• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Collecting Sellos in France?

Sue M

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP-Burgos(2012)Leon-Santiago(2013)Sarria- Santiago(Sept 2013),Frances (coach,2013),Le Puy-Conques(May 2014), parish pilgrimage organised for June 2015.
Does the Credential apply only from St. Jean Pied de Port, or are sellos collected as far back as Le Puy? If so, are credentials issued there too?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You can pick up a credential at the Le Puy cathedral shop, or from your national pilgrim association. It's not a requirement in France, however - except possibly in the gites municipal. Almost all lodgings will have a stamp; some churches (especially the ones dedicated to St Roch or St Jacques, or the cathedrals in larger towns); generally not restaurants unless they also have a lodging. The word for stamp in French is le tampon: Je voudrais un tampon s'il vous plaît.

The credencial sold at the Cathedral is especially beautiful but the shop does keep some strange hours-you will be raring to go out and hit the Chemin and would be sorry to spend another day in Le Puy only because the shop was closed you had not been able to purchase there your credencial-get one before leaving. The French credencial will be full well before arriving in Santiago so you will need two in any case, together they make a grand impression whenever shown. You will also own a sort of souvenir book recording when and where you were often just as nice as a picture album or Picasa also easier to enjoy.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Kitsambler said:
It's not a requirement in France, however

Untrue, even though from a certain point of view only the sellos over the final 100 KM from Sarria or thereabouts are a "requirement".

They are an absolute necessity if you're walking anywhere far away from the principal routes to be be able to justify yourself as a pilgrim (unless your finances are such that this is no big deal) ; and as the French Camino gets more and more populated they're starting to become a necessity to obtain assistance in some places where some have started to abuse the system, as they do in Spain.

---

Bottom line : There is NO reason NOT to collect sellos on the French routes. Do it. If you're worried about not enough space on your credencial, just buy 2 or 3 instead of just 1, and use some glue to stick them together to make a single, larger credencial.

all above is true - and, I found that tourist offices always had a stamp.

Incidentally - walking in France is quite wonderful!

Buen Camino

I am casual about stamps in France (five pilgrimages), and no one has asked about where I have stayed previous nights. Gîtes have required the creancial for admittance. I would say there is no requirement for the tampons. They are a great souvenir! you will get some strange looks when you ask for a stamp in bars and restaurants, and even hotels, but they usually will dig through a drawer for the mail return address stamp!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Now it's done, and I'm showered, fed and generally numbed with alcohol, it was great. Fortunately, the weather was cool all day, the rain held off and the terrain was rolling countryside. But...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
We are in Santa Marina del rey staying at a hostel costing 59 euros after redirecting from our destination which was San Martin del Camino. We found the albergues were all booked or closed after...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back