• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coastal vs Norte

Wandalina

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese in September '18
Primitivo in September '19
Hi Everyone im planning on starting from Porto in April. Ive done the central before dont necessarily mind doing it again but wondering what the coastal is like? I did the first three weeks of the Norte and was blown away by it so thats tempting me to do Portuguese coastal but im hesitating. Any ideas 😊

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Coastal does not have much in common with the first three weeks of the Norte. It is generally much flatter as it keeps close to the coastline. It eventually does have some climbs but nothing like the Norte.

I personally prefer the Coastal route, and always tell people that if it is not for you there is always a possibility to return to the Central route. The two are seldom very far apart.

In addition to @wisepilgrim , you cannot walk 3 weeks from Porto to Redondela where the coastal ends in an estuary unless your pace is as slow as a snail or you go two steps ahead and one beyond 😊
It is about 110 kms in Portugal and about 70 kms in Galicia along the coast.

Except for the mountain in A Guarda there is only a flat walk all the way but leaving Baiona and arriving at the bridge in Nivran , do not follow the yellow waymarkers but directly after the bridge follow green waymarkers and you stay at the coastline to Vigo and even arrive there at sealevel .
The yellow waymarkers lead you into the highest part in Vigo but you will descent in town to sealevel to follow the estuary to Redondela
You even can walk some kms on the beach as you also can do between Matosinhos and almost to Vila do Conde if you want to.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've done the Norte twice and both the Interior and Littoral/Coastal and I can confirm with the above two posts. The Portuguese routes are a piece of cake compared to the Norte. Although I prefer the Coastal to the Interior (except that you'll miss Cada Fernanda) I don't see me walking it again. The Rota Vicentina on the other hand is to be repeated but it's not a Camino although some walk it then connect to the Camino in Lisbon.

Where did you stop on the Norte? Maybe finish that Camino and/or deviate to the Primitivo. Now that's a great Camino although physically harder than the Norte due to its daily ups and downs. But if you did the first three weeks of the Norte you should be fine.

Thanks to you all for the feedback much appreciated. I guess for me it's not so much about the terrain although i am avoiding crazy climbs after a bit of a work out on the norte 😂 but whether it's beautiful or not. I got the impression its was a little lacklustre or boring with all the boardwalks. Also want to avoid anything overly industrial. Im looking for some quaint villages and some authentic Portuguese life.

Im also walking alone so wondering are there many doing the coastal generally do want to meet a few camino pals 😊

Thanks to you all

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've done the Norte twice and both the Interior and Littoral/Coastal and I can confirm with the above two posts. The Portuguese routes are a piece of cake compared to the Norte. Although I prefer the Coastal to the Interior (except that you'll miss Cada Fernanda) I don't see me walking it again. The Rota Vicentina on the other hand is to be repeated but it's not a Camino although some walk it then connect to the Camino in Lisbon.

Where did you stop on the Norte? Maybe finish that Camino and/or deviate to the Primitivo. Now that's a great Camino although physically harder than the Norte due to its daily ups and downs. But if you did the first three weeks of the Norte you should be fine.
Stopped in Llanes. But have booked to go to Porto have limited time available. Will return to the norte one day soon. Perhaps not to do second half but repeat first as i got so much rain missed alot of the views 🙈😂

Have also done the Primitivo and loved it 😊

In addition to @wisepilgrim , you cannot walk 3 weeks from Porto to Redondela where the coastal ends in an estuary unless your pace is as slow as a snail or you go two steps ahead and one beyond 😊
It is about 110 kms in Portugal and about 70 kms in Galicia along the coast.

Except for the mountain in A Guarda there is only a flat walk all the way but leaving Baiona and arriving at the bridge in Nivran , do not follow the yellow waymarkers but directly after the bridge follow green waymarkers and you stay at the coastline to Vigo and even arrive there at sealevel .
The yellow waymarkers lead you into the highest part in Vigo but you will descent in town to sealevel to follow the estuary to Redondela
You even can walk some kms on the beach as you also can do between Matosinhos and almost to Vila do Conde if you want to.
Thanks that's a nice idea I wouldn't mind a few sea swims on the way (bearing in mind safe swimming spots) and some sandy picnics 😊

The Coastal does not have much in common with the first three weeks of the Norte. It is generally much flatter as it keeps close to the coastline. It eventually does have some climbs but nothing like the Norte.

I personally prefer the Coastal route, and always tell people that if it is not for you there is always a possibility to return to the Central route. The two are seldom very far apart.
Thanks great to get your opinion. Im giving myself a chill mini camino after the Norte. Will then go back to an epic camino again in September 😂

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Also not sure where you stopped on the Norte, but you could continue on the Del Mar from Ribadeo which connects with the Ingles at Ferrol. It’s about a two week walk from Ribadeo.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back