• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

cooking

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Chris - let's see what others think but I don't think it is worth the extra weight. Often there are pots and pans in the kitchens of albergues - but that can never be relied on! Why not cook when the kitchen is equipped and eat out when not?

I don't think I would take actual cooking pots. As Johnny says, you can cook properly where you have the pans, and do meals that need less cooking where not. I would have a mug that can stand boiling water - you could do packet flavoured couscous in that. Or powder soup - with bread and cheese that would warm and fill you up! If you have a plastic pot with lid, as well as storing the rest of the couscous, you could cook in it in a microwave - one pilgrim gite in France had only a microwave and a fruit bowl - if I remember right we cooked courgettes then stirred something it to them!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Definetely not worth it. Lots of refugios have basic kitchens where you can prepare a meal, which are equipped with pots and plates and utensils, sometimes one ends up in a group for the night and people contribute to preparing a shared meal in large pots.
Just get down to essentials, I did not even bother with a pocket knife or a cup. Did not need it.
Regards, Gitti

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Chris,

I supose it depends on what you want to do and your goal.
Irish guys are prone to bringing cups, t-bags , porridge etc.
Leave as much as you can at home. Decide to treat yourself. It will leave something in the land you visit.

Buen Camino.

chris m said:
Is it a good idea to bring small camping tins to cook with if one wanted to , or is this surplus wasted weight ?

No, it's not a good idea.

But I know several friends to use to walk with.

Buen Camino, with as less weight as possible

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain

Hi, I would not bring cooking equipment (such as burners, etc). The preference to bring camping pan/cup if a personal one. I brought a very small aluminum bowl, knife/fork/spoon and a cup. This was very lightweight. I did not use it much because I chose to eat at cafes and restaraunts. The other posts are correct, most refugios have pots/pans...but if you plan to cook a lot, maybe you should bring a couple of very lightweight items...sometimes in the crowded refugios, you may have to wait to use the equipment...Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.