• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Conflicted about going, plane leaves Friday?

Copado, hi. You have problems, you know your physical problems - they must be painful too .. but there is more I think. You say that you have been conflicted about going and are not even sure that you want to go.

I'm assuming that this has been going on for a while now? Those thoughts and the reasons why are much more important than your arthritis and top bunks as the 'top bunks problem' is probably just another invented reason not to go.

Now, it is totally normal, just before setting off, to have deep reservations .. can I do this, do I want to do this, will I fail, will they all be fitter than me and I will look stupid, where will I sleep, and the classic wail "why did I think that I wanted to do this" - these are quite normal ... we have two minds, the frontal chattering mind and the deep silent one, the observer. The chattering mind is always afraid and it demands certainty so when something really new comes up it starts to put up all sorts of excuses not to do it and produces fear - lots of fear .... the other mind, the silent observer - the 'real you' if you like, has no such qualms.
Just about every pilgrim I have known who has had those pre-Camino fears has had them just drop away within a couple of days and they are replaced with calm confidence, happiness - funnily enough, even if it is painful - and then, after a couple of weeks or so - well! the sense of empowerment, the calm courage, the knowledge that life is easy, that possessions get in the way, that one can do anything .. and then there are the friends, the supporting pilgrims, that one meets - and also the opportunity to help and support others.

So, Copado - I would say do not listen to those fears, or, listen to those fears as an adult listens to a child's fears .. be kind, but carry on - go on Camino. But don't do it as an endurance test, do it as a stroll westwards towards Santiago .. stop when tired, look at the view, carry a bocadillo and a drink and picnic along the way, look back from hilltops to see how far - how far! you have come ...... ok, say, after a week or so you find that it is not for you - so what? You will have had the experience - take the rest of the time to play the tourist in Spain - all is well.

Sorry to go on for so long here - but, I say again, the pre-Camino fears are completely normal - the actuality is so very different - and you may find that your arthritis improves as constant gentle exercise has been known to ease up and lubricate those joints. I knew an old Irishman once who cycled 15 miles a day on an ancient heavy bicycle. He had arthritis and I asked him why he cycled so far each day and he told me that if he didn't he found that he couldn't walk!

So, Copado, what do you have to lose? nothing - what do you have to gain? Everything!

Buen Camino Copado - Buen Camino!!!
David as usual you voice so eloquently what I try to tell some pilgrims that are worried. Tx

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Just a comment on the issue of booking a lower bunk ahead because of health issues. On my second camino, I arrived in the late afternoon at an albergue which had only one bed available and that a top bunk. As I was then in my late 60's and arthritic, the hospitalera wanted to put me in the bottom bunk, at the time occupied by a young woman in her early 20's and apparently in good health. There was a problem, however. She had reserved a bottom bunk ahead of time, citing health reasons. The hospitalera simply left the two of us together. I said very little and waited for what would follow. The young woman did not mention health issues to me, but felt that she had a right to the bottom bunk, having reserved it ahead. I listened. Eventually, she gave in to her conscience and gave me the bottom bunk. We started to talk and it turned out that we were both religiously inclined Protestants who were feeling our way to how this catholic pilgrimage could be meaningful to us. This was the deepest conversation that I had with anyone on that camino. I think that the initial problem was the beginning of our making contact at a more personal level. The girl was learning how to be a generous and sharing pilgrim and that, in communal facilities, you don't always get what you want, even if you have arranged it in advance (but you may get what you need).

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just Go Go Go my friend. My wife and I are 48 and 52. We did little serious training.....max was about 10km on a walk, so we are taking it slow. Most days we do about 12 - 15km and the other day we did just 5km to suit where we wanted to be.

BTW, doing short legs also means you get in early and spend more time in smaller Albergues. Better chance to get lower bunk.

I also suggest getting either a Spanish SIM card or a Skype account with a Spanish subscription so you can call ahead each day. Use the Buen Camino App on your smart phone to plan where you are going to stop.

Just do it YOUR Way.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back