percolating for maybe 15 years since I saw the scallop shells on a family coat of arms and wondered where an Irish soldier would have done a religious pilgrimage in mediaeval times, decided Santiago was the most likely contender and then been surprised how popular a camino has become in the last 20 years. So my route is a nod to the route one of my forebears went on pilgrimage and the escape route for others out of Spain. And for me the journey is as much internal as external.

Mary
Buen Camino Mary!!!

Buen Camino!
Marie xx
Buen Camino!!!

Hi there

Mary
Welcome! Sounds like an interesting "Way". I bet your forbearers will be smiling.

Hola pererin,

Looking forward to sharing some footsteps with you! :) Isn't this forum great! Already I feel a bond with quite a few of you :)
Buen Camino!

It is a fantastic forum. All the people here are wonderful and helpful. Look for the ones who have been around a few times...they have tonnes of info. I am always browsing the forum for excellent information and everyone is always so willing to help with insight or information...its family here. We even agree to disagree sometimes! But it is a forum filled with love...

Big shout out to everyone from me...Thank you all!

Buen Camino

Ronnie s,
As falcon says, welcome! I'm guessing you'll find all you need just by browsing this forum then if you can't find what you're looking for by asking questions. There are so many helpful people willing to share it's pretty mind-blowing at times.

If you haven't used it already try the 'Search Forums' link top left of this page and the specific link to each Camino route on the Homepage. This site is a wonderful resource.

Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Another small step, my Pilgrims Forum Member's badge arrived, so thank you Ivar, that was prompt service. Change to my start date now to arrive in SJPdP on Sunday the 24th of August.

Thank you

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.