• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Brands of clothing (merino wool)

AR1965

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Summer 2024
Hi everyone,

I’m planning to do Camino Frances next year June and July. I’m hearing a lot about Merino wool clothing being cooling, fast-drying, odor resistant, etc. Has anyone found this to be true? What brands have worked well? I’m looking into WoolX and SmartWool, and am open to suggestions. Also, for women….tank tops or tshirts?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Also, for women….tank tops or tshirts?
As far as style goes - try out the shirts with your backpack on to see what feels most comfortable.

t about Merino wool clothing being cooling, fast-drying, odor resistant, etc. Has anyone found this to be true? What brands have worked well? I’m looking into WoolX and SmartWool,
Icebreaker is another good brand.

Welcome to the forum! You'll find lots of discussion about clothing if you click on the tag "clothing" that I've added under the title of this post. Or click here for a more refined search for threads with the clothing tag plus the word "merino."

Individual preferences override generalities, but I certainly like merino wool for some clothing. While walking, every day i wear a featherlight merino blend tank top as an undershirt. It soaks up sweat under my sun shirt, provide insulation if needed, provides modesty if I need to add/subtract other layers, and it can easily be washed and dried overnight. I have other merino top layers and base layer bottoms for cool seasons, but I prefer synthetic socks for walking.

There are several brands that seems for provide good quality. I have had one or two less favourable experiences with cheap non-name merino products.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Montbell also has some merino clothing. Here's a women's t-shirt that's on sale

Decathlon too

It truly is a good fabric for hiking clothes, for summer as well as winter.

I have merino clothes from Aldi, and they do their job and have lasted me for years now. Decathlon has quite cheap Merino, too - but some of it are blendend materials that might smell more quickly than 100% merino ones. But more stylish than the Aldi ones, and I wear them a lot even at home.

I've heard from others that they quickly got holes in their expensive brand merino clothes. So apparently that's no guarantee for quality.

My oldest Decathlon shirt is from 2017, has been used a lot (on Camino and at home) and is still fine.

I usually bring one short sleeved and one long sleeved shirt, plus a light cardigan. In summer I sometimes replace the long sleeved merino with a linen or very light quick-drying cotton one.

It's all a matter of preference, of course.

I'm a recent convert to merino wool. My favorite products are from Mons Royal and Marmot (on sale they were not terribly pricey and very superior quality). I also like the 2 T shirts I bought on Amazon - Merino Tech and Merino Protect (I cant tell much difference between these 2).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I love my merino wool tops but can't wear them in the summer heat. I find them great spring, autumn and winter and have a mix of icebreaker and cheaper brands of merino including from Lidl. At 20°C I start to find them warm, so in summer I wear some sort of wicking sporty t-shirt. Equally, others don't like the feeling of them against their skin. So this is a test the merino out before you commit!

I wear Icebreaker and they are fantastic. They're fine to wear 7-10 days without odour.
A plea to everyone who shops for merino clothes: please buy non-mulesed merino only. Mulesing is a barbaric practice where strips of skin are removed from a sheep's rear end, without anaesthetic. Let's keep our clothing cruelty-free.

My wife and I have worn merino wool clothing during our four Camino Frances. Articles include short sleeve tops, long sleeve tops, socks, fleece jackets (with and without hoodie), socks, and gloves. Even the long sleeve shirts are comfortable during warm days and dry out quickly. We generally bring four sets of clothes, so we can hike three days between each walking. A few times when we could not wash clothes, we wore clothes a second day. No problem with odor. Almost all our clothing items are Icebreaker brand. Can be expensive, but sometimes on sale at discount websites, such as SIerra Trading Post. Bob

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Be aware that merino wool - at least the name brands- come in a variety of weights for different seasons. Some of my icebreaker tees developed holes which I could not decide were from the fabric or from moths. In the olden days, wool was noted for becoming moth eaten.

Hi everyone,

I’m planning to do Camino Frances next year June and July. I’m hearing a lot about Merino wool clothing being cooling, fast-drying, odor resistant, etc. Has anyone found this to be true? What brands have worked well? I’m looking into WoolX and SmartWool, and am open to suggestions. Also, for women….tank tops or tshirts?
Hi there,
I've used several different merino tops for two different caminos and have been very happy. I start with a tank, then a short sleeve t-shirt with a long sleeve or half-zip on top. I've found this combination can take me from the upper 40s to mid 70 degrees (F). I can take off or put back on layers as the weather changes during the day. When I get to my accommodation for the night, I'm careful to hang these up and let them air out and dry. I didn't need to wash them every day and many days they would get very sweaty. I used mostly icebreaker for those two caminos but have since added Wool&, WoolX and Wolly brands as I liked their styles. My new favorites are a merino wool swing dress, joggers and sports bras. The dress can be used for walking as it is knee length. So far all have survived without pilling or snags. I think they are well worth a little extra cost. I used some dry wick polyester type tops and sports bras and they didn't make it the whole way. It seemed that the stink just wouldn't come out even after washing.

This is just my experience and everyone is unique in what makes them comfortable and works with their budget.

Buen Camino, Kelly

Hi everyone,

The simple answer is yes to all attributes in your question. Had a very comfortable trip in April/May this year with Icebreaker tops, Smartwool medium weight socks with Danish Endurance liners. Not a hint of a blister on the whole trip and no problem getting 3 to 4 days odour free from the tops.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi everyone,

My husband (4 Summer Caminos) and I (1 autumn, 4 summer, 1 late winter/early spring Caminos) wear Merino t-shirts, long sleeve shirts, socks and undies. I have worn Smartwool and Icebreaker brands happily. The Icebreaker brand is a blend, but wears well. Ten years later, I'm still wearing the t-shirts. They are finally showing stress holes and tiny runs.
My husband plays with different brands he sources on Amazon. He loves the way they feel, but they develop holes fast.
We both enjoy Smartwool. My Smartwool leggings were stressed by my knee braces where the fabric rubbed against the brace, but I'm still wearing them at home and they look great.

I am also a recent convert to merino and based on previous posts on this forum tried Icebreaker (t-shirts and underwear) and really liked them, found them to be less stinky (able to get 2-3 days wear on t-shirts without washing; similarly on underwear with disposable panty liners - was that TMI?). Dried super fast even when hung indoors, underwear dry within a couple of hours, t-shirts definitely by next morning - faster when I could hang outside in the sun.

As others have noted, be careful to read labels, not all are 100% merino (even Icebreaker) and have some synthetic yarns added which in my experience tend to retain odors (although maybe make them faster drying?).

Like others, I experienced some small holes. I didn't notice them upon opening items delivered in manufacturer's plastic bag, only after first wear - tiny little holes, maybe moths? or a snag on something? Hard to tell, but if moths that meant they were sent to me with holes. REI took them back for full refund, no questions even though worn (love REI! - slightly off topic, but found Hikegoo on their website, saved my feet from blisters, highly recommend). I recommend checking them carefully before wear - hold them up to the light to see. Other than the holes of unknown origin, the 2 shirts held up well for my 6 week walk. I did not wear merino bottoms, instead alternating between leggings and a skort, depending on weather, neither dried completely when hung in the bathroom after hand washing , better when I could hang outdoors in sun, but mostly just a damp waistband, which wasn't uncomfortable to wear, but I didn't want to pack them damp.

I was walking in spring on the Norte and Primitivo and didn't find them too warm, not sure how they would fare in summer. Icebreaker makes a very thin version, but too see through for me. I bought t-shirts in Icebreaker's Tech Lite II fabric, the super thin version is Sphere II. Mornings were chilly, fleece top and t-shirt were good for start (until mid-May when I stopped wearing the fleece and was warm enough after a half hour or so to not feel the chill), t-shirt felt fine in the hotter weather - but this was spring and north is cooler in any event.

For socks I used a variety of different brands, all with merino (there have been lots of posts on socks, so won't repeat here) - I brought at least 6-8 pairs because I wanted to change mid-day and kept the dirty ones in a small dry sack so they wouldn't stink up the rest of my clothes before I could wash them.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Yes to all the benefits of Merino wool that you outlined.y personal fave brand is Icebreaker. I’ve purchased their tshirts, base layers and socks (anatomically designed) and all performed well for 3 Caminos and many washes.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As others have noted, be careful to read labels, not all are 100% merino (even Icebreaker) and have some synthetic yarns added which in my experience tend to retain odors (although maybe make them faster drying?).
I like and prefer the merino wool-synthetic blends (e.g. 80% merino, 20% synthetic) for the very light weight base layers, such as the Icebreaker tank top I wear as an undershirt, under a long sleeved buttoned sun shirt. Without the synthetic content, the thin merino would probably be very fragile. I have not noticed any odor retention in this shirt (although I have noticed the phenomenon in another 100% synthetic shirt that I own). Even so, it is so light and washable, that a quick daily wash is very easy.

Hi everyone,

I have used Woolx and Duckworth. Both of these brands are merino wool-synthetic blends. Duckworth clothing is sourced from sheep raised in Montana, shorn in Montana ethically, and manufacturered in the United States.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This year- I had good luck with my feet (after a rough one last year). I used sock liners with Darn tough socks. (I also sized up on shoes, put on gewohl cream, wore sandals for the last couple miles daily, took socks off at lunch).
I have worn both tanks and t-shirts- you can see the sleeveless shirt I wore in my profile picture- in the end I prefer the t-shirt as it offered sun protection on my shoulders- even though I tan easily, I did burn at times and the shirt felt comfortable. I also lost weight and the armpit edge was wearing bigger and starting to rub. You can always scrunch up the sleeves on a tshirt so that is what I exclusively packed Camino #2 and was happy with my decision.

Tank vs tshirt is 100% personal preference.

A number of merino suppliers offer a warranty in their apparel (smartwool offer 2 years, and I have friends who've reported that they stand by the warranty)

I just received some items from Wooly, and I'll be putting their warranty to the test. One item has several holes after just one wearing.

It truly is a good fabric for hiking clothes, for summer as well as winter.

I have merino clothes from Aldi, and they do their job and have lasted me for years now. Decathlon has quite cheap Merino, too - but some of it are blendend materials that might smell more quickly than 100% merino ones. But more stylish than the Aldi ones, and I wear them a lot even at home.

I've heard from others that they quickly got holes in their expensive brand merino clothes. So apparently that's no guarantee for quality.

My oldest Decathlon shirt is from 2017, has been used a lot (on Camino and at home) and is still fine.

I usually bring one short sleeved and one long sleeved shirt, plus a light cardigan. In summer I sometimes replace the long sleeved merino with a linen or very light quick-drying cotton one.

It's all a matter of preference, of course.
Aldi is my favourite too. Icebreaker is too fragile for the average camino washing options.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Those who sew can consider making their own shirts or dresses. I buy 150 GSM merino wool jersey from this Etsy seller.

I love WoolX; the ones I get are 100% merino; they tend to be more expensive than some other brands but I find the texture to be very soft, and they hold up to the dryer. I have yet to develop any holes in them, although my Smartwool and Icebreaker all have little holes.

There are different kinds of merino T-shirt:
- 100% pure merino wool
- Mixed merino wool (typically with linen or cotton).
The second one are generally more resistant, both do not smell even after a day walking.

Hi everyone,

I used icebreaker, fantastic.

Every fall, Costco has merino wool, long sleeved tops under the brand name CloudVeil. They are inexpensive, but in the last few years don’t last a long time (likely being made more and more cheaply) but still last a camino. I’ve reduced some to short sleeved t-shirts on the sewing machine.

They also carry a merino blend with 1/4 zipper by Paradox.

Mixed merino wool (typically with linen or cotton
I'm not familiar with merino blended with linen or cotton - I've seen merino blended with nylon or Tencel.

Every fall, Costco has merino wool, long sleeved tops under the brand name CloudVeil
The brand that I've bought from Costco in the US is Segmente, which you can also find on eBay and Amazon.

Hi everyone,

Just finished my Camino June 25. I took 2 merino short sleeve shirts and 2 merino long sleeve shirts, and 2 pairs of merino liner socks and 2 pairs of merino medium socks. I never knew of merino wool until I heard of it on this forum. I was amazed how after a long day of walking and sweating I could still wear it the next day with no smell, even the socks. Helped cut down the laundry situation. I used the Icebreaker brand, as that was available at the outdoor store where I bought all my gear for the camino.

Hi everyone,

Probably the best I haver ever owned, but it's expensive

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi everyone,

I too was hesitant to try merino wool shirts for my Camino a month ago. I have always been used to wool=warmth. So I bought 1 Patagonia lightweight merino wool short sleeve shirt. THEN, after trying it (and loving it, despite the material being on the thin side) I bought 2 more.
Now I wear them like I would regular shirts, because they work well when it is hot.

As far as style goes - try out the shirts with your backpack on to see what feels most comfortable.

Icebreaker is another good brand.
Icebreaker used to be a good brand but since its sale a few years ago has been dumbed down, ie products don't last well. Always read the label on the inside near the hem, usually the left side. As distinct from all the other labels on a garment, it usually tells you the actual composition of the yarn. I've given up on Icebreaker despite being from NZ and living near their outlet store. Also, their sizing is petite.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Gaaaah.
So how do we find this information?
Good question @VNwalking . Brands that make a point of avoiding wool from mulesed sheep should mention this on their website - eg Icebreaker https://www.icebreaker.com/en-nz/our-story/why-choose-icebreaker-merino.html (scroll down to the large numeral 5). And - not that I'm a proud Kiwi or anything ;)- New Zealand actually banned the practice of mulesing a few years ago, so there's another reason to buy NZ brands! (but still worth checking individual company policy since many are not now manufactured here).

(Edit: I should add that NZ was the first but the practice is now also banned in many other places including Europe).

To the OP's question: I've worn Icebreaker Merino t- shirts on each Camino and have not regretted the spend (though I do live near an outlet store!) No pong! The very fine stuff does get holes eventually, but mine lasted pretty well.

Last edited:
Merino tends to develop holes from rubbing against equipment such as backpacks. Walking in the daytime, I wear a hiking shirt on top with merino underneath (then remove it when it gets warm) or in the evening when I am not carrying a pack. It is seriously good stuff though. It does all of the above.

And a slight side topic.
I have a merino beanie that keeps my head toasty in almost anything above -5°C. So thin, so light, so warm. I got it at the bike section of decathlon - it was being marketed for use under helmets, but it's in their trekking lineup.
The downside? It's easy to misplace, is all.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi everyone,

The really lightweight merino gets holes from snagging very easily. If you're buying merino get medium weight. Woolly is a decent brand.

Just to be an outlier, I'd suggest you get one of this shirts and test it a few times, walking with your pack, because they may not be amazing for everyone. Merino shirts give me skin hives and I'd hate for someone to discover the same problem while on camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
there is a company in the US who make alpaca wool clothing- Appalachian Gear. i wore one of their hoodies as a mid-layer on CF during April-june- fantastic! no smell, repels and wicks water/sweat away, perfect. designed to be worn with a pack. very soft not itchy and it doesn't need to be washed much at all. highly recommended snd great customer service. i'm not affiliated btw! https://appalachiangearcompany.com/

Hi everyone,

On the Frances I used 3 x long sleeve icebreaker shirts. Walked for 38 days. No odour, quick drying, able to layer them up if it was a cool morning. On very hot days wore them under a upf 50 craghoppers shirt with a collar to protect the back of my neck. Also used icebreaker underwear with no problems. Packed away and ready for the Portuguese route next year.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On the Frances I used 3 x long sleeve icebreaker shirts. Walked for 38 days. No odour, quick drying, able to layer them up if it was a cool morning. On very hot days wore them under a upf 50 craghoppers shirt with a collar to protect the back of my neck. Also used icebreaker underwear with no problems. Packed away and ready for the Portuguese route next year.
Which icebreaker shirt ? I see the different weights . Not sure what is best for the month of sept ? 150g/ too warm ?

Which icebreaker shirt ? I see the different weights . Not sure what is best for the month of sept ? 150g/ too warm ?
I use 150 gsm weight merino for my hiking dresses - it's about the same weight as a lightweight cotton T-shirt.

All 3 were 150. Any lighter you run a risk of quick wear and tear. Whatever you wear you will get hot. 200 will be too heavy for the season.

€60,-
Those who sew can consider making their own shirts or dresses. I buy 150 GSM merino wool jersey from this Etsy seller.
I would love a pattern for a camino dress in merino! (short sleeves and pockets:) ) Thanks for the link.

I would love a pattern for a camino dress in merino! (short sleeves and pockets:) ) Thanks for the link.
I simply used a pattern for a simple sleeveless dress that I've made many times. I altered the neckline and armholes a bit to ensure that there's plenty of coverage under my pack straps, and added side pockets.

I simply used a pattern for a simple sleeveless dress that I've made many times. I altered the neckline and armholes a bit to ensure that there's plenty of coverage under my pack straps, and added side pockets.
Thank you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Read the label carefully. It needs to be ‘pure merino wool’ and even better if it’s extra-fine. I don’t wear anything else against my skin and definitely 80% wool for socks. Yes, quick drying and non-odour. Spot on.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.