• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2019

A 2.8 mile first walk is nice start I feel. I guess that could represent about a 15-20% walk of a walk day. I expect after the heat wave to resume walking 4 -5 walks a week and every week extend the distance.

One month almost, four weeks yesterday. Now I easily walk 4 miles in a bit over an hour. Seems too short and too quick. Just four short weeks of diligence and am really making progress. Added a pack but it was usual day pack w/o hip belt so I stopped until I have my Camino pack. Will gradually add weight. If my walks are too difficult with a full pack I am likely going to use a service and cary a 20L day pack instead. I would rather do that than loose walking. I also added sticks but have had trouble "getting it right" and have had very sore wrists. I watched some videos and will try again. Sticks helped for sure but at a price.

Mods,
If updating my info and progress here is not correct or allowed please notify me and I will delete or move.

D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all, April 2019 is shaping up as the time to walk the Camino Portugues for me. Back in the 90's, I read Shirley McLane's book about her experience of walking the Camino (Frances) and I knew back then it was something I needed to experience for myself. The time has come, yay! Coming from Australia getting the flight sorted now (they seem to be filling up fast).

Heyo. So, it's my 50th birthday on November 2nd. No big on birthdays, but 50? Wanted to do something meaningful, spiritual and introspective. Camino Frances! I am only just starting to look at info and I am SUPER overwhelmed. This Forum is great for details, but I need the basics. Can anyone recommend a website/resource to give me a map and pointers on how to map my trip? I want to walk for 7 days. Roughly 20kms per day. Need to find where to start and how to map my accommodations. Eek. Trying to land in CdS on my actual birthday. Much thanks in advance. And will be checking this forum constantly.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hey all! I'll be doing my first Camino Frances June/July of 2019. Fight is booked, as well as a hostel in Madrid and an albergue in SJPP. May God wrap his loving arms around us all and keep us safe on our journeys. Buen camino!
Wish you all the best and a Buen Camino , Peter .

Finished CF 2018 on Aug 6 and immediately started planning for 2019. Will be back late June or early July again for Norte but may do CF once more ... I’m missing the Meseta already and I’m not being sarcastic.

Hello! My name is Erika. I am from the US, but I live in Madrid during the school year. I've been wanting to do the Camino de Santiago for several years now and have read many books on it. I think this year will be my final year in Spain, so I want to go out with a bang and do the Camino next summer. I would like to walk with someone because I am a bit scared to go alone, but it's also difficult to find someone who wants to dedicate a month of their time to walk. I'm debating on whether to do the Francés or Norte route. I feel like there are more people to feel safer on the Francés, but everyone who walks the Norte says it's absolutely beautiful.

Hello! My name is Erika. I am from the US, but I live in Madrid during the school year. I've been wanting to do the Camino de Santiago for several years now and have read many books on it. I think this year will be my final year in Spain, so I want to go out with a bang and do the Camino next summer. I would like to walk with someone because I am a bit scared to go alone, but it's also difficult to find someone who wants to dedicate a month of their time to walk. I'm debating on whether to do the Francés or Norte route. I feel like there are more people to feel safer on the Francés, but everyone who walks the Norte says it's absolutely beautiful.

My best advice, start your journey alone...I promise you, you will meet people, make friends, and never be actually by yourself. You’ll find like minded individuals and people who hike at your pace.

That being said, I’ve seen both good and bad experiences from people who started the journey with others to where they either stopped walking together, ended their trip prematurely, or they finished with one another. It’s a mixed bag.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello!
My very good girl friend and I are walking the Frances Route out of SJPdP beginning the end of May 2019. We are both crazy excited about it. Already have airline tickets into Paris and will make our way down to the starting point. We plan to walk through to Santiago arriving after about 38 days. We have both began to physically and mentally prepare, buying essentials along the way. This will be the first camino for us both and we are very much looking forward to the adventure. I have certainly learned a lot from this forum and appreciate everyone's posts.

After a lot of negotiation with my partner and family members, I have booked my flights for the CP for June 2019. The flight price was simply too good to miss but, sadly, my partner will not be joining me which is a huge shame as I had always imagined it as being something that we would do together.

After a lot of negotiation with my partner and family members, I have booked my flights for the CP for June 2019. The flight price was simply too good to miss but, sadly, my partner will not be joining me which is a huge shame as I had always imagined it as being something that we would do together.
Hi David , welcome.
Wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino , Peter.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello!
My very good girl friend and I are walking the Frances Route out of SJPdP beginning the end of May 2019. We are both crazy excited about it. Already have airline tickets into Paris and will make our way down to the starting point. We plan to walk through to Santiago arriving after about 38 days. We have both began to physically and mentally prepare, buying essentials along the way. This will be the first camino for us both and we are very much looking forward to the adventure. I have certainly learned a lot from this forum and appreciate everyone's posts.
Wish you both a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino , Peter .

The Class of .. threads were started back in 2007. At that time I had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. My original post:

It appears from the current number of folks at this thread, that there is a significant number of fellow pilgrims in the mid-to-final stages of the planning for their Camino. I have also noticed a decidedly large number of folks observing from the fringes.

It's been my observation, that most folks don't "accidentally" come across a site such as this. They have a purpose and, if that purpose is to seek out information, therefore why not declare yourself by joining the site along with we peregrinos...past, present and soon to be. Start your Camino from right there in the comfort of your own home, but start it with the knowledge that there are folks that you want to meet and will want to meet you in return.

The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.

Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2018?

Buen Camino
Arn

At one time in my life I would have wondered if this or that would have changed if only, I had done such and so
. Now instead of cudda, wudda, shudda, I am blessed to have had many experiences, met many folks (especially on the Forum and walked the Way knowing that since 2007 the Camino will always be there for me and the new Class of...pilgrims on the horizon.

Arn
I have just returned from a wonderful Camino earlier this week and I have to say I hope to return again for number 6 as my 72nd birthday present to myself in August 2019.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Please pray for good dry weather, I'm stepping out on the VDLP in 98 days, really getting excited and apprehensive, one way or the other I know in my heart that everything will work out fine.
If you're out there at that time we might bump into each other, I'll be the really old guy with the happy smile.

HI!
I'll be doing CF June/July. This is my 50th Bday present trip. Just booked my flights last week. Now for the long wait. Excited and nervous - first time traveling alone and the thought of navigating the train/bus system worries me a bit.
Where are you flying into?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi All,
Planning my first Camino on the CF. Just booked my flight & first night accom for 11th March 2019 so I guess it’s happening. Many thanks to all whoever posted on here, making it easier for a newbie like me,
Chris

My flights are booked! I leave Brisbane Australia on the 13th April 2019. Landing in Paris where I will stay 2 nights. Exciting and scary. THe countdown has started

Connie and I will be leaving Paris on the 15th as well. Maybe we'll see you on the train! If you need any logistics advice, drop me a PM....we are veterans.

Buen Camino

I walked the CF in July/Aug of 2016. Last night I booked my flights for early July 2019 to walk it again! I can hear the Camino calling my name so I decided to just book it. I am in the process of applying to get my Masters degree starting next September, so this will be my little "reset" to help me prepare to work full time and go to school part time. Buen Camino everyone!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wife and I have been invited and accepted as Hospitaleros at the Albergue Parroquial Santiago Apostol in
Acebo for Oct 1-15, 2019. Preceding this volunteering, we will be hiking most likely from SJPDP to Acebo to start our service. See you on the Camino or perhaps serve you at the Albergue. Either way will be a blessing for us...... Ed

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked from Le Puy as far as Auvillar this past June. Had pretty good weather overall. I LOVED this route. Be sure to include the Cele Valley variant if you have time. It was incredible.

€60,-
Hello!

I plan on doing my first Camino in early January 2019 (maybe around the 8th), on the French route. Due to fortunate or unfortunate circumstances, I have quite a lot of free time lately, so I decided I want to fulfill one of my dreams. I understand a winter Camino will be harder, but I have faith and experience hiking. Thank you for being such a great resource!

Going in January I'd possible start in Pamplona, you could start in SJPDP and do the Valcarlos route to Roncenvalles but I'm not sure how difficult that would be with the weather.
There are some experienced winter walkers on the forum that can give you better advice that I. Hang in there, they will be along.

This old Corpsman is planning to do the VdlP in 2019 and also owes much to folks who have been kind enough to share on this forum. Marines can always count on a free adult beverage of their choice from this old "Doc".

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Had intended to start my Camino in January 2019 in Seville. Circumstances beyond my control mean that I now cannot start until April. A little concerned that I will be a woman walking alone for long periods. Is anybody else out there planning similar start date?

@kim in cornwall
No, I will not be there to accompany you in April. But having walked the VdlP alone last autumn, October to November, I assure you that I did not feel unsafe. My main problems were heat and dryness, which I do not expect will trouble you in April. Buen camino.

Had intended to start my Camino in January 2019 in Seville. Circumstances beyond my control mean that I now cannot start until April. A little concerned that I will be a woman walking alone for long periods. Is anybody else out there planning similar start date?
Hi Kim from Cornwall,
Me and my sister are planning to start from Sevilla around March 22 and take our time :)
Maybe we meet down the road somewhere.
Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey all! I will be walking the Frances starting late May of 2019. I land in Paris and will make my way to SJPDP. Will continue to Finisterre and Muxia if I am up to it and then fly back to the States out of Lisbon or London (haven't decided yet).
This forum has been great and I look forward to seeing many of you out there!

Hi and Buen Camino! My name is Kevin and I'm from sunny Phoenix, AZ. I'm set for my first Camino from Leon to Santiago in mid-May 2019. Planning on flying into Madrid, arriving on the 17th, and taking the train to Leon. Start hiking on the 18th. I've heard you can hike Leon to Santiago in about 14 days but I'm allowing about 21. It's not a race and I want to enjoy the journey. This is something of a 60th birthday to myself (I'll be 60 in March).

I've been doing plenty of planning as far as what to take, how far to walk each day (I'm planning on 15-20km...depends on the terrain, some days maybe more, some days maybe less), which albergues to stay and which to avoid, etc. Have obtained some good info from those who have done different Caminos. The key seems to be stay as light as possible with your pack.

Have heard a lot about the climb up O'Cebreiro. Looking forward to the challenge. What kind of weather can I expect in mid-May? I'm guessing just about anything is possible.

Any suggestions for a first-timer (gear, routes, albergues, etc.) are much appreciated.

Thanks, and maybe I'll be fortunate enough to meet a few of you along the way!

Numbers 10 & 11....the Celtic Camino from A Coruna in May out to Finisterre...and back in September with a short hop skip and a jump from Ourense to Santiago on the Sanabres.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello everyone. I am walking SJDP to Logrono then transferring to Sarria and walking to Santiago from there, September 2019. Family and time constraints don't allow me to do the whole CF at this time, although I really wanted to. I will settle for the best of both worlds for now. As planned, I will turn 55 the day I walk in to Santiago, God willing, and fulfill a promise I made to myself 3 years ago. I send the youngest off to college August 2019 and off I'll go shortly after that. I am looking forward to sharing in everyone's experiences, just reading this post makes me feel at home. Thank you in advance for your wisdom and experiences.

Hi all, I am a newbie here! Need some help and advice. Will be doing the Camino next August, planning on doing 8 days. I am still unsure which route to take. Would like a more scenic route with less ‘tarmac’ in it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. A friend had suggested the Porto way but someone else said 80% of it is on tarmac. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi everyone,
I plan on starting the Camino Frances in April and finishing in May 2019. I'm retired so time is not a huge issue for me and from what I have been reading an April start will avoid the summer crowds. No doubt I will think of plenty of questions to ask as the time draws closer.

Cheers

Lindsay
Also starting in April and finishing in May - around 35 days if all goes to plan. Good luck with yours!

...but are now in the planning stages for a 2019 trek of the Via de la Plata, hoping to start in Malaga and if we have to Seville aka Sevilla. Anyone else thinking of doing this Camino?

Buen Caminos :)
I started in Sevilla, my friend started in Granada on the Mozárabe...both of us loved our routes.
If you are thinking about a summer Camino, I have a pinned post in the VDLP forum.

Welcome to the forum @Jamin and to the Camino. I am sure you will be inundated with suggestions. I'd go for the Sanabrés from Ourense, or the Camino Frances from Sarria (or slightly further back, depending on how much you want to walk each day).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ok took my first true "steps" toward training today. I walked a 2.8 mile RT in about 50 minutes. I walk my dog, I walk at work and I am on my feet a lot in general but this was a walk by myself (no dog stopping every 4' to sniff or...) with purpose. Sadly we are having the beginning of a heat wave (not as bad as S. Europe though) and I began at 80° and finished at almost 90°. I feel a blister beginning under a callous on the ball of my foot so I will need to address that as I continue to train.

Just a bit of back story. I "was" 350 pounds and have gained about 100 pounds the past decade or so. A month or so ago I got serious about losing weight (I will turn 60 very soon) and getting back to health. I am unsure of my current weight (not using a scale to avoid pitfalls) but have gone down a couple sizes (from tight 3X shirts to loose 2X) and can now tie my shoes without huffing and puffing or feeling like I am going to "pop". I plan to loose about 100 pounds from heaviest to the Camino walk in Spring. If I had to guess, I figure I lost about 30 pounds since June.

I feel like the diet (I won't bore folks about the plan I am on, suffice to say it involves lifestyle changes and weight loss is only a byproduct of that) was step one and now walking is step two. A 2.8 mile first walk is nice start I feel. I guess that could represent about a 15-20% walk of a walk day. I expect after the heat wave to resume walking 4 -5 walks a week and every week extend the distance. After week two I will add a backpack. My goal for my B-Day (In Oct) is to walk a 7-8 mile RT. By the time I leave for Portugal I will be up to 10 miles a day or more. Luckily I live in a place with nice walks including a 21 mile bike path loop with pedestrians welcome.

D
Congratulations!!! Keep up the good work. I have struggled and YoYo'd all my life -- what again. I too am wanting to lose before I venture on my first Camino next Fall.

I started in Sevilla, my friend started in Granada on the Mozárabe...both of us loved our routes.
If you are thinking about a summer Camino, I have a pinned post in the VDLP forum.
Expecting to leave October 1, 2019 .. a winter trek :)

Hi all. Planning on doing the Mozarabe from Malaga to SdC in March April 2019. In 2017 I did the VdP from Seville and then transferred from Salamanca to Coimbra to walk the Portuguese up to Santiago. Why? Friends invited me to stay at at their house in Porto over Easter weekend and the thought of the comparative luxury of a quiet room of my own as well as home cooking for a couple of days (and, of course, their company) was too much to resist. Don.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My husband and two children walked the CF in March/April this year. An Easter Camino

Suckers for punishment on every possilbe level, we are setting out again in mid Dec 2019/Jan 2020. A Christmas Camino.

Not by design, just circumstance.

That's when my 21 yo daughter and I plan on walking the CF, Mar/Apr. Any tips for that time of year?

Jerry

Oh dear. Every time I look at this site, I see alternative routes I hadn't considered before. It's like looking at a menu in a restaurant and having to choose from so many dishes. Now I am thinking of the Sureste. So, Mozarabe or Sureste? I'll have to make up my mind soon as I want to start in March 2019. It's a flip of the coin at the moment but any suggestions would be welcome.

You may call me crazy, walking in summer, but I plan to walk the first half of the Via de la Plata (Sevilla to Salamanca) in June 2019.

I have already walked it in September 2008 and according to Aemet the weather-conditions are similar. But the advantage of June are the longer days.

BC
Alexandra

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, joined this years class , didn't think I'd be back for the class of 2019, but as a lot of you know it's addictive. Met so many folk this year who had walked several Caminos, think 15 was the most, the hospitalero in Leon, he was planning a winter Camino across the picos. I'm sure someone will know of someone who has walked more Caminos. Looking at the Primitivo, originally thought May, but it would seem that May is a wetter month than June in Asturia, unlike Scotland. So hoping for a dry May in Scotland, and then a sunny Camino in June, just to book flights, have been a click away a couple of times, Edinburgh to Santander, rambling now, Buen camino, Bill

That's when my 21 yo daughter and I plan on walking the CF, Mar/Apr. Any tips for that time of year?

Jerry
Hey Jerry, What would you like to know? We had snow, rain, hail, sleet and more so have lots of layers. we also had some lovely sunny days. A lot of places are closed but things start opening up from around the 15th of March. A lot of bars are open for business but have their doors shut (due to the cold weather) so be mindful of this. We stayed in a few albergues (private rooms) but mostly in little hotels along the way - personal choice. There were pleanty of people on the path, but not at all crowded. We made many friends :) and had a camino family along the way . If there is anything specific you want to ask, I would be happy to answer.

The walk from Valcarlos to Roncesvalles was tough going. We took the first two trails in the bush and ended up bypassing the third. Next time we go we will walk the road the entire way (we will probably have to in December). To be fair, I was very worried about the kids as it was a goat track with a drop down to the fast flowing river. Finally, have good gloves!!!

I thought I wrote here....but I'm afraid I didn´t. OK, let's go:

February 19th starting in Roncesvalles. Hopefully some "thirty and so" days later I'll be sit on a rock in Muxía fighting against "all is over by now" sensation ;-)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey Jerry, What would you like to know? We had snow, rain, hail, sleet and more so have lots of layers. we also had some lovely sunny days. A lot of places are closed but things start opening up from around the 15th of March. A lot of bars are open for business but have their doors shut (due to the cold weather) so be mindful of this. We stayed in a few albergues (private rooms) but mostly in little hotels along the way - personal choice. There were pleanty of people on the path, but not at all crowded. We made many friends :) and had a camino family along the way . If there is anything specific you want to ask, I would be happy to answer.

The walk from Valcarlos to Roncesvalles was tough going. We took the first two trails in the bush and ended up bypassing the third. Next time we go we will walk the road the entire way (we will probably have to in December). To be fair, I was very worried about the kids as it was a goat track with a drop down to the fast flowing river. Finally, have good gloves!!!

Hi Gumba,

That’s exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks! Taking gloves never occurred to me. Great advice.

Having said that, we’re contemplating the Camino Norte to the Primitivo instead of the CF. Same time of year so from what I’ve read so far, the same precautions should be taken, layers, etc.

Thanks again!
Jerry

Pleased to have helped. Wishing you Buen Camino whichever route you decide. I should point out that there was an unseasonally cold snap across Europe when we started in March so this picture (me looking on at our 2 boys) is not necesarily indicative - taken Mid March just past the sign in Roncesvalles... Overnight in Zubiri they had 25cm of snow...

Attachments

• Camino snow.jpg
    Camino snow.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 18
Starting the Camino Frances again from SJPdP on either the 1st or 3rd of May fingers crossed.

I walked from SJPdP in May/June this year but only got as far as Melide before I had to fly home due to a bereavement. I will be rewalking from the start in memory of the loved one I lost on the last journey.

I hope to meet some of you along the Way and wish you all a Buen Camino on your chosen paths!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the CF in 2013 and 2016. I’m now contemplating walking Le Puy to SJPP September/October 2019. Anyone else thinking this route?

Starting in late March, I'll be walking the Camino Madrid, then following the Frances to the start of the Invierno route. Once I'm at SdC, I am planning to walk the Portugese route from Porto before returning home to Canada.
As so many others have found, walking the Frances route (last year) was a wonderful experience. It left me with a deep longing to get back on the Camino. I know I'm taking some "less traveled" paths this time, but I will have the Sagahun to Ponferrada stretch on the Frances as a contrast. If I find I'm missing the camaraderie while on the Madrid, I might skip the Invierno and stay on the Frances into SdC.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am a woman walking alone in April. There seems to be no issue with walking alone and I am not concerned. Maybe I will see you along the way.

Great News! I found out that I have still 5 more days of leave entitlement left than I thought (in the whole 25 days, i.e. 5 weeks). So I will definitely set off for a 3 weeks camino at the beginning of June 2019.

Having booked my flights now, I know I will start Walking in Seville on May 30 and hope to reach Salamanca or even Zamora by June 20 or 21. My return-flight is on June 21, late in the evening from Madrid.

Last edited:
Hola - with Easter being late April 2019 (I think Good Friday is 19th) it might be a fantastic climax to arrive in Santiago just as Holy Week starts. (Caution if this is the case then might need to plan ahead for accommodation purposes). Buen Camino!

Want to reinforce the need for accommodations in advance if you are coming into SdC during Holy Week. Accommodations from Sarria will be tight! We came in 2017 during Holy Week and the Brierly stage accommodation rations were completely filled.

€60,-
I think this depends on your planning. Surely you need to book in advance if you intend to arrive in Santiago between God Fridy and Easter Sunday. But arriving on Easter Monday (no holiday in Spain) there was no difficulty to obtain a bed.

The seed germinated two years ago. Originally it was intended as a fitness plan in order to pass a medical due in May '19 for my 70th birthday.
Last year, 2017, I realised that March each year is Prostate Cancer awareness month. As I'm a survivor to this killer, I decided to aim to raise some money for that. I originally targeted the Norte but then discovered that the ups and downs were more severe than the Frances so the Frances it is.
I started 'training' last March and I'm now up to 20Kms without screaming. After Christmas I'll start with the joining up of consec. days and the carrying of the pack. Over the New Year I have to present my pack and contents to be the subject of criticism by my SIL who is an ex. Tank Commander. I expect amendments to be made to the contents.
The flights (both there and back) are booked. Those very nice people at a budget airline in the UK have even given me Hold Baggage for free on hearing that I'm doing the Camino for charity.
I've looked at the Hostels in Pamplona (and the rest of the route) but if you see a grizzled old man sleeping in the Bus Station at Pamplona on the 28th Feb. take pity on him.
Likewise on the Frances in March. I'm amenable to being dragged into hostelries without argument, and, although I'm doing this solo, I know I have support at home. Well, up to the 16th. Then SWMBO goes on a cruise with her sister. I think I got the better gig.

My husband and I are planning our first Camino (CF) for the July time frame (celebrating his birthday and our anniversary on the Camino!) Not looking forward to the crowds, but you work with what you've got. We're doing this as part of a major life and career transition as a way to release what was and focus on what will be (whatever that may look like).

We hiked Mt. Fuji in 2016 and are looking forward to what the Camino offers us (except bedbugs, that's a gift I don't really want LOL)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Class of .. threads were started back in 2007. At that time I had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. My original post:

It appears from the current number of folks at this thread, that there is a significant number of fellow pilgrims in the mid-to-final stages of the planning for their Camino. I have also noticed a decidedly large number of folks observing from the fringes.

It's been my observation, that most folks don't "accidentally" come across a site such as this. They have a purpose and, if that purpose is to seek out information, therefore why not declare yourself by joining the site along with we peregrinos...past, present and soon to be. Start your Camino from right there in the comfort of your own home, but start it with the knowledge that there are folks that you want to meet and will want to meet you in return.

The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.

Buen Camino
Arn

At one time in my life I would have wondered if this or that would have changed if only, I had done such and so
. Now instead of cudda, wudda, shudda, I am blessed to have had many experiences, met many folks (especially on the Forum and walked the Way knowing that since 2007 the Camino will always be there for me and the new Class of...pilgrims on the horizon.

Arn
I am proud to say, I am a graduate of the class of 2018. From SJPP to Santiago, one of the greatest experiences of my life, had some great times. met some great people. I feel so blessed to be part of this experience. My only regret, I am not there now. Buen Camino and Happy New Year!

I am starting on the 19th April with a booking for Orisson that night (Good Friday). You will probably pass me as I will be taking it very slowly.

I'm a graduate of 2015 through 2018, so it is camino number 5 coming up for me this March 2019. This one will be very different to the others because I've become a runner (too late in life to break any world records but still nutty enough to have silly ideas tho) and will be running a half marathon every day as well as a bit of warm-up and cool-down walking. Probably a Pamplona or Logrono start depending on the time available. If you see a runner with an Osprey 5l running pack with a Finnish flag on the back it will be me!

My wife and I are planning to leave SJPDP on April 1 2019 to SDC. Looking forward to it. We hope it is not too cold for us at the start but we are from the upper midwest in the US so it is probably warmer than at home.

So - leave from work approved for four and a bit weeks in September/October this year! I'm expecting to be starting around 19/20 September from St Jean, but plenty of training to go between now and then!

€83,-
My husband and I will be leaving from Porto on 16 June, finishing in Santiago on the 26th if we can avoid injury and the temptation to spend more than one night anywhere along the way. I took the same route solo in 2013 and it took me 14 days, spending an extra night in Ponte de Lima, Tui, and Padron. We just booked our flights last week and I couldn't be more excited! I've got my 2019 Brierley and I've been styudying it meticulously. We are planning on walking along the coast for the first day out of Porto, then joining the central route for the rest of the way.

Do any veterans here know if they still have the beach bonfire every night in Fisterra? That was one of the highlights at the end of my trip last time, but I have heard (from an unreliable source) that they don't do that anymore. If that's the case, then we will skip Fisterra for an extra day to lounge around Lisbon before heading home.

My husband and I are planning on starting at SJPP around April 18, 2019. This will be our first camino. We are from Colorado, and are planning finishing in 40 days or so. Buen Camino a Todos!

We are starting in SJPP around April 18, 2019.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi there
I am planning to start Mid June my CF. I got addicted to the camino last year during my CP. I loved it even though there were days full of pain. I guess like everyone has.
People around me think, I am crazy because I will walk over 800km. 🤩
But I can‘t wait to walk them!
Btw sorry, my English is not really good.
Greetings

I did post elsewhere but perhaps I should have posted here - sorry! I start from SJPdP on 27 April and due to finish at Santiago on 30 May. Accommodation all booked but flight from London to Biarritz still to be booked. Looking forward to the company although I usually and very happily walk alone. However as one of my long distance walks was the Coast to Coast path in England the company along the way and in the evenings really added to the experience.

Camino Del Norte (CDN) starting in Irun on April Fool's Day, 2019. I will walk together with my wife, Carol, until Santander, then I have to head back to work. She will carry on to Santiago and earn full bragging rights :D Let's go walking!

Buen Camino
Arn

Arn

We are planning to walk the Camino del Norte in June 2019. This will be my second Camino as I walked SHPdP in 2016. Heavily into training especially for mountains at the moment. Am walking with two other women who have done the Frances twice. I am from Melbourne, Australia and really excited about the walk ahead 😘 As a “fringe dweller” I have been a member of this forum for 4 years and greatly value the information, stories and opinions of others who have contributed. 😍

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'll start my first section of Camino del Norte on March 17th from Irun and try to arrive in Gijón for April 5 or 6.
Buen Camino everyone!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi I am Mark. I live and work in Reading UK, but am lucky enough to have a tiny bolt hole home in magnificent Almeria mountains in southern Spain. (Camino Mozarabe one day maybe?)
I am planning (flights, accomodation in Bayonne, St Jean PP and Roncesvalles all booked) to set off on #Camino2019 on July 24th and aim to reach Santiago around 24/25 August.
Usually a cyclist, I have always dreamt of walking Camino Frances, each time I saw a pilgrim or a blue Camino sign by the roadside the dream just got closer.
Decided it needed to be done before I turn 50 in 2021 so 2019 is the year.
Shoes nicely walked in.
Found a gorgeous scallop on deserted beach in Doñana at Christmas.
Looking forward to meeting a whole load of like-minded souls and interesting folk on My Long Walk 2019

@MayordomoEl
MyLongWalk.net
mylongwalk2019.home.blog-1858547076_20190111_160050_2227053_resized.jpg

Last edited:
I am starting from st jean on 3rd April- flight booked and accommodation sorted in st jean on the 2nd - travelling on my own - very slowly I expect - uncertain on whether or not to bring sleeping bag as I wish to carry my pack and travel very very light ????

Flight booked on the 8th of June to Oporto. I'm planning to do my first camino with the Senda Litoral, Variante Espiritual and then to Fisterra, health and blisters permitting. Now this is the plan, I feel excited as 30 years ago when reading the Lonely Planet before leaving to explore Asia. But scared at the same time because never walked seriously apart from bringing the dog for an hour relaxed hike.
Unfortunately my kind request to daughter and son to escort and prolly help me on this venture ended up with some polite "wtf you serious? we finish school on the 7th and you're asking us to leave for 15 days of trekking?" I know they're loosing something special, but that's it, alone will be since my wife "choosed" to care for the last kid (I know, I'm selfish but I'm tired to say "tomorrow").

Just started to train, still having to buy new shoes;, I fear I'm a bit late since I only have Sunday and Monday morning to actually walk for long, but on spring with day light time increase I hope to extract a couple of hours in the late afternoon to better shape my condition.

Buen camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm planning a return visit to the Camino Frances in September 2019, just waiting for my boss to approve my leave so I can start booking things.

Hi @Chopinet, You will most likely be just fine, even if you do not get much training in. From what I read, the Portuguese is not very hilly for the most part. Let your fears be eased and although disappointing that your family is not coming along, you will find new friends to bond with. A smile on your face and a little kindness will go a long way!

Flight booked on the 8th of June to Oporto. I'm planning to do my first camino with the Senda Litoral, Variante Espiritual and then to Fisterra, health and blisters permitting. Now this is the plan, I feel excited as 30 years ago when reading the Lonely Planet before leaving to explore Asia. But scared at the same time because never walked seriously apart from bringing the dog for an hour relaxed hike.
Unfortunately my kind request to daughter and son to escort and prolly help me on this venture ended up with some polite "wtf you serious? we finish school on the 7th and you're asking us to leave for 15 days of trekking?" I know they're loosing something special, but that's it, alone will be since my wife "choosed" to care for the last kid (I know, I'm selfish but I'm tired to say "tomorrow").

Just started to train, still having to buy new shoes;, I fear I'm a bit late since I only have Sunday and Monday morning to actually walk for long, but on spring with day light time increase I hope to extract a couple of hours in the late afternoon to better shape my condition.

Buen camino.

You can't expect too much from children who are just finishing school - when I was that age I was exactly the same. A few years later the annual September hike with my dad was a highlight of the year. Enjoy the training and buen camino.

€83,-
We're planning to return this summer to help our young friend, Gabriel, continue his pilgrimage. Last summer we started in SJPDP and ended up in Logroño. This year it's on to Castrojeriz. If you see us, say, 'G'Day!' There'll be about ten of us pushing and pulling Gabriel in his trekking chair, so we'll be hard to miss!

After that my wife and I plan to walk the Del Salvador and Primitivo to Santiago (sadly sans botafumeiro).
shelbgabnick.jpg

I think I may have posted here before, but now everything is finalized! I will be walking the Camino Francés starting July 9. My goal is to finish August 10 since that will be my birthday and I can't imagine a better way to finish up 26 and start 27. I'm nervous and excited and anxious and I have to get all my supplies. Anyone else walking around the same time?

I think I may have posted here before, but now everything is finalized! I will be walking the Camino Francés starting July 9. My goal is to finish August 10 since that will be my birthday and I can't imagine a better way to finish up 26 and start 27. I'm nervous and excited and anxious and I have to get all my supplies. Anyone else walking around the same time?
Bit early for me - I am setting off on July 24th Buen camino!

Hi there !
I‘ll start June 9. Wishing you a great time,
Buen Camino!

Hi, everyone! I'll be walking the Camino Francés from August 27 to September 11, traveling from Madrid Airport to SJPdP on August 26. Right now, I'm planning to do SJPdP to Logroño, then take a bus from Logroño to León, one night in León, bus to Sarria, and then walk the final 100km from Sarria to Santiago. We'll see what actually happens, though. I'm pretty excited. Will anyone else be walking around the same time?

Hi! Just booked the train (I’m from the Netherlands) for april 4th. Wil start from SJPdP on the 5th. Very excited! As I have never traveled alone, and never did some serious hiking. So it will be a challenge and that’s a good thing!

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, everyone! I'll be walking the Camino Francés from August 27 to September 11, traveling from Madrid Airport to SJPdP on August 26. Right now, I'm planning to do SJPdP to Logroño, then take a bus from Logroño to León, one night in León, bus to Sarria, and then walk the final 100km from Sarria to Santiago. We'll see what actually happens, though. I'm pretty excited. Will anyone else be walking around the same time?
Hey VA, I think I will be following in your footsteps !!! Tentatively planning same as you arriving in Madrid from the US, but begin Camino walk on 18 Sept 2019! Curious, what is your travel plan to get from Madrid to SJPdP? Newbie to solo walking/traveling, so this is all a bit daunting.

If I fly into Madrid, I'm looking at Alsa bus to San Sebastian upon arrival Madrid on 15 Sept, but open to other suggestions. I built in a couple of days to acclimate so I can spend in San Sebastian or SJPdP before I begin the Camino walk on 18th.

Hola peregrinos!
I am Brian from the USA. I land in Madrid on the afternoon of April 12 and hope to be walking out of St. Jean Pied de Port on April 14. I am 64 years old and have been working fairly hard to prepare my body and gear for this adventure. It seems like I think about the Camino day and night these days and am excited to begin the journey. Looking forward to meeting new friends...buen Camino!

Good luck Brian. I will be setting out 3 days after you.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back