• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2017

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm doing my second in 2017: the Caminho Portuguese, beginning May 4. I haven't decided if I'll start in Lisbon, Coimbra or Porto, but will decide sometime before then!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My mom and I have been talking about walking the Camino Frances since last year. When we realized we couldn't do it last summer we made a commitment to walk it next summer. So here we are... Proud members of the Camino Class of 2017!! We will start the third week of June and we are so excited! Edit: I'm glad to add that my sister will be joining us for the first week!

Last edited:
Hi,
Planning on June 1, 2017 God willing!
Plan to take 6 weeks for the Camino Frances all the way to Finisterre.
Spent some time at REI today, got fitted for a pack, looked around.
I'm really excited!
Any one else heading out around that time?
Jennifer, saw your post on your 2017 Camino. I'm taking my daughter and niece on their 1st Camino this coming year. We are scheduled to leave June 7 to Barcelona and start St Jean to Finnestere on the 8th or 9th. maybe we'll see you on the road. Buen Camino .

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Greetings from NZ :) I have chosen 2017 to be the year I do my first Camino, and I'll be doing it solo. Starting early April on the Camino Frances, with planes booked and money saved, the dream of 11 year old me is finally coming true :D hoping to celebrate my 19th birthday among fellow pilgrims from all walks of life, I look forward to meeting those of you I will have the pleasure of bumping into along the way. So here's to the class of 2017..
Buen Camino!

Bought my plane tickets for mid sept to mid Oct! This is the farthest out I have ever bought tickets, its both exciting and scary as a lot can happen before then. I was hoping to do the Levante but don't have enough time to do it with distances I am comfortable with. Right now leaning towards Madrid/Salvador/primitivo hopefully will see some of you fine folks along the path!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all! So excited! Bought my plane ticket a few days ago. June 1 Boston to Paris...July 24 Madrid to Boston! God willing I plan to walk to Finisterre and Muxia. The preparation is so much fun!
Hi Jen , wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino ,Peter .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Will be doing my first Camino (but not my first l-o-n-g walk/hike) This year. I've done lots of being out in the wild hiking for months but this will be my first "civilized" journey. Arrive in St Jean Pied De Port on Sunday, April 23, 2017. Begin the Camino on Monday April 24, 2017. Going to Santiago at a leisurely pace because I like to savour things and take the time to smell the roses, drink the coffee and pet the cats and dogs that come my way (and occasional human). See you on "The Way"

Last edited:
Bought the tickets and getting ready for the journey. Leave Dallas on June 6 to Paris. It's official . Taking my daughter and niece. Should start from sjpdp on June 9 and walk to Finnestere. Excited to experience this with my daughter and niece . I did solo walk last June so now I can share with family.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm planning to do my first Camino Francés beginning the middle of June 2017. Really looking forward to it, too. The Camino has been on my mind for years, definitely as a bucket list item but for some reason I've decided now is the time. I hope to meet lots of peregrinos along the way, as well as lots of Spaniards and other Europeans. Thanks!

Hi
I hv flight tickets to Seville on 20/3/17 and will start walking on 22/3/17 on the VdLP.... ! Feeling very excited! Am going to go through the various blogs here by various members...

Buen camino, class of 2017!

The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:

It appears from the current number of folks at this thread, that there is a significant number of fellow pilgrims in the mid-to-final stages of the planning for their Camino.
I have also noticed a decidedly large number of folks observing from the fringes.
It's been my observation, that most folks don't "accidentally" come across a site such as this. They have a purpose and, if that purpose is to seek out information, therefore why not declare yourself by joining the site along with we peregrinos...past, present and soon to be. Start your Camino from right there in the comfort of your own home, but start it with the knowledge that there are folks that you want to meet and will want to meet you in return.
The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.
Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2017?
Buen Camino
Arn

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi all, I'm also planning a Camino for 2017 - Via Francigena in Italy, starting from St Bernard Pass. I won't walk the whole way to Rome next year, maybe only 2-3 weeks, and finish it off in 2018. I'm going solo, and despite having done 3 Caminos before (Spain, Portugal, and France) I'm a little more scared this time. :( I think because it's a less developed Camino with longer distances between accommodations and poorer signage. At least that's what I imagine.. I plan to go in August. Anyone doing the VF at around the same time? I'm from Perth, Western Australia. I'll post separately for some advice later. Thanks to all who contribute so generously to this forum. Val

Greetings from NZ :) I have chosen 2017 to be the year I do my first Camino, and I'll be doing it solo. Starting early April on the Camino Frances, with planes booked and money saved, the dream of 11 year old me is finally coming true :D hoping to celebrate my 19th birthday among fellow pilgrims from all walks of life, I look forward to meeting those of you I will have the pleasure of bumping into along the way. So here's to the class of 2017..
Buen Camino!
Hello, I am in the class of 2017 too! I leave SJPP in late March 2017 for my first Camino. I too, will be celebrating my birthday along the way. I will be turning 22 in April. Planning slower walking to start for the first couple of weeks, so you will probably catch up to me and we might get to celebrate our birthdays together :)
Buen Camino

¡hola!
I wanted to walk the camino frances for a long time now. I scheduled two times to start. First time I got a job after more than a year unemployed, the job was more important at that time. Second time was this august, wanted a 2 months walk from Lourdes to Santiago, but unfortunately I got breastcancer.
And now, as part of healing, I planned a shorter walk with short stretches in the early spring (winter?): I will start february 24th from Burgos and walk to Santiago in 4 weeks.
So, I will be a 2017 class member too.
I'm so excited for finally walking my camino!
Myra
Netherlands

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
¡hola!
I wanted to walk the camino frances for a long time now. I scheduled two times to start. First time I got a job after more than a year unemployed, the job was more important at that time. Second time was this august, wanted a 2 months walk from Lourdes to Santiago, but unfortunately I got breastcancer.
And now, as part of healing, I planned a shorter walk with short stretches in the early spring (winter?): I will start february 24th from Burgos and walk to Santiago in 4 weeks.
Myra
Netherlands

Myra,

Welcome to the Forum!

For current on-going experiences re the CF now in winter see this very useful Forum thread.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-frances-in-winter.44511/

Also scan this earlier Forum thread for posts/ links by many of us who have walked the camino at this time to help you further prepare your winter camino.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...forum-walking-this-dec-jan.42732/#post-437828

Stay safe, Buen camino and Happy New Year!

¡hola!
Myra
Netherlands
Welkom Myra.
Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@DaisyJoy welcome to the forum and the camino family. Remember that the Route Napoleon is closed until the end of March, so you will be walking via Valcarlos if you start from SJPDP. Buen Camino!

Arrive Paris April 12th, will start walking from SJPdP on the 12th upon arrival or more likely the 13th. I plan to walk the Val Carlos route.

Last edited:
@DaisyJoy welcome to the forum and the camino family. Remember that the Route Napoleon is closed until the end of March, so you will be walking via Valcarlos if you start from SJPDP. Buen Camino!

Thanks Kanga, it feels good to be a part of this forum. Yes, will be walking via Valcarlos, though hoping we will be starting in Navarrenx, if we can find our way there :) Still in the research stage. Hoping that it will give a bit of a warm up before going up to Roncesvalles. Have you walked through this area of Le Puy? Do you know if the weather I can expect is much different from what I would expect past Roncesvalles? Thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
First, thank you William for keeping the "Class of..." thread going. Since the initial thread in 2007, I have been blessed to observe and take part in the Forum's growth as it provides solid, spot on information and a broad reach across many cultures.
Secondly, Ivar is responsible for shepherding the Forum from a humble beginning with few guarantees to the largest, most interactive site focused on the Way. And, although I'd like to give additional credit to the Mods, l know it's the Forum members themselves who give life to our efforts.
Lastly, whether for you the Camino is a religious, spiritual endeavor...or just a relatively cheap vacation, I believe that when one decides to become a pilgrim, from that moment, a change will take place. You may become closer to your God, your surroundings, or discover a desire, or even a need...to return to Santiago...time and time again.
Buen "Class of 2017"Camino
Arn

I will start from SJPP on April 3, 2017. I am monitoring the Forum Calendar (where I am registered) for others who will start about that time. Are many of you registering on the calendar? It will certainly make it easier for us to determine a "covey" that is starting around the same day, if people will all register.

I will start from SJPP on April 3, 2017. I am monitoring the Forum Calendar (where I am registered) for others who will start about that time. Are many of you registering on the calendar? It will certainly make it easier for us to determine a "covey" that is starting around the same day, if people will all register.
I am registered on the calendar and will start from SJPP on April 14th...

Are you planning to go on the Valcarlos route or do you think you'll be able to do the Napoleon route???

I personally waited until April 3 to begin from SJPP so that the Napoleon route would be possible. I know that weather can change that at the last minute -- but my date choice was (a) fewer crowds and (b) seeing Pyrenees in winter. Just praying that the weather is good, but also know that the Camino will provide.

My plan is:

12th of May - fly from Prague to Bordeaux and sleep there over the night
13th of May - get to SJPdP by train and get ready
14th of May - the adventure and freedom begins :)

Finally it is here again!!! I feel like it was my first time!!! :D

My plan is:

Great Jan!!!
I am planning exactly the same date as you. Start walking on April 14th from SJPP. But I am a newbie. Hope the Napoleon route will be open.
See you there!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Great Jan!!!
I am planning exactly the same date as you. Start walking on April 14th from SJPP. But I am a newbie. Hope the Napoleon route will be open.
See you there!!!
Wait a minute.. :) I start in May, not April.. But I'm sure your first Camino will be amazing! I walked the first one in 2014 and it was the best time of my life! ;)

Hello everyone! I'm Marty from the USA, precisely the Ozarks of SW Missouri. Been lurking on here a while and planning my solo Camino Frances around April 17th until whenever I end-hopefully late May. I have always wanted to go to Spain but suppose I never knew exactly why until a brief but "serendipitous" encounter with someone in July and she said I MUST do it. It immediately struck me that this was what I wanted, what I was missing, this is what I needed. A bit later I came across a lady and I commented on her necklace ( a piece from her Camino), the next day she brought me a very old book she had about the Camino-it was all meant to be and the arrows point me to the Camino. I have gathered so much information from this forum and I feel ready to go. I'm planning to celebrate my 67th birthday with fellow pilgrims on my Camino. I'm very active and in great shape for my age. Not nervous about anything, shoes, weather, backpack, etc. -it will all work out. So looking forward to my Camino, meeting fellow pilgrims along the way Thank you for all the wise posts. I will continue to follow and ask questions as I move forward. I am privileged to be included in the "Class of 2017". Buen Camino!
PS......Husband thinks I'm crazy!

Last edited:
I guess I qualify for the class of 2017, I begin my camino in Pamplona on Feb 4th...excitement, fear and wonder...I have not been out of my comfort zone for that long since boot camp in 75' I'm certainly fit enough, the bed bug issue scares me a little other than that I'm ready, the list of Albergues open all year is slim but I have high hopes..

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am officially joining camino 2017 class. Two years ago this month facing operation, no go 2015, one year ago this month could barely walk due to medication, no go 2016. Now, illness stable, ambulatory: I AM WALKING VDP. Saint James: Here I come.

Sounds like you need this nycwalking. Hope it happens for you.
Buen (whatever may come) Camino

Hello everyone! I'm Marty (aka Martha) from the USA, precisely the Ozarks of SW Missouri. Been lurking on here a while and planning my solo Camino Frances around April 17th until whenever I end-hopefully late May. I have always wanted to go to Spain but suppose I never knew exactly why until a brief but "serendipitous" encounter with someone in July and she said I MUST do it. It immediately struck me that this was what I wanted, what I was missing, this is what I needed. A bit later I came across a lady and I commented on her necklace ( a piece from her Camino), the next day she brought me a very old book she had about the Camino-it was all meant to be and the arrows point me to the Camino. I have gathered so much information from this forum and I feel ready to go. I'm planning to celebrate my 67th birthday with fellow pilgrims on my Camino. I'm very active and in great shape for my age. Not nervous about anything, shoes, weather, backpack, etc. -it will all work out. So looking forward to my Camino, meeting fellow pilgrims along the way Thank you for all the wise posts. I will continue to follow and ask questions as I move forward. I am privileged to be included in the "Class of 2017". Buen Camino!
Hi,take my word for it your not crazy.
Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter .

I guess I qualify for the class of 2017, I begin my camino in Pamplona on Feb 4th...excitement, fear and wonder...I have not been out of my comfort zone for that long since boot camp in 75' I'm certainly fit enough, the bed bug issue scares me a little other than that I'm ready, the list of Albergues open all year is slim but I have high hopes..
Hi Richard,you will do just fine.
Wish you a great time and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My plan is:

Hi Jan, wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino, Peter.

The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:

It appears from the current number of folks at this thread, that there is a significant number of fellow pilgrims in the mid-to-final stages of the planning for their Camino.
I have also noticed a decidedly large number of folks observing from the fringes.
It's been my observation, that most folks don't "accidentally" come across a site such as this. They have a purpose and, if that purpose is to seek out information, therefore why not declare yourself by joining the site along with we peregrinos...past, present and soon to be. Start your Camino from right there in the comfort of your own home, but start it with the knowledge that there are folks that you want to meet and will want to meet you in return.
The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.
Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2017?
Buen Camino
Arn
I will be starting my first Camino on April 28th, at the age of 62, in SJPDP. Already bought my plane ticket!
Bob

€149,-
Hiya,
I've been lurking for a while but I guess it's time to make it official. I'm a South African residing in Germany with the plan to do a spiritual Camino del Norte in July/August 2017. I was hoping for May but my work schedule is not going to allow that so the hot summer months it is!

I won't lie, I'm a little afraid of the huge amounts of time alone and the toll that'll take on my soul, and the walking's toll on my body (I have SI joint issues and 3 slipped discs that play up every now and then) but I simply can't get rid of the urge to walk the Camino. So after 4 months, I've given in and started getting my stuff together and training.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hiya,
I've been lurking for a while but I guess it's time to make it official. I'm a South African residing in Germany with the plan to do a spiritual Camino del Norte in July/August 2017. I was hoping for May but my work schedule is not going to allow that so the hot summer months it is!

I won't lie, I'm a little afraid of the huge amounts of time alone and the toll that'll take on my soul, and the walking's toll on my body (I have SI joint issues and 3 slipped discs that play up every now and then) but I simply can't get rid of the urge to walk the Camino. So after 4 months, I've given in and started getting my stuff together and training.
Nicky...welcome to the Forum.
My pragtige Boere meisie, Gertruida lief te stap en klim berge met my. Ons het twee fantastiese kinders saam. Ek is seker jy sal net so sterk en avontuur soos sy wees. Buen Camino,
Arn
Thank God for Google for filling in the words I couldn't remember. A

Nicky...welcome to the Forum.
My pragtige Boere meisie, Gertruida lief te stap en klim berge met my. Ons het twee fantastiese kinders saam. Ek is seker jy sal net so sterk en avontuur soos sy wees. Buen Camino,
Arn
Thank God for Google for filling in the words I couldn't remember. A

:D
Ek's 'n Engelse meisie en sou nie enige foute opgemerk nie! Mar dit is heerlik 'n bietjie Afrikaans te hoor!

Adventurous for sure - but unfortunately also highly extroverted! Thanks though for the encouragement ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Daar is baie Suid-Afrikaners op die Forum (Sil opkom). When I was stationed in Pretoria I was the only Yank on a rugby team as a fly back. In my first scrum, as a welcome aboard statement, I got the ball and "my" team opened ranks and let the opponents really give me a tough welcome. I also officiated as a football referee in Johannesburg where I met mostly English speaking players who were most welcoming. I'm sure it's easier to find a football match than rugby.
Alles van die beste,
Arn

any extra advice for a winter trek?

For current on-going experiences re the CF now this winter see this very useful Forum thread by SYates.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-frances-in-winter.44511/

Also scan this earlier Forum thread for posts/ links by many of us who have walked the camino at this time to help you further prepare your winter camino.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...forum-walking-this-dec-jan.42732/#post-437828

Stay safe and Buen camino !

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Daar is baie Suid-Afrikaners op die Forum (Sil opkom). When I was stationed in Pretoria I was the only Yank on a rugby team as a fly back. In my first scrum, as a welcome aboard statement, I got the ball and "my" team opened ranks and let the opponents really give me a tough welcome. I also officiated as a football referee in Johannesburg where I met mostly English speaking players who were most welcoming. I'm sure it's easier to find a football match than rugby.
Alles van die beste,
Arn
My apologies! That sounds however like exactly something a group of South African men would pull in the name of an initiation ritual. So typical of our sense of humour. And I'm glad to see you survived ;)

Thanks so much for the warm welcome!

I'll be back to walk some more...

Astorga to Sarria 17th-24th March

Sarria to Santiago de Compostela 24th-30th April - to arrive on my 60th birthday!

Walking the last 100km with my eldest daughter who will be flying from Tokyo to join me, and we will be met in the city by my other daughter, a son, and other friends and family members who are flying in for a weekend of celebration and partying!

All fellow pilgrims welcome to join us!

I'll be back to walk some more...

Astorga to Sarria 17th-24th March

Sarria to Santiago de Compostela 24th-30th April - to arrive on my 60th birthday!

Walking the last 100km with my eldest daughter who will be flying from Tokyo to join me, and we will be met in the city by my other daughter, a son, and other friends and family members who are flying in for a weekend of celebration and partying!

All fellow pilgrims welcome to join us!

I'll start from SJPdP end of March to arrive in Santiago 30th April. Maybe we'll be able to meet :)

I'll start from SJPdP end of March to arrive in Santiago 30th April. Maybe we'll be able to meet :)

Certainly Joseph, look forward to it! I'll be in Santiago for a couple of days, then taking a bus to muxia and Fisterra and staying there for a night - I want to see the sunset.

€149,-
Certainly Joseph, look forward to it! I'll be in Santiago for a couple of days, then taking a bus to muxia and Fisterra and staying there for a night - I want to see the sunset.

I've been to Fisterra twice before and it's lovely. Very much recommend it to stay for the night. Also the sunrise is beautiful. Here's a couple of photos of the sunrise I shot when there :)

I still have to go to Muxia. Maybe I'll visit this time :)

12188904_10156239411825437_6726671463754322774_n.jpg 12189995_10156239409210437_6758438159352217595_n.jpg 12191809_10156239405210437_6218725932011324812_n.jpg

Hello camino buddies :)

Currently feeling Camino deficient and planning on walking the Frances September 2017 SJPP to Santiago. Final dates to be decided.

(Walked SJPP to Santiago 2013 and 2015 walked SJPP to Burgos)

Will be doing my first Camino (but not my first l-o-n-g walk/hike) This year. I've done lots of being out in the wild hiking for months but this will be my first "civilized" journey. Arrive in St Jean Pied De Port on Sunday, April 23, 2017. Begin the Camino on Monday April 24, 2017. Going to Santiago at a leisurely pace because I like to savour things and take the time to smell the roses, drink the coffee and pet the cats and dogs that come my way (and occasional human). See you on "The Way"

so... Realized I had the dates wrong so I had to edit. Arrive St Jean Pied de Port on April 23 and start to walk April 24th, 2017. (Monday) So far not a SINGLE PERSON on any forum is starting their walk on April 24th! WOO HOO! Guess I'll have my pick of beds then as long as I can keep the pace up! LOL!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi All!

I'm planning to do Camino Frances next fall (Mid-September) so excited!!! I'm a little bit nervous because it is going to be my first trip alone but I know this is the best thing to do to! Right now I'm reading a lot on this wonderful forum in order to be well prepared! :)

Buen Camino!

Hi All!

I'm planning to do Camino Frances next fall (Mid-September) so excited!!! I'm a little bit nervous because it is going to be my first trip alone but I know this is the best thing to do to! Right now I'm reading a lot on this wonderful forum in order to be well prepared! :)

Buen Camino!
I think alone is good however I think you're never really alone on the Camino. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello everyone! I'm Marty from the USA, precisely the Ozarks of SW Missouri. Been lurking on here a while and planning my solo Camino Frances around April 17th until whenever I end-hopefully late May. I have always wanted to go to Spain but suppose I never knew exactly why until a brief but "serendipitous" encounter with someone in July and she said I MUST do it. It immediately struck me that this was what I wanted, what I was missing, this is what I needed. A bit later I came across a lady and I commented on her necklace ( a piece from her Camino), the next day she brought me a very old book she had about the Camino-it was all meant to be and the arrows point me to the Camino. I have gathered so much information from this forum and I feel ready to go. I'm planning to celebrate my 67th birthday with fellow pilgrims on my Camino. I'm very active and in great shape for my age. Not nervous about anything, shoes, weather, backpack, etc. -it will all work out. So looking forward to my Camino, meeting fellow pilgrims along the way Thank you for all the wise posts. I will continue to follow and ask questions as I move forward. I am privileged to be included in the "Class of 2017". Buen Camino!
Hi,take my word for it your not crazy.
Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter .
Hello Peter, I'm having a delightful experience on this forum and connected with remarkable pilgrims and that makes my anticipation even more eventful. I'm thinking every Camino needs one US chick in a COWBOY HAT..that will be me-rain or shine. Everyone has a story and a reason for the Camino. I'm so looking forward to walking solo but not "alone". Thanks for you're encouragement and support!

First Camino Frances to commence from SJPdP on April 21/22.

Much thanks for all of the shared experiences and advise on this community forum. I hope to have some to share as well.

So excited to join this fine Class of 2017!
I'm planning on leaving US on April 16th but possibly earlier. I'm going solo and perhaps we will cross paths. My birthday is April 23rd and I need some peeps to help me celebrate! Buen Camino

Planning mid-Sept start, SJPDP to SdC with my Dad, who will be celebrating 72 while on the Camino. I haven't even taken a step on the Camino and my life has already changed.

It seems like I have been planning and dreaming about walking the Camino forever, and in 2017 it will finally happen!

I first read about the Camino in a novel by David Lodge called “Therapy” (great story btw) in the 1990s, and set my heart on walking the Via de la Plata after reading Tony Kevin’s book on the subject in the late 2000s.

Since then I have had one good reason after another to delay my walk, but last week I purchased my ticket, and so now I am committed. I fly into Sevilla on 13 September, and fly out from Barcelona at around 8pm on 31 October. (I chose Barcelona so that I can hopefully fit in a visit to the two great cathedrals there before I leave: Sagrada Familia and Camp Nou).

I work that out to give me 46 days to get to SdC – 47 in a pinch – and while I am not super-fit, I am sanguine that I will be able complete the walk, and maybe even fit in a couple of rest days, in that time.

And now I have some 8 months to build up my walking fitness, review and whittle my kit so that it all fits, brush up on some basic Spanish with the great podcast “Coffee Break Spanish”, plan my stages and must-see places in detail and scour this site for all the good advice available. Oh, and get some other essential equipment – like that coil I read about a while back for making a morning cup of coffee to tide me over until I pass by a Spanish cafe or bar that is open!

I have gotten such vicarious pleasure from reading other people’s posts over the past few years and I am super-excited to be able to join the Class of 2017!

so... Realized I had the dates wrong so I had to edit. Arrive St Jean Pied de Port on April 23 and start to walk April 24th, 2017. (Monday) So far not a SINGLE PERSON on any forum is starting their walk on April 24th! WOO HOO! Guess I'll have my pick of beds then as long as I can keep the pace up! LOL!
@ivar has forum badges in the store section of the forum. If you have one of these either attached to your pack or hat then you might just met up with a fellow forum member. We have ours on our packs and a 'spare' on a lanyard which we can attach to my sil-sac when not carrying my full pack (sightseeing etc), or hang round my neck. It is also useful when trying to met others 'off camino'.
Buen Camino

Buen camino @Elenore
I'm glad you are finally getting to go on the camino :) Coffee Break Spanish is great i've used it myself over the years to brush up before trips to Spain.

@ivar has forum badges in the store section of the forum. If you have one of these either attached to your pack or hat then you might just met up with a fellow forum member. We have ours on our packs and a 'spare' on a lanyard which we can attach to my sil-sac when not carrying my full pack (sightseeing etc), or hang round my neck. It is also useful when trying to met others 'off camino'.
Buen Camino

Hey thanks! That's a good tip! I will do that.

As I have recovered from a serious illness a year ago and am 65 this year, I promised myself 2017 would be my year to follow my dream of walking the Camino. Arriving Biarritz in April and have a one way ticket but hope to take 6 weeks. Joined hillwalking club, have broken in boots, have most of my gear but have yet to fill pack and try out. So excited now. I have been following this forum and have found such good advice. MAny thanks to all contributors for taking time to post their experiences.

€149,-
As I have recovered from a serious illness a year ago and am 65 this year, I promised myself 2017 would be my year to follow my dream of walking the Camino. Arriving Biarritz in April and have a one way ticket but hope to take 6 weeks. Joined hillwalking club, have broken in boots, have most of my gear but have yet to fill pack and try out. So excited now. I have been following this forum and have found such good advice. MAny thanks to all contributors for taking time to post their experiences.
So excited for you @Anniew. To have booked your flights and to know that you are 'WELL' is joy in itself! I totally understand this feeling!
Your Camino has begun!
Buen Camino :)

I'm planning on leaving US on April 16th but possibly earlier. I'm going solo and perhaps we will cross paths. My birthday is April 23rd and I need some peeps to help me celebrate! Buen Camino
Alfachik,
It's a deal! I would love to help you celebrate I will also be solo. Let me know where you'll be on the 23rd....i will be leaving Roncessvalle on the 23rd.
Buen Camino!

Alfachik,
It's a deal! I would love to help you celebrate I will also be solo. Let me know where you'll be on the 23rd....i will be leaving Roncessvalle on the 23rd.
Buen Camino!
Great! I will stay in touch. Keeping my schedule flexible. I want a Camino party! Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi,
I have just booked my ferry ticket from Plymouth to Santander for 3rd September and I will be starting my first Camino from SJPdP to Santiago on the 6th September. I am very excited, thanks for all the great posts which have inspired me to actually go for it on my own (despite being very nervous). I can't wait now!

Hi,
I have just booked my ferry ticket from Plymouth to Santander for 3rd September and I will be starting my first Camino from SJPdP to Santiago on the 6th September. I am very excited, thanks for all the great posts which have inspired me to actually go for it on my own (despite being very nervous). I can't wait now!
Welcome to the forum @Suz1978 . If you would like to meet fellow pilgrims, and are near enough, then some of us are meeting near Exeter for a get-together. See 'Camigos in S Devon 2017' for details.

€149,-
Hi,

Buen camino @Suz1978 I leave SJPdP on the 4th September and will overnight at Orisson - you are bound to pass me at some stage (i'm slow and try not to walk more than 20km a day - 25km max) - hopefully i'll have the forum badge fixed somewhere to my pack or person so look out for it :) I'm also travelling solo - my third time setting out from SJPdP but my first solo camino (so I understand you being a little nervous). Have fun and a good crossing to Santander - i'm sure it'll be a lot calmer than when I crossed Santander back to the UK back in March - I spent a lot of time lying down in my bunk! :p

Hello everyone!
I'm planning to do Camino del Norte next summer in July/August. It will be the first Camino for me!
Thank you for sharing your experiences here, they're really useful and inspirational.

Daria
Hi Daria, wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Buen camino @Suz1978 I leave SJPdP on the 4th September and will overnight at Orisson - you are bound to pass me at some stage (i'm slow and try not to walk more than 20km a day - 25km max) - hopefully i'll have the forum badge fixed somewhere to my pack or person so look out for it :) I'm also travelling solo - my third time setting out from SJPdP but my first solo camino (so I understand you being a little nervous). Have fun and a good crossing to Santander - i'm sure it'll be a lot calmer than when I crossed Santander back to the UK back in March - I spent a lot of time lying down in my bunk! :p

Thanks, I will look out for you. I have only done the Santander ferry crossing once and it was calm so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I think I may also stop at Orisson as I have read good comments about the albergue there and I don't want to ruin myself on the first day!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks, I will look out for you. I have only done the Santander ferry crossing once and it was calm so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I think I may also stop at Orisson as I have read good comments about the albergue there and I don't want to ruin myself on the first day!

Orisson gets booked up really quickly so if you are going to stop there i'd advise booking asap - I've just paid today - they sent me a PayPal invoice - if you email them they take a wee while in replying but do get back to you - I was advised by one of the forum members to email them directly, in French (I used a translating website), and it has worked really well. I found the walk up to Orisson hard going - it's 8km and all uphill - I was really glad that in 2013 I'd made a booking there and didn't have to carry on all the way to Roncesvalles - and that was me having trained really well - i'd been in Gibraltar for 6 weeks prior to leaving where everything is uphill! In 2015 I got a French friend to phone them for me late July/early August but they were already fully booked so I walked the Valcarlos route - OK to Valcarlos but the next day Valcarlos to Roncesvalles I found hard going but I think I was dehydrated even before I left!

The experience at Orisson is second to none - they look after you really well and it's great to meet and get to know other people who are walking - usually quite a few ladies walking on their own :)

Here's to a calm crossing :) As i'm coming from Scotland i'm flying Glasgow -> Southampton - > Biarritz this time, just makes it easier because I also have to get to Glasgow in the first place so will travel there the day before.

You'll find this forum is great for info - I don't know what I'd have done without the invaluable info from the good folks on here!

Orisson gets booked up really quickly so if you are going to stop there i'd advise booking asap - I've just paid today - they sent me a PayPal invoice - if you email them they take a wee while in replying but do get back to you - I was advised by one of the forum members to email them directly, in French (I used a translating website), and it has worked really well. I found the walk up to Orisson hard going - it's 8km and all uphill - I was really glad that in 2013 I'd made a booking there and didn't have to carry on all the way to Roncesvalles - and that was me having trained really well - i'd been in Gibraltar for 6 weeks prior to leaving where everything is uphill! In 2015 I got a French friend to phone them for me late July/early August but they were already fully booked so I walked the Valcarlos route - OK to Valcarlos but the next day Valcarlos to Roncesvalles I found hard going but I think I was dehydrated even before I left!

The experience at Orisson is second to none - they look after you really well and it's great to meet and get to know other people who are walking - usually quite a few ladies walking on their own :)

Here's to a calm crossing :) As i'm coming from Scotland i'm flying Glasgow -> Southampton - > Biarritz this time, just makes it easier because I also have to get to Glasgow in the first place so will travel there the day before.

You'll find this forum is great for info - I don't know what I'd have done without the invaluable info from the good folks on here!

Thanks for the advice. I have just sent them an email (I'm a French teacher which is useful sometimes!)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello all,
I am proud to say I will part of the class of 2017. I walked part of the Camino back in april'15 from Sarria to SDC and fell in love with everything about it, the food, the wine, the people, the views.
So this year I've decide to ride my bike from Pamplona to SDC and If I have enough time perhaps a little further. I will be starting in early sept this year and hoping to possibly pick up a like minded traveler to join me all the way or part of the route.
I really looking forward to it and would like to wish all you out there a buen Camino

Hello camino buddies :)

Currently feeling Camino deficient and planning on walking the Frances September 2017 SJPP to Santiago. Final dates to be decided.

(Walked SJPP to Santiago 2013 and 2015 walked SJPP to Burgos)
My husband, son and I will be walking the Camino mid-September also! It's all of our first time. I made the decision 2 years ago and have been researching and planning since. I just bought most of my equipment this week and can hardly wait for September to come! I hope we meet you along the way!

My husband, son and I will be walking the Camino mid-September also! It's all of our first time. I made the decision 2 years ago and have been researching and planning since. I just bought most of my equipment this week and can hardly wait for September to come! I hope we meet you along the way!

Excellent! It's very exciting when everything starts to come together isn't it - I now have my flights booked and I walk out of SJPdP on the 4th September. I found that September/October is a great time to walk - not too hot, not too cold, not too rainy :)

Hope you and your family have a great walk, buen camino to you all @lisac :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello, firstly thank you for all the posts, your knowledge and experience is invaluable ,I have gathered so much information and they have spurred me on to walk again. My previous walks were in the month of April and were very wet, so this year I am starting my Camino in August as i love the sun more than the rain. I thoroughly enjoyed my previous walks and told myself I would do some part of a Camino every year, alas ill health/family have prevented me, but now i just ignore pain/drs warnings etc and get on with my life.
Last week visiting family in Spain i chatted to a chap who was on day 3 of his Camino from Alicante to Santiago, it brought back memories and was a sign to walk again.
I love walking, I live on the coast and walk about 2 hours a day. I would love to do another route but are a bit unsure but as i know Frances route has a lot of flat walks nor is too strenuous, i will walk that again.
I'm in Ypres July/Aug and will travel by train via Lille Bordeaux and spend night at Biarritz, then catch train and start at SJPP on August 6th.
Buen Camino

Hello to everyone! I'm so excited to join the Class of 2017! I'm going to start my first Camino in Porto on the 23 of May. I'll go alone but hope to meet some of you on my Way!

Buen Camino!

Hello to everyone! I'm so excited to join the Class of 2017! I'm going to start my first Camino in Porto on the 23 of May. I'll go alone but hope to meet some of you on my Way!
Buen Camino!

Welcome to the forum @Caminogirl2017

Enjoy your camino in May, i'm sure you won't be alone for long :)

Buen camino / Bom caminho

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My husband and I are walking September/October also, hope to see you there!

Greetings, fellow peregrinos! This 55-year-old California girl is happy to add her name to the roster for the Class of '17. Planning to walk the Camino Frances from SJPdP in about 6 weeks, beginning late March/early April. It has been a year of healing and transformation for me, capped by unexpectedly being laid off by my long-term employer. What an opportunity -- after decades of staring at a computer screen all day, to say I'm looking forward to embracing the adventure of the Camino is an understatement. Cannot wait to begin! Buen camino a todos.

Hi all! So excited! Bought my plane ticket a few days ago. June 1 Boston to Paris...July 24 Madrid to Boston! God willing I plan to walk to Finisterre and Muxia. The preparation is so much fun!
Hi Jen,
Congrats on your Camino plans.
I am also planning on flying Boston Logan to Paris, Charles Degaul with a short layover in London. Then hoping to take the bullet to Bayonne then a slow train to SJPDP(train geek). Then home flying Santiago, short layover Madrid then Boston. I never thought it would be so difficult to try to think out timetables, connections and try to do it as inexpensively as possible. Can you or any other Camino members give me your experience or advice? Time is not an issue as to layovers etc. Once I'm on the Camino I can relax with no timetables or schedules.
Many Thanks,
Ed

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well...count me in for 2017! The Camino has been on my Life List (my version of a Bucket List and a much better term if you ask me) for many years and I've been lurking around the forum for probably about a year, so with the big 6-0 looming this year I decided to make my move. Flights to Paris are booked so there's no changing my mind now! As a solo walker I'm anxious, exhilarated, scared and can't wait. Yup, lots of feelings all rolled together. Good thing there's lots of gear to research and purchase otherwise the time would drag.

congratulations, @Liddybee. great way to celebrate your upcoming milestone. i can relate to the mix of feelings. fine line sometimes between fear & excitement i wish you a buen camino.

Hi,
I'll be a couple of days behind you to start, leaving SJPdP on Sept 8th but you never know...our paths may cross. I'm very proud of you for going solo. I'm also on my own so I know how those mixed feelings are.
Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello all. I plan to do the CDS Frances starting in late April 2017. I just retired - no schedules to worry about so I will just take my time. I have already been working the 40 years of rust out of my system and will be ready to roll in 2017. Looking forward to it. Buen Camino, Bill (California) Just a quick add: My 27 year old daughter will be accompanying me for the first week. She is super excited to be part of this adventure.
Hi Bill...The better half and I may see you! We start from SJPdP on 27 April. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back