• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Clothing clothing clothing what to wear to the ball?

Stephenpalssi

Time of past OR future Camino
April 4, 2023
What do I wear?

This is a topic that surfaces frequently.

Hi fellow pilgrims,

As mentioned in my previous posts what I suggest may or might not work for you. All I hope is that I can be of help.

Clothing clothing clothing….. what should I wear to the ball? This is a tricky question especially when we do not know what to expect weatherwise.

My experience in this field comes from my past adventures in cycle and motorcycle touring. The most applicable would be my trip peddling my touring bicycle, my longest trip being from Victoria British Columbia to California.

In short, expect everything. Rain, cold, heat, wind (and I will include snow). The difficulty in trying to predict what to wear is that weather is totally unpredictable. Forecasts are a good indicator of what you will face overall, but during a long walk, you will experience microclimates. I did a 15 km walk recently and I experienced t-shirt warm all the way to hand chilling cold. (Two microclimates within 15 km)

Examples:

- cold at higher altitudes
- random and rain torrents
- sustained rain – for days!
- snow in the passes (I experienced snow in June)
- high winds
- scorching heat

Rain – You are going to get wet or… are you?

Outer shell – jacket

I absolutely hate getting wet or touring with wet clothing. My solution is a totally waterproof shell, I mean stand under a waterfall and stay dry waterproof (not water resistant or other moist resistant types). I have owned my OR (Outdoor Research) rain jacket for years and it has yet to let me down. There are several high-quality manufacturers out there that produce similar clothing. I choose a loose-fitting jacket with vents zippered waterproof, this reduces the chance of getting clammy and sweaty.

Pants

As mentioned, I hate getting wet and that goes for my feet and legs. My solution is totally waterproof (is there an echo hear?) pair of lightweight hiking pants. Again, my choice is from Outdoor Research, my pants are lightweight and comfortable, but with a twist…. I wear merino wool long underpants. In my opinion, this is the best marriage for both cold and wet.

Shoes, Hiking shoes, and soggy bags

Did I mention that I hated getting wet? Oh yes, I did. Shoes will get wet unless you wear totally waterproof shoes/boots and even then, there is a chance you will still get wet. My solution is a pair of cycling-over boots that I tuck under my waterproof pants. Mine is extra large so that they fit comfortably over my vented and breathable trail runners. You might have a tough time trying to locate waterproof over boots, I would suggest a cycle shop.

Poncho

I do not care if folks laugh at me… I know I look cool because Clint Eastwood wore one. I am bringing an extra-large lightweight waterproof (there’s that word again) poncho that is probably good for two persons walking in unison. I know that I am already dry but this is extra insurance and it will keep my backpack dry. (I store all my clothes, bedding, and pillow in a lightweight waterproof kayak bag inside my backpack, I hate wet stuff)

Balaclava and scarfs

When it gets really nasty, I mean windy and cold, I resort to a balaclava and a scarf.

Cold - climate attitude and altitude will bite you …. or will it?

As mentioned, you will experience everything weatherwise during your pilgrimage, cold is no exception. Early morning starts, mountain passes, and cold weather systems will catch you by surprise…. Or will they?

My answer to these challenges is …. The envelope please… and the overall winner is….

Merino wool!
Marino wool is the wonder child of the outdoors. Lightweight, very warm, easily washed, and will not odor for days. The key is layers. Layer up and layer down, its simple and very effective. I carry two lightweight and one heavier Marino sweater. My regular (Smart wool) jacket is a poly Marino blend. This combination saved my bacon several times during my motorcycle and cycling trips. In Alaska, I wore all three of my sweaters in combination with my Klim suit… I was toasty warm at freezing temperatures. I once gave a sweater to a borderline hypothermia hiker (probably saved her bacon as well). If gets warm just peel down and adjust to both your temperature (people feel warm/cold differently) and the ambient temperature. My base layer is also Merino wool (T-Shirts etc.)

Gloves

My youngest daughter had competed in the Camino a few years ago and I asked her what she missed clothing-wise. That one thing was a pair of warm gloves. She mentioned that there were a few instances where she could have used a pair. So…. I will be bringing a pair since I hate being cold… or was it getting wet …. No, it's both.

Socks

You may have guessed what type of socks I wear…. Yup Marino wool yet again. I have three pairs of medium-weight Darn Tough. (No layers required……)

Hat

Headgear for me consists of a lightweight waterproof brimmed (I wear glasses) and a Marino wool toque. This keeps my noggin dry or warm.

Heat

I’ll leave this to you. Stuff like water (hydration), electrolytes, and sunscreen are mainstays during the heat. Again layer up or down.

Wind

Wind, an especially cold wind has a nasty tendency to find the weak points in your clothing repertoire. If your outer shell is waterproof, then bonus! Its windproof as well. Waterproof jackets and pants will put a stop to that nasty breeze in its tracks.

I hope I covered most of what you might encounter weatherwise along our Camino pilgrimage.

I wish you all the very very best. I get a warm feeling inside if I was instrumental in helping you with your clothing decisions.

Pilgrim Pisti

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What do I wear?

Hi fellow pilgrims,

As mentioned in my previous posts what I suggest may or might not work for you. All I hope is that I can be of help.

Clothing clothing clothing….. what should I wear to the ball? This is a tricky question especially when we do not know what to expect weatherwise.

My experience in this field comes from my past adventures in cycle and motorcycle touring. The most applicable would be my trip peddling my touring bicycle, my longest trip being from Victoria British Columbia to California.

In short, expect everything. Rain, cold, heat, wind (and I will include snow). The difficulty in trying to predict what to wear is that weather is totally unpredictable. Forecasts are a good indicator of what you will face overall, but during a long walk, you will experience microclimates. I did a 15 km walk recently and I experienced t-shirt warm all the way to hand chilling cold. (Two microclimates within 15 km)

Examples:

- high winds
- scorching heat

Outer shell – jacket

I absolutely hate getting wet or touring with wet clothing. My solution is a totally waterproof shell, I mean stand under a waterfall and stay dry waterproof (not water resistant or other moist resistant types). I have owned my OR (Outdoor Research) rain jacket for years and it has yet to let me down. There are several high-quality manufacturers out there that produce similar clothing. I choose a loose-fitting jacket with vents zippered waterproof, this reduces the chance of getting clammy and sweaty.

Pants

As mentioned, I hate getting wet and that goes for my feet and legs. My solution is totally waterproof (is there an echo hear?) pair of lightweight hiking pants. Again, my choice is from Outdoor Research, my pants are lightweight and comfortable, but with a twist…. I wear merino wool long underpants. In my opinion, this is the best marriage for both cold and wet.

Did I mention that I hated getting wet? Oh yes, I did. Shoes will get wet unless you wear totally waterproof shoes/boots and even then, there is a chance you will still get wet. My solution is a pair of cycling-over boots that I tuck under my waterproof pants. Mine is extra large so that they fit comfortably over my vented and breathable trail runners. You might have a tough time trying to locate waterproof over boots, I would suggest a cycle shop.

Poncho

I do not care if folks laugh at me… I know I look cool because Clint Eastwood wore one. I am bringing an extra-large lightweight waterproof (there’s that word again) poncho that is probably good for two persons walking in unison. I know that I am already dry but this is extra insurance and it will keep my backpack dry. (I store all my clothes, bedding, and pillow in a lightweight waterproof kayak bag inside my backpack, I hate wet stuff)

Balaclava and scarfs

When it gets really nasty, I mean windy and cold, I resort to a balaclava and a scarf.

As mentioned, you will experience everything weatherwise during your pilgrimage, cold is no exception. Early morning starts, mountain passes, and cold weather systems will catch you by surprise…. Or will they?

My answer to these challenges is …. The envelope please… and the overall winner is….

Merino wool!
Marino wool is the wonder child of the outdoors. Lightweight, very warm, easily washed, and will not odor for days. The key is layers. Layer up and layer down, its simple and very effective. I carry two lightweight and one heavier Marino sweater. My regular (Smart wool) jacket is a poly Marino blend. This combination saved my bacon several times during my motorcycle and cycling trips. In Alaska, I wore all three of my sweaters in combination with my Klim suit… I was toasty warm at freezing temperatures. I once gave a sweater to a borderline hypothermia hiker (probably saved her bacon as well). If gets warm just peel down and adjust to both your temperature (people feel warm/cold differently) and the ambient temperature. My base layer is also Merino wool (T-Shirts etc.)

Gloves

My youngest daughter had competed in the Camino a few years ago and I asked her what she missed clothing-wise. That one thing was a pair of warm gloves. She mentioned that there were a few instances where she could have used a pair. So…. I will be bringing a pair since I hate being cold… or was it getting wet …. No, it's both.

Socks

You may have guessed what type of socks I wear…. Yup Marino wool yet again. I have three pairs of medium-weight Darn Tough. (No layers required……)

Hat

Headgear for me consists of a lightweight waterproof brimmed (I wear glasses) and a Marino wool toque. This keeps my noggin dry or warm.

Heat

I’ll leave this to you. Stuff like water (hydration), electrolytes, and sunscreen are mainstays during the heat. Again layer up or down.

Wind

Wind, an especially cold wind has a nasty tendency to find the weak points in your clothing repertoire. If your outer shell is waterproof, then bonus! Its windproof as well. Waterproof jackets and pants will put a stop to that nasty breeze in its tracks.

I hope I covered most of what you might encounter weatherwise along our Camino pilgrimage.

I wish you all the very very best. I get a warm feeling inside if I was instrumental in helping you with your clothing decisions.

Pilgrim Pisti
Agree with most especially MERINO ! However I would add on a WINDSHIRT ( mine is PARAMO) It does what it says on the tin AND I proof it so that it doubles up as a light cagoule for showers. Enjoyed the post immensely.
Thank you

Samarkad.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am sure a lot of people on this forum are very much looking forward to hearing how you got on when you have walked your camino.

What do I wear?

Hi fellow pilgrims,

Examples:

- high winds
- scorching heat

Outer shell – jacket

Pants

Poncho

Balaclava and scarfs

Merino wool!

Gloves

Socks

Hat

Heat

Wind

Pilgrim Pisti
Hola

Clothing depends on the season you plan to walk?
I can't see that in your post, or did I miss it?

Regardless, you will be walking ofr 4-5-6 weeks so expect everything and hope for the best.
Funny thing though is, that being exposed to the elements for a longer period has a way to show that each weather has its beauty and purpose.

That being said, my main motto is; stay dry!

You can be lost
You can be hungry
You can be thirsty
You can be cold
You can be wet
You can be tired

Never be more than two of the above at the same time.

I hope this helps.
Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Last edited:
The key is layers. Layer up and layer down, its simple and very effective
There is more to tops than merino tops, though they are very important, in my humble opinion.

My normal start is to wear:
1 x short sleeve merino top - weighs about 130 grams.
1 x cotton floppy hat - sun and drizzle protection

And carry:
1 x short sleeve merino top
1 x long sleeve merino top weighs about 180 grams
1 x wind/rain proof jacket with hood - breathability factor - 190 grams

For really wet conditions I have a rain kilt that goes on over shoes etc very easily.

And my fingers can be exceeding uncomfortable of a cool (and cold and wet) morning / day.
So, Icebreaker gloves to break the chill and waterproof mittens when needed. All up 70 grams.

When I restarted walking (2012) my first shoes were quite inflexible and I was getting toe and foot problems.

Switched to a running shoe with a flexible open weave upper. For me, these are brilliant. The heat my feet generate quickly dispose of dampness. One of my training walks has four wide streams to be waded through: usually within about 100 metres I am unable to feel any dampness and no blisters etc in the past 8 years.

Yes, layering up and down is simple and very effective.

Kia kaha, kia māia, kia mana'wa'nui (take care be strong, confident and patient)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There is more to tops than merino tops, though they are very important, in my humble opinion.

My normal start is to wear:
1 x short sleeve merino top - weighs about 130 grams.
1 x cotton floppy hat - sun and drizzle protection

And carry:
1 x short sleeve merino top
1 x long sleeve merino top weighs about 180 grams
1 x wind/rain proof jacket with hood - breathability factor - 190 grams

For really wet conditions I have a rain kilt that goes on over shoes etc very easily.

And my fingers can be exceeding uncomfortable of a cool (and cold and wet) morning / day.
So, Icebreaker gloves to break the chill and waterproof mittens when needed. All up 70 grams.

When I restarted walking (2012) my first shoes were quite inflexible and I was getting toe and foot problems.

Switched to a running shoe with a flexible open weave upper. For me, these are brilliant. The heat my feet generate quickly dispose of dampness. One of my training walks has four wide streams to be waded through: usually within about 100 metres I am unable to feel any dampness and no blisters etc in the past 8 years.

Yes, layering up and down is simple and very effective.

Kia kaha, kia māia, kia mana'wa'nui (take care be strong, confident and patient)
Source?
:)

Source?

First up: I have inserted the syllable mark ' to assist with pronunciation - that mark is not part of Te Reo.

I first encountered this from Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth, early in the covid pandemic, as monarch of Aotearoa New Zealand.

A very recent public use is from King Charles (as monarch of Aotearoa New Zealand), per this link https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300797972/kia-kaha-king-charles-message-to-new-zealand-after-fatal-floods

I am instructed, Te Reo does not always translate word for word. So you might find translations that seem to give a different emphasis.

This link might give a flavour of that https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/morningreport/audio/2018712936/day-4-of-te-wiki-o-te-reo-maori

Phrases in very common use by include:
Kia ora - literally = be healthy - current usage includes = greetings
Kia kaha - literally = be strong - current usage includes = take care (used as a farewell or acknowledgement)

@lettinggo, I hope that answers your query

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.