• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Comfort bike

Jeaninboise

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon to Santiago
(Pamplona to Burgos)
Three of us are going to bike from Burgos to Leon and are looking to rent a “ comfort” bike. One with handlebars a bit higher, a step through frame and maybe even a softer saddle. I’ve been on several bike rental sites and all the pictures are serious very uncomfortable looking bikes. Any suggestions where I might rent a comfortable bike in Burgos?? Thanks so much.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I can only suggest you contact the rental agents in advance as I did when cycling the Danube from Passau to Vienna earlier this year.
A further improvement would be to request large wheels, mine were 29 inch, enabling a wider seat to be lowered competely and the handlebars raised to give a more upright posture.
Good luck!
Gerard.

Hi Gerard, My husband does not walk Caminos, but has an interest in biking the Danube between these two cities. Did you use a particular company to set up bike rentals and hotels, or do it yourself? (If I would have further questions later I will send you a PM.) Thanks.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I finally wound up using a company based at the Passau Railway Station, as that is where I would be arriving. Can't remember their name but initially saw them on Google Maps or maybe maps.me.
My specific requests were a real problem for them but they did their best.
Happy to answer any PM's.
Regards
Gerard

Hi Gerard, My husband does not walk Caminos, but has an interest in biking the Danube between these two cities. Did you use a particular company to set up bike rentals and hotels, or do it yourself? (If I would have further questions later I will send you a PM.) Thanks.
Hi Chris-
In August of 2016 I cycled the Danube from Passau to Vienna. I used Mercurio Bike Travel, & it was a wonderful experience. Comfy bikes, interesting itinerary with lots of local foods, lovely hotels each night, and the company owner was our tour guide. His name is Andre Volkel, & I highly recommend him! The tour groups are small- 8 to 15 riders- so local attractions are never overwhelmed when the group arrives. And it wasn't terribly expensive.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi - this initially may sound like a crazy idea! but there is a Decathlon in Burgos (all-sports store - great quality, low prices) ... you can buy a new bike for about 130 Euros, more or less the same as renting, and when you get to Leon you could go to a park and find some teenagers or homeless people and just give them away - win-win. Though if you do go for the 'buy and gift' option do get three separate receipts for the bikes to hand over to whomever receives them, so that they won't be accused of theft. (You could write on them "I have gifted this bike to ...).

Staff at Decathons are very helpful and would set up the bikes how you like them and the bikes are definitely good enough for Camino, especially as you are 'comfort' riders so will not be racing (which walking pilgrims loathe!). You can order them in advance too.

see here - https://www.decathlon.es/C-10829-bicicletas/T-654824_654827

If you use Chrome browser it will automatically translate pages into English.

Last edited:
Hi - this initially may sound like a crazy idea! but there is a Decathlon in Burgos (all-sports store - great quality, low prices) ... you can buy a new bike for about 130 Euros, more or less the same as renting, and when you get to Leon you could go to a park and find some teenagers or homeless people and just give them away - win-win. Though if you do go for the 'buy and gift' option do get three separate receipts for the bikes to hand over to whomever receives them, so that they won't be accused of theft. (You could write on them "I have gifted this bike to ...).

Staff at Decathons are very helpful and would set up the bikes how you like them and the bikes are definitely good enough for Camino, especially as you are 'comfort' riders so will not be racing (which walking pilgrims loathe!). You can order them in advance too.

I agree with this plan... in 2016 we bought bikes from sporting goods store in Le Puy ... and after about 900km sold then to a volunteer at the Pilgrim office in SJPDP for 30% of what we paid
Win -Win
We preordered and on arrival bikes where waiting, panniers and all
Buen Camino

Wow. What a great idea. Thanks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I agree with this plan... in 2016 we bought bikes from sporting goods store in Le Puy ... and after about 900km sold then to a volunteer at the Pilgrim office in SJPDP for 30% of what we paid
Win -Win
We preordered and on arrival bikes where waiting, panniers and all
Buen Camino
I walked the Le Puy route as far as Auvillar and it was almost all paths of various types. My hubby loves e-bikes. So are there doable and not dangerous roads the whole way as an option?

I walked the Le Puy route as far as Auvillar and it was almost all paths of various types. My hubby loves e-bikes. So are there doable and not dangerous roads the whole way as an option?
On the LePuy Route ..we followed the “bike guide route “
Large portions of the Route is not rideable with panniers, even E-Bikes ... thinking around Conques
(Keep in mind, as far as I know airline don’t allow the batteries for e-bikes )
E-bike is also much heavier to push 😥

Three of us are going to bike from Burgos to Leon and are looking to rent a “ comfort” bike. One with handlebars a bit higher, a step through frame and maybe even a softer saddle. I’ve been on several bike rental sites and all the pictures are serious very uncomfortable looking bikes. Any suggestions where I might rent a comfortable bike in Burgos?? Thanks so much.

Hola Jean - some of the replies appear to be "off target". OK - I have not hired a bike in Spain (I brought my own from Oz), but from the early research I did I doubt you will be able to hire the type of bike you seek. David's suggestion of going to the Decathlon store might be a better bet in being able to obtain the type of bike you seek (the step through (rather than "over the bar") & comfort seat). You do not indicate how many days you are intending to take, but 5 days would be an easy ride. The only real hill is the one west of Castrojeriz (but there are two diversions - you just need to research the local "B "or "D" roads. Cheers

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back