• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Certificate in Sahagún - halfway on Camino Frances, completion of Camino de Madrid

Kfb

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2023
We went to the Santuario de La Peregrino today to get half way certificate in Sahagun. We paid our entry fees and loved the beautiful museum - on exiting we needed to ask for the stamp, which was given. There was however, no certificates in sight, we returned a few hours later to request the certificate but the reception person advised we needed to give her another 3 Euro. The Tourist information centre advised that the certificate is a gift and does not require an additional payment. Apparently this reception person spoke perfect English but she didn’t let on and was rude. Disappointed by this experience on a route of extremely pleasant locals.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've visited the Sanctuario three times over the years, and --- God willing --- will visit it one last time in October.... It has always been my understanding that the so-called "Half Way Certificate" is entirely unrelated to a Sanctuario Museo visit. Paying to visit the Museo does not entitle one to a "Half Way Certificate," which has its own separate price.... It is unfortunate indeed that that was not made clear to you up front.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
OK so... (and I know there are posts on this Forum that address the issue, but for the sake of brevity and clarity with the exposure of the topic here) - how (and where) does one obtain the Certificate?
thanks

2 years ago I got mine at the library. I had tried the sanctuary but there was no one to print them out that day and was told to go to the tourist center, which said to go to the sanctuary. LOL I finally found someone who said they were issued at the library and managed to get it printed.

Buen Camino!

2 years ago I got mine at the library. I had tried the sanctuary but there was no one to print them out that day and was told to go to the tourist center, which said to go to the sanctuary. LOL I finally found someone who said they were issued at the library and managed to get it printed.

Buen Camino!
This sounds like the same situation for those of us interested in getting the Completion Certificate for the Madrid camino, which terminates in Sahagun. I have not desired the half-way certificate, but came upon information for getting a certificate of some sort for completing the Madrid in Sahagun. However, this information varies, except for general agreement that this certificate is not to be acquired in the Sanctuario de la Virgen Peregrina, like the half-way certificate. Either the library or the Tourist Office is pointed out as the proper location. Maybe I shall look in at the library, as a reasonable location for getting information in Sahagun.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Technically not a "halfway" certificate. In Spanish it recognizes that you have been to Sahagún on your way to Santiago and that the town wishes you well and hopes that you remember them.

In 2015 I remember paying for it and the museum visit separately.

However, this information varies, except for general agreement that this certificate is not to be acquired in the Sanctuario de la Virgen Peregrina,
Well, I got my Madrid certificate at the reception for Sanctuario de la Virgen Peregrina. I got mine there on the 6th July this year.

It doesn't need to be printed as it is pre-printed. They just insert the date and my name.

I didn't attend the museum.

For me, the certificate was free but I was offered a tube for €3 to keep the certificate free from wrinkles. I accepted the offer and purchased the tube which I later used for my Compostela and Distance certificate in Santiago de Compostela.

I have it on rumour that the halfway certificate is obtained elsewhere. I suspect that @Rick of Rick and Peg s advice is the one to follow for that certificate.

Well, I got my Madrid certificate at the reception for Sanctuario de la Virgen Peregrina. I got mine there on the 6th July this year.

It doesn't need to be printed as it is pre-printed. They just insert the date and my name.

I didn't attend the museum.

For me, the certificate was free but I was offered a tube for €3 to keep the certificate free from wrinkles. I accepted the offer and purchased the tube which I later used for my Compostela and Distance certificate in Santiago de Compostela.

I have it on rumour that the halfway certificate is obtained elsewhere. I suspect that @Rick of Rick and Peg s advice is the one to follow for that certificate.
I cannot say as I am surprised, as the posts on the location to get this certificate all seem to offer conflicting information. When I have walked past the Sanctuario de la Virgen Peregrina while walking various caminos, it has never been open. So what certificate might be available there if it were open is not a useful question to ask while trying to get on with my walk. If I happen to notice that it is open when I pass Sahagun this fall, I may look in. But I shall not spend a lot of time looking for it. For me, it is an interesting novelty, but in no way a necessity.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I cannot say as I am surprised, as the posts on the location to get this certificate all seem to offer conflicting information. When I have walked past the Sanctuario de la Virgen Peregrina while walking various caminos, it has never been open. So what certificate might be available there if it were open is not a useful question to ask while trying to get on with my walk. If I happen to notice that it is open when I pass Sahagun this fall, I may look in. But I shall not spend a lot of time looking for it. For me, it is an interesting novelty, but in no way a necessity.
You don't go into the church itself, there is a reception area off to the right as you walk up the path.

You don't go into the church itself, there is a reception area off to the right as you walk up the path.
I have gone to all the doors and have looked around: nothing open anywhere in the area. But then, I generally walk in the autumn to late autumn, so lots of services were into their late season closures/limited openings. I understand that there are more things open longer in the summer season. Too hot for me.

I was there in early August. Paid the 3 euros to enter the museum, and that included the certificate (given before entering museum/church). As another poster said, they are preprinted and she wrote in our names. We paid another euro (I believe) for the tube. Everyone we spoke to on the trail that day had the same experience. No problems in early August.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Buen Camino!
We got ours the same way with the same circuitous route in October of '21.

Very easy to pick one up. Exactly as is written above. Totally unnecessary though and I noticed the extra space the tube took up in my backpack for the rest of my Camino.
The museum, is really quirky and some of the books in the library are most curious. I spent an hour just looking at all the books, many of them in English, and being surprised to see so many on witchcraft and demonology.

Very easy to pick one up. Exactly as is written above. Totally unnecessary though and I noticed the extra space the tube took up in my backpack for the rest of my Camino.
The museum, is really quirky and some of the books in the library are most curious. I spent an hour just looking at all the books, many of them in English, and being surprised to see so many on witchcraft and demonology.
I actually appreciated the tube in my backpack after Sahagún to hold the certificate for completing the Camino de Madrid, and then also the Salvadorana I picked up on the way to Santiago, and the Compostela and distance certificate on the way to Finisterre and then the Fisterrana on the way to Muxía, and then all of them plus the Muxiana on the way home.

I certainly got my money's worth from the tube (if I paid for it).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is just a side note (off piste a bit), but the last few years I now mostly book ahead in private lodgings. I no longer collect compostelas, but have always enjoyed the creative stamps that are given from the albergues. Nearly all the ones I now collect have no "personality"; mainly from hotels and guest houses. Their stamps tend to be generic return address labels...oh well.

I start the Camino de Madrid the end of this week and stay half in private lodgings, and the rest in non-reservable municipal albergues, so anticipate some special sellos once again.

I also hope I can qualify for the certificate offered at Sahagun. Having broken my arm last spring at the train station on my way to the airport returning home from my last Camino, I am still in PT, so am starting from Segovia to avoid that high climb on day three with no feasible way out should I have an issue, so not sure if that will disqualify me from receiving a certificate or not.

This sounds like the same situation for those of us interested in getting the Completion Certificate for the Madrid camino, which terminates in Sahagun. I have not desired the half-way certificate, but came upon information for getting a certificate of some sort for completing the Madrid in Sahagun. However, this information varies, except for general agreement that this certificate is not to be acquired in the Sanctuario de la Virgen Peregrina, like the half-way certificate. Either the library or the Tourist Office is pointed out as the proper location. Maybe I shall look in at the library, as a reasonable location for getting information in Sahagun.
Albertagirl, I picked up my Madrid completion certificate at the Santuario de La Virgen in May. Others have reported they tried to do the same, but were unsuccessful, and had to go to the Tourist Office. Since you will pass the Santuario on your way into town, you could try there, and if they can’t help you, just walk on to the Tourist Office.

not sure if that will disqualify me from receiving a certificate or not.
What will disqualify you Chris is if you don't have the money to pay for it. As I've written before it isn't for walking halfway, it is for walking/biking into the town that considers itself the halfway point.

Buen camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What will disqualify you Chris is if you don't have the money to pay for it. As I've written before it isn't for walking halfway, it is for walking/biking into the town that considers itself the halfway point.

Buen camino.
Thanks, Rick. I never knew about the certificate in 2017 when I walked through Sahagun on my way to Santiago. Although I hope to purchase the certificate this time, apparently it is not quite as "special" as I had thought it to be, thinking it only was only available to those walking the Madrid camino.

Thanks, Rick. I never knew about the certificate in 2017 when I walked through Sahagun on my way to Santiago. Although I hope to purchase the certificate this time, apparently it is not quite as "special" as I had thought it to be, thinking it only was only available to those walking the Madrid camino.
Chris, I think you may be confusing the Camino de Madrid completion certificate and the halfway certificate. There definitely is a CdeM certificate, pictured below. Sometimes it’s available at the Santuario de La Virgen (which you will pass on your way into town), sometimes you have to go to the tourist bureau. I picked up mine at the Santuario in May — the lady at the desk took a quick look at my credential, but didn’t ask where I started. I think you will not have a problem by starting at Segovia; besides, it’s more than 100 km.

There are definitely some good sellos on the Madrid, along with a lot of official-looking ones. In Simancas I waited for the priest to finish counseling a young couple for their baby’s baptism. He took time to give me a brief tour, proudly showing me a huge old hymn book, hundreds of years old and painted on sheepskin. The stamp itself was quite old; the priest dug it out of a special cabinet. The ink pad was dried out so it took a great deal of effort to produce the sello — all of which made it a very special sello for me, even though it’s not one of the most artistic.

!IMG_1228.jpegIMG_1626.jpegIMG_1625.jpeg

Enjoy the Madrid, Chris!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thank you, Laurie, for all of the information! I will definitely seek out the Madrid completion certificate and glad to be informed that there are definitely two different types 😊

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back