• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Computer access along the Frances.

ez walker

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning April (2017)
Would I be able to find access to computer usage while on the Frances route to check my Emails from home?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Public access computers in places like internet cafes have all but disappeared along the way. If you bring a smartphone or tablet you will find many places offering free wifi though.

Would I be able to find access to computer usage while on the Frances route to check my Emails from home?

There is plenty of WiFi available now along the CF in bars, albergues, etc. but few internet cafes. Usually you need to ask for the password. However there are few computers available to use for a fee. Most people either carry their own or use their smartphone to connect with the web.

Check out these earlier threads re computers on the camino.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/wifi-along-the-camino.5671/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/internet-cafes.8452/

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Had a ball when accessing computers at the Albergues on my first trip.
Slooow, until I found out most of the routers were old fax modems - 124bps !!
Anyway they charged only 1 Euro / Hr !

Had a ball when accessing computers at the Albergues on my first trip.
Slooow, until I found out most of the routers were old fax modems - 124bps !!
Anyway they charged only 1 Euro / Hr !
Yes it was a good thing computers are universal no need to read Spanish. In 2014 I Only used 1 for rent computer that had no Wifi I would bet those days are gone on the Francis. I wonder though for the Madrid or Norte

..but pleeez do not just ask for the password for the wi-fi as the first thing that comes out of your mouth when you enter a café.
I for one find it is a bit rude and desperate, - like the world is on fire..

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Most public libraries, usually found in the casa cultural, have terminals for public use. The hours of availability may vary and sometimes depends on the presence of library or municipal past. Occasionally, I found them being used for training people to do résumés or for job-search, but staff always gave me a spot to work from.

in the first world computer cafes have all but disappeared. I bought a cheap new android 6 inch tablets (49£) for the Camino. Worked a treat with wifi. A word of warning if you carry on your pack - remove your tablet from your pack before you put it in the overhead locker.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are still places with a computer and Internet access on the CF.
For sure, one in SJPdP at the shop Direction Compostelle and one in Lorca at the Albergue.
Certainly in some others places to! I'm thinking big cities, but there may still be accommodations where it's available...

full

Thomas Choi. Yes you can tether your tablet (if you take one) to your phone so long as you have data on the phone. You should be able to set it up in 'settings'. This means you will have to get a Spanish sim card (many shops such as Vodaphone) in Spain with data. If you do really want to go this way, a computer or tablet is a heavy item to carry, and unnecessary.
There are very many albergues, cafes etc that have free Wi-Fi all along the Frances so long as you make a purchase, such as a coffee. So I don't think it necessary to use your phone hot spot to connect to a computer or tablet.
Incidentally, Wi-Fi is always pronounced wee-fee in Europe.

Thomas Choi. Yes you can tether your tablet (if you take one) to your phone so long as you have data on the phone. You should be able to set it up in 'settings'. This means you will have to get a Spanish sim card (many shops such as Vodaphone) in Spain with data. If you do really want to go this way, a computer or tablet is a heavy item to carry, and unnecessary.
There are very many albergues, cafes etc that have free Wi-Fi all along the Frances so long as you make a purchase, such as a coffee. So I don't think it necessary to use your phone hot spot to connect to a computer or tablet.
Incidentally, Wi-Fi is always pronounced wee-fee in Europe.[/QUOTE
Incidentally, Wi-Fi is always pronounced wee-fee in Europe.

Hi, camino-david,
Thank you for your nice advice. But I have not yet made up my mind to carry a tablet, 1,120 grams incl. recharging cable, keyboard, blutooth mouse etc, with me or not. Considering my business, it feels panic to leave it at home. In order to compensate for the weight I am still looking for a lighter backpack and other lighter articles to bring with. Do you think I will be ok without the tablet using my smart phone only, if I need internet connection not everyday ?
Regards, Thomas Choi

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
On my three trips to Spain I used my phone, but only with the free WIFI that is available at virtually all accomodations and most cafes.
Never bothered with a phone package or new SIM card. Kept the radio portion of my phone off for the trip and just used WIFI.

Used instant messaging through face book to check in with family occasionally.

Was able to communicate to the extent I wanted to with no cost involved.

Thank you to all above for your responses. I do not have a cell phone and know just alittle about them. In the past I have purchased a prepaid Tracphone to use while traveling in the US. I have talked to Tracphone but was told their phone would not work in Spain. I am wondering if I took a Tracphone with me and downloaded Whatsapp or Viper would I be able to call back to the US as long as I had WiFi?

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.