• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.

cooking

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
Hi Chris - let's see what others think but I don't think it is worth the extra weight. Often there are pots and pans in the kitchens of albergues - but that can never be relied on! Why not cook when the kitchen is equipped and eat out when not?

Bridget and Peter

Year of past OR future Camino
Home to Reims 2007
Reims to Limoges 2008
Camino Ingles 2009
Limoges to Gernica 2009
Gernica to San Vicente de la Barquera 2010
San Vicente to La Isla 2012
La Isla to Santiago Sept/Oct 2014
I don't think I would take actual cooking pots. As Johnny says, you can cook properly where you have the pans, and do meals that need less cooking where not. I would have a mug that can stand boiling water - you could do packet flavoured couscous in that. Or powder soup - with bread and cheese that would warm and fill you up! If you have a plastic pot with lid, as well as storing the rest of the couscous, you could cook in it in a microwave - one pilgrim gite in France had only a microwave and a fruit bowl - if I remember right we cooked courgettes then stirred something it to them!

Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

gittiharre

Veteran Member
CF Austria Czech Le Puy Geneva RLS V. Jacobi V. Regia V. Baltica/Scandinavica Porto Muxia
Definetely not worth it. Lots of refugios have basic kitchens where you can prepare a meal, which are equipped with pots and plates and utensils, sometimes one ends up in a group for the night and people contribute to preparing a shared meal in large pots.
Just get down to essentials, I did not even bother with a pocket knife or a cup. Did not need it.
Regards, Gitti

crackmrmac

Veteran Member
Hi Chris,

I supose it depends on what you want to do and your goal.
Irish guys are prone to bringing cups, t-bags , porridge etc.
Leave as much as you can at home. Decide to treat yourself. It will leave something in the land you visit.

Buen Camino.

Javier Martin

Veteran Member
chris m said:
Is it a good idea to bring small camping tins to cook with if one wanted to , or is this surplus wasted weight ?

No, it's not a good idea.

But I know several friends to use to walk with.

Buen Camino, with as less weight as possible

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain

30daystosantiago

2002 solo and 2013 with wife and toddler
Hi, I would not bring cooking equipment (such as burners, etc). The preference to bring camping pan/cup if a personal one. I brought a very small aluminum bowl, knife/fork/spoon and a cup. This was very lightweight. I did not use it much because I chose to eat at cafes and restaraunts. The other posts are correct, most refugios have pots/pans...but if you plan to cook a lot, maybe you should bring a couple of very lightweight items...sometimes in the crowded refugios, you may have to wait to use the equipment...Buen Camino!