• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cost excluding food - is 8-15 euros correct?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, for hostels only. You might consider budgeting a little extra. I took three much-needed "hostel breaks" and stayed in hotels that offered pilgrim rates for about 25 - 30 euros. It helped me cope with physical issues. I could just rest, relax, nap, and recharge. Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This amount is good if you ONLY stay in albergues. Including food, wine & beer, your daily total would be about 25 - 30...AT A MINIMUM.

If you stay in private albergues, hostals, casa rurals, or hotels, your daily total will be higher. I kept records over my five varied caminos, over five years. My daily average, including commercial lodging and food is running at about €57. That is Euros not dollars.

Hope this helps,

I agree with the above posts. You might be a bit light on the cost. Certainly, if you're walking the entire length there are going to be nights where you just want a more comfortable bed or a bit more space to dry out. Figure food and lodging would be more in the range of 25-50.

In addition, one may also budget some fund for transferring his/her backpak, taking a bus, buying some cough drop, etc.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would say that the albergues go from 5 to 12 (a little more in Santiago area). To this you have to add the meals and washing and drying (mostly during the winter period) plus some coffees/beers/wines/tapas/etc. Total I would say 25 to 30 Euros/day. A little more expensive along the winter than along the summer due to the difficulty of washing and drying clothes by hand in most albergues during the winter.

Buen Camino & Ultreia!!

You'll find municipal albergues for as little as 6 euros. It is entirely possible to walk from one albergue to the next in your price range. I've done it on seven different routes so far. However, as others have commented, you may want to splurge occasionally. I didn't have the option and so didn't consider it. That said, sometimes we would give more at a donativo - but then our night on the community hall stage floor in Valdeperdice was completely free and balanced that out!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Don’t forget to budget for anti-inflammatories. Voltaren is my friend on the Camino. Maybe a knee bandage, an icepack as well.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Don’t forget to budget for anti-inflammatories. Voltaren is my friend on the Camino. Maybe a knee bandage, an icepack as well.
I'm purchasing all the medication and first-aid kit stuff before hand, so I don't think this will influence my day-to-day budget, unless something unexpected pops up.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'll be purchasing a "Scrubba" - to clean my clothes, so after this and laundry liquid I don't see laundry as a regular expense... I might splurge on an actual machine once during the trip, but the scrubba will be my go to
I would save my money for something else. The Scruba won’t be of much help cleaning your trousers after a long trek in the mud: a good machine wash every few days really does wonders, with good old hand washing in between.

With luck you might be able to share washing / drying machine costs with others. If you experience several days of wet weather it won't be easy to dry your washed clothing.
Medication and first aid supplies are a must. Don't forget to organise travel insurance and emergency health insurance cover.

I'll be purchasing a "Scrubba" - to clean my clothes, so after this and laundry liquid I don't see laundry as a regular expense... I might splurge on an actual machine once during the trip, but the scrubba will be my go to

For what it's worth, I wouldn't bother bringing a Scrubba. All the albergues have washing sinks that serve just as well (or better!).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Instead of a Scrubba I used a lightweight 12 liter Osprey dry bag to wash my clothes. It saved me money and weight over a Scrubba. When I went in the shower I would put my clothes in it with some soap and water and let them soak as I showered. Then I agitated it a bit before rinsing in the laundry sink. I also shared a washing machine with other pilgrims occasionally.

Instead of a Scrubba I used a lightweight 12 liter Osprey dry bag to wash my clothes. It saved me money and weight over a Scrubba.
Indeed. I looked up Scrubba, and thought "$55 for a sack?!" Twenty is more reasonable, but I have used an ordinary trash bag on occasion, or just directly in a sink.

Hi PixieAuror,

New Member, eh? Welcome.

I am not going to try to answer the question on hostel costing. Instead, I recommend seeking a channel on Youtube called, "Summit Extreme." It is owned by Efren Gonzalez.

Last year, Efren walked the Camino Frances and published 37 daily video logs of his travels. Included in these logs are some important information at his stops as well as along the way. But what will be most important for you will be his itemized list of expenditures with descriptions and costs found at the end of each day's entry. So, when the vid gets close to the end, be ready to hit,"Pause," so you can get the detail you want.

In addition, he has separated all his drone footage into seven different video stories, grouping the shots by Province. Beautiful stuff.

Hope this helps.

Hi Pixie...
Over the last two years I averaged around 20/25 euros a day.
However this will provide for very basic costs only. Albergues will cost from 5 euros to 15 euros or so. I always spent 2 or 3 euros on breakfast (coffee, croissant /toast) and a further 5 euros on supermarket supplies (bread ,cheese, yoghurt and beer (cheap stuff but 25 cents a can, 1 lt of wine in a box is around 70 cents !) Some nights I slept out which reduced the overall cost but once in a while I stayed in hostels (18 to 25 euros) or rarely a hotel - 35 euros with pilgrim discount. As has been previously pointed out, having your own room and facilities once in a while provides a real and well deserved respite from crowded albergues and 6am wake ups.
This approach spread out over the duration of the camino resulted in that daily average of 20 /25 euros a day.
If you are not prepared to rely on eating food from supermarkets you are going to have to add maybe 5 euros to my daily average as pilgrims meals at restaurants, if memory serves me rightly, go for anything between 8 and 12 euros or so.
Enjoy the planning of your camino, take advice but make your own decisions and above all enjoy your time on camino.
Buen Camino.
DON.

Don Camillo above is spot on wrt costs. That was my own experience but all alburgues, maybe too much spent in bars and a few meals out in non pilgrim restaurants.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Have a great time but please budget for the unexpected by taking extra money. I met a delightful, young German student with a tight budget who had never travelled alone before. He did not have enough money for pilgrims meals only supermarket food nor did he have a hat, sunscreen or a second bottle of water for the climb on the first day from SJPP. I did not realise this and he spent the first night in the auberge at Roncesvalles without eating. I met him the next day and he was in a bad way being sunburnt, dehydrated and without food. Happily I met him further down the track with his hat on carrying 2 supermarket bags of food. There are many supermarkets on route but not always.

I walked in August so clothes dried very quickly just hanging them on the line. I would shower and wash my clothes around 4 pm after a rest or a swim. I probably only used the washing machine 5 times in 29 days. I just hand washed with liquid soap or shampoo and soap. Many auberges had this available to use and some even had laundry detergent

For what it's worth, I wouldn't bother bringing a Scrubba. All the albergues have washing sinks that serve just as well (or better!).
Re washing/drying clothes. On the Frances April-June, I took a clothesline but never used it. Safety pins work well as a back-up when I occasionally did a bigger wash. My concern with pins was very windy weather (possibility of wearing holes in clothing). I took 8 pegs (less than 20 grams). My clothing got a basic wash in sink provided, dried in open air, finished off if necessary overnight at end of bunk.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Should have added that in let's say 30 days, I usually take a late breakfast and light bite + coffee and every morning, try to do a shop snack for lunch 50% of time, 50% cafe light lunch/snack, cook my own big meals or share at dinner and maybe eat out/albergue dinner 6-7 times. Always hand wash clothes, always drink tap water and not fizzy drinks, don't buy energy sweets/snacks for the road, I do drink beers at the end of the day and wine (but that's as cheap as chips). 20-25€ per day. Edit - most I have ever paid for an albergue was 12€, with 5,6,7,8€ most common. Primitivo and Salvador caminos had cheapest albergues.

Last edited:
With no clue on age or expectations I can offer 2 different perspectives. This past spring I walked the CF, I’m now 61 and averaged $45 per day, total. I know several students who walked at the same time, they budgeted $30 but came in closer to $25, total per day. I hope this helps. BTW, at the time I started, the € and $ were pretty close, 1.06€=$1.00, that’s changed a bit.

I would not rely so much on supermarkets, particularly in the smaller villages where you can buy little beyond tired looking vegetables!

I avoided the pilgrim menus. The ones I had were not the best quality. If you don't drink wine then they are a bit of a rip off compared to what you can make yourself.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
From all my reading I have found that excluding the food I should bargain on spending 8-15 euros on hostels and daily necessities.
Is this correct?
Not a bad estimate.......I've paid less.... €5 in one albergue.....but also 'splashed out' now and again to get my own room..BLISS !

From all my reading I have found that excluding the food I should bargain on spending 8-15 euros on hostels and daily necessities.
Is this correct?
Yes, I have been on the Camino 3 times (2014, 2015 and 2017) and this is an accurate cost for the Albergues. 8-10 Euros are for the Municipal Albergues and up to 15 Euros would buy a a bunk, etc. in a Private Albergue. Your food costs are one of 3 ways: 1) from groceries bought in a village tienda (shop) that you cook up in an Albergue kitchen IF AVAILABLE (many albergues are shutting down the kitchens for the pilgrim's use, particularly from Sarria to Santiago) and if you share (with other peregrinos) the grocery costs. That is the best way to save on food costs and it so much fun to cook up the meal together, 2) the Pilgrim's meal that is offered in many of the Albergues (10 Euros) OR 3) in a bar/restaurant in the villages (10 Euros). Your breakfast and lunch would be on top of that dinner.

I would save my money for something else. The Scruba won’t be of much help cleaning your trousers after a long trek in the mud: a good machine wash every few days really does wonders, with good old hand washing in between.
I purchased a Scruba and after trying it I left it at home. Hand washing was easier for underwear and socks and even my tank top and tee-shirt. When my whole outfit was dirty I used a washing machine for everything and shared the machine with another person. Don't buy a Scubba

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Is this correct?

As of last October/November 017, those were the prices I paid.

Is this correct?
I spent 2 eruos daily for breakfast, which included a Spanish tortilla, cafe con leche, topped off with a chocolate filled mini croissant. That was a bargain. Pilgrim dinners at many Albergues, which you can purchase even if you are not staying in that specific albergue runs about 10 euro and wine is usually served with dinner. We didn't have a pilgrims meal every night, but only once in a while. tapas and pintxos (snacks) are extremely reasonable. I'm going back in May through the end of June and am budgeting 15 euros per day and that is on the high end. I hope this helps you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Is this correct?
Hi - one more thing. Some Spanish tranlastions on food:
Pintxos are small snacks found in bars and they are usually in a case where you can see them. They remind me of bruschetta, but with different toppings. If you don't know what is on the bread, ask the bartender. One or two pintxos filled us up with a beer, wine or water.
Tapas are small appetizers that could be olives, fish, calamari, etc. and you will find these mostly in Madrid, and Barcelona area.
Bocadillos are Spanish sandwiches made with bread, jamon (ham) and Manchego cheese - delish and we split one daily on the camino. They are large and very inexpensive.
Patatas Bravas - a great filling dish that are squared potatoes with a very light spicy mayo sauce - to die for!

Is this correct?

You are going away for a week to enjoy the culture of The Camino , The culture of Spain and the fellowship of fellow pilgrims/walkers/tourists etc.
Get out of your system Pixie how much it will cost , just go and enjoy and be prepared to cover for unexpected delights ,
A simple example ;
All your fellow walkers for that day are going to a bar for pintos / wine in Pamplona ....do you go or return to the albergue ?
You are drenched with rain or exhausted by heat and right there on the path is a beautiful private albergue on a river in the forrest , do you stay and pay extra or walk on.
Go and enjoy yourself mate , the chance might never come again.

I have walked the Camino Português and I don't know how different price wise it is from the Camino Francês, but I can say that I have spent about 12€-13€ per day. 5€/6€ for the albergue (I have always stayed at the city albergue and only regretted this choice once) and the rest for food. Obviously I always bought most of my food in the supermarket (usually fruit, bread, some cold meats or empanadilla, salad and water). I always had breakfast in some coffee shop early in the morning, the first one I would find after leaving the albergue, and sometimes I bought a sandwich for lunch. I was never hungry and felt just fine.

Obviously this value will not allow you to indulge in wine, beers, full meals and so on, but if you are a simple pilgrim like me, or if you do not have special dietary needs and/or restrictions, I guess you'll be able to do a low cost camino!

Buen Camino and have fun!

Just out of curiosity does anyone else budget for 'religious expenses' such as cathedral entrance fees, candles, donations, collections, etc? I think you have to pay to visit most of the cathedrals along the CF bar for Santiago. I visited most of the open Churches along the route and thoroughly enjoyed the interaction with the locals who care for them but there was usually the expectation of a euro appearing at some point. If you're on a really tight budget I think it's something to factor in. (Also think it's super important to take time out and visit some of these places and think about your journey and the many 100,000s who have gone before).

I totally agree on the importance of visiting the churches, whether large or small, which so reflect the culture and significance of the Camino. I didn't have a separate budget for this, just considered it part of my miscellaneous expenses.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Not us , when we visit a church where ever that church is we light candles .
And when you do this you leave money in the box .
I have see people light candles and don't leave money in the box,thats not really the Christian way is it.

My honest opinion is , when people don't have money to spent for lighting candles don't do it than .

Wish you well,Peter.

Just out of curiosity does anyone else budget for 'religious expenses' such as cathedral entrance fees, candles, donations, collections, etc?
Well, cathedrals really are museums, requiring upkeep. And they are open for free for those who actually want to pray, attend service. So, if I want to go in and enjoy it as a museum, then I have no problem paying.

BTW, the audioguide for the cathedral in Leon has to be one of the best I have ever listened to, in spain or elsewhere, church or museum, you name it. 5€ well spent.

Small churches in small communities need the monies probably even more as they may not be getting grants monuments that attract tourism might be getting. So yes, a € to turn on the expensive lights and have the benefit of the attendant explain the retablo to me is expcted, normal, and welcome. Paid my € in San Vicente de la Barquera and discovered a church that moved me to tears, also enjoyed learning about the retablo in Fromista. Left a good donation for the guided tour of the tiny but historically and architecturally important chuch right on the Camino as one leaves Melide, but noone seems to care to visit.

San Antonio does cost me a pretty penny when I see him in churches, as my grandmother’s name was Antonia. Glad there are not many San Valentin statues around, or that would increase the cost of the Camino remembering my grandfather.

But the question was « do people budget », and honestly I never have, not for church visits, not for food, drinks or a bed. I have no idea what my annual Camino costs me, I just assume 1000$ in transport, then 30€ a day, and then a little extra for church visits, buying a sheet to replace my sleeping bag liner someone might steal, a taxi when I get injurred. But I also know I won’t end up in a hotel along the way, and if I have to stay in a pension, well it’s planned for ahead and prepaid.

And BTW, I don’t consider donativos a « religious expense ». First, because many donativos have nothing to do with religion, but also because my bed and food also have nothing to do with a donation, it is what I minimally have to cover not to cost a donativo. The only way a donativo would be considered a « humanitarian expense »would be what is left beyond what one costs, so that the donativo may welcome those who cannot pay to eat, rest and be part of the evening.

What is the village within the first week on The Camino where you have to put 2 euro in the slot for the lights?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
,thats not really the Christian way is it.

The Vatican books should be open Peter , as we have to here for Taxation purposes .
That is the Christian way , to pay your way in life.

I would not rely so much on supermarkets, particularly in the smaller villages where you can buy little beyond tired looking vegetables!
Well, I would not call a tiny store in a tiny village a "supermarket." I would use that term for "Simply" or "Mercadona" and so on, where the produce is just as good (or better) as in any English-speaking country. And in the tiny stores in the tiny villages, I have never found "tired-looking vegetables."

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi PixieAuror,

New Member, eh? Welcome.

I am not going to try to answer the question on hostel costing. Instead, I recommend seeking a channel on Youtube called, "Summit Extreme." It is owned by Efren Gonzalez.

Last year, Efren walked the Camino Frances and published 37 daily video logs of his travels. Included in these logs are some important information at his stops as well as along the way. But what will be most important for you will be his itemized list of expenditures with descriptions and costs found at the end of each day's entry. So, when the vid gets close to the end, be ready to hit,"Pause," so you can get the detail you want.

In addition, he has separated all his drone footage into seven different video stories, grouping the shots by Province. Beautiful stuff.

Hope this helps.
Excellent recommendation... I was an early viewer and I have watched the videos numerous times while on the treadmill :D

Is this correct?
I know you have only asked about the price of accommodation but please bear in mind that this may be the only Camino you ever do, so you really want to make sure it is a good one. A few extra Euro's in your pocket can make the difference between an ordinary Camino experience and the best time of your life. I know it did for me.

Just out of curiosity does anyone else budget for 'religious expenses' such as cathedral entrance fees, candles, donations, collections, etc? I think you have to pay to visit most of the cathedrals along the CF bar for Santiago. I visited most of the open Churches along the route and thoroughly enjoyed the interaction with the locals who care for them but there was usually the expectation of a euro appearing at some point. If you're on a really tight budget I think it's something to factor in. (Also think it's super important to take time out and visit some of these places and think about your journey and the many 100,000s who have gone before).
If a church was open we went in, it's part of the Camino. If it wasn't open we walked around it to appreciate it. Remember, if it wasn't for the churches, the Camino would not exist.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I gave a little at each church however some days there were lots of churches so it added up. I remember two Spanish women giving me a dirty look as they thought I hadn't given enough.

Hi Have done a couple of caminos over last 3 years and i would say you need to budget for a daily total of around E30. That allows for couple of beers and coffees during day, lunch from bread and cheese/ ham, bit of fruit from shop or supermarket and and an evening meal- mainly pilgrim menu but cooking in albergue now and then where there are facilities.
As stated above some days cheaper some days more, plus have a bit of spare cash in reserve for emergencies etc.

Okay , most has been said - so that is how much you need to budget for a roof overhead. As far as meals go , many pilgrims club in to share a supper. Fresh produce can be prohibitive in price , large supermacardos will sell a huge tin of beans and meat stew for only €2 and a litre of wine for €1.
I always carry an emergency dry ration meal.
Enjoy

What is the village within the first week on The Camino where you have to put 2 euro in the slot for the lights?
Would it be Navarrete? Well worth the money to flood light that part of the church behind the altar. I clearly remember putting the money in and the breath taking result. I just wish I could remember the proper name for that space in a church?:D
PS If Navarrete you walk heaps faster than me.
Edit: Still thinking about this and am reasonably sure it was 1€ not 2€. Sorry if giving misinformation.

Last edited:
Double dipping. Walked the CF in April/May with heaps of rain and mud. Washed my gear by hand the whole way. It became part of my end of walking day routine that I loved. Took my time, did it thoroughly and enjoyed doing it. That said, lucky enough to not encounter bedbugs because if I had I would have happily pumped the coins into the dryer! A contingency worth keeping in mind.

Would it be Navarrete? Well worth the money to flood light that part of the church behind the altar. I clearly remember putting the money in and the breath taking result. I just wish I could remember the proper name for that space in a church?:D
PS If Navarrete you walk heaps faster than me.
Edit: Still thinking about this and am reasonably sure it was 1€ not 2€. Sorry if giving misinformation.

Not Navarette , maybe P' la Reina or Vianna Heda
Nobody goes slower than me mate ,

50 Euros a day would be more realistic sure you could do it for less . I did 12 days last April and it was costing me around 50 Euros a day.Walking the camino is not a cheap holiday.Saying that i enjoyed every day and will go back to finish the whole route .

Typical cost . From the very cheap 10-15 Euro per night to 20_40 Euros for a more private room

Breakfast 6-8 Euro

Lunch 8 Euro

Dinner 10-15

Plus what you spend through the day Bottled water bar chocolate etc

As you can see it all adds up i am not trying to put you of thats what it cost me and i was not going over the top whit my spending

Yes, for hostels only. You might consider budgeting a little extra. I took three much-needed "hostel breaks" and stayed in hotels that offered pilgrim rates for about 25 - 30 euros. It helped me cope with physical issues. I could just rest, relax, nap, and recharge. Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I mostly paid 7-10 Euro but more in Santiago..16Euro. I chose to stay in more expensive places a couple of times and paid 30 and 38 Euros for dinner, bed and breakfast. Buen Camino

I averaged about 25-30€ per day total (bed, food, meds). Sometimes less, sometimes more but it all averaged out at the end. Mostly stayed in albergues, sometimes paid a few euro more for a single bed rather than a bunk bed.
With laundry, if the albergue had a washer it is so easy to get together with 2 others and share the 3€ cost. The clothes dry a lot faster when they come out of a washer. Otherwise, hand wash in the sinks provided. No way would I spend that kind of money on a Scrubba!

I bought a Scrubba and used it on one Camino. It is a little Ozzie company and I'd like them to succeed, but I don't really think it was worth the money - any dry bag will do basically the same thing. That is what I use now.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back