• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Equipment kitchen xunta albergues

Luka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Next: Camino Sanabrés (May 2024)
I'll start walking the Camino Sanabrés next week and I am tweaking my equipment at the moment. I read that xunta albergues all have kitchens, but without cooking utensils. Because I am vegetarian, I would prefer to cook when possible. So I am doubting to bring a very small and lightweight camping set of 2 pans. Would that make sense? Would the stoves be working? And would I have to bring oil and salt as well?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked the Sanabrés last September and found the kitchens in the municipals A Gudiña and Ourense were brand new but never seemed to have been used, no utensils whatsoever or condiments oil etc were not apparent either, the lights in the kitchens were also not functioning until the hospitalero/a was asked, they seemed to be controlled. Some people were very annoyed that they couldn't cook food apart from the microwave. I didn't walk any further than Ourense but this year the municipal in Vigo was exactly the same. Take your pots

Maybe a small billy and a plastic bowl for microwave ovens. But if you want to self cater, you’ll need something.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I found all Xunta albergue kitchens 100% opertational in 2018 and 2019 that I used. Little to no kitchen equipment other than the beautiful new induction stove tops. Purchased a pan and a pot in a local ferretaria (hardware stores) 2x between Sarria and SdC.

A electric coil is useful. A small pot. A bowl and mug. I also take a gas stove.

A problem is finding that you might have to buy a lot more than you need, if the only shop is a supermarket, and then carrying it or wasting it.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
If you carry a tiny camping pot (~ I use a 1/2l one which is enough for me), a plastic container that can be used in the microwave (+lid), a spork and an opinel, that's enough to prepare a meal and you can take the leftovers with you in the container. For kitchens like that it is also good to carry a tiny amount of salt and cooking oil, and some instant coffee/tea bags, because there usually won't be any in the kitchen.

The small pot doubles as a cup for coffee/tea/wine. The microwaveable container can be used in case of no oven but at least microwave, and also to prepare cold food (salad). The lid works as a plate for cutting bread or fruits ect.

I've used that setup for a while now and am very happy with it. When there's not even a microwave, you can always prepare a salad and bread, cheese, olives, fruit, ect.ect.

A tiny, lightweight cooking pot can be bought at Decathlon, for example. Some models of camping pots have lids that also work as a frying pan or a plate.

Happy planning!

I walked the Sanabrés last September and found the kitchens in the municipals A Gudiña and Ourense were brand new but never seemed to have been used, no utensils whatsoever or condiments oil etc were not apparent either, the lights in the kitchens were also not functioning until the hospitalero/a was asked, they seemed to be controlled. Some people were very annoyed that they couldn't cook food apart from the microwave. I didn't walk any further than Ourense but this year the municipal in Vigo was exactly the same. Take your pots
Thanks! Do you know if the hob actually worked? Otherwise it won't be worthwhile to carry pots.

@Luka, pots only work when the hob or hotplate is wired in and powered up. A rare occurrence in those immaculate xunta kitchens. Take some Tupperware (other sealable food containers are available). At least you’ll be able to microwave veggies and rice and other stuff
So from your experience the hobs usually didn't work? And there was always a microwave? I thought my pots could double as bowls/cups, but for a microwave I would indeed need tupperware.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I found all Xunta albergue kitchens 100% opertational in 2018 and 2019 that I used. Little to no kitchen equipment other than the beautiful new induction stove tops. Purchased a pan and a pot in a local ferretaria (hardware stores) 2x between Sarria and SdC.
So now at least some of the xunta albergues have some equipment... 😊

A electric coil is useful. A small pot. A bowl and mug. I also take a gas stove.

A problem is finding that you might have to buy a lot more than you need, if the only shop is a supermarket, and then carrying it or wasting it.
Yes, I am going to bring a coil. A gas stove would be too much to carry IMO. And yes, I am quite familiar/experienced with the limitations of cooking your own food when walking. You have to be clever and like simple stuff. 😁

If you carry a tiny camping pot (~ I use a 1/2l one which is enough for me), a plastic container that can be used in the microwave (+lid), a spork and an opinel, that's enough to prepare a meal and you can take the leftovers with you in the container. For kitchens like that it is also good to carry a tiny amount of salt and cooking oil, and some instant coffee/tea bags, because there usually won't be any in the kitchen.

The small pot doubles as a cup for coffee/tea/wine. The microwaveable container can be used in case of no oven but at least microwave, and also to prepare cold food (salad). The lid works as a plate for cutting bread or fruits ect.

I've used that setup for a while now and am very happy with it. When there's not even a microwave, you can always prepare a salad and bread, cheese, olives, fruit, ect.ect.

A tiny, lightweight cooking pot can be bought at Decathlon, for example. Some models of camping pots have lids that also work as a frying pan or a plate.

Happy planning!
Thanks! That is more or less the equipment I was thinking about. Plus a coil. I now realize a plastic container is going to be useful not only for microwaves, but also to carry leftovers.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A good hack is buying disposable aluminium oven trays when there is an operational hotplate or oven available. Look out for them in supermarkets like DIA, Lupa, etc. Plastic bags in the vegetable section can steam cook any vegetables. The idea is to utilise, adapt and overcome the lack of utensils in many albergues. We always carry a lightweight larger size plastic bowl, lightweight plastic mug and good lightweight plastic hiking cutlery. I can cook a decent dinner for 2 with just a microwave and a feast with a hotplate or oven.

Little to no kitchen equipment other than the beautiful new induction stove tops.
Hi Luka, I too saw induction hobs in a recently refurbished Xunta albergue last Nov. These won't recognise pots and pans made from alu and titanium, which are the most common materials for lightweight hiking cooking kits. These hobs might be in a minority now, but it looks like the way things are going...
Last autumn our group which included an enthusiastic cooking vegan and a couple of veggies passed through Galica very nicely, doing these three things:
1 we looked for alternative albergues at the lower end of the price range, which had kitchens (maybe not so easy on the Sanabres - we found them in Triacestela, Portomarin and Palas de Rei)
2 we got creative with microwave cooking, heating microwave meals or soups to eat with big fresh salads and snacks
3 we searched the internet for places to eat out nearby (found vegan restaurants in Sarria and Santiago)
So I'd say.... expect Xunta albergues to provide nothing more than a working microwave - adjust accordingly, and work creatively with that.

@peregrino_tom Yes, I will def look for restaurants with vegetarian options in Ourense and Santiago. Number 1 is indeed not always possible on the Sanabrés and number 2 is similar to what I have done a lot. I still wanted to check my pots (I heard they should be fine if a magnet works) but that doesn't sound hopeful. Very strange decision to build new state of the art kitchens without the possibility to cook...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'll start walking the Camino Sanabrés next week and I am tweaking my equipment at the moment. I read that xunta albergues all have kitchens, but without cooking utensils. Because I am vegetarian, I would prefer to cook when possible. So I am doubting to bring a very small and lightweight camping set of 2 pans. Would that make sense? Would the stoves be working? And would I have to bring oil and salt as well?
Most stoves and refrigerators work, where I have volunteered. Covid and that albergues want pilgrims to support local eateries are the reasons most kitchens have limited equipment. Remember to have supplies some small villages might not have a store.

On my last Camino I took a microwavable bowl and mug, both with lids, and plastic knife fork and spoon, most albergues seem have a microwave, and managed alright.

€83,-
I walked the Sanabres in April/May 2023 and the best you can count on is operating refrigerators and microwaves. Any pots, plates, silverware - or a sharp knife - were a bonus.

Thanks all! I am going to change my gear to microwave suitable. Tried the magnet and my pots wouldn't work with induction.

@williamlittig Thanks for that inside information. It would be a pleasure to support local eateries if they serve a decent veggie dish.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.