• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Correos Package Vandalized

Healthful

Time of past OR future Camino
Siempre
Hello.
I completed my Camino last summer, 2016. Fearing my expensive poles from the USA would not be allowed on a Ryan Air flight from Santiago to Madrid, based on what I'd read here, I elected to send them home via Correos, the Spanish Post Office.

Eventually in the USA I received my bubble envelope from Correos, completely slashed/open ended on one side, and my $200 trekking poles missing. Fortunately, the ziplock bag inside the envelope containing my hiking gloves, knee brace, and a few others things was still there, but the expensive Carbon trekking poles were not.

I still have my Correos receipt. I've read this forum with interest and was wondering if this guy, Ivar, might know whether or not I can file some kind of claim as I could in USA for the missing poles?

The Camino was 100% amazing and life changing minus this one exception.

If anyone can assist or offer insight here I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello.

I completed my Camino last summer, 2016. Fearing my expensive poles from the USA would not be allowed on a Ryan Air flight from Santiago to Madrid, based on what I'd read here, I elected to send them home via Correos, the Spanish Post Office.

Eventually in the USA I received my bubble envelope from Correos, completely slashed/open ended on one side, and my $200 trekking poles missing. Fortunately, the ziplock bag inside the envelope containing my hiking gloves, knee brace, and a few others things was still there, but the expensive Carbon trekking poles were not.

I still have my Correos receipt. I've read this forum with interest and was wondering if this guy, Ivar, might know whether or not I can file some kind of claim as I could in USA for the missing poles?

Thanks!
Hi there,

Sorry that this happened to you.

I would try to file a claim with the carrier that delivered this to you in the USA. I guess the US post office.

I know that all mail leaving Spain gets scanned before it gets put on a plane, if they find anything "suspicious" (liquids, things with batteries,...) it will not be sent, but returned to the post office in Spain from where it was sent. But they would never open a parcel.

My experience with the Spanish post office is that they are very professional. I can't remember the last time I had a problem with them, and I send and receive hundreds of parcels every year.

Try contacting the US post office and see what they say.

Greetings from santiago,
Ivar

Hello.

Thanks!
Travel insurance. Next time, check it out. You might find that if you pay for your air fare with a credit card, you get a free travel insurance deal. I will do that next time when travelling from here in OZtraylia. Travel insurance can be pretty pricey if you pay real dollars for it.

Travel insurance can be pretty pricey if you pay real dollars for it.
There is a reason why it is expensive, I always insure with an Australian travel insurance company connected to a major Australian insurance company, they pay up on claims. I have first hand experience.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would agree Marbuck . My family and I spent an extra ten days in Paris due to the Icelandic volcano Eyjafjallajökull . The cost was huge and all covered by a reputable company with very little claims fuss .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm sorry that happened...did you insure the package (I hope)?
Ivar or other may have more info but here is the contact info for contacting, filing a complaint, or a claim

http://www.correos.es/ss/Satellite/site/pagina-contacto/sidioma=en_GB

I did not insure the package but thought maybe it had some basic amount of insurance built in, such as US Priority Mail does. I do remember they wanted an itemized list at the Correos office of the contents along with the value of said contents.

Hi there,

Sorry that this happened to you.

I would try to file a claim with the carrier that delivered this to you in the USA. I guess the US post office.

I know that all mail leaving Spain gets scanned before it gets put on a plane, if they find anything "suspicious" (liquids, things with batteries,...) it will not be sent, but returned to the post office in Spain from where it was sent. But they would never open a parcel.

My experience with the Spanish post office is that they are very professional. I can't remember the last time I had a problem with them, and I send and receive hundreds of parcels every year.

Try contacting the US post office and see what they say.

Greetings from santiago,
Ivar

Thank you. I will check with the US Postal Service but I think they will want a tracking #. Since it originated with Correos, it's a Correos issued tracking number. Wouldn't it be strange to send a US Priority Mail parcel to Spain, and then contact Correos with the US Mail tracking # for reimbursement from Correos if it originated in the U.S. with Priority Mail via US Postal?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Ivar

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
P.s. It did not go by plane but by boat as they told me I could not send a knife on an airplane, (which was also in the parcel, and surprisingly, still inside the envelope). I found that quite odd at the time. I can understand not being able to board with a knife/corkscrew combo, but what is the potential harm in sending it on a non passenger plane loaded with parcels?

For that reason, I have a suspicion that maybe customs did open the parcel and just didn't seal it back up again. The parcel was cleanly slit open all across one end and I'm surprised there was anything inside it at all.

They said the boat delivery option would take longer, (although it was still around 20 Euro!)

While it was four years ago, I mailed packages all over Spain every 10-14 days for three months with zero problems. I have however had lots of problems with the US postal service, and anything passing through customs. If you didn't insure it you may not be able to be compensated but you never know. Let's instead hope you find them.

I would start (if it were me) with the local post office...maybe your poles are there if the package was opened. And communication is face to face. And I assume your English is better than your Spanish. If they trace the package back through their system and don't find your poles then they may be able to deal with Correos for you. If not, you will be able to say you've already worked your way back to Spain when you contact them.

No help to you but for future travelers, maybe check poles rather than mail them. Us customs is not where I want my things going.
I hope you find your poles

I may be wrong but these days they put bar codes all over everything. If you take the package with you they might be able to work with that.
Good luck and I'm sorry this is such a headache for you

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's also quite possible the package was vandalized after it reached the United States!
Do we really know it was vandalised? That implies deliberate human action, and while the OP might have suggested that, I doubt it could be proven on the basis of what was described.

Do we really know it was vandalised? That implies deliberate human action, and while the OP might have suggested that, I doubt it could be proven on the basis of what was described.

No we don't. I thought about that and tried to edit the thread heading but didn't know how. Feel free!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would rephrase "vandalized" but would maintain it was deliberate human action. It's not a tear but a clean precise open from end to envelope end, so precise I was thinking customs check as likely the possibility as vandalism.

Anyway, thanks for all the empathetic responses. I've just reordered the poles.

Hello.

Thanks!
Sorry to hear what happened to you!

But 200 USD hiking poles??? Gold were they? o_O:eek::confused:
It is early morning over here in EU and I am about to embark to my bed but still can't get that number out of my head. All of my Camino gear are worth roughly about that number. Swiss army knife for 25€ included!
Ouch...

Sorry to hear what happened to you!

But 200 USD hiking poles??? Gold were they? o_O:eek::confused:
It is early morning over here in EU and I am about to embark to my bed but still can't get that number out of my head. All of my Camino gear are worth roughly about that number. Swiss army knife for 25€ included!
Ouch...

They were featherweight carbon poles with additional tips and pouch--and well worth it as they saved my knees and got me to the end! I loved them! I already ordered new ones but something you take on a journey like this has lots of sentimental value, more than worth its "weight in gold"! :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
They were featherweight carbon poles with additional tips and pouch--and well worth it as they saved my knees and got me to the end! I loved them! I already ordered new ones but something you take on a journey like this has lots of sentimental value, more than worth its "weight in gold"! :)
I can understand the sentiment of course :)
But, you know that old fashioned wooden poles cut in a nearby wood would also saved your knees? In one other post I mentioned my 10€ walking poles woth 10 years duty in Alps and several 1000's kms on Caminos. And they are still with me. Better checked-in baggage from Santiago then tackle with this kind of mess. And for that amount of money. But yes, for each his own, I agree :D
I hope you'll deal successfully with customs/post offices.

Anyway, get back on the Camino and that's it, hehe. Ultreia!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back