• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2015

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I will be walking from Pamplona to . . . . ? in mid-July, 2015. Should I invest in a raincover for my backpack? Can I easily find a rain poncho to purchase along the way if needed or should I plan on packing that along as well? Just trying to keep the weight down.

TIA for any and all suggestions!
Heidi

Hi Paul, it wasn't my intention to scared you off the wonderful adventure you going to undertake with your family. To reed in be-twin the line the positive determination is fantastic. (Although is not my business) I just felt right not to point out few fact, like the time of the year and the young children involved.
In my two precedent FC camino from SJPD I saw few bad things happening that's all, but of course you mention bus and taxi, I didn't think of that.
The good thing I can tell you is that the 2012 FC at SJPD on the 20th of May I met a French family coming back from Fisterre and the component of the family was : father, mother, three small children and three donkey, apparently the year before they sold all they possession and (from France)they travel to Fisterre lived in the town for 6 month and they where on the way back to start all over again.
I my self I challenge life in a positive way and next year for me is going to be a very hard one, as I write my next pilgrimage starts in Geneva around 1400 miles 2 and half months (if I get there).So
To you and your family
BUEN CAMINO !!!!!
Thanks Ernie! I appreciate the spirit of your comment was just pointing out that it isn't the easiest of times to go. For work and the study of my children it is the best time, so whilst I wouldn't ideally choose that time, I'm just thankful that we can go and grateful for any opportunity we have. We will just make the most of the opportunity and focus on the positives. Thanks for sharing about the French family, I'm always encouraged to hear of other families that make it, although I'm not sure about the donkeys! Buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Should I invest in a raincover for my backpack? Can I easily find a rain poncho to purchase along the way if needed
If you buy an Altus poncho, it serves as a pack cover and a poncho. Drape the poncho over your pack when rain threatens, and slip into it if rain starts. You can find one in Pamplona at CaminoTechnica. Waiting to buy a poncho until you think you need it may entail getting wet! You don't really think you need it until you are soaked. During July it might be quite dry, but that is not certain, particularly in Galicia, where it rains all year. Buen camino!

If you buy an Altus poncho, it serves as a pack cover and a poncho. Drape the poncho over your pack when rain threatens, and slip into it if rain starts. You can find one in Pamplona at CaminoTechnica. Waiting to buy a poncho until you think you need it may entail getting wet! You don't really think you need it until you are soaked. During July it might be quite dry, but that is not certain, particularly in Galicia, where it rains all year. Buen camino!
Hello - I'm living in Boise ID and have been planning my first Camino for two years. I decided to wait until both hips were resurfaced so I could walk with no pain. I am leaving mid-September for SJPP to Finisterre. I want to celebrate my 60th birthday on the Camino. This forum has been tremendously helpful. I am grateful.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Thank you for the suggestion -- it sounds wise! I haven't get gotten my copy of Brierley's guide to the Camino (Santa, are you listening??!!) . . . but do you know if directions to CaminoTechnica will be in there? If not, can you supply an address for the place?

With much appreciation,
Heidi

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Leaving from Brisbane To Paris 19 May, train to Bayonne and walking Camino Norte. On arrival Santiago will then bus to Ferrol and walk Camino Ingles and then carry on to Finisterre and Muxia. This will be my second camino and can't wait for May.
Look forward to meeting up with other pilgrims.

Greetings! I plan to walk from Zurich, Switzerland to Santiago in 2015. I want to do this via Le-Puy and the Camino del Norte. The latter will be a first for me. The loop from and to Santiago via Fisterra and Muxia will be new for me too. All going well I will return home via the Camino Frances, the Somport Pass and Le-Puy. Walking back too is the medieval way of doing the pilgrimage. As I want to take it easy this time, I intend to start early in March. This should allow me to get back to Switzerland before the two mountain passes right at the end will become unpassable due to snow. My plan is a long shot, but I do want to try.

P.S. Consider this an entry for 2016. I have to postpone my Camino due to an operation I have to undergo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Walter1407---That sounds amazing!
My husband and I are thinking Geneva to STPP in Aug/Sept.
This past Aug/Sept we walked SJPP to Leon, then bused to Oviedo and walked the Primitivo to SDC and the walked on to Muxia.

Wow , Paul best of luck to all of you. I would love to hear about how things turn out for your family.

Can't commit to exact dates yet, as will have to wait till January to confirm holiday dates, but we should be walking Leon to Santiago sometime during 2015 - perhaps late spring or early autum, depending.

Hopefully it all works out - our plan to walk the route over 3 years has worked OK so far, and all being well so will stage 3.

Then from 2016 it's a new Camino to experince - from Le Puy to SJPdP, or Camino del Plata or the Camino Frances again. Who knows! :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Walter1407---That sounds amazing!
My husband and I are thinking Geneva to STPP in Aug/Sept.
This past Aug/Sept we walked SJPP to Leon, then bused to Oviedo and walked the Primitivo to SDC and the walked on to Muxia.

Joan - "Long shots" are amazing at snooker too - when they are successful. :) What I mentioned is what I would love to do. As I walked 2300km in one go to Santiago before, I have a fair idea what I will be faced with. However, I will be 13 years older in 2015, so it will be a journey into the unknown, just as it was the first time. But that's what I love about my long-distance pilgramages.
If things go well, I should join the Via Podiensis in about mid-September in Larreule, just South of Arzacq-Arraziguet. If you see a tired old guy with a huge black Australian hat coming the wrong way, that'll probably be me.
I wish you a great time crossing France! There is much to see - and to drink. Buen Camino!

Hi all,
Flights booked and in the countdown. We will be doing the Francés starting from SJPP between the 10-13 Feb and have until mid April. We will be the ambitious group with five children from 2-15 years. Can't wait now. Biggest immediate challenge is balancing weight now, with one baby carrier and one large pack as we have to carry extra equipment for the cold between myself and my wife. I have to assume we'll spend a bit of time carrying my little one, who is about 16kg. Can't split that weight up! We can go slow, but will be limited in stops I expect. We're open to the experience guiding us in unpredictable ways. Very exciting times ahead!

Just wondering: Have you checked how much snow you'll have to expect when crossing the Pyrenees? You'll cross into Spain at an altitude of 1400 metres. I remember skiing in the Pyrenees in June. If you want to follow the regular Camino tracks, will they be visible and passable? I wonder. Should there be snow (or melting snow) on your descent to Roncesvalles, expect a difficult and slippery track - with a baby on the back a challenge. Depending on the weather conditions (e.g. fog - things can change rather quickly there) you could run into serious trouble, especially as you will be with kids. Why don't you start in Roncesvalles instead?

Hello, I am walking the Camino Frances in April 2015. I will depart from St Jean and hope to climb via the Napolean route right through to Finisterre. This is the plan anyway. I have no idea what I am doing, and so will be totally out of my comfort zone. Never walked, hiked, trekked, or stayed in group accommodations before, so am getting right out of my comfort zone. Any good advice for a new walker is welcome. Buen Camino.
Obviously the physical aspect of walking the Camino needs to be taken into account, but to have a really good experience you'll also need to be willing to open yourself up to whatever comes your way. ( if you wanted to stay in your comfort zone you would have stayed home, right?) Try to approach each day and each person without any judgements or preconceived ideas. Say yes more often than no. Be willing to laugh at yourself. Maybe I'll see you there. I'm leaving St. Jean on May 1st.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just wondering: Have you checked how much snow you'll have to expect when crossing the Pyrenees? According to information on the internet, the average snow line in February is at altitude 1400 metres, i.e. at the altitude at which you'll cross into Spain. But that's an average. I remember skiing in the Pyrenees in June. Will the Camino tracks you want to follow be visible and passable? I wonder. Should there be snow (or melting snow) on your descent to Roncesvalles, expect a difficult and slippery track - with a baby on the back a challenge. Depending on the weather conditions (e.g. fog - things can change rather quickly there) you could run into serious trouble, especially as you will be with kids. Why don't you start in Roncesvalles instead?
For us starting in SJPP is symbolically important. We assume that the only option will be via Valcarlos at that time, and from what I've read it sounds very doable. We expect to break the leg up. If it is dangerous, we won't be silly, and will call on other transport if needed. We obviously hope to not have to, but if due to safety we have to head to Roncevalles to start, we will. We will go to SJPP as our intended starting point though. Thanks for your concerns!

Hello everybody, my name is Jorge. I am traveling to Spain from Miami on May 13 , 2015. I arrive May 14 to Barcelona. My plan is to spend a couple of days in Barcelona to go around the city specially to visit the Sagrada Familia church. My idea is to take the train from Barcelona to Pamplona and then a bus to saint Jean pied de port. I think I will be starting my journey by May 17 or 18 if everything goes as planned. I already have my air ticket to Spain so I'm counting the month, days and hours to start this fantastic experience. I'm originally from Habana, Cuba, but I lived my entire life in Valencia Venezuela. Now I'm living in Miami, which Will be the starting line of my trip to Spain. If any of you have an advise that I can use to get to saint Jean or about any other stuff that can make the difference in a better way I'm open to new ideas. Have a good one peregrinos y buen camino a todos.

We started planning our Camino over 12 months ago. It all seemed so far way. Now it's only 4 months away! And I still haven't lost enough weight or got nearly fit enough. Oh well..... :oops: Just call me Joost.... ;)

But we did have an amazing 'training hike' last week in Tasmania in Cradle Mountain National park. The 'Amazing' bit, was not only the scenery, but the fact that:

A. My 'better half' walked all day in the rain....and enjoyed it ... having vowed not to walk in wet weather! (It's a cultural, bad hair day, catch cold type of thing....)
B. Amazing outcome at A above, was all due to our rain pants and jackets doing a fantastic job of keeping us bone dry!

We now feel a lot more prepared....

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Obviously the physical aspect of walking the Camino needs to be taken into account, but to have a really good experience you'll also need to be willing to open yourself up to whatever comes your way. ( if you wanted to stay in your comfort zone you would have stayed home, right?) Try to approach each day and each person without any judgements or preconceived ideas. Say yes more often than no. Be willing to laugh at yourself. Maybe I'll see you there. I'm leaving St. Jean on May 1st.

I think if I can rediscover resilience, give up caring what others think of me and empty my mind of thoughts, then it's a good outcome. Will this be too much to expect? I hope not. It will be great to be able to laugh at myself again. It's been a long time since I was able to do that. Life is mental for me at the moment, and I mean that quite literally. I wish I could be thought - less, so I can be present in the here and now. Not dwelling in the past in "what should have been", or planning into the future of "what should be". And so yes, I do need to be in a completely unknown environment in order to do this.

I happily report for the class of 2015!! I just heard that a dream comes true: my employer lets me walk my last 1700 km to Santiago!!
I hope to be on the road the end of April 2015. I will probably arrive in Le Puy en Velay around the 1st of May, and walk from there to SJPP and SdC. Happy!!!

My wife (wonder woman) and I are getting ready for el Camino Portugues in May/June starting in Lisbon.
I learned my lesson, last time I passed out before Larrasoaña and spent 3 days in Pamplona on doctors orders because of exhaustion. This time we will spend 2 or 3 days in Lisbon recovering from the long trip and jet lag before we start walking.
I should mention that I am 71 years old and diabetic but we did arrive to Santiago 41 days later.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If any of you have an advise that I can use to get to saint Jean
I took an ALSA bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles, where I started my pilgrimage, two of my fellow bus passengers ( they met in the bus) then called a taxi that took them from Roncesvalles to St. Jean. I also read somewhere that ALSA is planning to extend the Pamplona-Roncesvalles run to St. Jean but I just checked their website and that leg is not available yet.

Jorge, buena suerte y buen camino!

I WAS planning on my second attempt this year (2014), but decided on September 2015, starting from Vezelay.

Rachael... you'll be passing a few km's from my front door!

Well... I never thought for one minute I would be joining the class of 2015... but yeah I am! 6 months after finishing my first Camino I will be starting over again but this time from St Jean. I have limited time so I wont be going to Santiago but I hope to get as close to half way as I can! I think I'll be leaving either the 14th or 15th April and i'm planning to spend the night at Orrison.

:D

I think if I can rediscover resilience, give up caring what others think of me and empty my mind of thoughts, then it's a good outcome. Will this be too much to expect? I hope not. It will be great to be able to laugh at myself again. It's been a long time since I was able to do that. Life is mental for me at the moment, and I mean that quite literally. I wish I could be thought - less, so I can be present in the here and now. Not dwelling in the past in "what should have been", or planning into the future of "what should be". And so yes, I do need to be in a completely unknown environment in order to do this.
F.Y.A., what you say you'll be looking for is exactly what I found on my first Camino and why I feel the need to go back. I remember feeling like I was tossing things overboard (self doubt/anxiety about the future/- all the things in our minds that tend to hold us back) as I walked and talked. I came home with a level of calmness and serenity that I don't think I'd ever had before.
As for being in the here and now- you'll almost have no choice in the matter. You'll run things through your head several times over only to discover you still have hours to walk and that will bring you right back to the here and now.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
F.Y.A., what you say you'll be looking for is exactly what I found on my first Camino and why I feel the need to go back. I remember feeling like I was tossing things overboard (self doubt/anxiety about the future/- all the things in our minds that tend to hold us back) as I walked and talked. I came home with a level of calmness and serenity that I don't think I'd ever had before.
As for being in the here and now- you'll almost have no choice in the matter. You'll run things through your head several times over only to discover you still have hours to walk and that will bring you right back to the here and now.

I am very good at running things through my head over and over again. i hope I will get bored of the things I say to myself by the time I get to SdC. May I ask, why you choose to walk the Camino Frances again, given that there are other Camino routes?

My wife (wonder woman) and I are getting ready for el Camino Portugues in May/June starting in Lisbon.
I learned my lesson, last time I passed out before Larrasoaña and spent 3 days in Pamplona on doctors orders because of exhaustion. This time we will spend 2 or 3 days in Lisbon recovering from the long trip and jet lag before we start walking.
I should mention that I am 71 years old and diabetic but we did arrive to Santiago 41 days later.
Good decission to walk the Caminho Portuges. Have a look on our Portugese forum here and find your way. You will love it. Totaly different to the camino Frances. Maybe see you around. Starting May 2015 for the second time our caminho Portuges.
Bom caminho

I am headed out to Oloron-Sainte-Marie to walk the GR 653 to the Camino Aragones in Somport onto Logrono as soon as the snow melts in the Pyrenees. My 2014 Camino buddies Patty and Donnavee (aka Thelma and Louise) are coming to Biarritz in September and we are going to start walking from Burgos. From there they plan to walk to Santiago and I plan to walk as far as Astorga and then take the train to Ferrol and complete my Camino to Santiago on the Camino Ingles. Hopefully somewhere along the Way I will run into St. Mike and JennyH who are biking from Pamplona to Santiago in September.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am very good at running things through my head over and over again. i hope I will get bored of the things I say to myself by the time I get to SdC. May I ask, why you choose to walk the Camino Frances again, given that there are other Camino routes?
Um, cause I'm a creature of habit? :) Actually it's because I'm going with a sister and brother (first timers) and I think this would be the most enjoyable route for them.

Hi :) . Going to walk the Camino Frances. starting in SJPP. planing to start my walk on the 10-11 of May. Looking forward to meet you all on the way to Compostela de santiago.

Talk about creature of habit ... I'm walking from Astorga again in March, this time with my partner (Edit: as of January 5th he is my husband!). We were planning on doing it in September, but I walked alone in the end because he couldn't get the time off. So that will be my third time on that stretch - I won't bother with a guide book this time ;) It's the first time we are walking this far as a couple and I know it will be different, but hopefully just as good - or better!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:

The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.

Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2015?
Buen Camino
Arn

Just signed up for this forum yesterday and will be buying my tickets to Madrid (via Chicago) this week for a camino that will start in Leon and end in Santiago (can only get so much time off work and finances and all). Hiking with my hiking partner Veronica. Looks like we will be starting from Leon on May 17 and ending May 28-29.

Stephan and Veronica
Chicago, IL, USA

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Albertinho, are you starting from Lisboa? Do you know the date yet?
No we donot start in Lisbon next year.we started in Lisbon last year.

In May 2015 we will start in Viana do Castela north of Porto . We follow the coast to Vigo and pick up the interior caminho at Redondela. From there we walk to Pontevedra and from there we head west to Vilanova de Arousa. From there is a Zodiac boat which sails us to Padrón. This detour is called Variante Spiritual dos Salnés.From Padrón we walk to Santiago.
My wife and I hope to fly to Porto beginning of May 2015

Hello Classmates of 2015. The information here is so wonderful and exciting! I have only 2 short weeks in Spain but intend to make every second amazing.

I definitely want to walk from Santiago to Fisterra and Muxia (4-5 days)- the coast calls, but I am torn between the Via La Plata, Portuges, Camino Frances, and now the Primitivo. I understand that whichever of these routes I choose I will only be able to walk the last 120KMs or so due to time constraints. ANyway- hope to see some of you along the way. I will be there in late May -early June. Buen Camino!

Hello Classmates of 2015. The information here is so wonderful and exciting! I have only 2 short weeks in Spain but intend to make every second amazing.

I definitely want to walk from Santiago to Fisterra and Muxia (4-5 days)- the coast calls, but I am torn between the Via La Plata, Portuges, Camino Frances, and now the Primitivo. I understand that whichever of these routes I choose I will only be able to walk the last 120KMs or so due to time constraints. ANyway- hope to see some of you along the way. I will be there in late May -early June. Buen Camino!
Hee haw ! Branden. Welcome on this great forum.

I am a Caminho Portuges enthousiastic so I can advise you about the great walk from Ponte de Lima in Portugal to Santiago which is about your 120 kms.
I also walked the Camino Ingles from Ferrol in the north west of Spain also about 120 kms and a great walk too.
But I prefer the kindness of the Portugese people ,the food, the wine .

My third caminho next year May will be another one from Portugal.
Hope to see you around somewhere on the Portugese caminho

Bom caminho, boas festas e prospero ano novo 2015.

A big hee haw from the Netherlands. (Do you live in Nashville ? My favorite town in the USA :))

Albertinho- No I live in the other Music capital- Memphis! Home of the true Blues!!!! But Nashville rocks too!
Portugues Camino calls me ...I need lots of beauty adn fresh air- not lots of people although people are wonderful :) thank you for the tips!

My pack, sleep sack, and sleeping bag arrived today! I got both excited and a bit nervous at the same time. Also, my cat is wondering how she is going to get into the bag and go with me. Looking forward to April 25th!!

tumblr_ngr0vxEBiI1re0topo1_500.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My pack, sleep sack, and sleeping bag arrived today! I got both excited and a bit nervous at the same time. Also, my cat is wondering how she is going to get into the bag and go with me. Looking forward to April 25th!!
Those feelings are what make planning for Camino so fun! Just wait until you have the pack loaded and on your back and the thought "am I crazy??" runs through your mind.

I censorsed my self earlier . I Got excited and then said "oh sh#! ..this is real now!" And proceeded to feel nervous.

But you're right, putting the pack on for first time gave me a reality check - 500 miles?! With these shoes and that pack only?! What have I gotten myself into?

An hour later, after messing with the parts and wearing it around a bit, I am back to feeling excitement. :)

I censorsed my self earlier . I Got excited and then said "oh sh#! ..this is real now!" And proceeded to feel nervous.

But you're right, putting the pack on for first time gave me a reality check - 500 miles?! With these shoes and that pack only?! What have I gotten myself into?

An hour later, after messing with the parts and wearing it around a bit, I am back to feeling excitement. :)

Many time in the middle of the caminos, in all sort of bad situation, I asked myself what was I doing here, but I'm always back, never give up and like someone told me : one step at the time :.

It is not a race, go your own speed and you will be o.k.

Last edited:
Many time in the middle of the casinos, in all sort of bad situation, I asked myself what was I doing here, .
Every time I find myself in the middle of a casino I say the same thing. And usually its after I lose my money. Sorry couldnt help myself with your typo. LOL.
@nomadpeah Its a great feeling to know that its all coming together. Ill be about 2 weeks behind you. Cant come quick enough for me.
buen casino LOL

Hello!

My name is Ariel and I plan to walk the Camino del Norte in April of 2015. See you on the trail! Any other solo walkers heading out around the same time?

Buen Camino!
Ariel

We're are planning to walk the Norte, but not leaving Irun until 8 May

My pack, sleeping bag , rain jacket came in last week while I was visiting grandchildren in Montana. Today I bought my air tickets, I will arrive CDG on the 28th of April and get a train to SJPP. I hope to be on the trail by the 1st of May. Maybe we will run into each other on the journey. Buen Camino !

A selection of Camino Jewellery
:eek:

Hello Branden,

Welcome to the forum.

I was wondering if you had picked up from the information here that if you walk to Muxia first, the bus service back to SDC from Finisterre is more regular than that from Muxia? There's a thread about that bus timetable on the forum.

Oh! - by the way, please stop balancing on cliff edges you're making me nervous:eek:

Buen Camino

:eek:

Hello Branden,

Welcome to the forum.

I was wondering if you had picked up from the information here that if you walk to Muxia first, the bus service back to SDC from Finisterre is more regular than that from Muxia? There's a thread about that bus timetable on the forum.

Oh! - by the way, please stop balancing on cliff edges you're making me nervous:eek:

Buen Camino

John- thank you for this tip! Picking up all of these tips will make for a great Camino :)

And no worries on the cliff I was about 5 feet from the ledge so no risk of plunging forward ...

Albertinho- No I live in the other Music capital- Memphis! Home of the true Blues!!!! But Nashville rocks too!
Portugues Camino calls me ...I need lots of beauty adn fresh air- not lots of people although people are wonderful :) thank you for the tips!
Oh yeah Beale street blues. Blue suede shoes. Graceland. Sun Studio
Loved it to.
Had a chanche to look inside the Gibson guitar factory just round the corner of Beale street three years ago where my beautiful Gibson jazzguiter was born.
Great place too !
Enjoy the caminho Portuguese as much as we do

Bom caminho

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I think I will depart SJPP around the 28th and take it easy the first few days - I bet we will cross paths @SRM.

Happy planning to you as well.

I get to CDG on the 29th, then train to Bayonne. Train to SJPD on the 30th, first happy steps on the path May 1st. Interesting how the Camino can be soooooo far out there, then one day, BAM, we're stressing because it's nearly here.

I think I will depart SJPP around the 28th and take it easy the first few days - I bet we will cross paths @SRM.

Happy planning to you as well.
I arrive at CDG on the morning of the 28th and hope to be in SJPP that evening if I can figure out the trains. I don't know how the flight will leave me, I have not been bothered with jet lag much in the past as I can almost sleep standing. I want to take the Napoleon route leaving St Jean so I am leaving time to catch good weather. At this point I am not making reservations and want to see where the journey leads. I hope this isn't just one of those crazy things men do because we don't always use our whole brain. Lol. I feel like I have become a part of many journeys through the forum and hope I can match faces to stories as we progress on the road. I get more excited every day about the journey and have received so much help through the forum that whatever the need I feel the answer will come at the right time.

At this point I am not making reservations and want to see where the journey leads. I hope this isn't just one of those crazy things men do because we don't always use our whole brain..
I too am using the "Go with the flow" method. Im a real dot the "I`s" and cross the "T`s" kinda person when it comes to trips. This one Im just going to take every day as it was intended to land.

Thought it was time I joined this class! I'm planning to start my Camino from SJPdP mid-April 2015, after having postponed my earlier planned departure (Sept '14) at 10 days' notice, for medical reasons. I'll be walking with my 79-year-old mother. Back into training now following recovery from surgery, building up the length of my walks and rethinking equipment to take ("essential" being such a relative term!). This forum has been my constant companion, source of strength, advice and support for over a year now, and with flights re-booked and plans re-made, I'll be counting on you all to get me through the next 4 months until we go!

The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:

The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.

Buen Camino
Arn

My wife and I will be starting our Camino by leaving Atlanta on June 14, 2015, flying to Barcelona on to St. Jean and heading out June the 18th. If there is anyone interested in traveling with us from Barcelona to St. Jean, please let us know. We will be leaving Barcelona on June the 16th.

My wife and I are will be flying from Atlanta to Barcelona and arriving in Barcelona on June 15th, 2015. We plan on leaving Barcelona on June the 16th for SJPDP. We will start our Camino on the 17th or 18th based on how quickly we can get to St Jean. We plan to do the entire 500 miles, God willing.

My friend and I will be arriving in Paris on the 15th April and will begin from SJPP on the 17th. I just can't believe how close it is!

We hope to be able to start on the 17th from SJPDP also. But travel and arrival times might necessitate an 18th start date. Meanwhile, we are devouring all the Camino material we can get!! I am sure that we will cross paths. Darrell

I just decided yesterday that I want to do the Camino (after seeing the movie...) and only today started researching. Because I will have limited time, I am thinking I would do the Primitivo route, hopefully in about 12 days. This may be ambitious, but I've got time to train. I walk a lot already, it's just one foot in front of the other right? This route also appeals to me more than the others. I have no idea when exactly, but maybe Autumn 2015 or sometime 2016. I have pretty much all the gear I'll need already, my only concern will be food because I have coeliac disease, so will have to carry/prepare all my own food, I don't expect the albergues will have much in the way of gluten free options. I just need to save up money for airfare, albergues, and food. Initial planning stages but I think I will find my way via air to Asturias, then bus to Oviedo and then start walking! :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My wife Robin and I will be leaving for Bilbao on Jan 10th to begin walking the Camino Ignaciano (Azpeitia to Manreza) on Jan 14th. First time heading away from Santiago. Happy New Year to all.

John

I will be walking the Camino Portuguese Sept/Oct 2015...have done the CF so looking for a new adventure!

Flights booked. Ian and I will be arriving in Irun on the 7th or 8th May, to start walking El Norte and Primitivo. Hooray!
Hello Kanga: I am also returning to Spain on June 23 to walk the Norte from Irun. I am uncertain at this time whether I will take the Primativo route at Oviedo or continue on the Norte. Perhaps that is part of the 'magic of the journey' or the not knowing part and taking each day on the Camino as it comes. I am curious if you have walked the Norte before and are returning to walk the Norte/Primativo now. If the latter is true, what made you decide to go the Primativo route instead of walking the Norte? I am purchasing the new Northern Caminos guidebook when it is on sale in two weeks and plan on looking in detail at both. John

@jemitch65 no, we haven't walked the Norte or Primitivo before. We are thinking we'll walk the Primitivo because it just looks lovely. I also like variation and going inland half-way along the route provides a change from the coast. There is nothing fixed about our plans - the only thing we have done is book our flights to and from Madrid. So the Norte followed by the Primitivo is the plan but that could change. The final decision on the Primitivo will happen when we reach the fork in the road.

Will be walking the Camino Portugues de la Costa (Porto do SdC)starting May 23, 2015 with a small group; then will back track and start the Camino de Invierno on June 7, 2015. God (and my feet) willing, I'll do the Camino de Finisterre starting June 19, 2015.

Hang in there Nomad. The Heeby Geebees will be gone about the time you walk into Pamplona!! Hee hee...
Seriously though, use that excited energy as proof that you are consciously stepping out of your normal box and experiencing something that will be truly magnificent.

Ed

Buen Camino
Arn

I will be starting my second Camino September 3rd or 4th. I walked from SJPDP to Santiago in 2013. This time I am going to walk the Portuguese route from Lisbon, hopefully with a friend from NZ who became part of my Camino family during my first pilgrimage.

I will be walking from St Jean Port de Pied to Santiago in May/June/July, 2015. Have been contemplating this journey for several years. Have started collecting information, advice and equipment through the amazing generocity of the experienced pilgrims found here. I will be 65 this fall and will celebrate for the entire year following :D I have begun walking/hiking to prepare. I'm pretty sure it will be the highlight of my wonderful life!!

Buen Camino!

Hi Andrea

We have walked the Portuguese camino from Porto to Santiago in September, 2014.
Hubby & I are from Sydney, Australia & plan to walk to camino Frances from st jean pied de port starting on May, 20th.
We have been researching & training for approx 2 years.
Finishing this Camino will be our greatest achievement & we are both excited & full of anticipation.

Meryl

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Trying to add to calendar, only works for new threads, not replies

Still can't add to calendar. Anyone able to assist please. May 20th Chris & Meryl leaving stjpdp.

Hi all, I'm Angela from Manchester, UK, and am delighted to be a member of the Class of 2015. I will be starting my 2nd Camino Frances pilgrimage from SJPP on 8th March. It will be four years since I last did it and I can hardly wait. I'm going to be using the same shoes and backpack (I bought well last time!) but will be taking a poncho this time round to help cope with the inevitable rain in early March - I'm not as vain as I was 4 years ago when I had a top of the range waterproof that was far too fiddly to keep getting in and out of! I'm happy to say one of my very good friends that I made on my last Camino is going to be doing the Camino Norte totally coincidentally at the same time so we plan to meet in Santiago and walk to Finisterre together. Anyone else starting early March feel free to get in touch - if it's anything like last time we will be a small and select bunch (we all fit in one dorm in one albergue last time!)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi i might as well place a comment as my wife and i start SJPP to Santiago 1st March and are very excited and can not wait.

Buen Camino

Hey
Hi all, I'm Angela from Manchester, UK, and am delighted to be a member of the Class of 2015. I will be starting my 2nd Camino Frances pilgrimage from SJPP on 8th March. It will be four years since I last did it and I can hardly wait. I'm going to be using the same shoes and backpack (I bought well last time!) but will be taking a poncho this time round to help cope with the inevitable rain in early March - I'm not as vain as I was 4 years ago when I had a top of the range waterproof that was far too fiddly to keep getting in and out of! I'm happy to say one of my very good friends that I made on my last Camino is going to be doing the Camino Norte totally coincidentally at the same time so we plan to meet in Santiago and walk to Finisterre together. Anyone else starting early March feel free to get in touch - if it's anything like last time we will be a small and select bunch (we all fit in one dorm in one albergue last time!)
1st March SJPP we are heading off and nice to read your comments about best gear etc,

G

Buen Camino
Arn
plan on doing Camino Norte again did it in 2010.

Hello from the Jurassic Coast in East Devon, England. I'm putting my name down for the class of 2015 to give me time to get prepared, although I'd really love to do it sooner if possible.

My inspiration came, as for many others, from the film The Way, which I saw sometime last year. I've had fibromyalgia for many years, which I overcame and held at bay with exercise, but which later was compounded by Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. So when I saw the film I felt it wasn't something I could do, although I've always loved walking and wanted to do this. Unfortunately I put my back out severely before christmas, and have been hobbling around with a walking stick since and healing has been very slow. But for some reason I recently remembered the film and suddenly had the calling to go. I've been reading up as much as I could then found this fab site today.

I have absolutely no idea how I think I'm going to walk that far but I've got to do it. It's taken me over and is something I need to do. And the more I read, the more I realise how possible it will be once I get my walking ability back...and meanwhile it's given me the impetus to be able to. I don't even know much about the different routes yet, but I'd prefer to do a route that's less popular and during a less touristy or hot time of the year, so if anyone's got any suggestions I'd be very grateful.

I can't wait to be able to say Buen Camino for real on the way, but until then, Buen Camino to you all. :)
Hi Eileen..
I'm not far from your neck of the woods, Gloucestershire.. I'm planning to do the camino with a first of May 2015 start.. Flying to. Bordeaux on the 28th April, from Bristol, spend a night in Bordeaux and then train it up to SJPDP on the 29th, and two night there getting the final prep before the early morning start on the first.. It was the cheapest route for me. I'm heading out to southern Spain this month to begin a few months training in the mountains there..just recovering from a back injury myself, nothing serious but an inconvenience all the same. I'm hoping the route won't be too busy, hence the May start. Just stopped smoking today, and training begins in earnest..Hope you get well soon.. Buen prep..

Well after foot problems on VDLP in May 2013 I and friend are return to the Camino - Frances this time. As we both have walking problems we are in the bike brigade. Yes we will have a bell, and in most cases will use the roads to let the walkers walk in peace. Departing Pamplona around 3 or 4 Sept.:):cool:;):D:rolleyes:

Hello,
I am turning 50 this January 2015 and plan to walk the Camino for Sarria to Santiago August 2015. I am from Toronto and so far none of my friends want to join me. Looks like I may do a solo Camino and catch up with my friends in Barcelona I am not in shape but I plan to get is shape by then it is giving me an incentive to get fit. I am looking forward to the Camino and meeting pilgrims.

Buen Camino!
Julie

Hello,
I am turning 50 this January 2015 and plan to walk the Camino for Sarria to Santiago August 2015. I am from Toronto and so far none of my friends want to join me. Looks like I may do a solo Camino and catch up with my friends in Barcelona I am not in shape but I plan to get is shape by then it is giving me an incentive to get fit. I am looking forward to the Camino and meeting pilgrims.

Buen Camino!
Julie

Hi Julie

I walked the Camino 4 years ago and am going to do it for a 2nd tim this March. I would actually recommend doing it by yourself, based on my own experience. You will meet lots of people (on day one!) but also have time to yourself to fully immerse yourself in the experience and reflect/think/just be peaceful etc if that's what you want. Also I wasn't fit when I started my last Camino. I was 44 then and didn;t exercise regularly, but I just did a could of long walks with a pack to make sure I knew what I was letting myself in for (and start the process of getting fitter). If you start slow and gradually increase your pace/distances to suit you you should be fine.

Buen Camino!

PS Just a word of warning - the Sarria to Santiago stretch tends to be by far the busiest as many local people walk the last 100km to get their certificate. August is also the busiest month. If you're not keen on crowds and don't want to be rushing to get a bed every night you might want to consider doing the last stages of one of the other less popular Caminos - Portugal, Norte etc

€60,-
I arrive at CDG on the morning of the 28th and hope to be in SJPP that evening if I can figure out the trains. I don't know how the flight will leave me, I have not been bothered with jet lag much in the past as I can almost sleep standing. I want to take the Napoleon route leaving St Jean so I am leaving time to catch good weather. At this point I am not making reservations and want to see where the journey leads. I hope this isn't just one of those crazy things men do because we don't always use our whole brain. Lol. I feel like I have become a part of many journeys through the forum and hope I can match faces to stories as we progress on the road. I get more excited every day about the journey and have received so much help through the forum that whatever the need I feel the answer will come at the right time.
It's probably best to plan to take the train from CDG to either Bordeaux or Bayonne and stay the night there before heading off to St Jean PdP. You can check the train timetable on line for the train from Bayonne to St Jean as that is the section of line with the fewest number of trains per day. You have to allow at least a couple of hours for transferring from plane arrival to train (TGV) station at CDG and then some more, to allow for late plane arrival. It is quite a hike from plane arrivals to train departures even though it is all within the same building/complex. It is also cheaper to buy your train ticket before leaving home ie: outside Europe. This can be done online with you printing your own ticket. Also a good idea to book your albergue in St Jean a few weeks prior. Can highly recommend Beilari (formerly l'Esprit du Chemin) www.beilari.info, which is right opposite the Pilgrim Office. Their website also has some really useful information and great links. Buen Camino

Beilari. The only place I have stayed in St Jean (unless you count L'Esprit du Chemin as different). I have enjoyed it in both it's incarnations and thoroughly recommend it as a great communal start. You won't be starting out alone!

We are a couple from Canada in our 60's and going on our first camino. We have our tickets to Paris, our room in Paris and train tickets to Bayonne booked so no turning back. We plan to start walking April 1. We hope to meet many fellow pilgrims also trekking at the same time. Maya

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am planning to start at Le Puy during April. Was planning late March but have put it back 3 weeks in the hope of better weather at the start.

Still planning hgow long it might take

It's probably best to plan to take the train from CDG to either Bordeaux or Bayonne and stay the night there before heading off to St Jean PdP. You can check the train timetable on line for the train from Bayonne to St Jean as that is the section of line with the fewest number of trains per day. You have to allow at least a couple of hours for transferring from plane arrival to train (TGV) station at CDG and then some more, to allow for late plane arrival. It is quite a hike from plane arrivals to train departures even though it is all within the same building/complex. It is also cheaper to buy your train ticket before leaving home ie: outside Europe. This can be done online with you printing your own ticket. Also a good idea to book your albergue in St Jean a few weeks prior. Can highly recommend Beilari (formerly l'Esprit du Chemin) www.beilari.info, which is right opposite the Pilgrim Office. Their website also has some really useful information and great links. Buen Camino
Thank you NolaVulling, I arrive at CDG at 6:00 am on the 28th. I was hoping to get a train to Bayonne and then to SJPDP by that evening. I went ahead and booked a room at Chambres d'Hotes Maison E.Bernat for the 28th and 29th. I am starting to look seriously at train schedules now and try and book my tickets. Thank you for information on CDG and times needed, I havent been sure about how long to allow for transfers. It is great to have all the help I have found on this site and the willingness of everyone to pass along information. Happy New Year ! Stephen

Buen Camino
Arn
Hi

I am from South Africa attempting my first Camino and planning to arrive in Santiago on 14th of May 2015; the research and planning, what to take with and where to start etc. is now receiving all my energy.
Buen Camino ( have to start getting used to the Espanol!)
Derec

Some folks advise taking only two sets of everything, one set worn and one set for the next day. But this assumes the sun always shines and you never lose anything along the way. Personally, I consider that over-optimistic.

Well I could never be called over-optimistic! OK maybe I could. :) But this year is my first time with only two sets of clothing.

the research and planning, what to take with and where to start etc. is now receiving all my energy.
Join the obsessional club!

I have a flight booked from Bristol to Bordeaux on the 28th April, only about €40 ish..A night in Bordeaux! hotel about €78 and a train on the 29th to SJPDP, around €35, that is due to arrive around lunch time. Two nights in SJPDP, LUXURY!! Before the 1st May start.
Most of the kit I need is already packed and I train with that weight, around 10 kg, just starting to build up my distance and will be heading out to southern Spain next week to train in the mountains over there for a few months before flying back to Bristol in April.. By that time I should be as ready as I can be..Hopefully!!! Buen camino..

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Andrea

We have walked the Portuguese camino from Porto to Santiago in September, 2014.
Hubby & I are from Sydney, Australia & plan to walk to camino Frances from st jean pied de port starting on May, 20th.
We have been researching & training for approx 2 years.
Finishing this Camino will be our greatest achievement & we are both excited & full of anticipation.

Meryl
Hi Meryl -- I am in the process of making my travel arrangements this week. Looks like I'll be departing st. jean pied de port on Saturday, May 30. I made reservations at Refuge Orrison that night. Have fun preparing and anticipating your walk!!
Andrea

Al:

We are all looking forward to hearing of your new, minimalist approach. There are many approaches to packing clothing for a Camino. There is no "right" method. In the end, the likely optimal solution is the one that works well for you.

I wish you well on your pilgrimage.

Hi Meryl -- I am in the process of making my travel arrangements this week. Looks like I'll be departing st. jean pied de port on Saturday, May 30. I made reservations at Refuge Orrison that night. Have fun preparing and anticipating your walk!!
Andrea
Hi Andrea.
112 days until my first steps on the camino, not that I'm counting..lol... Enjoying the prep and the training...buen camino

Al:

We are all looking forward to hearing of your new, minimalist approach. There are many approaches to packing clothing for a Camino. There is no "right" method. In the end, the likely optimal solution is the one that works well for you.

I wish you well on your pilgrimage.
Is it me you are asking?

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.