• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Clothing repair patches

Nezabudka

Time of past OR future Camino
СF 2018/2024
Hi all,
A silly question :)
Yesterday while training, slipped, fell on knee and ripped my trousers :(
Of course better I did it now and not when in Spain already - don’t think its my one and only fall...
What can I use for repair? Need something durable but fast drying, denim will not suit... Backpack Camino patches are too thick...
Or should I just buy new pants? Mine are from travel not hiking range, most zipp-off hiking pants felt too long and uncomfortable. Or good hiking fabric is not supposed to rip?
Thanks a lot :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Quite good, thanks, just need to figure out the best material. Was thinking of leather, but it will not look too good.... though of course hardly the look is my biggest problem...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Have you come across the ripped jeans phenomenon? Would you be able to put up with leaving the tear? You could always blanket stitch the edges to prevent fraying. Unless you match the material I doubt you will be happy with a patch.

Hi all,
A silly question :)
Yesterday while training, slipped, fell on knee and ripped my trousers :(
Of course better I did it now and not when in Spain already - don’t think its my one and only fall...
What can I use for repair? Need something durable but fast drying, denim will not suit... Backpack Camino patches are too thick...
Or should I just buy new pants? Mine are from travel not hiking range, most zipp-off hiking pants felt too long and uncomfortable. Or good hiking fabric is not supposed to rip?
Thanks a lot :)

Once these have been bonded in place with the iron, you can then reinforce with needle and thread. :)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FZ3S8Q/?tag=casaivar02-20

Thank you, Kirkie, I would like for it too look as ripped jeans, unfortunately its not :)))

Davebugg, yep, I found similar ones, had an idea to embroider a shell sign on top of it, too :)

And it seems it was a bad choice of pants... Mine are all about comfort, lightweight, quick drying and not tough at all... as plan B will keep looking for something else...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you, Kirkie, I would like for it too look as ripped jeans, unfortunately its not :)))

Davebugg, yep, I found similar ones, had an idea to embroider a shell sign on top of it, too :)

And it seems it was a bad choice of pants... Mine are all about comfort, lightweight, quick drying and not tough at all... as plan B will keep looking for something else...
Nezabudka, if you are on the hunt for something else: on the camino, and also at home, I don’t care really what they look like, I wear men’s zip offs. They have longer shorts, and are more roomy. Being vertically challenged, I do have to get the bottoms severely shortened. My first pair are still on the go, I cannot bear to throw them out.

Seriously...try using a bit of duck tape. My late father used to use it on the pants he wore to work around his house...until my mother caught him and hauled him down to the store to buy some new jeans...he was notoriously tight with a dollar.

I have cut two identical patches. I put one on the inside and another on the outside. The fabric is sandwiched in between.

It will work in a pinch...

Fortunaterly still being home, lots of options. If on the Camino, use duct tape, both inside and out. I will last for a few days and, if ok, running a stitch around the outside of the tape, cut in any shape you want, will anchor it in for the trip. And with little effort, it can be removed / replaced as needed / wanted.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I go with duct tape too. Make sure you bring some, it can be used for many repairs.

Quite good, thanks, just need to figure out the best material. Was thinking of leather, but it will not look too good.... though of course hardly the look is my biggest problem...
When I had a similar issue - tore a hole in the backside of my best hiking pants on the Tour du Mont Blanc - my wife had me cut the pocket liner of my least used pocket and use it for a patch. I did a terrible job sewing because I did not know how, but she was right. The patch gave it strength and they held up the whole trip. Since hiking pants tend to have lots of pockets, I got by.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thank you everyone. Put duct tape onto my "not to forget" list :)
At the moment I 'll try to work out a fix and see how it looks. Still have plenty of time to rip it again ;)

There is a very good, very light, super sticky repair tape called Tenacious Tape. There is a transparent version or it comes in a lot of different colours. I’ve used it to fix holes in clothing (especially down jackets). I just got home from a camino where we used it to hold together someone’s broken glasses frames.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you everyone. Put duct tape onto my "not to forget" list :)
At the moment I 'll try to work out a fix and see how it looks. Still have plenty of time to rip it again ;)
One tip - don't take a full roll of duct tape, just wrap enough around your walking poles (if you use them) or else around a ball point pen (or flashlight or something cylindrical that you plan to take). It will still stick when you peel it off to use later.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.