• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cost of Camino

MidwestPilgrim

I am wondering, specifically from people in the US who have walked from SJPdP to Santiago (or even Finisterre)-

How much was your total cost of everything- from equipment, airfare, travel to SJPdP, food and shelter for the whole trip. Can you give me an estimate? The way I calculate it will be around $2,000 for the whole shebang. But I'd love to hear some insight from people! Were there any unexpected costs, were things cheaper than expected? And about how much was your budget from leaving your home in the US, to arriving back home a month later?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Midwestpilgrim:

You question depends on a number of variables.

Equipment: Are you going hi-tech or low-end? $500. to $1,000. (Do not skimp on shoes!!!)

Airfare to Europe: Depends on the time of the year and how far in advance purchased? Less expensive Winter/Spring $700. to $850., Summer/Fall $950. to 1,200. These are estimates and vary depending on your Choice of European entry city.

Getting to SJPdP from entry city $150. to $300. depending on entry city.

Camino cost about $35. to $45@day. $1,150. to $1,500. (based on 33 days of walking)

Return to entry city $60. to $120.

So to sum it up $2,750. to $4,100.

This is my best estimate (Some changes in daily Camino cost based on Falcon's comments). That said, you could do it for less and you could definitely spend more.

Ultreya,
Joe

The single-digit menu has disappeared. Albergues are up in cost; I estimate by 2 Euro per day. Washing machines and dryers abound, so add 2 Euro per day for them, so I would raise my daily estimate to 35 Euro daily cost (from my previous estimate of 30). Less if you cook; more if you stay in hostales. Add some for heavy drinking, side trips, admissions, and donations.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
falcon269 said:
The single-digit menu has disappeared. Albergues are up in cost; I estimate by 2 Euro per day. Washing machines and dryers abound, so add 2 Euro per day for them, so I would raise my daily estimate to 35 Euro daily cost (from my previous estimate of 30). Less if you cook; more if you stay in hostales. Add some for heavy drinking, side trips, admissions, and donations.

was going to work on 30euro;
This most helpful, so will get more from the bank/post office this w/e

we had better do some cooking too :roll:
Thank-you falcon.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
i know this will vary for everyone. But if I can hear other people's advice on this it may give me a bit of a better idea of how much money to save and prepare for.
How much do people typically spend during the full length of the camino? Costs to include accommodations at hostels maybe a couple times in a hotel, and food? Anything else I should consider in my budget? Am I able to access money fairly easily through arm machines?

I appreciate any information on this!

Thanks!!!

It depends on which camino you want to walk.
On the camino Frances are more albergues so the costs of lodging are reasonably low.
Are you intending to walk the caminho Portuges you will find less xunta albergues (about 6€ per night for a bed per night) and more privat albergues and hostals . between 18 and 30 € per night) so the figueres can slightly differ with the 30 € Falcon 269 mentioned.buen camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There are plenty of ATMs along the way.

I would just like to touch on this a little bit. ATM's are not quite as ubiquitous as you would find them in the States or in Canada, where KSM is from. Over here, every bar, post office, grocery store, gas station, etc usually has an ATM. I don't recall seeing any ATM's in bars while I was there, at least not in the small towns. The small "mercados" didn't have them either. I'm not sure about the actual supermarkets, but if you're in a town with a supermarket, odds are there will be ATM's on the street.

So if you're running low on cash, you may want to make sure you have enough for the albergue BEFORE you spend it all on drinks at the bar and dinner, only to find out the town has no ATM and you have to sheepishly borrow money from a fellow pilgrim and pay them back the next day. Not that I speak from experience or anything. ;)

i know this will vary for everyone. But if I can hear other people's advice on this it may give me a bit of a better idea of how much money to save and prepare for.
How much do people typically spend during the full length of the camino? Costs to include accommodations at hostels maybe a couple times in a hotel, and food? Anything else I should consider in my budget? Am I able to access money fairly easily through arm machines?

Thanks!!!

KSM:

A total budget of $3000. should be plenty. That should cover everything. ATM's are available in most towns. I would recommend you do not let your funds get below 50 euro's before replenishing.

Ultreia,
Joe

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Somebody said: You're gonna need half the stuff and twice the money. They were right, so even if you can't afford to bring double what you think you need, just try to make sure you have access to as much as possible. Live frugally before you go and be prepared to do the same when you come back if necessary. And I'm not afraid to admit I speak from experience ... In six weeks I spent about £1600/$2500/2000 euros, more than some, less than others. It worked out at just under 50 euros a day. I slept in albergues, shared rooms, hotels; I ate pilgrim menus, bread and cheese lunches by the road, posh tapas; I drank the menu wine, Claras, beers, bottled water; I bought a sleeping bag, new boots, a silver necklace as a souvenir. I didn't throw money about and I didn't restrict myself. They were some of the best six weeks in my life and well worth the money!

Agree with you there @clearskies but then there are unforeseen expenses too, like in my case a sleeping bag in Burgos and new boots in Logrono - not cheap. One cash card and one credit card is a very good plan I find. Use the money you have, and if something happens and you need more, use what you don't have (within reason).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey....

Everyones estimates are pretty good.

I would also add to have a contingency budget. I had planned on staying in Albergees, but after five days I realised they weren't for me. That meant going private and my budget went from €30 a day to €50/60. That was ok (ish).....but then I got an injury and multiple taxi/train and bus rides really started to eat into my budget.
The exchange rate crashed a bit while there as well by about 4 cent which bit into my contigency.
In 2013 it went from 62 to 58 cents while I was there. Which I have to say was better than my first Camino in 2009 where it was .38cents!!!! (NZ)

I utilised my Visa.....which i was grateful to have. But it was not nice coming home to debt.

So I would say £30/40 a day..... (if doing alburgees/occasional hotel) and have a cushion or access to £500-1000.
But generally I found my day to day living costs where cheaper than back home.
Chocolate was my essential item as its a complete travel food ☺. And the chocolate is Spain is gooooooood!
Great! Thanks for the info!

I found some info back in my written notes:
On the Portugese caminho in May and June2013 from Lisbon.
Figueres are an average

Hostal room (Portugal and Galicia) 18€
Albergue in Portugal 15€. In Galicia Xunta albergue 6€
Breakfast in Portugal 2,50 € In Galicia 5 €
A coffee in a bar. In Portugal between 0,65 € to 2€
In Galicia about 1,5 to 2 €
Diner, served in the afternoon called menu del dia -an traditional 3 course diner-10 €. Usual in Spain and Portugal during weekdays ! Former dictator Generalissimo Franco ordered out that every worker had the right to have this diner for a cheap price .this rule still exists and costs now 10 €. In Portugal they adopted this rule and you'll find the menu do dia slightly cheaper. About 8 till 9 €.
Some bread and cheese or ham,chorizo etc. So called bocadillo in Spain. About 2€. In Portugal it iscalled a "sande" priced about the same as in Spain.
The most expensive room we found was in a casa rural in Teo just before Santiago. With jacuzzi, swimmingpool, very cosy atmosphere 45€ for my wife and I The lady owner prepared us a great lunch, a diner and breakfast and I remember we paid 60€ for all for us together.
At night we had a beer in a local bar 5 € for us two. Great time

ATM's we found in the towns and major villages in Portugal .
On the Portugese caminho in Spain you walk from town to town and sometimes a village in between.
Finding an ATM never was an issue

Can't wait to go back to walk from Portugal again within 5 months from now

Bom caminho

Last edited:
Last year on my Camino Combo (Madrid & CF & Invierno & Muxia/Fisterra - 50 days) the average per day was 35,20€. That includes all transportation expenses (not the air fare though), buying new swiss army knife & spanish SIM card, food & drinks, acommodation, tabaccos etc. I have eaten in restaurants maybe 5-6 times, otherwise I cooked for myself or just having picnic meals. Large amount of that money went for beer but usually I got some tapa too to feed myself during the day. I've slept mainly in albergues or acogidas but had to stay in private rooms 7 times and average per day for acommodation ended at 8,50€.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Am I able to access money fairly easily through arm machines?

Thanks!!!

there are ATM machines (or at least one) ini all the major villages (think typical beginning and end of stages in your guidebook). and yes, i would carry at least 50 euros on me at all times as many places and services will typically not accept plastic (eg. taxis in case of emergencies, local buses, bars if the amount is under X euros, restaurants same deal, little shops if under X euros...). in any case, it is difficult to walk a day without walking by an ATM open and operating 24/7. banks also tend to be close to the centre of town, where the main plaza is, most of the shops and bars, and the church!

Hi KSM Greetings from Jerusalem

The Camino has become more aware of credit cards, ATMs are much more common today, and the food store chains, restaurants in larger settlements, pharmacies all will accept them. A word of caution, check with your bank concerning the fees charged every time you slide that bit of plastic into the wall or through a store's reader. You may find a rather unpleasant surprise on the first bank statement. Take a good sum, 200-300 Euro and divide it into two different places-a credit card with each, placing into a wallet and a pouch for example. Not worried about thievery but they are easy to forget or misplace or loose so you should have a backup. I am not a souvenir person however, I am a bit of a packrat for things to remind me later. One of my favorites, after a particularly pleasant repast with fellow pilgrims, I will purchase a menu from the restaurant owner and have everyone sign and mark what they ate. Santiago has a plethora of souvenir shops with prices ranging from some few Euro to hundreds. You have been warned! I also purchase special gifts for my friends, my favorite Israeli authors Amos Oz, Meir Shelev, David Grossman, A. B. Joshua, Hayim Be'er are all in translation to Spanish so I often purchase their books in any of the myriad bookstores one runs across and mail them to my friends in South America or here at home. All this adds up so Baden-Powel was correct, "Be Prepared"!

I found some info back in my written notes:
On the Portugese caminho in May and June2013 from Lisbon.
Figueres are an average

Hostal room (Portugal and Galicia) 18€
Albergue in Portugal 15€. In Galicia Xunta albergue 6€
Breakfast in Portugal 2,50 € In Galicia 5 €
A coffee in a bar. In Portugal between 0,65 € to 2€
In Galicia about 1,5 to 2 €
Diner, served in the afternoon called menu del dia -an traditional 3 course diner-10 €. Usual in Spain and Portugal during weekdays ! Former dictator Generalissimo Franco ordered out that every worker had the right to have this diner for a cheap price .this rule still exists and costs now 10 €. In Portugal they adopted this rule and you'll find the menu do dia slightly cheaper. About 8 till 9 €.
Some bread and cheese or ham,chorizo etc. So called bocadillo in Spain. About 2€. In Portugal it iscalled a "sande" priced about the same as in Spain.
The most expensive room we found was in a casa rural in Teo just before Santiago. With jacuzzi, swimmingpool, very cosy atmosphere 45€ for my wife and I The lady owner prepared us a great lunch, a diner and breakfast and I remember we paid 60€ for all for us together.
At night we had a beer in a local bar 5 € for us two. Great time

ATM's we found in the towns and major villages in Portugal .
On the Portugese caminho in Spain you walk from town to town and sometimes a village in between.
Finding an ATM never was an issue

Can't wait to go back to walk from Portugal again within 5 months from now

Bom caminho
Thank you so much for the information!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi KSM Greetings from Jerusalem

The Camino has become more aware of credit cards, ATMs are much more common today, and the food store chains, restaurants in larger settlements, pharmacies all will accept them. A word of caution, check with your bank concerning the fees charged every time you slide that bit of plastic into the wall or through a store's reader. You may find a rather unpleasant surprise on the first bank statement. Take a good sum, 200-300 Euro and divide it into two different places-a credit card with each, placing into a wallet and a pouch for example. Not worried about thievery but they are easy to forget or misplace or loose so you should have a backup. I am not a souvenir person however, I am a bit of a packrat for things to remind me later. One of my favorites, after a particularly pleasant repast with fellow pilgrims, I will purchase a menu from the restaurant owner and have everyone sign and mark what they ate. Santiago has a plethora of souvenir shops with prices ranging from some few Euro to hundreds. You have been warned! I also purchase special gifts for my friends, my favorite Israeli authors Amos Oz, Meir Shelev, David Grossman, A. B. Joshua, Hayim Be'er are all in translation to Spanish so I often purchase their books in any of the myriad bookstores one runs across and mail them to my friends in South America or here at home. All this adds up so Baden-Powel was correct, "Be Prepared"!
Great! Thanks!

Last year on my Camino Combo (Madrid & CF & Invierno & Muxia/Fisterra - 50 days) the average per day was 35,20€. That includes all transportation expenses (not the air fare though), buying new swiss army knife & spanish SIM card, food & drinks, acommodation, tabaccos etc. I have eaten in restaurants maybe 5-6 times, otherwise I cooked for myself or just having picnic meals. Large amount of that money went for beer but usually I got some tapa too to feed myself during the day. I've slept mainly in albergues or acogidas but had to stay in private rooms 7 times and average per day for acommodation ended at 8,50€.
Thanks!

Do not bother with American Express cards as very few merchants accept them. Visa is better, but also rural Spain and Portugal does not really use these cards in the same way as the US or SA does.

Do NOT forget to notify your bank, or whoever administers your credit or debit / ATM cards that you will be traveling in (country) from (date) to (date). Otherwise your cards might be blocked at ATM - Cash dispensers and at stores. That will definitely put a crimp in your plans. Also, in this regard, MAKE SURE that your ATM / cash / debit card uses a FOUR digit PIN.

On my two Caminos, I ended up staying mostly in hostals or hotels as a personal choice to avoid getting ill. My overall budget in both years worked out to between 45 - 50 Euros daily on average. But that also included buying extra gear along the way, costing nearly 200 Euros in both years. Sometimes the gear was for me. Sometimes it was for another pilgrim in need. Regardless, money and me find many ways to part...;)

You can do it on an average 40 Euros daily. But I would hesitate to try and do it on less if you plan to have any extra for occasional "splurges."

On a daily basis, I tried to have about 200 - 300 Euros on me. If the amount started to drop below 100 Euros, I started looking for a cash machine. I never had a problem finding one within a day or two. If I took 200 Euros from at the machine, it generally lasted about 4 days. Also, most towns and all cities have at least one cash machine. However, not all villages have a bank or an ATM / cash dispenser. Most guidebooks will indicate where there are machines.

I hope this helps.

Do not bother with American Express cards as very few merchants accept them. Visa is better, but also rural Spain and Portugal does not really use these cards in the same way as the US or SA does.
Never used a creditcard during our caminos. Allways cash.
" Metalico or efectivo " is cash money called in Spanish.
¿ Podemos pagar con metalico or ¿ podemos pagar con efectivo ? Can we pay with cash ?

Last edited:
Hi,
It's 4 years since my last Camino but I agree with the estimates given. You could manage on 30E a day, but I would recommend closer to 40E - I also met a young couple who were budgeted on 20E a day each and still seemed to manage! (shopped in supermarkets and cooked themselves every night, stayed in the cheapest albergues). I treated myself to about 4/5 nights in hotels (usually to rest/recover in each of the 4 cities and have a bath!), I occasionally treated myself to some decent wine, some great food, yummy pastries and tapas along the way and a few souvenirs in the way of jewellery and clothing (replaced a few items to give myself a lift and have a souvenir of my journey at the same time). I did stay in albergues the majority of the time which is the biggest way you'll keep your budget down (and by far the most sociable option).
I agree though whatever daily budget you give yourself have a contingency for replacing large items like boots etc.
Enjoy and buen Camino! :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Great advice already given, so let me just add:

Take at least 2 bank cards with you, if one doesn't work.
Avoid taking money out on Friday / Saturdays, if your card gets 'eaten' you are stuck in that place over the weekend, waiting to get it back.
You can get, very frugally, by with a budget of 20 Euro/ day or less, 30 Euro is comfortable, over 40 Euro nearly equals luxury, in Camino terms.

Buen Camino, SY

Thanks!!!
I live in Spain (15 years) so a few "local" observations

1) We like cash in Spain. ATMs are nowhere near as popular as Scandinavia or USA. As has been mentioned, many shops, bars, restaurants will not WANT plastic below x euros. "Cash is King". In an emergency, they MAY accept it but ask for x euros to cover their costs. Your choice whether to accept!

2) Tell your home bank(s) that you will be in Spain between day x and day y. You do NOT want to lose the will to live TRYING to get to international customer services numbers. If possible use 2 or 3 separate cards with 2 or 3 different banks. Try them both as soon as you can even if it is only for 10 euros.

3) ANYBODY (with a passport) can get a Spanish debit ("charge") card. Only costs a few euros and you will have local support, it is universally acceptable etc. You simply top up the card with cash in (say) La Caixa. DISA (petrol/gas/supermarket) offer a popular one.

4) Our credit card numbers are with 4 digit PINS.

5) Do NOT expect a Spanish local bank to be over-helpful. They are not umbilically joined to their international "cousins" Banco de Barclays will NOT help with Barclays Bank PLC accounts

6) Where possible withdraw money during normal bank opening hours Monday to Friday from a bank itself. Any problems can be resolved on the spot. Having a card swallowed out of hours at a supermarket etc could leave you three days in the middle of nowhere.

7) Amex/Diners ..... forget. Waste of space in Spain

8) I would also add. Get your mobile/cell phone unblocked before you leave for Spain. Local SIMS are available from most supermarkets etc Popular and low cost are Lebara, Lycos, Orange, Euskatel. All offer English language customer services. Call charges to landlines are minimal even internationally. An hour to the USA/Europe for less than a couple of euros. Often (almost) free SMS too. Remember Spain has a different plug/adaptor. An alternative is to buy a basic new PAYG phone. Bic has a universally available handset at just 19 euros. Probably as cheap as a new plug/unblocking your international phone. Prepare to be disappointed with wifi/ADSL/speeds and coverage. [HASHTAG]#ThisIsSpain[/HASHTAG]

9) Enjoy ...... everything else is meaningless.

I live in Spain (15 years) so a few "local" observations
8) Bic has a universally available handset at just 19 euros. Probably as cheap as a new plug/unblocking your international phone.

ThisIsSpain, it was my understanding that after the Atocha bombings Bic phone were forbidden, just like any other disposable phone. Have things changed? And where does one get these these days? Thank you.

NEVER heard that rumour....ever! Any internet cafe, most mobile phone shops, most supermarkets etc Standard price 19 euros for the Bic phone
(Big sticker on packaging)
Other phones available including Smartphones (with wifi) from 45 euros. Usually even have 5/10/12 euros worth of credit on them and a voucher for more free credit if you fill in a questionnaire
BiCPhone.jpg

NEVER heard that rumour....ever!
Interesting, it was a fellow Camino walker, from Madrid, who told me this, and a couple years ago, when I tried to find info on these online I couldn't.

If they are available at random like this, by far, this is the way to go!

ThisIsSpain, it was my understanding that after the Atocha bombings Bic phone were forbidden, just like any other disposable phone. Have things changed? And where does one get these these days? Thank you.

I was required to show my passport to buy a SIM card from Crystal Media inside Barajas Airport, I saw the Bic phones for sale inside the store and at a gas station in Pamplona, I'm sure they'll ask to see your passport if you do buy one now.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I spent 50 Euro a day not including any hotel stay. Incidentals come up. I. Think it would be unwise to expect to pay less. I did not live like a Queen on this amount, I am a light eater and do not drink.

I think I averaged about 30 euro a day as well.
Some days I spent the night in a municipal albergue and others I stayed in private ones. Municipals anywhere from 5-8 euros I suppose and private average around 10-12 I think.
Like stated before, you don't have to eat in restaurants or cafes. That is where the majority of your expenses will incur. Lots of grocery stores and shops that sell food way cheaper, but if you got the disposable cash by all means splurge.
All up to your tastes and budget.

When I walked about half of the Camino (St. Jean to Carrión de los Condes) in two weeks, I spent total of 500e on the road: food, albergues and a pair of walking sticks. That makes it about 30e a day. Most of the nights I slept in private albergues that cost 10e a night and I also ate the pilgrim menu guite often, so it was quite luxurious to me. I assume if I had walked all the way (1 month) to Santiago, I would easily have got along with 1000 euros. The walking itself is pretty cheap: most of the way there are no hotels or fancy restaurants around, so there aren't that many things to spend your money on.

I'm planning to walk the entire Camino in 2016 with a budget of 2000e (accomodation, food, all the plane/bus tickets I need to get to Spain and back home). That should also cover the cost of a new backpack and hiking shoes. I don't mind cooking my own meals and sleeping in municipal albergues, so I guess I'll be okay. :)

Buen camino!

In 2011 I cycled to Santiago. During the last 11 days of my Camino I was in Spain. I spent an average of €26.60 per night (4 nights in albergues, 4 nights in hostales/pensiones, and 3 nights in hoteles (2 of these nights in a very nice hotel in Santiago, which put up the average price). The Spanish eat lunch late, so I could usually have a nice big lunch just after my arrival; including the tip the cost averaged about €11.50. In the evenings I normally ate something light, and bought something small for "breakfast" the following morning; together, this came to about €8.50. Including drinks and snacks for the time on the road, the cafe con leche (and sometimes a tortilla) on the way, plus miscellaneous items such as paper tissues, paracetamol, post-cards etc., I spent about €54 per day. My bike didn't need any repairs, and I didn't have to replace any of my equipment. That would of course have changed things. I spent money in pretty much the same way during my cycling Camino as I had done during my walk in 2002 (things were cheaper then).

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks!!!

With airfare from Montana USA April/May 2014 40 days $4500 USD, Yet it took me 35 days from SJPDP to Finestaire, If you eat your own food (I didn't except 2 lunches) it will be less. I stayed 1 night in a hostel (on the Camino) & 6 nights Motel at the end of my journey in Madrid. All other nights were in Albergies 5-12 euros.

Great thanks for the insight!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In 2011 I cycled to Santiago. During the last 11 days of my Camino I was in Spain. I spent an average of €26.60 per night (4 nights in albergues, 4 nights in hostales/pensiones, and 3 nights in hoteles (2 of these nights in a very nice hotel in Santiago, which put up the average price). The Spanish eat lunch late, so I could usually have a nice big lunch just after my arrival; including the tip the cost averaged about €11.50. In the evenings I normally ate something light, and bought something small for "breakfast" the following morning; together, this came to about €8.50. Including drinks and snacks for the time on the road, the cafe con leche (and sometimes a tortilla) on the way, plus miscellaneous items such as paper tissues, paracetamol, post-cards etc., I spent about €54 per day. My bike didn't need any repairs, and I didn't have to replace any of my equipment. That would of course have changed things. I spent money in pretty much the same way during my cycling Camino as I had done during my walk in 2002 (things were cheaper then).
Great! Thank you for your info! I appreciate all the advice everybody has!

When I walked about half of the Camino (St. Jean to Carrión de los Condes) in two weeks, I spent total of 500e on the road: food, albergues and a pair of walking sticks. That makes it about 30e a day. Most of the nights I slept in private albergues that cost 10e a night and I also ate the pilgrim menu guite often, so it was quite luxurious to me. I assume if I had walked all the way (1 month) to Santiago, I would easily have got along with 1000 euros. The walking itself is pretty cheap: most of the way there are no hotels or fancy restaurants around, so there aren't that many things to spend your money on.

I'm planning to walk the entire Camino in 2016 with a budget of 2000e (accomodation, food, all the plane/bus tickets I need to get to Spain and back home). That should also cover the cost of a new backpack and hiking shoes. I don't mind cooking my own meals and sleeping in municipal albergues, so I guess I'll be okay. :)

Buen camino!
Thanks! It's great to hear everyone's experiences!

Be careful of the ATM's with the reverse pattern (like a calculator) keypad, I almost got my card sucked into the machine.
Spain is very much a cash society, even though the some of the bigger stores take credit cards, you get the "look" if you pay with credit card, totally the opposite in the US/Canada, people groan when someone pays cash and slows the check out process.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Whatever it cost you, it's worth it. I could not imagine a better holiday. We enjoyed it so much we are going back to do the Le Puy route this year.

I did not include the
I realized I should break this down a bit further. Without my air fare the
sorry my I pad keeps getting stuck, without airfare it was 2230Euros for 42 days I flew to Paris took the bus from dagaule to Orly then a flight to Barritz & a shuttle to SJPDP. Now that I have spent time in Paris & Madrid on previous trips I would recommend catching a flight from Santiago to Paris or even London for your return trip. I just find Paris a fantastic city. In any case the sheer mass of people in any of the cities will seem a bit overwhelming after your walk. I wish you well as each person walking has a unique experience. My only true advice is to listen to your body. As those with serious medical issues walk it & the young seem to struggle with injury. May you find peace, yet expect to learn & the desire to return. Good luck my neighbor. I apologize for my poor spellings!
Keith

All these comments, along with the fact that I'll be starting again in less than four months, made me dig out my journal in hopes of uncovering what it cost me last time. (Sept/Oct. 2012) From arriving in Paris (sept.4) and taking the train to Bayonne to arriving in Carrion de los Condes on Sept.23, total expenses, minus airfare, was 623.00 euros. Works out to about 33 euro a day. Don't know why I quit tracking expenses after that. Must have been having too good of a time. ;)No matter how you approach it, the Camino is dollar for dollar a pretty inexpensive way to have an experience you'll never forget. But most of all, spend according to what works for YOU. No one wants to come home to a pile of credit card bills that makes you regret the trip. You also don't want to come home with the feelings of 'I wish I had'. Cut back on some things, splurge on others and find the balance that suits you.

Last edited:
I did not include the

I realized I should break this down a bit further. Without my air fare the

sorry my I pad keeps getting stuck, without airfare it was 2230Euros for 42 days I flew to Paris took the bus from dagaule to Orly then a flight to Barritz & a shuttle to SJPDP. Now that I have spent time in Paris & Madrid on previous trips I would recommend catching a flight from Santiago to Paris or even London for your return trip. I just find Paris a fantastic city. In any case the sheer mass of people in any of the cities will seem a bit overwhelming after your walk. I wish you well as each person walking has a unique experience. My only true advice is to listen to your body. As those with serious medical issues walk it & the young seem to struggle with injury. May you find peace, yet expect to learn & the desire to return. Good luck my neighbor. I apologize for my poor spellings!
Keith
Thanks!

All these comments, along with the fact that I'll be starting again in less than four months, made me dig out my journal in hopes of uncovering what it cost me last time. (Sept/Oct. 2014) From arriving in Paris (sept.4) and taking the train to Bayonne to arriving in Carrion de los Condes on Sept.23, total expenses, minus airfare, was 623.00 euros. Works out to about 33 euro a day. Don't know why I quit tracking expenses after that. Must have been having too good of a time. ;)No matter how you approach it, the Camino is dollar for dollar a pretty inexpensive way to have an experience you'll never forget. But most of all, spend according to what works for YOU. No one wants to come home to a pile of credit card bills that makes you regret the trip. You also don't want to come home with the feelings of 'I wish I had'. Cut back on some things, splurge on others and find the balance that suits you.
Keep in mind that we have the € here in €urope no $. Due to the recent € to $ exchange it will be cheaper for you to be in €urope by now.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
To lower the cost of a 30 day Camino I am considering sleeping under the stars ( 5euro tarp, 5euro mat, 15 euro sleeping bag, decent quality bought on-sale) . Not every nite, maybe 10 out of the 30 days. here is a pdf I downloaded the other day you might find helpful.

Attachments

• Albergues_Camino_Francés_Nov_2014_3.pdf
    749.2 KB · Views: 43
I have 30Euros per day as budget. Works out fine. I stay almost only in albergues, I enjoy a cold beer (or two) during daytime walk, but I like to prepare supper for myself (and others, makes it more fun/social/new friends) in the afternoon- And yes, with Spanish red wine. 30 is very doable. And then some emergency reserve in the bank.

And ThisIsSpain is correct in absolutely every aspect: Cash is King in Spain. I carry my Visa and Eurocard (emergency only), and carry enough cash to last for a week down to 2 days. Then I refill up to ca. 3-400, and as ThisIsSpain says, at an ATM at a bank in the opening hours.

I suspect that the heavy focus on cash is due to the no-need for receipts, but also maybe due to costs of card readers/infrastructure: I have experienced the same in Spain and Italy: Non-traceable money is good for avoiding taxes.. I don't mind at all.

PS: Sleep in albergues rather than under the stars: You will meet many new friends and avoid trespassing.

I have 30Euros per day as budget. Works out fine. I stay almost only in albergues, I enjoy a cold beer (or two) during daytime walk, but I like to prepare supper for myself (and others, makes it more fun/social/new friends) in the afternoon- And yes, with Spanish red wine. 30 is very doable. And then some emergency reserve in the bank.

And ThisIsSpain is correct in absolutely every aspect: Cash is King in Spain. I carry my Visa and Eurocard (emergency only), and carry enough cash to last for a week down to 2 days. Then I refill up to ca. 3-400, and as ThisIsSpain says, at an ATM at a bank in the opening hours.

I suspect that the heavy focus on cash is due to the no-need for receipts, but also maybe due to costs of card readers/infrastructure: I have experienced the same in Spain and Italy: Non-traceable money is good for avoiding taxes.. I don't mind at all.

PS: Sleep in albergues rather than under the stars: You will meet many new friends and avoid trespassing.
30EURO a day sounds good. I did worry about being 'left out of the mix' if I brake off from the crowd to sleep. I will reconsider the sleeping rough, cheers

To lower the cost of a 30 day Camino I am considering sleeping under the stars ( 5euro tarp, 5euro mat, 15 euro sleeping bag, decent quality bought on-sale) . Not every nite, maybe 10 out of the 30 days. here is a pdf I downloaded the other day you might find helpful.
I had thought about that..... But I'm not sure I'd be able to sleep if I'm doing it on my own. Maybe with fellow pilgrims I could! Haha

All these comments, along with the fact that I'll be starting again in less than four months, made me dig out my journal in hopes of uncovering what it cost me last time. (Sept/Oct. 2014) From arriving in Paris (sept.4) and taking the train to Bayonne to arriving in Carrion de los Condes on Sept.23, total expenses, minus airfare, was 623.00 euros. Works out to about 33 euro a day. Don't know why I quit tracking expenses after that. Must have been having too good of a time. ;)No matter how you approach it, the Camino is dollar for dollar a pretty inexpensive way to have an experience you'll never forget. But most of all, spend according to what works for YOU. No one wants to come home to a pile of credit card bills that makes you regret the trip. You also don't want to come home with the feelings of 'I wish I had'. Cut back on some things, splurge on others and find the balance that suits you.
Thanks! Good advice!!!!

Sleeping outside is not as easy and safe as you may think: Land is owned by farmers/locals, and as I understand it, forbidden to camp outside camping areas. And that would be as costly as an albergue. Enjoy the albergues and the comeraderie and friendships you hopefully will find there. It is much up to you...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I had thought about that..... But I'm not sure I'd be able to sleep if I'm doing it on my own. Maybe with fellow pilgrims I could! Haha
Definitely not alone. would be perfect if there was a mini camping culture among the pilgrims. have yet to hear of one. If you see a particularly sunburnt Irish dude crawling out of a tarp built like a children's fort its prob me

Sleeping outside is not as easy and safe as you may think: Land is owned by farmers/locals, and as I understand it, forbidden to camp outside camping areas. And that would be as costly as an albergue. Enjoy the albergues and the comeraderie and friendships you hopefully will find there. It is much up to you...

Thank you! I appreciate your knowledge. Definitely will be staying in albergues (maybe a hotel occasionally!) ... It's definitely about the people I'm going to meet too!

Thanks!

Definitely will be staying in albergues (maybe a hotel occasionally!) ... It's definitely about the people I'm going to meet too!Thanks!
You are more spot on than you realize...;)

At the end of a walking day, if you suggest to some others you have met, to organize a common dinner in the albergue's kitchen, then go shopping together, cook together, use your combined abilities/help with dishes, etc., you could have a beautiful common evening with food/wine for let's say 5 Euros/person, and have fun and sharing stories all the evening. These things happen often on the Camino, and IMHO it is better than laying in a field alone in the dark...:)

The Camino has much in store for you...

would be perfect if there was a mini camping culture among the pilgrims.
There is no such culture, to my knowledge, after 4 Caminos.

You are more spot on than you realize...;)

At the end of a walking day, if you suggest to some others you have met, to organize a common dinner in the albergue's kitchen, then go shopping together, cook together, use your combined abilities/help with dishes, etc., you could have a beautiful common evening with food/wine for let's say 5 Euros/person, and have fun and sharing stories all the evening. These things happen often on the Camino, and IMHO it is better than laying in a field alone in the dark...:)

The Camino has much in store for you...
Yay! Thanks! I'm soooooo excited!!!

You have every reason to be: It may be life-changing for you. And I completely and fully know what you feel, and it is both good and right.

Edit: BTW: I will be on the Camino myself from early April :)

Well i'm sold,
You have every reason to be: It may be life-changing for you. And I completely and fully know what you feel, and it is both good and right.
What is the storage situation ? are there lockers or buckets full of trust?

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Edit: BTW: I will be on the Camino myself from early April :)
Oh you will?!! Maybe our paths will cross!!!

Alan: No lockers. Every pilgrim has enough with himself. Noone will desire your socks in your backpack. Just keep all your important valuables with you all the time, even in the shower. But your fellow pilgrims are just like you.

KSM: "Maybe our paths will cross!!!" Wouldn't surprise me at all. Strange things can happen to the right people on the Camino, but you have to walk it to understand. Maybe one evening I can tell you some stories over a common dinner in some albergue in rural Northern Spain. ;)

Alan: No lockers. Every pilgrim has enough with himself. Noone will desire your socks in your backpack. Just keep all your important valuables with you all the time, even in the shower. But your fellow pilgrims are just like you.

KSM: "Maybe our paths will cross!!!" Wouldn't surprise me at all. Strange things can happen to the right people on the Camino, but you have to walk it to understand. Maybe one evening I can tell you some stories over a common dinner in some albergue in rural Northern Spain. ;)
Sounds like the kind of place I want to be. Now to conquer my almost stoic shyness ha. Great insight Alex, cheers

Alan: No lockers. Every pilgrim has enough with himself. Noone will desire your socks in your backpack. Just keep all your important valuables with you all the time, even in the shower. But your fellow pilgrims are just like you.;)

I am seeing more and more lockers, with keys for you to use, sometimes. Just in case, you may want to bring a tiny lock. But really, it is a lot of trust, first and foremost. I like the lockers because it's easier to know where all my stuff is, even if the locker itselfe is a mess ;0)

Just a quick shot: I can see that both Alan and KSM are young people preparing for the Camino: How sweet! It is probably the best decision you have made in your life. If your parents/relatives/friends try to hinder you, then stay away from them: The walk of the Camino may be a life-changer for you. Take in the freedom, the independence, the easy life, and the realization that you do not need much in life to be well. You will find out.

I salute you both with only one sorrow: That I did not walk when I was your age, but had to wait until my 50's before doing it first time. I envy you a little. Now I am an old man, but I will still walk until I hit the ground: The Way is important.

Last edited:

I would love that!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just a quick shot: I can see that both Alan and KSM are young people preparing for the Camino: How sweet! It is probably the best decision you have made in your life. If your parents/relatives/friends try to hinder you, then stay away from them: The walk of the Camino may be a life-changer for you. Take in the freedom, the independence, the easy life, and the realization that you do not need much in life to be well. You will find out.

I salute you both with only one sorrow: That I did not walk when I was your age, but had to wait until my 50's before doing it first time. I envy you a little. Now I am an old man, but I will still walk until I hit the ground: The Way is important.
The devil is old and his old mother even older. :D
You are as old as you feel. It is never too late and you can look back at your caminos. But I envy the youngsters too and only can say.the younger you start your camino the better.
Bom caminho

I'm sure there are many forums about cost. You spend as much as you like/can.
After two nights in a snoring albergue you may long for a quiet small hotel. I do!
This is the exact cost of last year's camino. [Yes, I still owe you a vino, Albertinho!]
It worked out at about €54 a day.
This year in May I plan to walk the Ruta del Ebro. Very few albergues I believe. So have budgeted accordingly.

Buen camino!Fullscreen capture 08012015 091953.bmp.jpg

My husband & I are commencing our camino May 2015. We are both the wrong side of our sixties. Are there many oldies like us walking the Camino? Friends think we are nuts to commence such an undertaking, but we have walked Kokoda, Nepal, carried our packs around Asia & still feel we have the energy for the Camino. Really looking forward to starting our walk!!

My husband & I are commencing our camino May 2015. We are both the wrong side of our sixties. Are there many oldies like us walking the Camino? Friends think we are nuts to commence such an undertaking, but we have walked Kokoda, Nepal, carried our packs around Asia & still feel we have the energy for the Camino. Really looking forward to starting our walk!!
Hello Tina, my husband and I, both in our sixties are starting April 1. It will our first trek and excited and fearful at the same time. We will take day by day at our own pace and time will tell. You seem to have more experience so I am sure that you do great. All the best when May arrives.

€46,-
So you are youngsters both with a lot of hiking experience. :p You will like the camino,the nice people you'll meet, the friendship. All heading to Santiago.
Take care for the camino virus. It catches you and there is no way back.
So be prepared for the next camino and the next and the next.......:)

Last edited:
The devil is old and his old mother even older. :D
You are as old as you feel. It is never too late and you can look back at your caminos. But I envy the youngsters too and only can say.the younger you start your camino the better.
Bom caminho
Thank you so much! The support feels amazing and makes any nerves I may have had disappear. All my excitement and curiosity bubbles to the surface .... The time to go cant come fast enough!

Thank you so much! The support feels amazing and makes any nerves I may have had disappear. All my excitement and curiosity bubbles to the surface .... The time to go cant come fast enough!
You did a good job with this thread. 73 posts ! No reason to get nervous. Just do your thing. Learn from all experienced posters and then...just go... The first step is the most difficult one. The next million or so is just a matter of copying the first step
Buen camino

The support feels amazing and makes any nerves I may have had disappear.
Then you don't know what you are getting into. :)

Be a little apprehensive. You are facing a month of half-marathons daily (and with a pack). You should be just nervous enough to take it seriously. It is not easy. You can find quite a few stories in the Forum about pilgrims who were not able to meet their beginning expectations, often because they did not prepare properly, then executed the journey ignoring a lot of important advice. Pay careful attention to advice on your feet. Blisters can turn discomfort into agony! If you already have blisters at Orisson, then there will be a month of painful days ahead of you.

Buen camino! ;)

After two nights in a snoring albergue you may long for a quiet small hotel. I do!
This is the exact cost of last year's camino. [Yes, I still owe you a vino, Albertinho!]
This year in May I plan to walk the Ruta del Ebro. Very few albergues I believe. So have budgeted accordingly.

Buen camino!View attachment 15593

Stephen:

Interesting spread sheet but not typical, imo. A typical day for me would be:

Breakfast 3-5 Euro's
Lunch 5-7 Euro's
Albergue 5-10 Euro's, Private Albergue 12-20 Euro's
Dinner 8-12 Euro's

Daily cost 21-34 Euro's - staying in Private Albergues 28-44 Euro's

This is easily doable at these daily costs on the Frances. Other routes could be more expensive. On the Norte in 2014 the most I spent for a hotel was 30 euro's and that included a full breakfast. Other ways you can save is by cooking meals with others or sharing cost when using a Private Albergue.

Ultreia,
Joe

NEVER heard that rumour....ever! Any internet cafe, most mobile phone shops, most supermarkets etc Standard price 19 euros for the Bic phone
(Big sticker on packaging)
Other phones available including Smartphones (with wifi) from 45 euros. Usually even have 5/10/12 euros worth of credit on them and a voucher for more free credit if you fill in a questionnaire
BiCPhone.jpg
lol, My phone! also worked great as a radio.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Stephen: Interesting spread sheet but not typical, imo.
Indeed. You can easily go by 20-30 Euros/day (On the Frances and VdlP, that is). To be honest, cold beers are my weakness, and hence, cost.:)
I love a good cafe/bar break with my shoes off now and then, and a cold beer with it.

Plus, as you say, cooking meals with others in the albergues is both very cost-effective (3-6 Euros pp., wine incl.), plus much more social, given good people, who are not hard to find on the Camino. But of course, now and then I treat myself to a 10 Euro pilgrim menu in cafes.;) I still rarely pass that 30 Euro mark.

:):)

Be a little apprehensive. You are facing a month of half-marathons daily (and with a pack). You should be just nervous enough to take it seriously. It is not easy. You can find quite a few stories in the Forum about pilgrims who were not able to meet their beginning expectations, often because they did not prepare properly, then executed the journey ignoring a lot of important advice. Pay careful attention to advice on your feet. Blisters can turn discomfort into agony! If you already have blisters at Orisson, then there will be a month of painful days ahead of you.

Buen camino! ;)
i absolutely agree. I'm taking it very seriously, but I also believe a positive attitude will bring positive experiences. From what I've read and heard from others, is that this is also a spiritual journey (religious or other) and so I believe that as well as the training and preparations I'm making to my physical body, I also need to prepare my mind. Minimizing any nerves or anxiousness I believe will aid in a better experience. I plan to fill my head with knowledge so I can relax in my thoughts and worries that I have done all preparations before I left, and on the walk I can trust in myself and fully live the experiences.

I appreciate your advice.... But don't underestimate the power and strength of the mind.
Thanks

Buen camino! ;)

My joy in seeing young people walking the Camino is based on personal experience: I have met and talked to many young people on the Camino, and I can for sure say, that most of them have gained more insight into life and meaning of life, as well as to what is important in their lives, than those who sit on their couches and critizise/are afraid of getting out of their comfort zone, not really knowing life.

The cost of the Camino has been revealed now, methinks, so I will go a bit off-topic, for the benefit of Alan and KSM:

I have experienced people 22 years old with much more wisdom in their hearts and minds than that of their parents, after finishing the Camino... What a great start to their adult lives! It can be a life-changer.

I admire (and envy) those young people (for starting in early life), and I am thrilled when I see that they are able to cross the treshold of their doorsteps and take that first step towards the Camino: That step is the most difficult. After that, everything will fall into place, well, except for blisters, exhaustion, etc., but all that is part of the Way.

Those brave young people will have a true headstart into real life. Their old couch-folks/friends do not understand what they are receiving as (mental/intellectiual) valuables for their future lives, compared to all those "wise" folks at home, old or young. I can only say:

Do not listen to those who think they know better than you: YOU know better, because you are here, talking to, and getting advice from, us who know some of the secrets of the Way. And rest assured: You are definitely on the right path.

Edit:

:):)
i absolutely agree. I'm taking it very seriously, but I also believe a positive attitude will bring positive experiences. From what I've read and heard from others, is that this is also a spiritual journey (religious or other) and so I believe that as well as the training and preparations I'm making to my physical body, I also need to prepare my mind. Minimizing any nerves or anxiousness I believe will aid in a better experience. I plan to fill my head with knowledge so I can relax in my thoughts and worries that I have done all preparations before I left, and on the walk I can trust in myself and fully live the experiences.

I appreciate your advice.... But don't underestimate the power and strength of the mind.
Thanks
My goodness: You posted that while I wrote this last post!.

And yes: Your mind is essential on the Camino: Let me tell you one simple, single thing: You are so correct!! This will be a mind journey for you! You are the right stuff for the Camino, KSM!

Ultreya! (Keep on!)
Buen Camino! (Happy walk!)

Last edited:
My joy in seeing young people walking the Camino is based on personal experience: I have met and talked to many young people on the Camino, and I can for sure say, that most of them have gained more insight into life and meaning of life, as well as to what is important in their lives, than those who sit on their couches and critizise/are afraid of getting out of their comfort zone, not really knowing life.

The cost of the Camino has been revealed now, methinks, so I will go a bit off-topic, for the benefit of Alan and KSM:

I have experienced people 22 years old with much more wisdom in their hearts and minds than that of their parents, after finishing the Camino... What a great start to their adult lives! It can be a life-changer.

I admire (and envy) those young people (for starting in early life), and I am thrilled when I see that they are able to cross the treshold of their doorsteps and take that first step towards the Camino: That step is the most difficult. After that, everything will fall into place, well, except for blisters, exhaustion, etc., but all that is part of the Way.

Those brave young people will have a true headstart into real life. Their old couch-folks/friends do not understand what they are receiving as (mental/intellectiual) valuables for their future lives, compared to all those "wise" folks at home, old or young. I can only say:

Do not listen to those who think they know better than you: YOU know better, because you are here, talking to, and getting advice from, us who know some of the secrets of the Way. And rest assured: You are definitely on the right path.

Edit:

My goodness: You posted that while I wrote this last post!.

And yes: Your mind is essential on the Camino: Let me tell you one simple, single thing: You are so correct!! This will be a mind journey for you! You are the right stuff for the Camino, KSM!

Ultreya! (Keep on!)
Buen Camino! (Happy walk!)
Haha! That's funny!
I feel like we will meet on the camino alexwalker!

Yay! Thank you for saying "I'm the right stuff" .... I think my head is in a good place:.: and maybe more so in the right place now than last year.... And maybe breaking my leg and not being able to go, the universe was speaking to me telling me I wasn't ready. Everything happens for a reason right!??

Thanks again

Haha! That's funny!
I feel like we will meet on the camino alexwalker!

Yay! Thank you for saying "I'm the right stuff" .... I think my head is in a good place:.: and maybe more so in the right place now than last year.... And maybe breaking my leg and not being able to go, the universe was speaking to me telling me I wasn't ready. Everything happens for a reason right!??Thanks again
You will find that everything happens for a reason, and very much so along the Way. The Camino is a strange place.

As we say on this forum: "The Camino will give you what you need, not what you want." This saying seems to be remarkably true. Ponder that. Do not set expectations, but be ready to receive what the Camino will send your way, whether it being lessons, gifts, or help. Subtle. I am sure, given your attitude, that you will have a time of your life on the Camino. Just be humble/thankful.

.... I think my head is in a good place:.: "
Indeed it is.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Indeed. You can easily go by 20-30 Euros/day (On the Frances and VdlP, that is). To be honest, cold beers are my weakness, and hence, cost.:)
I love a good cafe/bar break with my shoes off now and then, and a cold beer with it. I still rarely pass that 30 Euro mark.
Well ... I have never walked the French camino: maybe others are slightly more expensive. Also, please note those costs include travel. If you're flying from Australia for a week on the camino, your daily cost may be even higher!!
And please note it included EVERYTHING - a watch repair, new underwear, even a new umbrella ....
I don't book accommodation in advance: and I tend to sleep where I end up early afternoon. Often there are no albergues.
It was only a personal spreadsheet, posted for interest. Apologies if you think it untypical :( !!
Buen camino!

Don't hesitate, book your flight and go. I turned 65 just after we finished our Camino, my wife was 60. We are like you, we have always backpacked, Asia ,India, Nepal and Canada. This year we are walking the Le Puy route in France. Just because we are grey does not stop us from walking.

Hi KSM another oldie here sorry about that, but just a suggestion get a forum badge from Ivar in the online shop. Then when you are on Camino you will recognise the badge on other people's packs. Not only will you make new friends, but you will also find old ones that you know of, on this forum!
You are going on an adventure, just go with no expectations an open mind Buen Camino KSM:)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Thanks!!!
30 euro a day for us each that is , atm were plentiful but debit cards from the uk they charge and different Spanish banks different charges ! If your starting from SJPD when you pick up your pilgrims passport there's loads of info on the papers they give you where the atm are and so forth ..Buen Camino have a good one

Thanks!!!

Buen camino!View attachment 15593
comprehensive little spreadsheet you have there. thanks for posting.

KSM:
A total budget of $3000. should be plenty. That should cover everything. ATM's are available in most towns. I would recommend you do not let your funds get below 50 euro's before replenishing.
Ultreia, Joe
I am not saying otherwise, nevertheless: Reaching O'Cebreiro on my last 50 €, to my surprise there was no ATM, so be aware. I had to spend 40€ for a private room (all other beds occupied) and 10 € for dinner and wine. I fed on berries through the next day until reaching Triacastela..... and felt like a true pilgrim :D

Do I need to start bugging my card issuers for a chip and pin credit card or will I be able to get by with a magnetic strip.

Thanks & Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
will I be able to get by with a magnetic strip.
Strip cards are fine now. Remember to get a four digit PIN for ATM cards. American Express is pretty useless. Credit cards will be useful only in the fancier places; cash is king!

European trips in the past, I've gotten the eyerolls when I hand my mag strip credit card to pay. It still worked everywhere I needed it. But at least one of my credit card issuers is offering chip and pin on request so I think I will ask for replacements and any new cards will have to be C&C.

Strip cards are fine now. Remember to get a four digit PIN for ATM cards. American Express is pretty useless. Credit cards will be useful only in the fancier places; cash is king!

Every card in my wallet today has a Visa symbol on it and both of my Debit cards have 4 digit PINs. So I'm set as far as that goes.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back